ADVERTISEMENT

FBS Depth . . .

Is positional depth in FBS a concern going forward?

• Total voters

bob5150

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 30, 2004
Do you think that positional depth will become more of a concern at FBS schools going forward, or will the transfer portal become more realistic once all of the 9th year Covid guys have exhausted their eligibility?

It will take time to play out, but once guys enter the portal and don't find another place to play things will begin to slow down. Especially guys who are like 3rd on a team's depth chart. I believe the current players will see what happens to those guys and some will rethink their decisions. There will always be transfers, but I believe it will slow down to a extent.

I'm kind of confused by the question

has there ever been a time when FBS schools weren't challenged with depth?

like, I get it - Matt Turman vs Kst and all - but that wasn't really good depth, it was starters so superior we could win 10 (or less) on 11.

It will take time to play out, but once guys enter the portal and don't find another place to play things will begin to slow down. Especially guys who are like 3rd on a team's depth chart. I believe the current players will see what happens to those guys and some will rethink their decisions. There will always be transfers, but I believe it will slow down to a extent.
I’ve been saying this for over a year but numbers went even higher this year☹️

Reactions: BleedRed78

like, I get it - Matt Turman vs Kst and all - but that wasn't really good depth, it was starters so superior we could win 10 (or less) on 11.
You have a point. Though in clarifying, I'm thinking about fan confidence. At Alabama, if I'm down to my 3rd string guy at two or three positions, I'm still confident in their ability to execute. At Nebraska in 2023, if I'm into the 2nd string, I have doubts. To your point, your depth is dependent upon the ability of the starters to elevate the play of the subs.

Reactions: king_kong_
I don’t think I it’s a concern for the two deep. As long as there is significant playing time and the culture of the team is good players will stay put for the most part. It’s the players getting buried on the depth chart that will leave for playing time. That and players just needing a fresh start for whatever reason.

Reactions: BleedRed78

The "Turmanator". Nice nickname and all, but he looked like a high school kid out there that day. Tom Osborne didn't trust him to throw more than a couple times that day and I'm not sure they even wanted him running much option. The offensive line played their asses off trying to create running lanes against 8 in the box. And Lawrence Phillips ran like a man possessed.

Reactions: king_kong_
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT