ADVERTISEMENT

Gilbert update

RBigredMax

Senior
Mar 23, 2023
I thought we would hear something in the press conferences this week (maybe I missed it) regarding his status. I’m hopeful he’s off the team, has anyone heard?

1f687786-4362-4238-a795-c5d5f58d14c1_text.gif

Who cares
I think where it matters is Coach Rhule said some very definitive statements around how the program would be ran, who would be playing, etc. we saw inconsistencies show up Game 1 that weren’t aligned with previous comments, this seems like an easy one to get behind you from a cultural piece or will it be another example of not practicing what he’s preaching?

Reactions: countrybob
I think where it matters is Coach Rhule said some very definitive statements around how the program would be ran, who would be playing, etc. we saw inconsistencies show up Game 1 that weren’t aligned with previous comments, this seems like an easy one to get behind you from a cultural piece or will it be another example of not practicing what he’s preaching?
Fair

I don’t think many expected to see our first arrest before our first win

Reactions: Badger Pete
There are some variables that are missing though as far as the QBs go. Do we know that Purdy or Haarburg aren't turning the ball over more in practice than Sims? I haven't seen anything that addresses it either way.

Secondly, as far as the RB goes that was fumbling. Coaches say things like players that turn the ball over aren't going to play all the time. Perhaps, Anthony Grant had corrected his fumbling problems after the one scrimmage. If a coach is going to bench and never play players that make errors or commit turnovers, you will quickly be down to 5th string players

Last edited:
The coaches have been evaluating players since the winter, and they concluded that Sims gives the team the best chance to win. He seems to have processing issues in the pass game, but can run like a deer. So they'll attempt to mitigate the former and make play calls to maximize the latter.
I believe Rhule mentioned that Grant's fumbling issues in practice had been addressed. They may look elsewhere for end of game reps in future games, however.

Reactions: BleedRed78
There is some variables that are missing though as far as the QBs go. Do we know that Purdy or Haarburg aren't turning the ball over more in practice than Sims? I haven't seen anything that addresses it either way.

Secondly, as far as the RB goes that was fumbling. Coaches say things like players that turn the ball over aren't going to play all the time. Perhaps, Anthony Grant had corrected his fumbling problems after the one scrimmage. If a coach is going to bench and never play players that make errors or commit turnovers, you will quickly be down to 5th string players
Exactly, if some of the children here were coaching this team, we simply wouldn’t have a program. Did Grant fumble more than once on his way to 900+ yards last season? The stats I found said 0 fumbles for him but I thought I remembered one. Everybody gets one.

Melvin Gordon fumbled like 5 times in 4 games last season before his NFL team benched him.

Reactions: huskerhounds
This guy is such an embarrassment to the program and to himself that he doesn't merit any public comment. He doesn't need any more attention. I'm sure at some point a reporter will ask about him. Hopefully Rhule will just say that he's not with the program anymore and that he cannot comment further.

This guy is such an embarrassment to the program and to himself that he doesn't merit any public comment. He doesn't need any more attention. I'm sure at some point a reporter will ask about him. Hopefully Rhule will just say that he's not with the program anymore and that he cannot comment further.
He’s not any more of an embarrassment to NU than he is to his previous stops. NU gave him a chance and he’s blown it. It’s all on him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT