ADVERTISEMENT

Good call UNL

Education and medical industries have increased in price far in excess of inflation primarily because of the growth in administration.
I retired from education at multiple levels. I would submit that government regulations at both the federal and state level have led to this "growth in administration" due to increased regulations and records maintenance. All of the new social norms have created layers and layers of laws and regulations, both written and understood and there seems to be no end to them. They exist not only in the hiring and maintenance of personnel, in a school they exist in the classroom and all activities.

I look at the district I came to in 2005 and see the number of people in admin and support positions (support is much more than admin) and I can't imagine being in the system now. Teachers are crying because they can't get bigger raises even though the state is pumping millions into a system with declining enrollment but increasing social problems. A recipe for disaster.

Reactions: Lars72 and OzzyLvr
Read an interesting article about it that anyone can find....interviewed two of the people who worked there. It was pretty pathetic...."Where are people supposed to go now if they have a problem...."? To which I thought, the same place everyone else goes???

I’m not sure what sure what your point is.
joan baez duck GIF

Here's just a few universities that have eliminated dei departments: Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa, Iowa st, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, all Texas public universities, Florida, Kentucky, North Carolina, and of course NU.

Here's just a few companies that have done the same or scaled back: Harley Davidson, John deere, Polaris, tractor supply, meta, Google and Microsoft. I'm sure this is just a drop in the bucket. Most have quietly done it without publicity.

I thought our DEI program was a waste of time. But that was just my opinion and it is not the point.

Do you think your average African-American athlete thinks better of a university that gets rid of its DEI program or worse?
Why would we be recruiting average athletes?

Spoiler alert they don't give a fck about a DEI program. This may come as a shocker to you but most sports, especially at this level are based on merit. The opposite of DEI. Showing us all what a fry cook you are.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
I retired from education at multiple levels. I would submit that government regulations at both the federal and state level have led to this "growth in administration" due to increased regulations and records maintenance. All of the new social norms have created layers and layers of laws and regulations, both written and understood and there seems to be no end to them. They exist not only in the hiring and maintenance of personnel, in a school they exist in the classroom and all activities.

I look at the district I came to in 2005 and see the number of people in admin and support positions (support is much more than admin) and I can't imagine being in the system now. Teachers are crying because they can't get bigger raises even though the state is pumping millions into a system with declining enrollment but increasing social problems. A recipe for disaster.
Truth

The demand for racism in this country far exceeds the actual supply.
Hope this doesn't leave us with a particular lack of talent wanting to stay or come here. I doubt it affects much with many programs around the country cutting back on it all due to costs and all that. But players like to believe they're somewhere progressive, or at least not regressive. Guess we'll see over the coming years. Helps if we win on the damn field
Recruits with that line of thinking probably wouldn't do well here anyway. The entire idea behind DEI is giving unqualified people a leg up based on their perceived disadvantage (typically based primarily on their race or sexual orientation). It's a participation trophy mindset and victim mentality. That's not a recipe for college football success.

As one poster correctly noted, the demand for racism FAR outstrips the supply.

Nebraska was one of the first colleges to allow black athletes to play sports. Bama was one of the last. Hasn't hurt Bama at all. The overwhelming majority of people in their 40s and under don't even see race in their daily interactions (although DEI initiatives worked hard to indoctrinate the younger generations that racial unjustice is systemic). Ironically, DEI is incredibly regressive, not progressive. The parents of these kids may have had their parents experience institutional racism, but they have not. Then they actually visit, and they see that Nebraska is extremely welcoming to everyone, and a great place to live.

Meh...everything comes full circle. It will be back in some way, shape or form sooner or later. Not advocating one way or the other, just speaking from life experience.

Meh...everything comes full circle. It will be back in some way, shape or form sooner or later. Not advocating one way or the other, just speaking from life experience.
The full circle is getting rid of it.

Meritocracy was the start. DEI only exists because we're a wealthy group.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
The full circle is getting rid of it.

Meritocracy was the start. DEI only exists because we're a wealthy group.
Maybe. But I would guess 20 years from now there will be a new acronyme in place that is pissing people off that will render the same type of arguments for and against. Nothing ever fully goes away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT