ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest Huskers to wear every number 1-99

Frosts National Championship waves back

Individual player.... for one year he was voted best player in the nation. If 2001 had a Defense (and they weren’t playing the third best team of all time imho- 2001 Miami- check their roster) this would be a no brainer. But it’s fun to banter, no?

Reactions: cvogele29
#35 Jeff Kinney

What? Not Steve Damkroger?

"Steve Damkroger," Rathman said flatly. "Steve Damkroger was the man."

Damkroger embodied hard-nosed football. His icy glare in the media guide spoke volumes.

"He was the heart and soul of that defense as far as being a thumper," Rathman said.

Individual player.... for one year he was voted best player in the nation. If 2001 had a Defense (and they weren’t playing the third best team of all time imho- 2001 Miami- check their roster) this would be a no brainer. But it’s fun to banter, no?
Don't really want to get into pissing match but if crouch was so great why didn't he beat out frost in 97 instead of redshirting. Tommie started as a freshman imho that the biggest injustice tommie not winning it but crouch does. Sorry have never been a big fan of crouch but that's my opinion

I believe Dave Feit wrote a series of articles detailing the best Huskers to wear each number. If anyone has that list, please send along a link, because the link I had isn’t working anymore and he hasn’t immediately responded for comment on Twitter.

Right now, I’m particularly interested in No. 12 bc I just bought a #12 jersey. Is Turner Gill the greatest to wear it?

Also, please reply with the greatest/your favorite to wear numbers 1-15.

My favorite Husker to wear 1-15 is probably Lavonte David (4) and Helu (10). However, I’m not sure either are the GREATEST Huskers to wear their respective number.

Let’s go with one number for each player. the number they finished their husker career with, IE #5 for Marlon Lucky and #93 for Suh.

Has anyone mentioned #58, DIRTY HARRY?

Don't really want to get into pissing match but if crouch was so great why didn't he beat out frost in 97 instead of redshirting. Tommie started as a freshman imho that the biggest injustice tommie not winning it but crouch does. Sorry have never been a big fan of crouch but that's my opinion
Maybe he would have redshirted anyway, but Crouch had ankle surgery his freshman year.

And while I too would rate Tommie Frazier above Crouch on the all-time Husker QB list, I'll go way out on a limb and say that it's a bit harder, as a true freshman, to beat out Mike Grant than to beat out Scott Frost.

Dubois wore #22 quite well.
in 85 Dubose was picked to win the Heisman that year and would really have loved to see what he could've done, but unfortunately he tore his ACL the week before the 1st game which ended his season and career at NU which really sucked. That guy had one of the best and most powerful spin moves I have ever seen in an RB. When he would spin out of tackles, he would literally throw defenders with that move.

Maybe he would have redshirted anyway, but Crouch had ankle surgery his freshman year.

And while I too would rate Tommie Frazier above Crouch on the all-time Husker QB list, I'll go way out on a limb and say that it's a bit harder, as a true freshman, to beat out Mike Grant than to beat out Scott Frost.

I'll admit it. I'm a Crouch supporter. I get that many are still miffed that he threatened to quit when he didn't get the starting job. Get over it. Crouch never had the supporting staff (or defense) that Frazier had. He almost single handedly carried that 2001 squad to the MNC game. Don't forget about toughness. Although Frazier would have been a worthy recipient of the 1995 Heisman, Crouch did indeed win the 2001 Heisman. I often imagine how he would have performed with the '99 defense and/or the pipeline and the stable of backs that Frazier was blessed with. Since we can't do the "what if" game on every subject, let's just agree that we've had some great athletes line up behind center for NU.

I'll admit it. I'm a Crouch supporter. I get that many are still miffed that he threatened to quit when he didn't get the starting job. Get over it. Crouch never had the supporting staff (or defense) that Frazier had. He almost single handedly carried that 2001 squad to the MNC game. Don't forget about toughness. Although Frazier would have been a worthy recipient of the 1995 Heisman, Crouch did indeed win the 2001 Heisman. I often imagine how he would have performed with the '99 defense and/or the pipeline and the stable of backs that Frazier was blessed with. Since we can't do the "what if" game on every subject, let's just agree that we've had some great athletes line up behind center for NU.
I’m not one of the miffed people. I was merely making the point that if someone feels Frost was a better QB than Crouch, that’s a fair opinion. But arguing that Frost must have been better because he was the starter in 1997 doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.

I believe Dave Feit wrote a series of articles detailing the best Huskers to wear each number. If anyone has that list, please send along a link, because the link I had isn’t working anymore and he hasn’t immediately responded for comment on Twitter.

Right now, I’m particularly interested in No. 12 bc I just bought a #12 jersey. Is Turner Gill the greatest to wear it?

Also, please reply with the greatest/your favorite to wear numbers 1-15.

My favorite Husker to wear 1-15 is probably Lavonte David (4) and Helu (10). However, I’m not sure either are the GREATEST Huskers to wear their respective number.

Let’s go with one number for each player. the number they finished their husker career with, IE #5 for Marlon Lucky and #93 for Suh.

Dana Stephenson #36

Reactions: scarletred
#37 Sam Koch

Cannon of a leg. I remember hearing chants of "MVP" coming from the student section in 2005 (?).

This would be a fun thing to do as a countdown to the first game...but since it’s a little late for that...

I’ll go with:

#7 Eric Crouch

Reactions: bigboxes

Yea, what he said! Both of them were studs... period. I wonder what Bobby Newcombe could have been like as a QB before his knee injury, I went to the spring game (before the injury) and he was electric...

Yea, what he said! Both of them were studs... period. I wonder what Bobby Newcombe could have been like as a QB before his knee injury, I went to the spring game (before the injury) and he was electric...

I was a big Newcombe supporter as well. I thought that Bobby could have won a Heisman, too.

Reactions: little a
I’ll probably get some $hit for this but I’ll take #45 Frank Solich over Joel Macovika.;)

This got me thinking. Have seen these lists before, and enjoy the memories.

Paul Rogers at 45 maybe
Tom Novak
Frank Solich
Danny Noonan or John Dutton at 90 I believe
Farley at 43

Just off the top of my head. Maybe some of these have been mentioned.

This got me thinking. Have seen these lists before, and enjoy the memories.

Paul Rogers at 45 maybe
Tom Novak
Frank Solich
Danny Noonan or John Dutton at 90 I believe
Farley at 43

Just off the top of my head. Maybe some of these have been mentioned.

I believe Paul Rogers wore #30
Tom Novak is #60
Dan Noonan was #95

guess Bell edges out Santino Panico (also #80)
While it's tough to leave Santino off the list Winking, I would go with Ray Phillips for #80. He was a really good DE in the 1970s who went on to play 5-6 years in the NFL. He wasn't on Willie Harper's level at NU, but still very good.

Anyone up for doing #16 through #30? Here's mine:

16 - Tough one, but three that come to mind are Erwin Swiney, Maurice Purify and Eric Stokes
17 - Reggie Cooper over Dan Hadenfeldt and Todd Peterson
18 - Could go with Berringer, but Jim Anderson was a fixture on those great Devaney-era defenses of the early 70s
19 - Randy Borg or maybe Jesse Kosch
20 - JR
21 - Mike Brown, although Roger Craig was terrific
22 - Ralph Brown over Doug DuBose, but Kenny Brown was an excellent wingback
23 - Hmmmm, maybe Mark Blazek?
24 - Bill Kosch
25 - Mark Schellen, or maybe Dave Mason (a DB on the 1971 defense) or Joe Walker
26 - Tom Rathman
27 - Irving Fryar over Joe Blahak
28 - Jamel Williams or Jeff Smith
29 - I'll say Jim Pillen, but Todd Brown and Bryan Carpenter were also really good
30 - Rozier, but Ahman Green was not far behind

Last edited:
Forsure. That 01 Miami team is either the first or right behind 95 Huskers as the best team ever. imo They were stacked and had the most first round players drafted ever as well.

Anyone up for doing #16 through #30? Here's mine:

16 - Tough one, but three that come to mind are Erwin Swiney, Maurice Purify and Eric Stokes
17 - Reggie Cooper over Dan Hadenfeldt and Todd Peterson
18 - Could go with Berringer, but Jim Anderson was a fixture on those great Devaney-era defenses of the early 70s
19 - Randy Borg or maybe Jesse Kosch
20 - JR
21 - Mike Brown, although Roger Craig was terrific
22 - Ralph Brown over Doug DuBose, but Kenny Brown was an excellent wingback
23 - Hmmmm, maybe Mark Blazek?
24 - Bill Kosch
25 - Mark Schellen, or maybe Dave Mason (a DB on the 1971 defense) or Joe Walker
26 - Tom Rathman
27 - Irving Fryar over Joe Blahak
28 - Jamel Williams or Jeff Smith
29 - I'll say Jim Pillen, but Todd Brown and Bryan Carpenter were also really good
30 - Rozier, but Ahman Green was not far behind

# 25 Tough Tony Davis

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT