ADVERTISEMENT

FSU gets the shaft

This iowa game vs south Florida was so exciting …

88cilb.jpg
awful game. i thought Alabama was destined for a 8-4 type year, the dynasty had finally fallen and was hoping Golesh would get his 2nd win in a row against Saban. what an exciting outcome that would've been.

amazing how they turned things around and beat the #1 overall, 2x defending National Champion. guess a lot can change in 10 weeks.

• Haha
Reactions: Bruce1981
didn't last long. i'm sure you hear that often, though.

88c6bj.jpg

it's almost poetic how embarrassing this is for you. source

i love how you're already starting the excuses on why FSU isn't going to win. shame you have so little confidence in your opinions.

there's zero deflection from me. i'm confident Georgia, who didn't deserve to be in the playoff, is a better team than Florida State and willing to lay money down on that. you can't say the same.

that's the problem, i don't think people like you and @Bruce1981 believe that Florida State is good enough to win the playoff, let alone one of the semifinal games (though I think a healthy FSU would give Texas/Washington a run for their money). you're mainly concerned with having the most virtuous opinion and jumping on the "SEC BAD" bandwagon. function of being too "nebraska nice" is that you live in denial of the landscape of college football and get pissy when mommy NCAA doesn't give everyone a turn to be champion.
It has nothing to do with being nice or hating the SEC. I wasn't impressed with the SEC this year. And FSU took care of business, including beating 2 SEC teams. Alabama got beat at home. Great teams don't lose at home. Bottom line, FSU did everything asked of them in order to get in. Bama did not.

I don’t have a problem with what you are saying, generally, but if that is part of the criteria NOW, when it wasn’t the criteria before, then make that known before the last game of the regular season. Cincinnati got in because they were one of the best 4 teams in the nation a few years ago? No way.

If you want to change the requirements, go ahead. But be transparent. The transparency started the day of the SEC championship game, maybe a day before.
the context is important, and it was quite different the year Cincinnati made it. they had competed hard with Georgia the year before in the Peach Bowl, losing only by 3 points.

the Pac 12 champion had 3 losses.
Big 10 Champion had 1 loss.
Big 12 Champion had 2 losses.
ACC Champion (Pitt cuz its a weak conference) had 2 losses.
SEC Champion had 1 loss.

Cincinnati was the only undefeated team and had a convincing wins over top 10 Notre Dame and the ACC Champion. the stars aligned perfectly for them, and they still got shelled in the first round. very boring game.

the context is important, and it was quite different the year Cincinnati made it. they had competed hard with Georgia the year before in the Peach Bowl, losing only by 3 points.

the Pac 12 champion had 3 losses.
Big 10 Champion had 1 loss.
Big 12 Champion had 2 losses.
ACC Champion (Pitt cuz its a weak conference) had 2 losses.
SEC Champion had 1 loss.

Cincinnati was the only undefeated team and had a convincing wins over top 10 Notre Dame and the ACC Champion. the stars aligned perfectly for them, and they still got shelled in the first round. very boring game.
Wait. You seriously look at previous years data to make a conclusion for the year you're in? Georgia may have been defending national champs this season but they didn't play like it. If FSU has their entire team they will play with them and cover.

It has nothing to do with being nice or hating the SEC. I wasn't impressed with the SEC this year. And FSU took care of business, including beating 2 SEC teams. Alabama got beat at home. Great teams don't lose at home. Bottom line, FSU did everything asked of them in order to get in. Bama did not.
i wasn't overly impressed with the SEC either. Tennessee predictably took a big step back, Ole Miss looked like a Pelini team (again), LSU looked like USC South. Georgia looked sleepy, but seemed to wake up and crush their ranked opponents.

Alabama looked dead in the water, as they have many times. Distinctly like 2011, 2012, and 2015 where they lost a game at home then went on to win the National Championship.

Championship teams always seem to catch fire at the right moment. That's what makes the sport so exciting, storylines develop throughout the seasons and expectations are subverted. Its fun to watch teams like Colorado who were hot in September get majorly humbled when they play actual competition from a legit conference.

Wait. You seriously look at previous years data to make a conclusion for the year you're in? Georgia may have been defending national champs this season but they didn't play like it. If FSU has their entire team they will play with them and cover.
yes of course. when the 2024 season starts for the Huskers, are you going to have completely wiped the 2023 season from your memory in assessing how you think they'll do? of course the previous year has an effect on public perception. it does yours as well. here's you making a case for Nebraska going after Will Howard based on what he did in 2022:

He did something Michigan couldn't do last year. Beat TCU
i could buy that a fully healthy Florida State would cover against Georgia. I think that'd be a great game, and its a shame that we won't get to see it.

• Haha
Reactions: Bruce1981
awful game. i thought Alabama was destined for a 8-4 type year, the dynasty had finally fallen and was hoping Golesh would get his 2nd win in a row against Saban. what an exciting outcome that would've been.

amazing how they turned things around and beat the #1 overall, 2x defending National Champion. guess a lot can change in 10 weeks.
And yet barely escaped a 6 win Auburn team a week before on a 4th and goal from the 31. Championship teams shouldn't be in that position in the first place.

I actually agree with this, to a point. Where I struggle is, why didn’t this happen to Cincinnati a few years ago?

Optics are bad on this. The full court press from SEC/ESPN doesn’t help matters either.

No question in my mind Alabama is worthy in terms of ability. But if this was a possibility, then the playoff committee could have saved themselves a few barbs by moving Bama over FSU last week. But they couldn’t due to Bama’s last second miracle against Auburn.

Bottom line, optics don’t look good…
The reason Cincinnati got in was due to the fact that the PAC 12 champions, the ACC champions, and the Big 12 champions had two or more losses. Alabama and Michigan got in because both of them were undefeated conference champions. Georgia got in as a 1 loss SEC team whose only loss was to Alabama in the SEC championship game. The only other 1 loss team was Notre Dame, whose loss was to undefeated Cincinnati.

Long story short, the reason Cincinnati got in that season was because the PAC 12, the ACC, and the Big 12 sucked that year and were the only obvious choice as a playoff candidate other than Notre Dame who they beat early in the season.

Alabama and Michigan got in because both of them were undefeated conference champions.
Alabama lost to Texas A&M and Michigan lost a great game to the Michigan State Kenneth Walkers. Cincinnati was the only undefeated team heading into the playoff that year.

The parallels that season are actually pretty unreal. Alabama squeaked by a 6 win Auburn, beat #1 overall Georgia in the SEC Championship, then crushed the undefeated media darling in round 1.

Alabama lost to Texas A&M and Michigan lost a great game to the Michigan State Kenneth Walkers. Cincinnati was the only undefeated team heading into the playoff that year.

The parallels that season are actually pretty unreal. Alabama squeaked by a 6 win Auburn, beat #1 overall Georgia in the SEC Championship, then crushed the undefeated media darling in round 1.
You are correct, Michigan and Alabama had one loss. So it was a choice between the last remaining 1 loss team Notre Dame or undefeated Cincinnati. Cincinnati got the nod because of their head to head win vs Notre Dame.

Dude.. you’re so pathetic it’s borderline depressing. You’re an establishment guy that loves to fall inline. You don’t understand objectivity vs subjectivity and you know this as you’re not posting under your scope handle

To be honest, I think the playoff committee got it right that year. I don't think Notre Dame nor any of the two loss conference champions would have fared any better than Cincinnati.

Did you watch that abomination of an ACC championship game? The mannequin that FSU had at quarterback was 8 for 21 for 55 yards, against Louisville. The game was 3-3 in the third quarter, like watching Iowa play Iowa. How in the hell do you think FSU would even score against an elite team like Michigan, Alabama or Texas with no quarterback?
Michigan vs Iowa in BIG championship
Michigan total yards = 213
Michigan scored two TDs - one drive started at Iowa’s 5 yard line after a long punt return, and the other started at Iowa’s 12 after a fumble recovery. Other than those gifts, they got 4 FGs.

FSU vs Louisville in ACC championship
FSU total yards = 219
FSU’s lone TD came after a 73-yard run got them in the red zone. Other than that, they scored 3 FGs.

Louisville and Iowa are essentially mirrors of each other this year. Same overall record and both have Top 20 defenses. The only key difference between the two are the offenses. Louisville finished with the 44th best offense and Iowa’s was dead last - #130.

The CFP committee’s excuse to screw FSU was BS, plain and simple. The only people buying it now are 🐑 incapable of thinking for themselves.

To be honest, I think the playoff committee got it right that year. I don't think Notre Dame nor any of the two loss conference champions would have fared any better than Cincinnati.
i could see Ohio State doing better because they had a ridiculous WR room, but you can't put a 2 loss team in.

i suppose the debate for the 12 team will be whether or not you let 3 loss teams in.

i could see Ohio State doing better because they had a ridiculous WR room, but you can't put a 2 loss team in.

i suppose the debate for the 12 team will be whether or not you let 3 loss teams in.
This year it would be 2 loss Oklahoma crying that Liberty is getting in ahead of them.

I'm not acknowledging your stats in a win that didn't need a miracle. And you have yet to answer for Michigan's offense.
i know you didn't actually watch the Boston College/FSU game, but FSU needed a facemask penalty with 1:30 left when Boston College forced 4th down to get their win over a 6-6 team. This is the same Boston College team that lost to Northern Illinois and played tight with FCS teams.

Did you see Auburn push Bama around after NM ST pushed them around?
Did you see Oklahoma State push Oklahoma after Oklahoma pushed Texas around? can you even fathom how hard Oklahoma State would've pushed Texas around?

• Haha
Reactions: moralvictories
Did florida st hit a miracle on 4th and goal from the 31?
I don't even consider it a miracle so much as Auburn is that bad. It takes a special level of ineptitude by players and coaches to allow that to happen. That wasn't a chuck it up miracle. That was a bad team getting no pressure and allowing a receiver to basically make an uncontested catch.

I don't even consider it a miracle so much as Auburn is that bad. It takes a special level of ineptitude by players and coaches to allow that to happen. That wasn't a chuck it up miracle. That was a bad team getting no pressure and allowing a receiver to basically make an uncontested catch.
What do you expect from a team that was boat raced by New Mexico State?

23 opt outs. Almost their entire starting defense. Why is this getting bumped and why does this game matter?

Then again I bet people think Mizzous win against OSU without McCord and Harrison is the same as if they beat them with McCord and Harrison playing.

23 opt outs. Almost their entire starting defense. Why is this getting bumped and why does this game matter?

Then again I bet people think Mizzous win against OSU without McCord and Harrison is the same as if they beat them with McCord and Harrison playing.
I was told by idiots (you) that Florida State was a top 4 team.

Now I'm watching Georgias backups run right down the field on them with a white running back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT