ADVERTISEMENT

Gebbia is transferring

Bruised egos, swirling rumors, team dissention..... Frost needs to get control of the team. He has a few options……..

Call Mike Riley in for a rousing pep talk
Gourmet chocolate cupcakes after practice
Pajama Movie Night
Road trip to Wahoo
...…and if all else fails -- Strippers!

I played college football. If my teammate left after fall camp began, let alone during game week, because he found out he was #2 instead of #1, I wouldn't be rooting him on. I'd be pissed. Whether you think it's right or wrong, this would have been unacceptable to me as a player, and that's the perspective I'm approaching it from, not as a "jilted fan".
At what level did you play? What position? Did you have realistic expectations to make the NFL? Could you throw a football over a mountain?

So, if I'm reading through these threads correctly, there was an actual QB competition here with both guys having a shot up to sometime very recently

Evidence of this is that some players think Gebbia should have been / had a chance at the #1. Doubt that would be the case if this was a "dog and pony show".

This is exactly what Frost has been selling. Open competition at each position.

Personally, I think it's refreshing as hell. The last time we had actual competition at this spot was, what, Crouch / Newcombe?

One QB ended up beating out the other. That's how it works. Kids are going to respond differently to adversity like this.

Yep. It sucks to lose that talent and depth. But Frost is doing what he said he was doing. I have zero doubt both of these guys were given a fair shot to earn the starting role.
Agree, this idea that Gebbia should’ve been named the starter for the sole purpose of keeping him from transferring, then benching him mid season is not only shady af, but straight out the Mike Riley nice guy handbook. I honestly can’t believe we have fans suggesting that’s how it should have played out and that Frost is wrong for naming the guy he thought gave us the best chance to WIN.

This transfer isn't a smart decision. He isn't going to play this year no matter where he goes. The guy in front of him hasn't played in a game since his junior year in HS...is Tristan going to run back real fast if Amart throws 4 Ints and melts down? His qb coaches at NU are the best in the country...and he has one of the best physical development coaches in Zac Duvall. It does hurt NU but I am more perplexed by his rash decision...I would have no qualms if he waited four months and transferred in december. And he may be the starter by then. It is a thoughtless decision...hopefully somebody reminds of it.

Isn’t a smart decision for who?

Playing this year isn’t why he is transferring now. Using this year as his transfer year is. If he waits until December, and doesn’t take over as starter, then he wasted this year of eligibility holding a clipboard. Then has to sit out next year as a transfer year and only has 2 years of eligibility left. By leaving now, he sits out this year and has 3 years of eligibility remaining and gets to play next season. It really isn’t that hard.

Playing this year isn’t why he is transferring now. Using this year as his transfer year is. If he waits until December, and doesn’t take over as starter, then he wasted this year of eligibility holding a clipboard. Then has to sit out next year as a transfer year and only has 2 years of eligibility left. By leaving now, he sits out this year and has 3 years of eligibility remaining and gets to play next season. It really isn’t that hard.

On the other hand, this fall wouldn't need to be entirely "wasted" even if he is mostly holding a clipboard, if he is working with good coaches and trainers. And two years to play is probably enough to show off his talents somewhere else if he is hoping for an NFL shot. Leaving now is a bet that Martinez will prove to be good on the big stage and never be out much due to injury. It is also a bet that some worthwhile program will have him at number 1 for 3 years, no guarantee of that either.

Reactions: hephusker
There are at least six Pac 10 schools he could transfer to as they have not started classes yet! This would then be his sit out year!
Is one of them Stanford? That'd be a little ironic wouldn't it?

My bad, I figured since he used his redshirt that he didn't get another redshirt year...still stupid because he won't hold a clipboard all year. Since when has a true freshman played every snap in a power 5 conference season. And when has a TRUE freshman been dominant. Especially one coming off of a major injury. Not sure how it was sold to him but it is very unwise to leave before your starter have ever even taken a snap.

Agree, this idea that Gebbia should’ve been named the starter for the sole purpose of keeping him from transferring, then benching him mid season is not only shady af, but straight out the Mike Riley nice guy handbook. I honestly can’t believe we have fans suggesting that’s how it should have played out and that Frost is wrong for naming the guy he thought gave us the best chance to WIN.

Agreed. No one should fault Frost for naming AM the starter. I have no problem with that. I just wish he would have handled it differently, however. Then, we likely still have two four star qbs on the roster.

My bad, I figured since he used his redshirt that he didn't get another redshirt year...still stupid because he won't hold a clipboard all year. Since when has a true freshman played every snap in a power 5 conference season. And when has a TRUE freshman been dominant. Especially one coming off of a major injury. Not sure how it was sold to him but it is very unwise to leave before your starter have ever even taken a snap.
amazing to me how the "best fans in the world".....can be so sure of themselves...…"best fans" , not far from "fair weather fans."...

Good point, but you’re not around me on game day wheather it’s in the stadium or with friends in my home..

I get very excited or very upset at least lately since we sucked...Winking

I'd grown apathetic. It's the only way I could cope with it. Some things you have no control over. I let off a little steam on the board.

true, but it would of been nice to see them both in real game situations, then make the call.
just to be sure the right decision is made.
plus to have a ace in the hole incase we need it.

Frost weeded out the character issues before the season even started. It sucks for our depth chart, but Frost made the right call. Let's just hope Martinez stays healthy this year and grows in to the leadership role.

On the other hand, this fall wouldn't need to be entirely "wasted" even if he is mostly holding a clipboard, if he is working with good coaches and trainers. And two years to play is probably enough to show off his talents somewhere else if he is hoping for an NFL shot. Leaving now is a bet that Martinez will prove to be good on the big stage and never be out much due to injury. It is also a bet that some worthwhile program will have him at number 1 for 3 years, no guarantee of that either.

Of course there in no guarantee. There is no guarantee the Martinez under performs or gets hurt either.

He has made the decision to leave, why would you want a guy who doesn’t want to be here on your roster?

Agreed. No one should fault Frost for naming AM the starter. I have no problem with that. I just wish he would have handled it differently, however. Then, we likely still have two four star qbs on the roster.
What would you have done differently? Hindsight is 20/20.

He is choosing to leave. He wants out. If he didn't want to leave, he wouldn't leave.
Your initial post was that if he wanted to leave, he should have left earlier. He didn’t want to leave earlier. He wants to leave now, only because he now understands there is very little playing time in his future. Had he known one month ago that the plan was for him to be a backup at best for the rest of his time here, I’m certain he would have left earlier.

Reactions: HuskerO

He doesn’t get another redshirt year. He has 5 years to use 4 years of eligibility. He redshirted last year, sits out this one as a transfer, then has 3 to play 3.

I don’t understand the theory of sticking around in case Martinez gets hurt. By staying at Nebraska past Saturday, he uses one of his 4 years of eligibility. Then if he transfers next year, he has to sit out and won’t be eligible until 2020 season. That would be 3 years without playing meaningful snaps. By leaving now, he keeps it at 2, and he can find a place that may have a senior starting QB and not much depth.

If I told the kid I was going to tell him personally before the depth chart came out, I would have followed through with that and not designated his position coach to do so instead.
When did Frost say he would be the one to break the news? Honest question. If Frost did say that then I agree he should have followed through.

Edit: Frosts interview on Friday he used “we” when describing who would let the QB’s know.

Last edited:
The Belichick way to do this would have been to split reps in game 1...then make adrian the starter in game two to screw Gebbia into staying for the remainder of the year...then next year we bring in two more guys and Gebbia leaves in December opening up a scholarship. Frost is going to have to manage the "love" with being cutthroat in a conference with Harbaugh and Meyer, two legendary coaches already who will do anything to win. I agree with his decision...giving Gebbia a chance to transfer, and allowing Martinez to be better prepared for game 1 are good things to do, but it is going to hurt really bad by November...there is no way Martinez goes through the season without a sprained ankle, sore shoulder, and Bunch will be the guy.

Honestly, I am not sure exactly when Frost told him that last week. I know that he said that he would call TG personally. That statement is fact.
Frost said that publicly? The way you say it makes me feel like you know TG or know someone who does and heard that from TG directly.

I happen to know factually that there are starters on the offense that do not like this decision. I hope it does not hurt the team long term at all. If I were Gebbia and I felt strongly that I had won the competition I would leave even NU and I bleed RED!!!!!

I'm in agreement.
What happened to the days of a willing b/up qb? I'm thinking Jerry Tagee, Van Brownson.
Tommie Frazier, Brook Berringer. We couldn't have won without guys that didn't need to be in the spotlight.

Gebbia is not a backup. I think that's all it is. That's why we wanted him in the first place.

He doesn’t get another redshirt year. He has 5 years to use 4 years of eligibility. He redshirted last year, sits out this one as a transfer, then has 3 to play 3.

I don’t understand the theory of sticking around in case Martinez gets hurt. By staying at Nebraska past Saturday, he uses one of his 4 years of eligibility. Then if he transfers next year, he has to sit out and won’t be eligible until 2020 season. That would be 3 years without playing meaningful snaps. By leaving now, he keeps it at 2, and he can find a place that may have a senior starting QB and not much depth.

I think you've repeated this enough. Do you think they've got it, yet?

….and look, I do still think that SF is going to tear it up here. I can't wait for the season to start and put all of this bs in the rear view....
When did Frost say he would be the one to break the news? Honest question. If Frost did say that then I agree he should have followed through.

Edit: Frosts interview on Friday he used “we” when describing who would let the QB’s know.

My scenario might just be a hypothetical, too. :)

He needs to be a MAN and tell all his teammates face to face that he is leaving them in this situation one week before our first game. I just don't get kids these days. Do they really expect everything in life to be just handed over to them?
He’s from Calabasas, I’m sure he’s had everything handed to him.

Reactions: TheNewNU
If I told the kid I was going to tell him personally before the depth chart came out, I would have followed through with that and not designated his position coach to do so instead.

Sure, I agree. But I also think that’s a petty reason to transfer. If I am going to speculate even more than I already have, I’d say he was pissed he didn’t win, thought he should, and snatched any reason he could find to convince himself that the deck was stacked against him and/or the coaches didn’t have his back.

Anyway, I hope he ends up enrolling at another school on the quarter system that hasn’t stated yet so the whole thing looks more calculated and sensible and not so rash.

Reactions: HuskerDana
Everybody has to put yourself in Gebbia's shoes before bad mouthing him. How would you feel in his shoes if you truly felt you had at minimum been equal to Martinez in the competition. If you were told by quite a few teammates that they felt you had won the competition. You had been told early on that Frost himself would be letting the competitors know who won the competition. When time comes not only does Frost not let you know but then lets out that the decision had been made 2-3 days prior already. Put those things in your thought process before passing judgments on Gebbia!

Of course there in no guarantee. There is no guarantee the Martinez under performs or gets hurt either.

He has made the decision to leave, why would you want a guy who doesn’t want to be here on your roster?

Well, I don't want a guy here who doesn't want to be here. My comments went to what might have/should have been considered before he decided. If he decided he doesn't want to be here then adios.

WTF are you talking about? I was calling out a poster for the double standards he had towards TG and Frost.

I'm talking about your and other's posts here, specifically, of yours, the following one:

"According to Frost he knew AM was the guy a week ago, but has been lying his ass off this past week saying it's too close to call.. He's definitely a punk just like when he transferred in college. What say you?"

As I stated, I read Frost pretty much knew at the middle of last week, discussed it with the staff to verify their thoughts, then they let TG know on Saturday. that is not a week ago. If you read something,else, what and where did you read it, please? We would like to know. It would be interesting reading.

You are, obviously calling SF out for "lying his ass off", calling out Frost as a liar, calling him a "punk", and lambasting him, implying he was/is a disloyal traitor, evidently, to you, NU, and the state of Nebraska, when he was a high schooler and when he didn't owe anything to you, NU, or the state. That's "wtf" I'm talking about. And, I was, also, addressing others "pain" and distress because of TG"s timing and actions by SF.

Again, that's "wtf" I was talking about.

Your user name may be very accurate. Maybe you are a mr. scary13 after all.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT