ADVERTISEMENT

Gophers open up as 6.5 favorites

I like the scrappy underdog storyline. Reminds me of that 1902 game in Minneapolis. We all remember that one, right? #GBR

"Again and again, the Gophers chagrined, dismayed and angered by the unexpected strength of their adversaries, hurled themselves against the sturdy Nebraska line only to be beaten back with the inexorable regularity that Gibraltar beats back the waters which eternally seek to mount its crags."

That's some good schitt right there.

The Gophers are loaded, eh?

Gophers loaded? You betcha. Darn tootin', ya?

William_H_Macy_memes.jpg

Just crazy gophers don't get any respect at all.

Here's your first mistake. You're looking for respect from Nebraska fans. You could beat them by thirty points and it will be because the Big Ten refs, mike Reilly, Bo Pelini, Peterson and Perlman, Eric Chinander, and the Husker players all conspired to give the game away. Your players and coaches will have had absolutely nothing to do with the game's outcome.

And don't come to the Iowa board looking for respect either. We know you goofs suck ;)

Reactions: KinnicksRightFoot
Gophers are ranked No. 25 in the coaches poll. The last time Nebraska played a ranked Minnesota team was in 1968, when the No. 9 Huskers went to Minneapolis and beat the No. 17 Gophers 14-7. Neither team finished the season ranked. Nebraska finished 6-4, and 3-4 in the Big Eight.

Overall, Nebraska is 1-2 against ranked Gopher squads, winning in 1968, but losing in 1941 and 1942.

Last edited:
In that case Nebraska hasn’t used any playcalling this season either...
The Purdue game wasn’t very close it was a 21 point 4th quarter lead but a weird bounce on an on-side kick made it look closer.

Nebraska should be the Gophers toughest opponent so far. I expect a good game.

Reactions: 9and4
I wonder... does Martinez play even though still slightly hobbled and wearing a brace, or does Vedral play? Also... if Martinez is too injured to play next week, does he even make the travel squad?

Does Mo Washington play or will he be disciplined again?
Does Carlos Davis get suspended by the B1G for throwing that punch on the sideline in the 4th quarter?
If Spielman is a no go who the hell do we have? Geez.
And for shit sake find a different center.

Despite knowing the playing status of JD Spielman and 2AM..

Penn St is also favored by 2.5 over Ioway...
PSU will roll, that team might make the playoffs. Way better than people thought. Of course...they still have to beat OSU.

Beat SD State by 7
Beat Fresno State by 3
Beat Georgia Southern by 3
Beat Purdue by 7.

That 5-0 looks nice but if we had that schedule and those results wed all be freaking out.
The teams we've beat have a combined five wins amount them. Nothing to brag about. Lines says Mills is out next week. What happened?

Minnesota coaches in the booth: "Hey, TJ. I know it's late in the fourth quarter and we're trailing Fresno State, but don't you think we should start calling the good plays?"
Fleck: "It's PJ. Nope. The loss will be worth it to save the good plays for Purdue and Illinois. But not Georgia Southern, even if it goes down to the wire, too. Row the boat."
Assistant coach: "OK, JP. You're the boss. Also the guys want to know: do we use a paddle or an oar? It's so confusing."

Underrated post.

Here's your first mistake. You're looking for respect from Nebraska fans. You could beat them by thirty points and it will be because the Big Ten refs, mike Reilly, Bo Pelini, Peterson and Perlman, Eric Chinander, and the Husker players all conspired to give the game away. Your players and coaches will have had absolutely nothing to do with the game's outcome.

And don't come to the Iowa board looking for respect either. We know you goofs suck ;)

Tater Salad.

Reactions: EATAFAT1
It would be nice to get that extra half point & make it an even 7 point spread.

I might wait & see what that spread does here this week.

My guess is it moves down to +6 or +5.5 even.
This is 100% based on Martinez and JD being injured. Guarantee if they were healthy it would at most be -3 gophers and probably -3 neb. Watch if it comes out they are playing, that likely will drop like a rock.

Reactions: Huskred01
I had the same thought, but if the expected happens and Minnesota wins Saturday, I'll probably root for the Gophers the rest of the way. What the hell? I mean, it's better than Iowegia or that asshat Cryst winning the West.
No. Fleck is the devil

Honestly I think being the underdog helps our team. They really play like shit when the pressure is on. Hope we win, but like the rest of the universe, I haven’t paid one second of attention the mighty gophers.

Iowa Sucks.

Despite knowing the playing status of JD Spielman and 2AM..

Penn St is also favored by 2.5 over Ioway...

That's it? Surprised it's not higher. Either our D is poorly coached or our players just can't understand disciplined attacking D, our D players are more physically talented than Wisconsin's.

Not saying you guys won't beat us. Just crazy gophers don't get any respect at all. Gophers WR's are some of the best in college with Chris A-Bell, Tyler Johnson, & R.Bateman. Really Good RB's. Good Oline & defense. You will notice gophers took off after firing our DCoordinator
So your saying the gophers receivers are better than bamas or OUs

I wonder... does Martinez play even though still slightly hobbled and wearing a brace, or does Vedral play? Also... if Martinez is too injured to play next week, does he even make the travel squad?

Does Mo Washington play or will he be disciplined again?
Does Carlos Davis get suspended by the B1G for throwing that punch on the sideline in the 4th quarter?
If Spielman is a no go who the hell do we have? Geez.
And for shit sake find a different center.
Good questions. Remember when they had Taylor Martinez play in the UCLA game and he was gimpy going in and darn near needed to be on crutches at the end? Sometimes a coach goes with his #1 guy even if it is obvious he shouldn't even be on the field.

Maybe Brody Belt will run for 170, Vedral will keep it close and McCallum will kick another game winner at the buzzer. A hometown walkon trifecta so to speak.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I like us to cover.

I thought P St would be favored around -9.5 or so.

Maybe Iowa does have a chance to beat them. Because Vegas is begging you to take P St with that spread.
I dont think we have a very good chance. I'm optimistic as always leading up to a game, but if we play as piss poor offensively as we did last week we will get throttled. PSU is a lot better then why they're ranked

The line sounds about right to me. I don't think we'll see AM (he was really limping behind the stands) and I don't know about JD or Mills. It is a road game. I think we'll have our work cut out to win.

So your saying the gophers receivers are better than bamas or OUs
I do personally believe the gophers WR trio of Tyler Johnson, Rashod Bateman and Chris Autman-Bell is the best WR trio in the Big Ten including better than OSU's trio of Hill, Victor and Mack. I believed that during the offseason and nothing has happened so to think otherwise.

Not quite Bama, they have 4 really good ones with Juedy, Smith, Clemson also has 3 really good ones with Higgins, Ross and Rogers and USC's trio with Pittman, Vaughns and St. Brown is very good although I don't think our's are that far off.

I am not denying that WR's 4-12 at OSU, Clemson, USC etc. are superior to our WR's 4-12 but 1-3, I do believe we have the best WR trio in the Big Ten and our comparable to other top trios in the country aside from Bama.

Reactions: 9and4
I like the scrappy underdog storyline. Reminds me of that 1902 game in Minneapolis. We all remember that one, right? #GBR

"Again and again, the Gophers chagrined, dismayed and angered by the unexpected strength of their adversaries, hurled themselves against the sturdy Nebraska line only to be beaten back with the inexorable regularity that Gibraltar beats back the waters which eternally seek to mount its crags."

How about this one from the 1925 Illinois game? They just don't write em like they used to:

“Grange, unable to pierce the magnificent Nebraska defense and thwarted in his efforts to circle the ends, was taken out of the game a few seconds after the start of the fourth period broken and crushed. As the noted player, covered with mud from head to foot, walked to the sidelines, tears gathered in his eyes and he fell into the waiting arms of his comrades.”

If Nebraska has to go up into Minneapolis and face the Gophers without Adrian, JD, and Mo Washington, then I definitely like Minnesota to cover.

But its slightly amusing that despite Nebraska's injuries, the Huskers are still putting up more yards and more total explosive plays than Minne vs. The Sisters of the Poor.

The Huskers have played 3 teams better than anyone on Minnesota 's schedule. and Nebraska's defense will be the best unit the Gophers have seen this season.

Oh... 1 last nugget: Minnesota 's 5 opponents have won 5 combined games vs. FBS opponents.

Nebraska's opponents have won 13 games vs FBS opponents.

I won't try to scatter roses on some of Nebraska's shitty smelling opponents. But Nebraska would UNDOUBTEDLY be 5-0 vs that Gopher schedule with much better numbers.

If Nebraska has to go up into Minneapolis and face the Gophers without Adrian, JD, and Mo Washington, then I definitely like Minnesota to cover.

But its slightly amusing that despite Nebraska's injuries, the Huskers are still putting up more yards and more total explosive plays than Minne vs. The Sisters of the Poor.

The Huskers have played 3 teams better than anyone on Minnesota 's schedule. and Nebraska's defense will be the best unit the Gophers have seen this season.

Oh... 1 last nugget: Minnesota 's 5 opponents have won 5 combined games vs. FBS opponents.

Nebraska's opponents have won 13 games vs FBS opponents.

I won't try to scatter roses on some of Nebraska's shitty smelling opponents. But Nebraska would UNDOUBTEDLY be 5-0 vs that Gopher schedule with much better numbers.

Lots of great analysis, but I think we know by now that this game is all about the chair. Throw everything else out the window. Who wants that $5 and Broken Bits of Chair Trophy more?

Love all the analysis on who's opponents suck worse in 2019 but the only thing that matters for you Husker fans is this:

You won't be leaving Minneapolis with that chair.
You suck! We rule!

Agree. I hate +6.5 spreads. I’ll probably wait & see if it gets to 7 before I jump on us.

I think I’m going to take Iowa though.
They put it at 6.5 for a reason. If you're a gopher backer, you should love laying under a TD. But my experience tells me that more 6.5 and 2.5 dogs cover than don't.

Reactions: Huskred01

OK, that shit has me fired up. Why do people not write like this anymore. Journalism these days has nothing on that.

The people hawking Vedral for AMart are not taking into account the possibility that a greater number of chunk plays might be in the offing against Minny than NW. A dinged up AMart really hurts NU in terms of getting explosive plays.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT