ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeyes with their hands full

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not going to get in an argument with you, you are going to think what you want no matter how wrong you are. Again, rivalry game, best set of WR we will play against, going against a "weakness" due to inexperience. Not sure if you watched it but all they had was the long ball and now we have tape to learn from. They scored 41, at home, in an overtime game with a former 4 star QB who got kicked out of the SEC because he didn't go to class and 2 maybe 3 NFL receivers. I won't ask about the points you have let up home or away but think both fan bases would say "it's early."

Ah yes...here it comes, the ole "But..But..it's a rivalry game." Love that one. When you sign a rivalry game with Oklahoma or USC or Florida State you let me know. Until then, every time your fans say something about a rivalry game with a perennial cellar dweller in the Big 12 North, just do yourselves a favor, and don't day a word. People laugh at you EVERY TIME you pull that excuse out.

Ah yes...here it comes, the ole "But..But..it's a rivalry game." Love that one. When you sign a rivalry game with Oklahoma or USC or Florida State you let me know. Until then, every time your fans say something about a rivalry game with a perennial cellar dweller in the Big 12 North, just do yourselves a favor, and don't day a word. People laugh at you EVERY TIME you pull that excuse out.

Of all of the things in that you focused on the rivalry, that was your decision. FWIW I know those "rivalries" bring alot of pride to you when they were active and relevant but in our state you are either on the winning side or losing side for 364 days a year. There isn't another D1 program in Neb so you really don't know what it's like. Think about if half of your coworkers would have been Colorado fans during the 90's. Again, that isn't my focus. Their strength was our weakness and we found a way to get a W. The slight differences in Iowa year after year is the ability to claw out the close ones. In 15 we had the swagger to do it. In 16 we did not. It is still very early but yesterday was an example of a team that could have folded in a hostile environment that refused to lose.

Of all of the things in that you focused on the rivalry, that was your decision. FWIW I know those "rivalries" bring alot of pride to you when they were active and relevant but in our state you are either on the winning side or losing side for 364 days a year. There isn't another D1 program in Neb so you really don't know what it's like. Think about if half of your coworkers would have been Colorado fans during the 90's. Again, that isn't my focus. Their strength was our weakness and we found a way to get a W. The slight differences in Iowa year after year is the ability to claw out the close ones. In 15 we had the swagger to do it. In 16 we did not. It is still very early but yesterday was an example of a team that could have folded in a hostile environment that refused to lose.

Yeah, that Jack Trice sure is a hostile intimidating place. We always struggled there too. RollingLaugh

I told you not to do it, and what do you do...immediately go to "Iowa State Rivalry" again. Stop talking about an Iowa State Rivalry!! There is no such thing with a cellar dweller.

Yeah, we don't know about rivalries. We only had one for decades and decades with the 2nd best program in the history of college football. JUST STOP! NOW!!

You are picking the parts you think you have ground to stand on while ignoring the other information. Accepting the fact Oregon is better than Arky state. What felt better: winning against arky state who put up a fair amount of points from a non P5 at home who you stopped on the 10 yard line or holding a better team to 0 points in the second half away from home? If the answer is that you felt better after the W, why are you hating on Iowa finding a way to get a W? Again, the weakness of this team going into the year was Defensive backfield and passing offense. We beat the best passing unit we will play and are leading the b10 in passing touchdowns. Those are hard to ignore.

You are picking the parts you think you have ground to stand on while ignoring the other information. Accepting the fact Oregon is better than Arky state. What felt better: winning against arky state who put up a fair amount of points from a non P5 at home who you stopped on the 10 yard line or holding a better team to 0 points in the second half away from home? If the answer is that you felt better after the W, why are you hating on Iowa finding a way to get a W? Again, the weakness of this team going into the year was Defensive backfield and passing offense. We beat the best passing unit we will play and are leading the b10 in passing touchdowns. Those are hard to ignore.

Oh my.. You may have played the best passing team you will have in the non-conference, but don't you play Penn State and Northwestern? Both of those QBs will be better than what you just faced, as will their runing games, and their defenses won't give up 45. And there are a lot of receiver corps better than Iowa State in the BiG.

Reactions: H8FULLGR8
Mcsorrley is a better qb for sure and I have not seen thorson enough this year to compare, neither of those teams have 2 or 3 NFL caliber WR's. I won't compare RB as that would be silly but I'm not worried about a teams ability to run on us and honestly PSU might play for a NT so saying they have a good offense isn't breaking news. They just don't have the receivers Isu had. Again, we only got beat on the long ball. "Track meet" b12 football is not how I would describe psu.

Last edited:
Mcsorrley is a better qb for sure and I have not seen thorson enough this year to compare neither of those teams have 2 or 3 NFL caliber WR. I won't compare RB as that would be silly but I'm not worried about a teams ability to run in us and honestly PSU might play for a NT so saying they have a good offense isn't breaking news. They just don't have the receivers osu had. Again, we only got beat on the long ball. "Track meet" b12 football is not how I would describe psu.

Unfortunately you probably need to look at the running game and passing game together. And you forget play action, which a good running team impacts substantially. Giving up 41 to Iowa State isn't a good sign, regardless of how you slice it. A good team would have put Iowa away yesterday.

You are focusing on what you want here while avoiding everything you don't. OOC games are designed to get you ready for conf play. We have now faced a very good qb and a very good WR group in our first two games and are 2-0. N.TEXAS put up 400+ yards receiving and will give us a chance to iron out even more of the DB play before the B10 starts. I would love to win games 70-0 and get the pick of 5* guys but that isn't Iowa. Right now we have a very young secondary, a group of freshman WR that are starting to turn heads and we are 2-0. You gave up 36 (?)at home against a non p5 and there was plenty of complaining but you still were 1-0.

You love the 41 number but you have up 36 at home and 42 on the road in regulation. We have up 41 in overtime, away.

I'm not the one saying our defense will be able to handle the rigors of the BiG. You were.

But we will improve, just based solely on the fact that new defenses take a good half a season or more to start playing good ball. Your defense wasn't going through a wholesale scheme change and change in DC, was it? I guarantee your DC wasn't happy with your team's defensive performance.

Of course he isn't, Parker is the man. Where did I say anything about the neb d other than maybe you shouldn't throw stones. Hey man it's all good. You are going to focus on what your going to focus on. Beat Wiscy and we will see you black friday.

Reactions: Arbitr8
Oh my.. You may have played the best passing team you will have in the non-conference, but don't you play Penn State and Northwestern? Both of those QBs will be better than what you just faced, as will their runing games, and their defenses won't give up 45. And there are a lot of receiver corps better than Iowa State in the BiG.
Neither one is as good as the QB of Wyoming.

Reactions: INHawk12
Figured I would chime in here.

It is a strange thing because on the outside looking in and by all accounts ISU is usually a bad to very bad CFB program. That is what has been so frustrating as an Iowa fan because we are favorites every year and most years they play us tough and have beaten us more times than I would like to admit. There was a stat they kept showing during the game; Iowas average of vicotry was around 20+ points and ISU's was 2.6. Meaning we have basically lost every close game we could to ISU.

There is something to be said about being an instate rivalry that is hard for most Nebraska fans to grasp. There is a lot of emotion for a lot of those kids; most of whom from the state Iowa probably passed over.

Reactions: terrehawk
You mean how they weren't giving Iowa State's QB Mark time to throw, on their way to putting up 41 points? RollingLaugh Like I said, you people are delusional. Iowa State...let me say that again...Iowa State...put up 41 points on your defense. Get out of here with that garbage.

Arkansas St? In Lincoln? And you're talking smack? 40-10

Reactions: terrehawk
C'mon man that's not close to the truth. It might make you feel good because Arky state ran a system and it had you guys on your heels but Iowa State would beat them on a neutral site 9/10. I watch ALOT of football and I have never seen a team tackle as poorly as Arky state. The b12 is known for not playing any D and basketball offense and there is no way Arky state would keep up. Also, while I wouldnt bet my 401k on it at a neutral field I would take WYO over Arky st.

Last edited:
C'mon man that's not close to the truth. It might make you feel good because Arky state ran a system and it had you guys on your heels but Iowa State would beat them on a neutral site 9/10. I watch ALOT of football and I have never seen a team tackle as poorly as Arky state. The b12 is know for not playing any D and basketball offense and there is no way Arky state would keep up. Also, while I wouldnt bet my 401k on it at a neutral field I would take WYO over Arky st.
Maybe just like it feels good that after ripping isu all week, now the tune has changed for Iowa fan. I've never met an objective Iowa fan and very few classy ones, move along.

Drawing conclusions from one game is ridiculous. Hell, Iowa beat ISU 42-3 last year and then turned around and lost to NDSU the very next week. Get out of Ames with a win. Fix the two plays that resulted in long TDs and things are good. ISU may actually make a bowl game this year.

And yes, they may have the best WRs in the Big Ten. For sure top three.

Well then prepare to meet someone new.
Also, I don't understand your first sentence or what you were trying to say.
My first sentence is pretty clear, read your post, then read my post. Typical Iowa fan was blasting how horrible isu is and how the series is terrible for Iowa and now that it took OT to beat them, most of you have changed your tune. I find that hypocrisy typical of the Iowa fan base.

C'mon man that's not close to the truth. It might make you feel good because Arky state ran a system and it had you guys on your heels but Iowa State would beat them on a neutral site 9/10. I watch ALOT of football and I have never seen a team tackle as poorly as Arky state. The b12 is known for not playing any D and basketball offense and there is no way Arky state would keep up. Also, while I wouldnt bet my 401k on it at a neutral field I would take WYO over Arky st.

On a neutral field Massey Ratings has ISU as a 6 point favorite over Arkansas St at this point in the season. That's probably fair. Iowa St is probably going to win max 5 games this year if they are lucky...I'm not sure why Iowa fans are trying to hard to make Iowa St out to be some juggernaut. Iowa/Nebraska spots are probably going to change 10 more times by the time they face off so it's not worth arguing over who is more mediocre.

You will find that most of us hate that game. We crushed them last year and dropped in the polls, we beat them this Year at their place, and dropped in the polls. We get ZERO credit for playing 2 p-5 teams each year because "they are iowa State" and cannot schedule something that would benefit our brand. This is a stupid game our stupid ad has locked us into because the brass at the top likes the game. I cannot speak for other Iowa fans, and I'm still not sure what your saying, but I assure you that you cannot find a post by me talking about Iowa State prior to the kickoff.

On a neutral field Massey Ratings has ISU as a 6 point favorite over Arkansas St at this point in the season. That's probably fair. Iowa St is probably going to win max 5 games this year if they are lucky...I'm not sure why Iowa fans are trying to hard to make Iowa St out to be some juggernaut. Iowa/Nebraska spots are probably going to change 10 more times by the time they face off so it's not worth arguing over who is more mediocre.
The same reason some Husker fans are making Arkansas State out to be a juggernaut. To add credibility to their side.

No need to make any excuses, Iowa is 2 - 0 and Nebraska is .500 for the season.

Drawing conclusions from one game is ridiculous. Hell, Iowa beat ISU 42-3 last year and then turned around and lost to NDSU the very next week. Get out of Ames with a win. Fix the two plays that resulted in long TDs and things are good. ISU may actually make a bowl game this year.

And yes, they may have the best WRs in the Big Ten. For sure top three.
On any given Saturday.......everybody has some talent now. No more 5 deep scholarship athletes anymore for the big boys. All it takes is for some things to go the right way for a team to pull off an upset.

To be fair, I think the Hawkeyes might have been off their game because Beth Mowins wasn't at the mic. She's doing the Broncos-Chargers game tonight instead.

You will find that most of us hate that game. We crushed them last year and dropped in the polls, we beat them this Year at their place, and dropped in the polls. We get ZERO credit for playing 2 p-5 teams each year because "they are iowa State" and cannot schedule something that would benefit our brand. This is a stupid game our stupid ad has locked us into because the brass at the top likes the game. I cannot speak for other Iowa fans, and I'm still not sure what your saying, but I assure you that you cannot find a post by me talking about Iowa State prior to the kickoff.

Who is the other P5 team you are playing this year?

You will have to excuse me Wyoming is not P5 so this year we didn't not play 2 p5 teams because our ad is a dunce and wanted to play his alma mater . In years past we have played pitt, Syracuse, Arizona, etc while ALWAYS having ISU on the schedule. There are very few teams that schedule 2 p5's and we did it regularly and it never got noticed because iowa State is iowa State.

I am surprised Nebraska hasn't tried to schedule Iowa St. to start the year for a home and home. Easy trip for the fans of both teams and still have an Oregon type game to follow. Probably because Nebraska would have everything to lose and nothing to gain.

I am surprised Nebraska hasn't tried to schedule Iowa St. to start the year for a home and home. Easy trip for the fans of both teams and still have an Oregon type game to follow. Probably because Nebraska would have everything to lose and nothing to gain.

That, and if you're going to schedule an old Big 8 rival, better to schedule those who will get the fans excited. NU has Colorado and Oklahoma coming up over the next five years, both of which will be much more highly anticipated than a home-and-home with ISU. And as for fan travel, the Big Ten offers enough good road trips that most people probably aren't really hankering to drive to Ames.

To be fair, I think the Hawkeyes might have been off their game because Beth Mowins wasn't at the mic. She's doing the Broncos-Chargers game tonight instead.
I'm fairly certain Iowa was under .500 when Beth called games. She always made bad games worse.

The same reason some Husker fans are making Arkansas State out to be a juggernaut. To add credibility to their side.

ASU may be a juggernaut in Football if they played UNK, Ft. Hayes, Emporia, Washburn and Missouri State.

No need to make any excuses, Iowa is 2 - 0 and Nebraska is .500 for the season.

Iowa at some point needs to play someone in the non-con. It's easy to say we are 2-0 when shit teams are played. I think NU shouldn't being playing Ark State, and No. Illinois is a stretch. The Hawks definitely need to schedule something that isn't pathetic. I'd rather add another conference game and a potential bye week vs. playing these dumbshit teams. Does nobody any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT