ADVERTISEMENT

Fant Announcing Now on 1620

Status
Not open for further replies.
We wanted Fant, we just wouldn't promise him he was going to be a TE. He got an honest evaluation and opinion from several former NFL coaches and decided to commit to the school that told him what he wanted to hear. Good luck to him every game but one.
Wonder if Bo told Drew Ott that he wasn't a DE? Winking How did that work out??? Laughing

1. Don't travel much to Rapid and Husker football isn't a big deal west river. Even if it was there's like 20 people out there. I HAVE BEEN DEER HUNTING 10 MILES FROM WINNER FOR 10 YEARS AND NOT ABLE TO GET THE WINNER STATION. Granted I didn't draw tags last year and maybe its a new station. The Yankton station loses signal 15 miles out of town. Unfortunately the blow torch WNAX out of Yankton is tied to SDSU or we could blast all the way in to North Dakota.

Not my experience at all.

Lived in Alliance for 5 years, went to Rapid/Black Hillls often, have relatives there and elsewhere West River. Many Husker fans in that area, in my opinion.

More factually, I spent my early childhood in Ainsworth, and much of my extended family still lives in the KBR (Keya Paha, Brown, Rock) area. Winner was our default station growing up in Ainsworth. Also, prior to the advent of satellite radio, when we traveled back to the grandparents, we switched over to Magic 93 between O'Neill and Atkinson as we lost the Norfolk stations.

The thing you need to understand is Riley and Ferentz are very much alike ,low key nice guys neither can overcome the evil axis (OSU,Mich,Mich S, PSU and Wis ) year in and year out. Reality is not often pretty.

Um....Bo Pelini was 3-0 against Penn State, 2-1 against Michigan, 2-2 against Michigan St., and 1-1 against Ohio St. The only team we have a losing record to in the B1G is Wisconsin.

I think we'll do just fine with Riley leading us against those teams. He was 2-2 against Harbaugh (Stanford), when Harbaugh had much more talent to work with.

1. This thread has 20+ posts from Io_a tards and another 20+ from Husker tards arguing about radio stations, fan bases in Sioux Falls. That's about a full page worth...

2. He's a solid commit for any program, good athlete. He wants to play TE, and that's the position Io_a has recruited him from day one. He's not a can't miss prospect for Nebraska though, there's plenty of bigger fish in the water...

I'd argue that most in-state programs want to lock their borders down and keep a kid like Fant. Like I said, he could very well change his mind. We shall see.

Actually, UN told him this summer that he could be a TE.

Why are so many working so hard to down play this as a "kid we didn't want anyway"? Sure, it hurts bad to lose a good recruit. Even more when it's in the back yard, but the lengths some are going to on this are pretty sad.

Let's just be honest about it. Fant wanted to be a Hawkeye worse than he wanted to be a Corn Husker. Let it go

Let's get some facts straight....

UN doesn't offer scholarships.

NU didn't want Fant as a TE, he was recruited to be a DE. When Bubak decided to commit to Arizona State, it was then NU let Fant know he could start out at TE, or DE, it was his choice. Io_a was in on him from the get go as a TE.

Wonder if Bo told Drew Ott that he wasn't a DE? Winking How did that work out??? Laughing

Bo is in Youngstown, dipshit. And Husker fans weren't too thrilled when Pelini and Cotton passed on him.

Your response is irrelevant.

I'd argue that most in-state programs want to lock their borders down and keep a kid like Fant. Like I said, he could very well change his mind. We shall see.

Can't miss guys, no doubt but that's not what Fant is. Unlike Io_a, we're able to recruit coast to coast and will find an equal to or greater than prospect than Fant. You can bookmark this post and bump it on signing day.

Reactions: Bill_Callahan2.0
Let's get some facts straight....

UN doesn't offer scholarships.

NU didn't want Fant as a TE, he was recruited to be a DE. When Bubak decided to commit to Arizona State, it was then NU let Fant know he could start out at TE, or DE, it was his choice. Io_a was in on him from the get go as a TE.

Bo is in Youngstown, dipshit. And Husker fans weren't too thrilled when Pelini and Cotton passed on him.

Your response is irrelevant.
Calling me a "dipshit"... Very nice... How does anyone have 51,000+ posts? You must not work....;);)WinkingWinking

Last edited:
Reactions: fanhawk19
Nebraska cooled on Fant months ago. This isn't a shocker and isn't something Iowa fans should really be beating their chests abt.

Nebraska cooled on Fant months ago. This isn't a shocker and isn't something Iowa fans should really be beating their chests abt.
Not beating my chest at all. My point was that Nebraska cannot afford to let good talent slip out of the state. It is a smaller (population wise} state then even Iowa. Nebraska needs to seal their state as does Iowa. It was obvious that Bo did not think Ott was any good or had no room for Ott. The kid is All Big Ten and Nebraska missed and Iowa hit! It happens sometimes!

He suddenly seems intrigued by ASU.

Like I said, we all know how much a commit in August means. With that being said, I know I wouldn't want my kid to play for a guy like Todd Graham. The way he left Pittsburgh was disgusting.

And HTO is missing my point, I know many (even on this board) can't reason with the guy so I don't expect to. When you are an instate D1 program, you NEVER want to lose a kid of this caliber. You always want to lock down your borders. He can thrown out whatever insults, rationalizations, coast to coast, etc...he wants. The fact is you want to lock down instate D1 talent and that is true for any program. In fact your own coach said he wants a "500 mile radius".

Reactions: nothingkevin
Actually, UN told him this summer that he could be a TE.

Why are so many working so hard to down play this as a "kid we didn't want anyway"? Sure, it hurts bad to lose a good recruit. Even more when it's in the back yard, but the lengths some are going to on this are pretty sad.

Let's just be honest about it. Fant wanted to be a Hawkeye worse than he wanted to be a Corn Husker. Let it go

He wouldn't play a lick of TE at Nebraska, Riley has his eyes set on much bigger fish than Fant for this position....

Not beating my chest at all. My point was that Nebraska cannot afford to let good talent slip out of the state. It is a smaller (population wise} state then even Iowa. Nebraska needs to seal their state as does Iowa. It was obvious that Bo did not think Ott was any good or had no room for Ott. The kid is All Big Ten and Nebraska missed and Iowa hit! It happens sometimes!

All Big Ten what?

joker_eatin_popcorn_by_capnectoplasm_d39sa07_1.gif

It must be close to the first game of the season, the arguing is at a blistering pace! Laughing

And HTO is missing my point

No point was missed, I know more about Nebraska recruiting than you and any other Io_a fan combined. I also know Nebraska CAN AFFORD to lose a Fant because we'll sign someone equal to or greater. He is not a can't miss product, regardless of where he resides.

Here's another thing you don't get. Io_a has been in on him since day one, as a TE. Nebraska wanted him as a DE then opened up to him about TE AFTER Bubak (TE commit) decided to commit to Arizona State.

Not my experience at all.

Lived in Alliance for 5 years, went to Rapid/Black Hillls often, have relatives there and elsewhere West River. Many Husker fans in that area, in my opinion.

More factually, I spent my early childhood in Ainsworth, and much of my extended family still lives in the KBR (Keya Paha, Brown, Rock) area. Winner was our default station growing up in Ainsworth. Also, prior to the advent of satellite radio, when we traveled back to the grandparents, we switched over to Magic 93 between O'Neill and Atkinson as we lost the Norfolk stations.
I have had to drive alot "west river" and you can't normally get the Huskers reliably on a radio much of anywhere other than SE South Dakota. I guess now IF I'm in Sioux Falls on a game day I'll be able to get it. That said, I CAN get Hawkeye and Gopher football in the entire eastern half of South Dakota. I can also tell you that through my kids' sports and activities that I travel extensively in the eastern 2/3rds of the state and that there are not that many ACTIVE Husker fans in the body of the state. There may be a bunch of casual (yeah I kind of like them) fans but not active fans. At the state fair in Huron with thousands of people all around I could not find the Husker game on the TV and finally resorted to parking in a huge parking lot next to a light pole because I could kind of make out the static on KFAB's signal to keep abreast of the score. It was the only spot in town that I could find that I could get the game and I was all by myself. In Mitchell during a basketball trip, I had to beg in a sports bar to get ONE set tuned to the Husker game and then listened to a bunch of Hawkeye fans bitch about it the whole time. There are Husker fans in South Dakota. There are lots of Husker fans in South Dakota but its still not as ubiquitous as some would like to think. The Vedral boys did alot for Huskerdom much the same as Greeneway did for the Hawks. BTW, the Vedrals grew up listening to the Huskers from a Nebraska radio station signal. Greeneway got the Hawks on the radio and TV in his area.

Last edited:
@Bugeater...

Typical Io_a fans, run their mouth in August, don't see them again till the following August.

No, and the funny thing is, we went hard after a TE in Tennessee, well before Fant "had the option".

I had completely forgotten about Austin Pope. Seems like the last guy I heard we were after is Thaddeus Moss, for TE I mean.

If we can bring in BETTER talent from out of state at a given position we sure as hell CAN afford to let them get out of the state. Loyalty is a two way street and some of our best most devoted Husker alums came from other states. We're not Iowa. We don't have to drop our pants and bend over to get a recruit.

NU is in a position to recruit nationally for an equal quality or better recruit. We also have Snyder, the kid from Texas this year and Jurgens lined up for the future. As HTO said he's a good athlete and we would like to have him if his heart is here.

But the kid isn't a can't miss talent that we need to survive or the cornerstone of a bumper crop class of in state recruits. There will be plenty of Omaha kids attend UNL in the future just as there always have been.

Reactions: hexumhawk

TE is a position where NU has had good success with a wide range of recruits. We've never had the fortune of getting aVernon Davis on campus. Riley will find a good body to put in there before its said and done.

If there were in position for me to worry about it might be DE as its a much more impact position and typically a much contested one for good players. Haven't heard much on this front but I'm sure Riley is working on it or could just be my general lack of keeping up on day to day recruiting updates.

NU is in a position to recruit nationally for an equal quality or better recruit. We also have Snyder, the kid from Texas this year and Jurgens lined up for the future. As HTO said he's a good athlete and we would like to have him if his heart is here.

But the kid isn't a can't miss talent that we need to survive or the cornerstone of a bumper crop class of in state recruits. There will be plenty of Omaha kids attend UNL in the future just as there always have been.
The Ott deal turned out well for both Iowa and Ott. Ott was a project and I wouldn't be surprised if there was something else going on there involving some political stuff between Drew's dad and the staff. The little bit I was around Drew's Dad years ago, I can't imagine he was excited about having his son coached by the Pelinis. There was no way to project his success and he's worked his tail off but he was a project. Fant is a better athlete but still replaceable.

Reactions: nothingkevin
If we are able to land Mykelle McDaniel over Alabama, Florida, Auburn, Georgia (basically the whole SEC), then losing out on Fant isn't a big deal, bottom line. Like HTO said earlier, we recruit better than Iowa. We can find a guy to fill his role. Not saying we don't want Fant, but chances are good we fill his void.

LOL!

I bet he flashes that CFL bling on every recruiting visit. He then spends the next 30 minutes explaining to the kid what a "Grey Cup" is and why it's so hard to win in Corvallis.

Sorry it took awhile for me to respond to you, the real adults have jobs. Seriously, you want to get in a pissing contest with me. Even if you want to disparage Coach Riley's accomplishments, he still has one claim your coach doesn't. He got hired at a real football school. Now be a good boy and go back to the kiddie table in the corner. This here is for the adults.

We wanted Fant, we just wouldn't promise him he was going to be a TE. He got an honest evaluation and opinion from several former NFL coaches and decided to commit to the school that told him what he wanted to hear. Good luck to him every game but one.

Well based on one game, Fant is not a DE and got pushed around by a weak oline tonight. Which brings questions about our staff. But the kid can play TE good speed and hands.

Well based on one game, Fant is not a DE and got pushed around by a weak oline tonight. Which brings questions about our staff. But the kid can play TE good speed and hands.
It's always good to base a player's skills on one game. :rolleyes:

So what you are saying is he can't be developed or coached. Got it.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT