ADVERTISEMENT

Fant Announcing Now on 1620

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, the thing you need to understand is, Ferentz has shown he can't overcome the "evil axis", Riley will get his chance.

You missed his point, it's obvious Io_a recruited him solely for TE, that's not something Nebraska did.

Regardless, he's a real good athlete.

Yeah, that became pretty clear as you listened to Fant talk. He's got this "NFL TE" idea in his head and he's not really trying to cozy up to schools that wanna tell him about playing DL or WR.

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
Who knows but remember last year one brother was a four year center at ISU and another started at Oklahoma . That family has produced a lot of D-1 linemen and they have all taken a different path. There is yet another Farniok brother in HS who said to be the best of them all. Iowa has already offered this kid.
When your recruiting is as bad as Ferentz's has been you can afford to make promises and take chances on a kid several years away from college. A kid looks at his depth chart and says "shoot, I can come in and play right away because they've got NOBODY at my spot." Right now I would say there are multiple spots open on Iowa's depth chart that fit that description. Its a recruiting advantage in some regards but it makes it tough to win.

Yeah, that became pretty clear as you listened to Fant talk. He's got this "NFL TE" idea in his head and he's not really trying to cozy up to schools that wanna tell him about playing DL or WR.
SOME of our posters want to talk about their "boards". Well our coaches have very specific criteria for players on their "board". Obviously they have other kids more highly ranked on their board than Fant at TE. They were honest with him and that's just the way it is. If you don't think a kid fits for what you want at that position you don't take him at that position. Period. I don't care if his bedroom is in Osborne's basement. You don't take him. No sentimental local kid recruiting decisions. IF kids are really close take the local kid. If not, look elsewhere. IF he really wants to be a Husker he could be one. IF NOT then go to Iowa.

Reactions: 94husker
No, the thing you need to understand is, Ferentz has shown he can't overcome the "evil axis", Riley will get his chance.

You missed his point, it's obvious Io_a recruited him solely for TE, that's not something Nebraska did.

Regardless, he's a real good athlete.
He doesn't sound very sold on this being his final decision. Not sure we wanted him at TE though and that's where he wants to play.
Josh Heimholdt the midwest region Rivals guy just put up a post that stated he saw Fant at the St Louis regional and was not impressed with his DE skills but later went 1-1 at TE and excelled with a high upside. Iowa has lived turning skinny HS kids into NFL TE's so maybe both of them know what they are doing.

And you like JOSH HEIMHOLDT's evaluation better than Mike Riley's? Alrighty then. Good luck to him. I suspect that Riley has seen lots more of Fant than Josh has.

That's now two.

Does anyone know how can I change my SN to fiftymileradius?
If the kid dosn't fit that spot, you don't promise it to him. Period. There's other kids out there and clearly a Husker loyalty was not a priority for Fant, so why should it bother you that he says as of right now that he's going elsewhere. That might change. I will agree with Bo on one thing, "we want the guys that want to be Huskers." Fant has an offer and he wanted more than that.

That's now two.

Does anyone know how can I change my SN to fiftymileradius?

You should have done that years ago! Does Drew Ott and Harrison Phillips ring a bell? You know..the projected starting DT for Stanford and projected All Big Ten DE? Recruits that your hero Bo did not think were good enough?

Josh Heimholdt the midwest region Rivals guy just put up a post that stated he saw Fant at the St Louis regional and was not impressed with his DE skills but later went 1-1 at TE and excelled with a high upside. Iowa has lived turning skinny HS kids into NFL TE's so maybe both of them know what they are doing.
Nevermind the next announcement turned out to be a BB player.

Good kid, but I feel bad he's going to a garbage program
The bottomline is that IF you are good enough you can even go to Iowa and the NFL will find you. Hopefully he can get good enough coaching, stay healthy, get on the field and develop enough to realize his dream. I'll root for him as long as he's not playing NU.

Reactions: baseball31ne
If you believe something isn't right, you stand up right away. You don't wait until its to late. The saying goes "rats are the first to leave a sinking ship". Well smart people don't even board a ship that will sink. I swear some of you are so freaking desperate to get back to having a good team, that you live with rose colored glasses on 24/7.

I would rather be filled with optimism than sit in the weeds and wait for any chance to post something negative. You are amazing absent when Nebraska pulls in big recruits. And when Nebraska looses a mid level 3* that nobody would care that much about if he wasn't from Nebraska, you magically appear.

I would rather be filled with optimism than sit in the weeds and wait for any chance to post something negative. You are amazing absent when Nebraska pulls in big recruits. And when Nebraska looses a mid level 3* that nobody would care that much about if he wasn't from Nebraska, you magically appear.

But he is sooooooooooooooo much smarter than everybody else! Why would he do that?

Apparently Oregon and UCLA didn't show Fant enough "love" either. Might end up being a great player. Might not.

I'd love for us to be the dominant recruiting force in the region (500 miles or whatever number you want to use). But, if a recruit doesn't fit into the scheme or wants to play a certain position, then it's better that he goes somewhere else.

So, I'm happy for Fant.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Apparently Oregon and UCLA didn't show Fant enough "love" either. Might end up being a great player. Might not.

I hope the best for him. Just like Phillips, Ott, etc. (I more or less feel bad for Ott, that kid deserved and offer).

Does anybody know why Nebraska was recruiting him as a DE instead of a TE?

Imagine if this was broadcast on one of the Omaha papers reporters web show. Oh the humanity.

One thing to remember that most folks don't think about with South Dakota kids (Farnioks). There isn't much Husker football presence in Sioux Falls and most of South Dakota. You could get game broadcasts in SE South Dakota but 1110 is sketchy north of Sioux City. I think 590 is better. Most of the local TV and radio is focused on ISU and Iowa and Iowa football can always be had on Sioux Falls radio. There's a large number of Husker fans in eastern South Dakota but the state is primarily focused on SDSU and USD football.

Are some of us really melting down over this? What in the world is going to happen after our first loss? Where has the outrage over the defensive ends we've whiffed on been? Because they were not in the 500 mile radius, we don't need to freak out? I feel like some of us just can't wait to run down the new staff and NU admin.

Good for Fant, and all the best of luck to him. Best of luck to those of you still upset about the hire and/or the previous firing. I wish you peace.

listened to podcast.. sounds like he says friends/family input wasn't important, Nike wasn't important, etc, etc, etc... both were important if you ask me

One thing to remember that most folks don't think about with South Dakota kids (Farnioks). There isn't much Husker football presence in Sioux Falls and most of South Dakota. You could get game broadcasts in SE South Dakota but 1110 is sketchy north of Sioux City. I think 590 is better. Most of the local TV and radio is focused on ISU and Iowa and Iowa football can always be had on Sioux Falls radio. There's a large number of Husker fans in eastern South Dakota but the state is primarily focused on SDSU and USD football.

Huh?!? There is a ton of Husker football presence in Sioux Falls. Huskers were on 99.1FM last year when we were in Sioux Falls, not sure if it'll be the same with the network switch.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Huh?!? There is a ton of Husker football presence in Sioux Falls. Huskers were on 99.1FM last year when we were in Sioux Falls, not sure if it'll be the same with the network switch.
I wasnt' aware of that. Granted I'm not up there on game days BUT you can't get that station very far outside of SFalls and you don't get any of the Sports Nightly, 590 or 1620. SFalls is more Iowa as far as I can tell than it is NU. Iowa and ISU football is all over the SFalls TV stations all the time. In any case, anybody claiming South Dakota as NU territory because of geogaphic proximity isn't dealing with reality. People from SFalls and north probably follow Iowa and MInnesota more than they do the Huskers.

Wrong! He won 2 Grey Cups with Winnipeg in the CFL, he has the most wins of any coach at Oregon St. and with his record there that tells you how dismal that program has been historically. I would say he has won some.

LOL!

I bet he flashes that CFL bling on every recruiting visit. He then spends the next 30 minutes explaining to the kid what a "Grey Cup" is and why it's so hard to win in Corvallis.

And you like JOSH HEIMHOLDT's evaluation better than Mike Riley's? Alrighty then. Good luck to him. I suspect that Riley has seen lots more of Fant than Josh has.

You wanna compare Mike Riley's track record with TEs to Kirk Ferentz's? Pretty please?

I wasnt' aware of that. Granted I'm not up there on game days BUT you can't get that station very far outside of SFalls and you don't get any of the Sports Nightly, 590 or 1620. SFalls is more Iowa as far as I can tell than it is NU. Iowa and ISU football is all over the SFalls TV stations all the time. In any case, anybody claiming South Dakota as NU territory because of geogaphic proximity isn't dealing with reality. People from SFalls and north probably follow Iowa and MInnesota more than they do the Huskers.
Sioux Falls TV stations covering Iowa and ISU has to do with the fact their coverage area includes part of NW Iowa. You might be able to pick up the stations in far NE Nebraska, but they are not part of their main coverage area, hence there is less reason to cover Nebraska. From what I have heard from people who live up there, Sioux Falls(and SD as a whole) are at least as pro-Nebraska as they are pro-Iowa.

Sioux Falls TV stations covering Iowa and ISU has to do with the fact their coverage area includes part of NW Iowa. You might be able to pick up the stations in far NE Nebraska, but they are not part of their main coverage area, hence there is less reason to cover Nebraska. From what I have heard from people who live up there, Sioux Falls(and SD as a whole) are at least as pro-Nebraska as they are pro-Iowa.
Exacty my point. Iowa + ISU + Gopher far outnumber Huskers. SDSU and USD are the real nuts in S Falls though. For the most part South Dakota football fans are pretty loyal to their in-state schools no matter what the level they play.

Huskers have plenty of radio coverage in South Dakota, and then there's that thing called TV. Nebraska has a very strong presence in Sioux Falls, I really have no clue what you're talking about. I'm dealing with reality, I have friends in Sioux Falls, I've been to Sioux Falls multiple times over the years - yes, during football season - I'm fairly confident I know what I'm talking about.

Don't take my word for it, here's what a Minnesota fan said...

Fellow Gopher Fans in Sioux Falls, SD.
I have been a long time follower, first time poster to this forum. Being a Gopher fan in a state overrun with Husker fans I have been trying to put together a group of Gopher fans in Sioux Falls, SD with little success to date. Curious out there if anyone is around the area that may also be interested in connecting for future Gopher events.

Exacty my point. Iowa + ISU + Gopher far outnumber Huskers

dingle, just stop.

What you originally posted was false, plain and simple. I've given you radio stations, I've given you first hand accounts and I've also given you what another fan base says.

Exacty my point. Iowa + ISU + Gopher far outnumber Huskers. SDSU and USD are the real nuts in S Falls though. For the most part South Dakota football fans are pretty loyal to their in-state schools no matter what the level they play.
That wasn't your point, You said people in the area follow Iowa more than they do Nebraska. I'm saying that is not at all what I have heard from people who live in the area. Frankly, I haven't heard much about Minnesota following in the area at all. They don't even get that strong of a following in their own state.

Short of a losing season, Kirk isn't getting fired anytime soon

Well, Iowa is being picked to finish 4th or 5th in the west in most publications. So if the 7-5 shoe fits, Ferentz may be wearing it at a directional school in 2016.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Huskers have plenty of radio coverage in South Dakota, and then there's that thing called TV. Nebraska has a very strong presence in Sioux Falls, I really have no clue what you're talking about. I'm dealing with reality, I have friends in Sioux Falls, I've been to Sioux Falls multiple times over the years - yes, during football season - I'm fairly confident I know what I'm talking about.

Don't take my word for it, here's what a Minnesota fan said...

Fellow Gopher Fans in Sioux Falls, SD.
I have been a long time follower, first time poster to this forum. Being a Gopher fan in a state overrun with Husker fans I have been trying to put together a group of Gopher fans in Sioux Falls, SD with little success to date. Curious out there if anyone is around the area that may also be interested in connecting for future Gopher events.

dingle, just stop.

What you originally posted was false, plain and simple. I've given you radio stations, I've given you first hand accounts and I've also given you what another fan base says.
I LIVE IN SOUTH DAKOTA AND AM IN SIOUX FALLS A BUNCH. I WATCH SIOUX FALLS TV EVERYDAY AND LISTEN TO SIOUX FALLS RADIO some albeit not if I can get a Husker based sports show. I notice the banners, license plate holders etc. I'll give you that the Gophers are NOT a big draw in Sioux Falls but they add to the cumulative "other" D-1 fan base in Sioux Falls. Heck, I see almost as many OU license holders as I do Husker holders on NON-Nebraska plated cars. There's a bunch of people that travel to SFalls on business or shopping trips from Nebraska so there's quite a few Nebraska plates in town. IF they lived here their car would be licensed here because it costs a fraction to license a car up here as it does in Nebraska. MOST South Dakota Husker fans are pretty casual fans. Just my observation. Not scientifically derived statistics.

I LIVE IN SOUTH DAKOTA AND AM IN SIOUX FALLS A BUNCH. I WATCH SIOUX FALLS TV EVERYDAY AND LISTEN TO SIOUX FALLS RADIO some albeit not if I can get a Husker based sports show. I notice the banners, license plate holders etc. I'll give you that the Gophers are NOT a big draw in Sioux Falls but they add to the cumulative "other" D-1 fan base in Sioux Falls. Heck, I see almost as many OU license holders as I do Husker holders on NON-Nebraska plated cars. There's a bunch of people that travel to SFalls on business or shopping trips from Nebraska so there's quite a few Nebraska plates in town. IF they lived here their car would be licensed here because it costs a fraction to license a car up here as it does in Nebraska. MOST South Dakota Husker fans are pretty casual fans. Just my observation. Not scientifically derived statistics.

IDGAF where you live. You yourself said you're not up there on game day. I gave you a radio station, FM station at that, that carries Nebraska football - in your home town of Sioux Falls. A radio station you had no idea about, while you're a resident. WTF does that tell me, and everyone else, about the knowledge of your own home town?!?!

Add in Wisconsin. Add in Oklahoma. Add in Ohio State. Add in Michigan. By the time you're done doing that, they will total more than USD and SDSU combined for christ sake.

Chew on this, Mr. Sioux Falls....

ncaa-fb-nebraska.png

ncaa-fb-main-map.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT