Gebbia is transferring

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by xxUNRIVALEDxx, Aug 27, 2018.

1. HuskerDana

HuskerDana Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Like I said before.....and even SCOTT FROST HIMSELF admitted today, if things were handled differently, TG would likely still be here. And no, that does NOT mean he would had to be named the starter to stick around.

I think we ALL have to remember, that SF is a very good YOUNG HC. He is going to make mistakes, even TO did. I already like that SF stood up and kind of said what he said. It makes me have even MORE faith in him that he is the guy that can get it done here.

EDIT: ....and pointing out a mistake is in no way bashing him as a coach. The truly great coaches admit what they did wrong and correct it. I think eventually, SF has a better than average chance at being a great one when it is all said and done. We were lucky to get him.

561 HuskerDana, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    jeans15 and red-one21 like this.
  2. Antwill

Antwill Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

Call me a grumpy old man, but I miss the days where a team sport was really about the team. Anymore you have players giving up and transferring if they don't get the result they want or sitting out of bowl games so as to not risk injury. I get that those may be the individually pragmatic things to do, but I miss the warrior mentality where a player looks at games as going to battle with his brothers and wouldn't think of abandoning them on game week.

jedimasterjed and jeans15 like this.
  3. Husker4real

Husker4real Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Wait - I thought Frost said had they known Gebbia would transfer, they’d have handled things differently. That’s completely different than saying Gebbia would have stayed if they would have handled things differently)

4. ThrowBones92

ThrowBones92 Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Agree. This doesn't have to be tied to the school year. It's an NCAA decision. Start of the "contract year" is the first day of fall camp for all players who have signed paperwork. Quarters, semesters, etc. shouldn't be factored in.

5. mpbrown27

mpbrown27 Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

With Tristan Gebbia leaving, we're left with one scholarship QB, which is a terrible situation, but it's mostly because of the coaching change. If things had gone according to plan, we would have had a senior starter in Tanner Lee backed up by either sophomore Patrick O'Brien or redshirt freshman Tristan Gebbia. Plus, you would have likely had an incoming true freshman to give you plenty of scholarship QBs on the roster. However, given the coaching turnover, we had a player leave early and two transfers. You can attribute a lot of this to a change in offensive scheme.

This is just one of the unforeseen costs in making the coaching change.

red-one21 likes this.
  6. ZJSARENOTFREE

ZJSARENOTFREE Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

It's also very easy to transfer vs. 30 years ago. I think if it was this easy to transfer back in the day, this would have been a lot more prevalent.

huskerj12 likes this.
  7. SOHusker11

SOHusker11 Junior
    Expand Collapse

Verduzco has handled previous situations like this exactly the same way, as in he was the one to deliver the bad news. I think he considers it his responsibility, so ya I'm calling bs on #2.

8. nu2u

nu2u Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

What was difficult about transferring in the late 80's?

9. Tuco Salamanca

Tuco Salamanca Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

But why was it unforeseen? Frost brought a QB with him, they had to know there would be some attrition with a coaching change. Even if Gebbia stays, that’s only 2 scholarship QBs available. As much as I didn’t want a grad transfer like Burrow, or Juco transfer, like Wilson, to muddle things up maybe that was the way to go.

red-one21 likes this.
  10. scarletred

scarletred Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

I don’t know if anyone would even think about transferring 5 days before the first game back than...

11. husker2612

husker2612 Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

By not going to Gebbia and telling him he didn't get the job? Is this really what all this is about. Or is there more to it

12. Tuco Salamanca

Expand Collapse

How many previous situations like this, involving Verduzco, are you familiar with? Truth be told I had never heard of him before he went to UCF. I don’t follow much FCS football. So if he wasn't on Frost’s staff I would have no clue who he was and definitely wouldn’t be at all familiar with how he handled previous QB battles.

13. Lincoln100

Lincoln100 Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Cry me a freaking river Oldfart. You’re embarrassing.

14. SOHusker11

SOHusker11 Junior
    Expand Collapse

This has nothing to do with thousands of dollars or mortgages, TG's family is loaded.

15. jeans15

jeans15 Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

Idk......But he's gone.

I only care about the kids that want to play for Nebraska.

They don't care about us like we like to think they do.

Husker-NJ likes this.
  16. husker2612

Expand Collapse

You obviously seem to know much more about this situation than the rest of us. Please fill us in, so we can all be informed on everything that has taken place. It appears from you comments that Frost handled the situation very poorly. Besides him not going to Gebbia directly, Im not sure what else there is.

17. Husker-NJ

Husker-NJ Walk On
    Expand Collapse

I'm suprised anyone here still cares. Move on.

18. BuffaLaw8487

BuffaLaw8487 Newbie
    Expand Collapse

Even so . . . this is the current ecosystem. Players - and especially QB's - want to be showcased for pro scouts from jump street. And they'll cross the street - if not the country - to find a place where that can happen. And they'll do it as often as it takes.

Not saying its the kids fault. Not saying its right or wrong. It just is.

Ask Alabama. Nick Saban is sitting on a juggernaut and he's losing starters because of competition.

F5Tornado likes this.
  19. Tuco Salamanca

Expand Collapse

I am not fixated on other poster’s love life. Just those who act like a broken hearted teenager, whose girlfriend dumped him. Or boyfriend, not that there is anything wrong with that.

- show me a post where someone said great job Tristan.
    - he wasn’t going to see the field unless Martinez wasn’t as advertised or got hurt. If he wasn’t as advertised we were screwed anyway because the coaches thought he was better than Gebbia.
    - believe me when I tell you I don’t have trouble with women. But thank you for your concern.

20. Wasker77

Wasker77 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

There should be nothing surprising about or bothersome to us Husker fans about Gebbia leaving. Sure it would have been nicer if he had transferred last spring. Maybe the coaches could have gotten another Qb. Maybe Bunch would have developed more with additional reps. He did not leave then, but chose to stay and compete for the starting job. good for him. I have not read anywhere that Scott Frost guaranteed him a starting job. I think it has been apparent for sometime now that Martinez was the leading candidate. Almost as soon as it became official that he was not going to start Gebbia chose to leave. For him he obviously thinks he has a better chance of getting more playing time at some other school. Everything that I have read about Gebbia is that he is a smart kid. If this is so than he knows better than anyone that he is not good enough to beat out Martinez.

SL1123 and huskerhooligansdotcom like this.
  21. Husker Todd

Husker Todd Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Don't forget that all the people gnashing their teeth over this, also welcomed Noah Vedral with open arms. And let's not forget about the safety from UCF, Tre Neal, who transferred here reportedly because he would not have started this year. Also welcomed with open arms.

mpbrown27 and deanhawk88 like this.
  22. SnohomishRed

SnohomishRed Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Your welcome

582 SnohomishRed, Aug 28, 2018
  23. Tuco Salamanca

Expand Collapse

Nope, Not my wecome. Must be yours.

SnohomishRed likes this.
  24. SOHusker11

SOHusker11 Junior
    Expand Collapse

In an article on a rival site, Mario talked about another quarterback battle and how hard it was to inform the "loser". Won't say the name here but it's one of the major recruiting sites. Not hard to find. I just don't buy the "SF didn't tell me personally so I'm gone" bs.

xxUNRIVALEDxx likes this.
  25. mkbrkloster

mkbrkloster Junior
    Expand Collapse

Not sure grad and spring transfers are equivalent to game-week transfers.

SOHusker11 and bshirt73 like this.
  26. SOHusker11

SOHusker11 Junior
    Expand Collapse

I agree, just sayin that money is not a factor here.

27. Wasker77

Wasker77 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Scott, thankfully, is first going to do what is best for his players and not what is best for us the fans.

28. Tuco Salamanca

Expand Collapse

I don’t know if that is why he left or not. I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s true. To me, why he left is secondary. He lost the competition and left. I just don’t hold it against him.

29. Huskerfan2112

Huskerfan2112 Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Yeah. Some kid named Aikman wants to know.....

30. jeans15

jeans15 Head Coach
    Expand Collapse

Cause they chose to play for Nebraska....he chose to leave.

This isn't rocket science.

oldjar07 likes this.
  31. bshirt73

bshirt73 Senior
    Expand Collapse

Yes, we've "progressed" greatly since then.

32. HuskerDana

HuskerDana Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

2612, you happen to be one of the posters on here that I like reading. Trust me, I am not withholding some bombshell that would paint SF as a complete d-bag, because I do not think that he is. As someone else stated, I probably should have said nothing at all. He is right. I just do not think it is a good idea to say anything further, for Gebbia, Frost, my source, and hell, even the fan base.

I should have dropped it this morning when I said I would, lol. It's just kind of hard to when you still see some bashing the kid.

xxUNRIVALEDxx and husker2612 like this.
  33. Solana Beach Husker

Solana Beach Husker Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

I think Gebbia was stuck in a catch 22...he was obviously recruited to come to NU to be trained by Lansdorf, who was a quality NFL qb coach. He was not at NU for the brotherhood or the history, or the huskers. His staff in 2017 couldn't care less about those things. Riley has often produced NFL qbs with a 3-9 record. And then his staff is fired and replaced with a team/program oriented coach. A guy who couldn't care less about producing NFL talent but instead training men to trust and love one another to fight for the N on the helmet. So Gebbia had to play the role of a brother, of an invested player in the program, say the right things, so not to expose his true nature of just wanting to jump to the league. And then hours after hearing that he would not be the top dawg he is gone, without a word. I am happy that he can find a mediocre program, with an open qb spot, and maybe a good qb coach to develop him, but sad that he will miss out on the best part of football, NFL and College...the bond and brotherhood formed by competition and struggle. The chances of him making any money in the NFL were always <1%...now he has sold out the most precious part of the game for <1%.

bshirt73 and husker2612 like this.
  34. timnsun

timnsun Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Do we have to start new posts each day this week to bash the kid? Can’t we just use the same thread that has 13 pages in it?

vanzandt and HuskerDana like this.
  35. Husker Todd

Husker Todd Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You are right, there are some differences with these transfers. Noah transferred right away because he knew he wouldn't ever win the job at UCF, that came from Scott's own mouth. Tre Neal transferred as soon as he graduated because he wouldn't start, again from Scott's own mouth. Tristan just found out 3 days ago that he wouldn't be the starter, with only 2 days left to decide if he wanted to drop classes and move on. He had little bearing on when the decision was made.

As I recall many on this board said Tristan was to small to take the pounding and not athletic enough to be a threat in the run game. Now many of those same posters are the ones who are angry that he hasn't stayed. These same people who didn't even want Tristan to win the starting job, only want him here as an insurance policy in case Adrian gets hurt. So to these people he is selfish and not a team player, because he won't sacrifice 2 years of his eligibility just to be a backup plan. Does that about cover it?

HuskerDana likes this.
  36. red scowl

red scowl Senior
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure Gebbia would have stayed, if POB had. I imagine his father is heavily involved, and that's fine. I wish he would have transferred in the spring.

Good luck to the young man, I will now follow his college career. I have an idea on how it will go.

37. husker2612

Expand Collapse

Thank you, I also value your opinions as you seem very level headed and logical.You contribute your opinions and thoughts without attacking other posters, like some here. I will leave this topic at that, just wanted to make sure there wasn't more to the story. That our savior coach didn't have some dark side. lol
    I agree, the bashing isn't called for. He has every right to transfer and if I was in his shoes probably would have as well. I just wish he would have given it more time, maybe in the spring. I wish him well and wish he was still here. Our QB situation just got a bit more scary.

597 husker2612, Aug 28, 2018
    HuskerDana likes this.
  38. kaz36

kaz36 Administrator
    Expand Collapse

HuskerDana, jflores, Baxter48 and 2 others like this.
  39. red scowl

red scowl Senior
    Expand Collapse

HC Frost said he was a good kid that's good enough for me. I thought Smith was a p.o.s. before he laid his hands on his wife.

Remember wideouts and him going back and forth on Twitter?

HuskerDana likes this.
  40. MOhusker12

MOhusker12 Redshirt Freshman
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I agree with this, from what we have heard Frost does not micro manage his coaches, I believe that Frost let Verduzco tell the qbs, because that is the position he coaches. In a lot of cases players are closer to their position coach than any other coach on the staff. If TG did not like that then that is on him, not Coach Frost. However, I completely understand why TG felt the need to transfer when he did. He made a decision that was best for him. We may not like it as Husker fans but in today's world of college football high profile qbs transfer all the time.