Gebbia is transferring

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by xxUNRIVALEDxx, Aug 27, 2018.

1. NikkiSixx

NikkiSixx All-American
    Expand Collapse

I don't know anything about that situation.

To be honest, what is done is done, and guys deserve to play where they want to play.

I hadn't considered this earlier, but it is still a coaching transition year, so there is some additional attrition happening that normally wouldn't happen during a regular coaches tenure, so I'm not sure beating a dead horse about it does anyone any good.

The roster is getting flipped, and guys that want to play for Nebraska are here and they will move forward as a team.

red scowl likes this.
  2. mpbrown27

mpbrown27 Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

I actually like how Frost handled it. If you really say you are behind the players and care about them, then you should name a starter before the season starts so you aren't wasting a year of his eligibility.

Take a look at how Nick Saban has handled the QB situation at Alabama. He is basically not naming a starter so that one of them doesn't transfer. I think it's cowardly.

3. Husker-NJ

Husker-NJ Walk On
    Expand Collapse

Are you available to take his place?

4. timnsun

timnsun Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

The odds of Gebbia transferring within the conference is incredibly small, in my opinion, as he would lose 2 years of eligibility per conference transfer rules to other teams within the conference.

That is the rule, correct? He wants to play now. He isn’t going to sit 2 years to play for someone else in the conference. Unless I’m wrong on the transfer rules within the conference.

5. husker2612

husker2612 Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

I don't think either would have transfer if they were both getting playing time.

6. Husker Sledge

Husker Sledge Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

I disagree. You don't start Gebbia just to keep him around when you have a better QB on the sidelines. Not fair to either kid. It sucks how things went down but that's the way things go sometimes in a coaches first year.

7. ru4nu2win

ru4nu2win First Team All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

How did Saban get Hurts to stay? Sometimes you gotta be a dick to win championships!

8. HBK4life

HBK4life Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

Saturday can't get here soon enough!!!:mad:

timnsun and yunginsNU2 like this.
  9. Bobs Polska Kielbasa

Expand Collapse

Yeah, that would have been low. Gebbia has four years to play four. So we give him garbage time to steal a year from him. Then the next year he has to sit because of transfer rules. So by that time he will have two years left. If he goes to a school where he is even with a freshman or sophomore guess who wins out? The younger guy.

10. Red_Symptoms

Red_Symptoms Walk On
    Expand Collapse

I completely disagree. You put your best 22 guys on the field and let the chips fall where they do.

If AM is your best QB for your offense and team, then name him starter and move forward

11. red scowl

red scowl Junior
    Expand Collapse

I was curious beyond all the feelings. I was wondering about the nuance and structure of decisions made. Alot of decisions were made this spring and fall, I'm just curious about the process.

Something that we may never know, I guess. I'm glad HC Frost is here. I'm hopeful.

NikkiSixx likes this.
  12. MOhusker12

MOhusker12 Redshirt Freshman
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Or he could be a stand up guy and let a kid know that he is not the starter thus giving the kid a chance to transfer if he wants to. Scott Frost did not drop the ball, A quality coach and human being does not use kids for the sole purpose of winning games.

bshirt73 and Mack In Motion like this.
  13. obobbo

obobbo Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

And what makes you somebody any body should listen to? stay on your couch and keep filling your mouth with what ever you eat on saturday and leave your professional crap for the people you invite over for your tailgate party!!

14. husker2612

husker2612 Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

Or kept working harder on getting Vedral active. Which sound like they are going after again.

bshirt73 and NikkiSixx like this.
  15. red scowl

red scowl Junior
    Expand Collapse

I thought they had changed.

16. TruHusker

TruHusker Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

And this is how you would like to be treated?

My only complaint is perhaps, and I say perhaps because I do not know all of the details of all that went down.

Perhaps, there could have been some charting that let the players know exactly where they stood. Maybe there was. It seemed to come as a shock to TG.

When it was time, Frost perhaps should have sat down with them individually or as a group and told them what the criteria was for deciding.

Perhaps a plan for moving forward with some designated/designed playing time, Perhaps but maybe not the way Frost rolls.

Perhaps not made the statements about only wanting players who want to be here or whatever was said. Perhaps take the high road and wish him well, help him any way you can and go from there. The damage was essentially done when the announcement was made by Verddy.

I do believe that I read that Frost said he wish he had handled it differently, maybe I was dreaming. Whatever, he is just starting on the road to many challenges that will test him. This is really a fairly small one given what is going on at some other schools.

I said in an earlier post right after AM was named starter and someone asked if TG would transfer and I said if I were advising him I would advise him to look around. I still believe that was what he should do. That "take one for the team" line is worn out. He has goals and aspirations and he came to Nebraska to fulfill those, not watch others do it just so he could say he was a great team member. It is a nice tag line but it doesn't go much further after that.

This board will go bonkers the first time AM gets hit and gets up slowly. Then a nagging injury keeps him from doing certain things and maybe looses some effectiveness. Bound to happen to a freshman who doesn't know how to avoid the hits and thinks he is superman. I hope that is not the case, but the odds are high on this one.

656 TruHusker, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  17. VictorVal

VictorVal Newbie
    Expand Collapse

He could have worked up the 1a and 1b qb angle. Where both will play and one will start. Its best to have two Qbs that are ready to go in today's game.

He would have only been one hit away from being the starter.

Frankly, the reaction is understandable. It would be great if SF could convince him to stay and be ready for action.

18. barney44

barney44 Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

Hurts was at the least a proven player..

19. inWV

inWV Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Not naming a starter doesn’t work if the kids involved know who the starter should be. I suspect Frost knew who he was going to start a week ago.

red scowl likes this.
  20. F5Tornado

F5Tornado Senior
    Expand Collapse

Frost's first mistake? Coming back to Lincoln and coaching? ;)

Just kidding, just kidding.

swissticuffs, LBremser and footnfan1 like this.
  21. MOhusker12

MOhusker12 Redshirt Freshman
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

All I will say to this is that Hurts has not transferred YET!

22. red scowl

red scowl Junior
    Expand Collapse

Do you believe Gebbia is used to hearing no? His performance was lauded by the coaches in the press. He received more praise, it seems to me, than AM. Why is AM the starter then? Doesn't really matter, I thought someone may have some insight.

23. Bobs Polska Kielbasa

Expand Collapse

So you are going to make a life changing decision based upon the fact that the coach with whom you spend the most time told you the decision and not the head coach?

Don't you think his possible next coach is going to ask him, "Tristan, why did you decide to leave Nebraska." If he says, "Because Verduzco gave me the results of the qb competition and not Frost," I'm guessing the coach will have to pick his jaw up off the floor. After he does so he will point to his qb coach who will say, "I'm sorry but we can't take anyone else."

663 Bobs Polska Kielbasa, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  24. tpmcg

tpmcg Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

they were talking about N on local radio here in okc that butch davis felt before he got canned @ tenn, that AM would change the program.
    take it for what its worth.
    i happy with what we have left and best wishes to t gebbia.

huskerhooligansdotcom likes this.
  25. HBK4life

HBK4life Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

Over 20 on 2 pages about "Tristan take my ball and go home Gebbia!"! Lol. How about we focus on the players who are still here busting ass to gear up for a new era in Husker football!!?? Adrian is the QB for next 4 years. Go kill it kid!! GBR!!

oldjar07 and Sinomatic like this.
  26. Hoosker Du

Hoosker Du Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

Two schools of thought, and Frost chose to let the chips fall where they may. Other coaches would have gone the other route.

So...it's a dick move if Frost were to think of the future of his program, and make his choices to maintain the strength of his program, but it's completely OK that Gebbia thinks of only his future as a player and dashes, after receiving a scholarship worth $30K (or more) per year? I'll just say that I'm glad I'm not making those kind of choices as a coach and move on.

oldjar07 likes this.
  27. hephusker

hephusker Redshirt Freshman
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

He has a right to leave but he screwed his coaches, teammates, fanbase, and left a scholly on the table that someone could have used. It was his right to do what he did but we have the right to call out the low class move. Leave in the spring if it is not right for you- don't lie through your teeth about how you love it in Lincoln and pack your bag twelve hours after you find out you are backup.

oldjar07 and bshirt73 like this.
  28. red scowl

red scowl Junior
    Expand Collapse

Link? This seems like alot of conjecture and inference. I am with you somewhat. I don't believe it was as close as portrayed as far as the decision on the starter.

Let me ask you a question. Do you think HC Frost would start a player over another purely based on which one he recruited?

Wouldn't he start the best player?

huskerhooligansdotcom likes this.
  29. B1G RED RULES

B1G RED RULES Senior
    Expand Collapse

Damn - we made the wrong hire. Are you still available?

30. bigboxes

bigboxes College Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

And the rest of us that aren't classless can call you out on this behavior.

HuskerO, HuskerDana and SL1123 like this.
  31. Baxter48

Baxter48 First Team All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

Look I was for gebbia but it's over let move on to say yoga pants on hot women

32. Mr.Scary13

Mr.Scary13 Junior
    Expand Collapse

Lots of splitting hairs right now about what went down and how Frost handled telling TG the news, but I still think it boils down to the fact that flat out TG thinks he is the better qb and had proven it during this time. DANA can correct me if I'm wrong, but it's also pretty telling when quite a few players that were there every day thinks the same thing.

33. hephusker

hephusker Redshirt Freshman
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You just have a lower standard for what you expect from teammates, workmates, etc. some people are okay with selfish....you appear to be one of them. I feel that he owed something to those around him who were his friends and those who invested time and effort in his well being.

34. inWV

inWV Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Obviously the guy who is responsible for design and game plan of the offense saw it differently.

35. bigboxes

Expand Collapse

I think you are petty. You know nothing, but have plenty of opinion. That is your right, but I will call out boorish behavior when I see it.

HuskerO, HuskerDana and SL1123 like this.
  36. Mr.Scary13

Mr.Scary13 Junior
    Expand Collapse

I guess we will see over time.

37. bigboxes

Expand Collapse

I you want others to move on then you need to do so yourself.

38. Solana Beach Husker

Solana Beach Husker Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Frost also said Mckenzie Milton played like trash in a scrimmage last year and Vedral was awesome and efficient in the same scrimmage. Well Milton was a top 3 qb in the nation. Everyone close to the situation knew why Gebbia was at NU in the first place(Langsdorf), that he was a pro-style Qb without a pro-style body, that everything he did in the offense was harder, less smooth, that he needed leg space to throw, that he was too small to absorb 15 hits a game. But...Amart is a true frosh, and if there was anyway to start Gebbia they would entertain it. Well there wasn't and we hope Gebbia enjoys his time at a PAC 10 school.

bshirt73 and red scowl like this.
  39. Captain Nick

Captain Nick Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

I assumed you were talking about Nebraska threads on the Hawkeye board. ;)

prag_grenade likes this.
  40. prag_grenade

prag_grenade Walk On
    Expand Collapse

They do have a lot of them over there for some reason.