ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeyes with their hands full

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arkansas St would probably kick the living hell out of Iowa St
giphy.gif

Reactions: CT_Hawkeye
I am surprised Nebraska hasn't tried to schedule Iowa St. to start the year for a home and home. Easy trip for the fans of both teams and still have an Oregon type game to follow. Probably because Nebraska would have everything to lose and nothing to gain.

Why doesn't Iowa ever schedule an upper-tier P5 program in the OOC? Like a Notre Dame, Oregon, USC, Miami, Oklahoma, ..........anyone?

Why doesn't Iowa ever schedule an upper-tier P5 program in the OOC? Like a Notre Dame, Oregon, USC, Miami, Oklahoma, ..........anyone?
They are trying to but there are some logistical challenges with having to play ISU every year. There are only 3 OOC games now. Prior to that, Iowa played 2 P5 teams every year.

Iowa's AD want to have 7 home games each year for revenue purposes. They were close to making a deal with Notre Dame but that didn't end up working out partly because of the ISU series.

They are trying to but there are some logistical challenges with having to play ISU every year. There are only 3 OOC games now. Prior to that, Iowa played 2 P5 teams every year.

Iowa's AD want to have 7 home games each year for revenue purposes. They were close to making a deal with Notre Dame but that didn't end up working out partly because of the ISU series.

I understand that, but even in the days of just 8-conference games Iowa never scheduled the upper-tier P5 programs. Has ISU always been the crutch?

OMG, as the OP of this thread if I'd ever thought an Iowa thread would have this many replies I would've never started it. Any way for me to delete it? Sick

This is fantastic stuff, love Husker fans. Nether fan base should be throwing stones. If you schedule tough out of conference teams... you should probably beat them once in a while

This is fantastic stuff, love Husker fans. Nether fan base should be throwing stones. If you schedule tough out of conference teams... you should probably beat them once in a while
How would you know? As a fan of fake id you don't get an opinion.

Reactions: SOHusker11
I understand that, but even in the days of just 8-conference games Iowa never scheduled the upper-tier P5 programs. Has ISU always been the crutch?
From my memory, you'll have to look up to verify- Iowa has played the following, most multiple times- out of conf outside of ISU

AZ, ASU, Oregon, Miami, penn State, Pitt,Syracuse, KState, Nebraska, Tennessee, NC State, Colorado. Not murders row, but all but Syr were bowl caliber when they played and Syr was scheduled when they were good. I guess I would consider those programs/opp upper tier, but not nessarily all elite. Mizzou broke contract on a 4 game series in the 2000s and left them in a lurch. They tried for ND, couldn't get them to agree on terms. They also had N Ill during their Orange Bowl era and other strong team era, Miami of Ohio during Big Ben days.

I know it's not reasonable to expect non-Iowa fans, or those under the age of 20 to remember. But if w think back on ours(yes I say ours (going to Neb games since 1970, graduated from Iowa)...is ours really that much more imposing over time?

The ISU game really puts them in a flexibility bind when other peer programs also need home and homes with compatible dates.

From my memory, you'll have to look up to verify- Iowa has played the following, most multiple times- out of conf outside of ISU

AZ, ASU, Oregon, Miami, penn State, Pitt,Syracuse, KState, Nebraska, Tennessee, NC State, Colorado. Not murders row, but all but Syr were bowl caliber when they played and Syr was scheduled when they were good. I guess I would consider those programs/opp upper tier, but not nessarily all elite. Mizzou broke contract on a 4 game series in the 2000s and left them in a lurch. They tried for ND, couldn't get them to agree on terms. They also had N Ill during their Orange Bowl era and other strong team era, Miami of Ohio during Big Ben days.

I know it's not reasonable to expect non-Iowa fans, or those under the age of 20 to remember. But if w think back on ours(yes I say ours (going to Neb games since 1970, graduated from Iowa)...is ours really that much more imposing over time?

The ISU game really puts them in a flexibility bind when other peer programs also need home and homes with compatible dates.

Since 2000, Iowa has scheduled the following P5 teams in the non-conference:

Arizona (x2)
Arizona State (x2)
Iowa State (x18)
Kansas State
Nebraska
Pittsburgh (x2)
Syracuse (x2)

Pittsburgh (x2) (Iowa played Pitt twice before 2013, when they were not P5 members)

Comparatively, Nebraska has played the following P5 schools since 2000

Arizona State
BYU
Iowa
Miami (FL) (x2)
Notre Dame (x2)
Oregon (x2)
Penn State (x2)
UCLA (x2)
USC (x2)
Virginia Tech (x2)
Wake Forest (x2)
Washington (x2)

Looking at future schedules, not counting Iowa State, Iowa has future P5 matchups scheduled with nobody. Nebraska has matchups scheduled with Colorado (x4), Oklahoma (x4), Tennessee (x2), Arizona (x2).

Arizona (x2)
Arizona State (x2)
Iowa State (x18)
Kansas State
Nebraska
Pittsburgh (x2)
Syracuse (x2)

Pittsburgh (x2) (Iowa played Pitt twice before 2013, when they were not P5 members)

Arizona State
BYU
Iowa
Miami (FL) (x2)
Notre Dame (x2)
Oregon (x2)
Penn State (x2)
UCLA (x2)
USC (x2)
Virginia Tech (x2)
Wake Forest (x2)
Washington (x2)

Looking at future schedules, not counting Iowa State, Iowa has future P5 matchups scheduled with nobody. Nebraska has matchups scheduled with Colorado (x4), Oklahoma (x4), Tennessee (x2), Arizona (x2).

Just curious how BYU is a P5 school, but Pitt apparently wasn't half the times Iowa played them? They've been Big East and ACC. The Big East was a BCS conference at the time (pre playoffs). Of course Nebraska fans would know that the Big East was a power conference, as they met Miami in a BCS bowl in January of '02. I'd be a real stickler and say that ND isn't a P5 school either - by definition it is not - but I think i know what you're going for here, in which case, Pitt is every bit the P5/BCS/whatever you want to call it. It's certainly better than BYU, who'se been a member of the WAC, the Mountain West, and is now an independent.

And here's why we Hawk fans hate the Iowa State game in the era of 9 conference games but can't do anything about it:

In odd years, Iowa has to travel to Ames but gets 5 Big Ten home games. That means the other two OOC games have to be at home for financial reasons. We need 7 home games. Find me a relevant athletic department that doesn't. Let's say we get Bama to come to Kinnick as one of those two OOC games. Now we've got to play at Bama the next season. Schools want home and homes.

Except, in an even year, we've only got 4 Big Ten home games and Iowa State. We still need two more OOC games and they have to be played in Kinnick. So good luck convincing Bama, or any P5 school, to come to Iowa City with no return trip. Enter MAC schools and FCS teams. It sucks and there's a large contingent of Iowa fans who'd like to play ISU 2 years on, 2 years off so we could play other P5 teams. We had a deal with Notre Dame in the works and ISU wouldn't budge and ND subsequently scheduled the series with Wisconsin, who also isn't bound to play an in state school.

Waaaaaah. Iowa State has had a handful of winning records over the past 60 years. They haven't had a coach with an overall winning record since Earl freaking Bruce in the 1970's and the last one before that was in the 1920's.

It is the same as scheduling Vandy or Wake Forest or Oregon St or Kansas. Lets not act like Iowa St is Oklahoma or Tennessee.

Rivalry or not, Iowa St is a door mat and propping them up only makes you look more pathetic

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
At this point our conflict of schedule has been discussed and there isn't any other way to slice it but again I will reiterate that most Hawk fans would like that series to die a quick death, but it won't happen.

Last edited:
We are not "propping" them when discussing schedule they are a giant thorn in the side. If you cannot figure that out I don't know what to tell you. I will go on and say again iowa State would beat the pants off arky and I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope Isu plays in that battle of #5 from b12 and pac12 because I could see them getting Oregon...... but I'm not that lucky.

Just curious how BYU is a P5 school, but Pitt apparently wasn't half the times Iowa played them? They've been Big East and ACC. The Big East was a BCS conference at the time (pre playoffs). Of course Nebraska fans would know that the Big East was a power conference, as they met Miami in a BCS bowl in January of '02. I'd be a real stickler and say that ND isn't a P5 school either - by definition it is not - but I think i know what you're going for here, in which case, Pitt is every bit the P5/BCS/whatever you want to call it. It's certainly better than BYU, who'se been a member of the WAC, the Mountain West, and is now an independent.

And here's why we Hawk fans hate the Iowa State game in the era of 9 conference games but can't do anything about it:

In odd years, Iowa has to travel to Ames but gets 5 Big Ten home games. That means the other two OOC games have to be at home for financial reasons. We need 7 home games. Find me a relevant athletic department that doesn't. Let's say we get Bama to come to Kinnick as one of those two OOC games. Now we've got to play at Bama the next season. Schools want home and homes.

Except, in an even year, we've only got 4 Big Ten home games and Iowa State. We still need two more OOC games and they have to be played in Kinnick. So good luck convincing Bama, or any P5 school, to come to Iowa City with no return trip. Enter MAC schools and FCS teams. It sucks and there's a large contingent of Iowa fans who'd like to play ISU 2 years on, 2 years off so we could play other P5 teams. We had a deal with Notre Dame in the works and ISU wouldn't budge and ND subsequently scheduled the series with Wisconsin, who also isn't bound to play an in state school.

I was going to leave BYU off, they are a tweener team. Notre Dame is most certainly a P5 opponent. Iowa played Pitt four times, twice as ACC members, twice as Big East members (not Power 5). The Huskers played Pitt twice in the 2000s as well, did not list them because they were not P5.

We are not "propping" them when discussing schedule they are a giant thorn in the side. If you cannot figure that out I don't know what to tell you. I will go on and say again iowa State would beat the pants off arky and I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope Isu plays in that battle of #5 from b12 and pac12 because I could see them getting Oregon...... but I'm not that lucky.

What? You're using the game against Iowa St as a reason to not play a big time opponent in the non con. Schedule the home and home opposite of Iowa st. They aren't any different than playing good MAC teams.

Arizona (x2)
Arizona State (x2)
Iowa State (x18)
Kansas State
Nebraska
Pittsburgh (x2)
Syracuse (x2)

Arizona State
BYU
Iowa
Miami (FL) (x2)
Notre Dame (x2)
Oregon (x2)
Penn State (x2)
UCLA (x2)
USC (x2)
Virginia Tech (x2)
Wake Forest (x2)
Washington (x2)

since you are replying to me, probably the only knuckle head that likes both teams, my response was to the guy that asked why Iowa didn't schedule more in the days of 8 game conf schedules....which includes some things prior to the arbitrary date of 2000. And, if BYU is included as a power 5, you need to add Wyoming for both programs, as well as MAC teams, Sunbelt, etc.

This pi$$ing contest is funny....so lets continue to nit pick - Northern Illinois when they went to the Orange Bowl(only loss to Iowa), Miami of Ohio with Big Ben (only loss one year to Iowa) were stiffer comp than the Miami Nebraska faced the past couple of years, probably the Notre Dame teams we faced, certainly the Washington teams we saw on our schedule, and Oregon(last year and we'll see about this year), and on and on.

I'm in the camp that neither really need to apologize much about what they do in the non-conf, they are very challenged enough each year in the conference, and overall the difference for MOST P5 non conf schedules is marginal. What you get with FBS non P5s, like BYU, Wyoming, N Ill, Ark State, N Tex State et al is luck of the draw....some are going to be a pain in the butt if they are 'that' group of 5 contender, or a snoozer in most other cases.

GBR and Go Hawks

Reactions: Arbitr8
Sounds like an SEC excuse for playing Samford and Wafford and all the other fords. We play a tough conference schedule. blah blah blah. Play a big name program and Iowa St.

Sounds like an SEC excuse for playing Samford and Wafford and all the other fords. We play a tough conference schedule. blah blah blah. Play a big name program and Iowa St.
Fair enough. Our toughest one is Oregon that won, what 3 last year, and will probably be a 7 win team-Tops, this year. Murders row

Major difference as to why Iowa can't use the SEC excuse is that Iowa is a mid level B1G team and doesn't win when playing on the biggest stage.
Their fans cannot stand the fact that Iowa and Nebraska are virtually even in total W/L record over the past 15 seasons, those 15 seasons are some of iowas best seasons while Nebraska has floundered through coaching and AD changes.
I'm still waiting for an objective Iowa fan.

What? You're using the game against Iowa St as a reason to not play a big time opponent in the non con. Schedule the home and home opposite of Iowa st. They aren't any different than playing good MAC teams.

Iowa cannot have 7 home games in any season that they have to go to another P5 OOC opponent's homefield.

Ideally, Iowa should drop Iowa State.

Major difference as to why Iowa can't use the SEC excuse is that Iowa is a mid level B1G team and doesn't win when playing on the biggest stage.
Their fans cannot stand the fact that Iowa and Nebraska are virtually even in total W/L record over the past 15 seasons, those 15 seasons are some of iowas best seasons while Nebraska has floundered through coaching and AD changes.
I'm still waiting for an objective Iowa fan.

If only there were an objective way of comparing the football teams of Nebraska and Iowa.

If only there were an objective way of comparing the football teams of Nebraska and Iowa.
Nebraska owns that objective way against KF and all time. KF needs 3 more straight wins to get on the plus side and Iowa will never catch up all time.

Waaaaaah. Iowa State has had a handful of winning records over the past 60 years. They haven't had a coach with an overall winning record since Earl freaking Bruce in the 1970's and the last one before that was in the 1920's.

It is the same as scheduling Vandy or Wake Forest or Oregon St or Kansas. Lets not act like Iowa St is Oklahoma or Tennessee.

Rivalry or not, Iowa St is a door mat and propping them up only makes you look more pathetic
Hey Kansas has been in a BCS bowl more recently and just as many times as Nebraska right?

Schedule the home and home opposite of Iowa st.

Show us all how to "schedule the home and home opposite of Iowa St." while allowing for 7 home games in the era of 9 Big Ten games. You may use my template below. Bolded spots cannot be moved. This ought to be good.

Odd year
(open slot)
@Iowa State
(open slot)
Big Ten Home
Big Ten Home
Big Ten Home
Big Ten Home

Big Ten Home

@ Big Ten
@ Big Ten
@ Big Ten
@ Big Ten

Even year
(open slot)
Iowa State Home
(open slot)
Big Ten Home
Big Ten Home
Big Ten Home
Big Ten Home
@ Big Ten
@ Big Ten
@ Big Ten
@ Big Ten
@ Big Ten

Show us all how to "schedule the home and home opposite of Iowa St." while allowing for 7 home games in the era of 9 Big Ten games. You may use my template below. Bolded spots cannot be moved. This ought to be good.

Odd year
(open slot)
@Iowa State
(open slot)
Big Ten Home
Big Ten Home
Big Ten Home
Big Ten Home

Big Ten Home
@ Big Ten
@ Big Ten
@ Big Ten
@ Big Ten

Even year
(open slot)
Iowa State Home
(open slot)
Big Ten Home
Big Ten Home
Big Ten Home
Big Ten Home
@ Big Ten
@ Big Ten
@ Big Ten
@ Big Ten
@ Big Ten
The solution that needs to happen is either drop ISU or keep them and do a nuetral site game with someone big. Wisconsin does it and doesn't seem to have issues.

Reactions: E.RogerCoswell
The real solution is Iowa needs to give up a home game until they become a national power and then they can demand scheduling priorities. Two things that will never happen, Iowa giving up a home game to strengthen their OOC schedule and Iowa becoming a national power.

The real solution is Iowa needs to give up a home game until they become a national power and then they can demand scheduling priorities. Two things that will never happen, Iowa giving up a home game to strengthen their OOC schedule and Iowa becoming a national power.

there is little to be gained from scheduling tough games out of conference
If you win the conference with one loss there is a decent chance you make the playoffs
Iowa was a 4th down play from being in the playoffs a couple of years ago - and MSU won that game with a single conference loss and made the playoffs

makes for exciting games but risk is greater than reward - FSU has to run the table now to make the playoff and lost their starting QB - congrats for scheduling alabama and flushing your season after one game

P5 Teams that off the top of my head we have played non-con not bowls in the Fry-Ferentz era.
UCLA
Oklahoma
Oregon
Tennessee
NC State
Miami FL
Arizona
Arizona St.
Pittsburgh
Kansas St.
Iowa St.
Syracuse
Colorado
Penn St.
Nebraska

I do. Do you?

The things you say make it seem like you absolutely do not.

Anyway, we're in the weeds. Long story short, Iowa fans aren't thrilled with being stuck with ISU on our schedule. Our state legislature mandates that we play them, and thus ever since the beginning of the 9 game Big Ten schedule, we're very much chained to the Clowns. Prior to the 9 game conference schedule, Iowa was very good about playing two Power 5/BCS schools (read up on that here), which not a lot of schools can claim. As I look back on Nebraska's recent schedules, I see a lot of mid majors and only one BCS/Power 5 team in the preconference portion each year. Not our fault Iowa State typically sucks.

The things you say make it seem like you absolutely do not.

Anyway, we're in the weeds. Long story short, Iowa fans aren't thrilled with being stuck with ISU on our schedule. Our state legislature mandates that we play them, and thus ever since the beginning of the 9 game Big Ten schedule, we're very much chained to the Clowns. Prior to the 9 game conference schedule, Iowa was very good about playing two Power 5/BCS schools (read up on that here), which not a lot of schools can claim. As I look back on Nebraska's recent schedules, I see a lot of mid majors and only one BCS/Power 5 team in the preconference portion each year. Not our fault Iowa State typically sucks.

Really? The legislature mandates the series? Never heard that one before. Got a reference for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT