ADVERTISEMENT

Gebbia is transferring

That makes the transfer today really odd timing.. who could have anticipated that one?
Some schools operate on a quarter system that don't start until later and would probably be a place he could still get into. Also, even though classes started last week, students have until the 31st to enroll in classes at UNL, so I assume there are schools that are similar. I am not sure what kind of schedule they go by, but it wouldn't be surprised to see him and up at a place like UCLA.

....and the new rumor going around is that he never enrolled in classes. That is bs.

Some schools operate on a quarter system that don't start until later and would probably be a place he could still get into. Also, even though classes started last week, students have until the 31st to enroll in classes at UNL, so I assume there are schools that are similar. I am not sure what kind of schedule they go by, but it wouldn't be surprised to see him and up at a place like UCLA.
UCLA! Can you imagine the shit storm this board would be if he went to UCLA and had a more productive career running the same offense? Please god let this happen

What's the point in following Nebraska football if you don't let it affect you emotionally? When you watch a game do you sit there like a robot and don't care how we're playing? You don't cheer when we score a touchdown and yell at the tv when we give up one? I do both of those things and wouldn't even watch if I couldn't.

This is a crappy situation that left us with 1 scholarship qb able to play this year. This easily could cost us a game or two or possibly more this year if Martinez gets banged up.
I get excited during games. I feel great when we win, and I feel crappy(at least for a couple of hours) when we lose. But I don't let it affect my overall life. I'm not sitting around right now and wringing my hands in despair and wondering "oh, dear what are we going to do now if Adrian Martinez gets injured". I'm also not trying to find the ultimate scapegoat here-either trashing Tristan Gebbia as some kind of lying lowlife who's scared of competition or trying to find some way to blame this on the coaching staff. I say good luck to the kid and I am confident the coaches will manage the situation the best they can.

To me, I figured after a certain point, the season has started and your eligibility for that season begins. Maybe that hasn't happened yet as you say. If that is the case, then my argument that he was holding out the qb decision until they got past that date doesn't hold any water.

If however, he transfers after that point, it would be the same as transferring next spring. He would have used his eligibility this year and would have to sit out next year too. That's why this timing window seems awkward.

I'm no expert on the rule or what the exact date is though.

The fact he left is the problem.

Let's say I have you and another guy up for a job promotion. And I tell you that once I make my decision I will call you personally to let you know. But then I decide instead I will have somebody else call you to let you know, without telling you about it. Then that person I elected to tell you instead, tells you right before the other guy's hiring is announced, but I want you to help that other guy settle into his knew job as your boss. How would you feel about that?

Last edited:
To me, I figured after a certain point, the season has started and your eligibility for that season begins.
If however, he transfers after that point, it would be the same as transferring next spring. He would have used his eligibility this year and would have to sit out next year too. That's why this timing window seems awkward.

I'm no expert on the rule or what the exact date is though.
Don’t think that would happen until he played a down of football for NU this year.

Read above. This is why the timing is the way it was.
Then there was no conspiracy with delaying the QB decision.

All this because a coach didn't want to give the guy the bad news in person.

Tell you what, I'm going to laugh if we hear a change of plans tomorrow and no transfer happens, or maybe it's too much water under the bridge now.

Let's say I have you and another guy up for a job promotion. And I tell you that once I make my decision I will call you personally to let you know. But then I decide instead I will have somebody else call you to let you know, without telling you about it. Then that person I elected to tell you instead, tells you right before the other guy's hiring is announced, but I want you to help that other guy settle into his knew job as your boss. How would you feel about that?
Once again, being butthurt over which coach told him the news sounds very petty and very far-fetched. Why would you transfer over something so trivial?

I happen to know factually that there are starters on the offense that do not like this decision. I hope it does not hurt the team long term at all. If I were Gebbia and I felt strongly that I had won the competition I would leave even NU and I bleed RED!!!!!
Factually? Sources??

Obviously, I want SF to succeed and I am still very excited about his hiring. I just hope he handles something like this better next time around. A good start would be to grant the kid a release, then wish him well and speak very highly of him publicly.

Once again, being butthurt over which coach told him the news sounds very petty and very far-fetched. Why would you transfer over something so trivial?

And again, it wouldn't matter.....unless the head coach said he was going to personally tell you. Then I think it is a problem.

If I found out that the coaching staff was blowing smoke up my ass and that the only reason I was told there was a QB competition was so I wouldn't transfer, then I would be pissed too. If that's what the staff did, then they gambled and lost. Also, if true, it's a BS thing to do.
The only BS thing that was done is Gebbia left his teammates out to dry when we have very little qb depth.

SIAP

Coach Frost said 2AM was a unanimous choice by the coaching staff. Competition apparently wasn't THAT close.

If you're not with us, you're against us. See ya olive oil.

Good luck young man. If you’re good enough, you’ll be fine in football. If you’re not, you can Mitch Mustain around for awhile, and you’ll probably still be fine in life if you’ve got a decent head on your shoulders.

Reactions: HuskerDana
Do you have some unique insight that Frost actually told Gebbia that Frost himself was going to let him know?

I get that Martinez is younger, I get that Gebbia has already used his redshirt season, I get that the offense has changed, ect. I get all of the reasons why Gebbia would want to transfer... but him being upset that Frost himself didn't tell him seems to be a VERY petty reason to transfer and it seems highly unlikely that this is actually the reason.

1) Yes, I do.
2) I don't care if you believe that is the reason or not.

Tell you what, I'm going to laugh if we hear a change of plans tomorrow and no transfer happens, or maybe it's too much water under the bridge now.

Nikki, I wish that was the case (that this whole situation is repairable). But, as you said, I think there is too much water under the bridge now.

I am still all in on the Frost camp. I just hope he learns from the mistake here and handles a situation like this better next time. I am sure he will.

I happen to know factually that there are starters on the offense that do not like this decision. I hope it does not hurt the team long term at all. If I were Gebbia and I felt strongly that I had won the competition I would leave even NU and I bleed RED!!!!!

Have to wonder if it's the wideouts....

Reactions: nu2u and red-one21

Come on, he had a ton of options before he chose Nebraska (several being better options if we're being honest). There is no way he has a change of heart.

I have been asked for my sources. I will not comply but will say I stand my my statement and my history of info on this board! Will leave it at that!

Reactions: HuskerO and kaz36
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT