ADVERTISEMENT

Gebbia is transferring

I agree with this, but if you around someone everyday you learn their motives and intentions, if you listen. I think Frost was hedging his bet.

I read from a supposed insider, we were not a possible destination for Burrow. Anyone know anything about this?
I don't know anything about that situation.

To be honest, what is done is done, and guys deserve to play where they want to play.

I hadn't considered this earlier, but it is still a coaching transition year, so there is some additional attrition happening that normally wouldn't happen during a regular coaches tenure, so I'm not sure beating a dead horse about it does anyone any good.

The roster is getting flipped, and guys that want to play for Nebraska are here and they will move forward as a team.

Reactions: red scowl
I actually like how Frost handled it. If you really say you are behind the players and care about them, then you should name a starter before the season starts so you aren't wasting a year of his eligibility.

Take a look at how Nick Saban has handled the QB situation at Alabama. He is basically not naming a starter so that one of them doesn't transfer. I think it's cowardly.

The odds of Gebbia transferring within the conference is incredibly small, in my opinion, as he would lose 2 years of eligibility per conference transfer rules to other teams within the conference.

That is the rule, correct? He wants to play now. He isn’t going to sit 2 years to play for someone else in the conference. Unless I’m wrong on the transfer rules within the conference.

1. That would have been a dick move by SF.
2 Who is to say that Martinez wouldn't have transferred under that scenario?
I don't think either would have transfer if they were both getting playing time.

and yes, he dropped the ball on this one. I was pushing for Gebbia to be named the starter, eventually work Martinez in and gradually have him take over by B1G conference games. Would have worked brilliantly and still give Gebbia reps during blowouts and a series here and there all while coming up with a backup plan after dropping the news on him AFTER the season. He transfers, we have capable backups and all is well. Young coach will learn how to play the other part of the game soon enough with lessons like the one he got!
I disagree. You don't start Gebbia just to keep him around when you have a better QB on the sidelines. Not fair to either kid. It sucks how things went down but that's the way things go sometimes in a coaches first year.

and yes, he dropped the ball on this one. I was pushing for Gebbia to be named the starter, eventually work Martinez in and gradually have him take over by B1G conference games. Would have worked brilliantly and still give Gebbia reps during blowouts and a series here and there all while coming up with a backup plan after dropping the news on him AFTER the season. He transfers, we have capable backups and all is well. Young coach will learn how to play the other part of the game soon enough with lessons like the one he got!
Yeah, that would have been low. Gebbia has four years to play four. So we give him garbage time to steal a year from him. Then the next year he has to sit because of transfer rules. So by that time he will have two years left. If he goes to a school where he is even with a freshman or sophomore guess who wins out? The younger guy.

I don't know anything about that situation.

To be honest, what is done is done, and guys deserve to play where they want to play.

I hadn't considered this earlier, but it is still a coaching transition year, so there is some additional attrition happening that normally wouldn't happen during a regular coaches tenure, so I'm not sure beating a dead horse about it does anyone any good.

The roster is getting flipped, and guys that want to play for Nebraska are here and they will move forward as a team.

I was curious beyond all the feelings. I was wondering about the nuance and structure of decisions made. Alot of decisions were made this spring and fall, I'm just curious about the process.

Something that we may never know, I guess. I'm glad HC Frost is here. I'm hopeful.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Or he could be a stand up guy and let a kid know that he is not the starter thus giving the kid a chance to transfer if he wants to. Scott Frost did not drop the ball, A quality coach and human being does not use kids for the sole purpose of winning games.

And what makes you somebody any body should listen to? stay on your couch and keep filling your mouth with what ever you eat on saturday and leave your professional crap for the people you invite over for your tailgate party!!

No. People need to actually listen to him speak. He says if he knew someone was going to be leaving, he would have done things differently. In my mind, he is clearly saying that he would have brought in another QB if he knew the guy out of the top two who lost the job was going to leave. My opinion anyways, but I couldn’t take it any other way after listening to him.
Or kept working harder on getting Vedral active. Which sound like they are going after again.

The odds of Gebbia transferring within the conference is incredibly small, in my opinion, as he would lose 2 years of eligibility per conference transfer rules to other teams within the conference.

That is the rule, correct? He wants to play now. He isn’t going to sit 2 years to play for someone else in the conference. Unless I’m wrong on the transfer rules within the conference.

I thought they had changed.

And this is how you would like to be treated?

My only complaint is perhaps, and I say perhaps because I do not know all of the details of all that went down.

Perhaps, there could have been some charting that let the players know exactly where they stood. Maybe there was. It seemed to come as a shock to TG.

When it was time, Frost perhaps should have sat down with them individually or as a group and told them what the criteria was for deciding.

Perhaps a plan for moving forward with some designated/designed playing time, Perhaps but maybe not the way Frost rolls.

Perhaps not made the statements about only wanting players who want to be here or whatever was said. Perhaps take the high road and wish him well, help him any way you can and go from there. The damage was essentially done when the announcement was made by Verddy.

I do believe that I read that Frost said he wish he had handled it differently, maybe I was dreaming. Whatever, he is just starting on the road to many challenges that will test him. This is really a fairly small one given what is going on at some other schools.

I said in an earlier post right after AM was named starter and someone asked if TG would transfer and I said if I were advising him I would advise him to look around. I still believe that was what he should do. That "take one for the team" line is worn out. He has goals and aspirations and he came to Nebraska to fulfill those, not watch others do it just so he could say he was a great team member. It is a nice tag line but it doesn't go much further after that.

This board will go bonkers the first time AM gets hit and gets up slowly. Then a nagging injury keeps him from doing certain things and maybe looses some effectiveness. Bound to happen to a freshman who doesn't know how to avoid the hits and thinks he is superman. I hope that is not the case, but the odds are high on this one.

Last edited:
He could have worked up the 1a and 1b qb angle. Where both will play and one will start. Its best to have two Qbs that are ready to go in today's game.

He would have only been one hit away from being the starter.

Frankly, the reaction is understandable. It would be great if SF could convince him to stay and be ready for action.

Not naming a starter doesn’t work if the kids involved know who the starter should be. I suspect Frost knew who he was going to start a week ago.

Reactions: red scowl
Not naming a starter doesn’t work if the kids involved know who the starter should be. I suspect Frost knew who he was going to start a week ago.

Do you believe Gebbia is used to hearing no? His performance was lauded by the coaches in the press. He received more praise, it seems to me, than AM. Why is AM the starter then? Doesn't really matter, I thought someone may have some insight.

My understanding is that it wasn't just because Frost wasnt the one who told Gebbia the news. It's that Frost said he would be the one giving the news in person and then he didn't.

Not sure if true or not but I could see that rubbing Gebbia the wrong way.
So you are going to make a life changing decision based upon the fact that the coach with whom you spend the most time told you the decision and not the head coach?

Don't you think his possible next coach is going to ask him, "Tristan, why did you decide to leave Nebraska." If he says, "Because Verduzco gave me the results of the qb competition and not Frost," I'm guessing the coach will have to pick his jaw up off the floor. After he does so he will point to his qb coach who will say, "I'm sorry but we can't take anyone else."

Last edited:
they were talking about N on local radio here in okc that butch davis felt before he got canned @ tenn, that AM would change the program.
take it for what its worth.
i happy with what we have left and best wishes to t gebbia.

Two schools of thought, and Frost chose to let the chips fall where they may. Other coaches would have gone the other route.

So...it's a dick move if Frost were to think of the future of his program, and make his choices to maintain the strength of his program, but it's completely OK that Gebbia thinks of only his future as a player and dashes, after receiving a scholarship worth $30K (or more) per year? I'll just say that I'm glad I'm not making those kind of choices as a coach and move on.

Reactions: oldjar07
So, now Gebbia has a character issue? Please expand.
He has a right to leave but he screwed his coaches, teammates, fanbase, and left a scholly on the table that someone could have used. It was his right to do what he did but we have the right to call out the low class move. Leave in the spring if it is not right for you- don't lie through your teeth about how you love it in Lincoln and pack your bag twelve hours after you find out you are backup.

Everybody has to put yourself in Gebbia's shoes before bad mouthing him. How would you feel in his shoes if you truly felt you had at minimum been equal to Martinez in the competition. If you were told by quite a few teammates that they felt you had won the competition. You had been told early on that Frost himself would be letting the competitors know who won the competition. When time comes not only does Frost not let you know but then lets out that the decision had been made 2-3 days prior already. Put those things in your thought process before passing judgments on Gebbia!

Link? This seems like alot of conjecture and inference. I am with you somewhat. I don't believe it was as close as portrayed as far as the decision on the starter.

Let me ask you a question. Do you think HC Frost would start a player over another purely based on which one he recruited?

Wouldn't he start the best player?

Damn - we made the wrong hire. Are you still available?

He has a right to leave but he screwed his coaches, teammates, fanbase, and left a scholly on the table that someone could have used. It was his right to do what he did but we have the right to call out the low class move. Leave in the spring if it is not right for you- don't lie through your teeth about how you love it in Lincoln and pack your bag twelve hours after you find out you are backup.

And the rest of us that aren't classless can call you out on this behavior.

Lots of splitting hairs right now about what went down and how Frost handled telling TG the news, but I still think it boils down to the fact that flat out TG thinks he is the better qb and had proven it during this time. DANA can correct me if I'm wrong, but it's also pretty telling when quite a few players that were there every day thinks the same thing.

And the rest of us that aren't classless can call you out on this behavior.
You just have a lower standard for what you expect from teammates, workmates, etc. some people are okay with selfish....you appear to be one of them. I feel that he owed something to those around him who were his friends and those who invested time and effort in his well being.

Lots of splitting hairs right now about what went down and how Frost handled telling TG the news, but I still think it boils down to the fact that flat out TG thinks he is the better qb and had proven it during this time. DANA can correct me if I'm wrong, but it's also pretty telling when quite a few players that were there every day thinks the same thing.
Obviously the guy who is responsible for design and game plan of the offense saw it differently.

You just have a lower standard for what you expect from teammates, workmates, etc. some people are okay with selfish....you appear to be one of them. I feel that he owed something to those around him who were his friends and those who invested time and effort in his well being.

I think you are petty. You know nothing, but have plenty of opinion. That is your right, but I will call out boorish behavior when I see it.

Do you believe Gebbia is used to hearing no? His performance was lauded by the coaches in the press. He received more praise, it seems to me, than AM. Why is AM the starter then? Doesn't really matter, I thought someone may have some insight.

Frost also said Mckenzie Milton played like trash in a scrimmage last year and Vedral was awesome and efficient in the same scrimmage. Well Milton was a top 3 qb in the nation. Everyone close to the situation knew why Gebbia was at NU in the first place(Langsdorf), that he was a pro-style Qb without a pro-style body, that everything he did in the offense was harder, less smooth, that he needed leg space to throw, that he was too small to absorb 15 hits a game. But...Amart is a true frosh, and if there was anyway to start Gebbia they would entertain it. Well there wasn't and we hope Gebbia enjoys his time at a PAC 10 school.

ADVERTISEMENT