ADVERTISEMENT

Erstad gone

He wasn’t getting fired, just wants to be with his kids as they grow up.
Why put yourself through the stress of the job when you don't need the job? He's heard the catcalls from the peanut section. I hope this doesn't turn in to one of those "you don't appreciate what youv'e got until it's gone" scenarios. It pissed me off to read some of the lack of respect that he's gotten in social media and this message board. I can only imagine how it made him feel. Can't wait for Frost to "fail to meet expectations" so we can listen to the crap spewed then. "This is what we get for 5 million?" :rolleyes:
I wasn't a fan of Erstad but he's exiting the job in a classy way and at a good time. This past season was solid enough that very few people would say he was on the hot seat. Had he stepped down last year there would have been a lot more speculation and drama involved.

Don't think Moos can hit a Hoiberg-like home run given NU's conference affiliation, but the program still has a lot going for it. The job isn't likely to attract big names but there's a good range of coaches out there for whom it will be attractive.
Baseball doesn't have the revenue stream to make a "Hoiberg or Frost like hire". If he pays out big money for a baseball coach, he's robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Reactions: Can o' corn
I would too. But some guys NEED to work, stay busy etc. That and maybe they don't like staying home with the wife.RollingLaugh
If you're doing what you love, you'll never work a day in your life.... In THIS case, I suspect Erstad wasn't loving what he was doing anymore. It's one thing to fall short in your own eyes but it's another ballgame when you hear how you're falling short from other people. He said screw it. Let somebody else do this job. Life's too short.

Now our fine Nebraska fickle fans can be happy after they incessantly wanted Erstad fired. Nebraska is a tough place to coach. Coaches will always be under the microscope. We may have the best fans in the country but we have the worst fans in the country too on how we treat our coaches with vitriol and will always call them out to be fired...
many posters will not like what you posted but it is very true. I've watched it take place since Devaney in basketball, football and baseball. Granted I was in the peanut gallery on Pelini but IMO that was with just cause after some of his melt downs. The way that some fans make it personal with guys doing their job but with underperforming results is unsettling.

Can't wait for Frost to "fail to meet expectations" so we can listen to the crap spewed then.
Why would you put fail to meet expectations in quotation marks? You were first in line to swear up and down that Erstad was absolutely, positively going to kill it as Nebraska's head coach. Did he meet those expectations, or didn't he?

Why would you put fail to meet expectations in quotation marks? You were first in line to swear up and down that Erstad was absolutely, positively going to kill it as Nebraska's head coach. Did he meet those expectations, or didn't he?
You better show me where I said "Erstad was going to kill it" as Nebraska's head coach. He's had a fair amount of success. The experiment of hiring a former MLB player without coaching experience is over. I was always concerned about that but thought his name would pull in some great players. The problem is in baseball that great players can go straight to the pros. I just don't like it when fans pile on a guy doing his job the right way and representing our University the right way with reasonable results.. I've said all along that if Erstad gets to the point where he doesn't feel like he's getting the job done or that he isn't wanted anymore, that he would resign. He deserves a ton of respect and he's gotten less than that from some fans.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
You better show me where I said "Erstad was going to kill it" as Nebraska's head coach. He's had a fair amount of success. The experiment of hiring a former MLB player without coaching experience is over. I was always concerned about that but thought his name would pull in some great players. The problem is in baseball that great players can go straight to the pros. I just don't like it when fans pile on a guy doing his job the right way and representing our University the right way with reasonable results.. I've said all along that if Erstad gets to the point where he doesn't feel like he's getting the job done or that he isn't wanted anymore, that he would resign. He deserves a ton of respect and he's gotten less than that from some fans.
The threads are 8 years old now, but when I stated that I was disappointed in the Erstad hire and that I expected mediocre results you were one of the lead finger-waggers who could not believe that an NU baseball fan could speak such heresy.

Turns out Erstad actually met my expectations to the letter but fell well short of yours. But that's okay, you just proceeded to do what you always do - move the goalposts enough that you can tell everyone you were right all along.

The threads are 8 years old now, but when I stated that I was disappointed in the Erstad hire and that I expected mediocre results you were one of the lead finger-waggers who could not believe that an NU baseball fan could speak such heresy.

Turns out Erstad actually met my expectations to the letter but fell well short of yours. But that's okay, you just proceeded to do what you always do - move the goalposts enough that you can tell everyone you were right all along.
"finger waggers"? Really? I think your memory of 8 years ago is a bit off. Personally I drank the Kool-Aid on his abiltity to recruit to NU based on his MLB cred and probably stated that. That said, I never discounted the concern about his lack of coaching experience. Secondly, MY expectations for Erstad were that he would run a winning program and do it in a respectable manner. He did that. Not once did I suggest that he was going to make us a regular in the CWS which seems to be the expectation of some fans on this board. Not saying you. I've said my piece. I'm disappointed in the way some fans called him names on this board and social media. I'm done with this. Not going to debate it.

You know, this whole vibe of "he's wrongly criticized and no one appreciates him and we have bad fans, social media, blah, blah, blah" is just tired. It's 2019. Look around, every corner of our existence is affected by social media, much of it negative. That's just life, and if you let it affect your happiness (any of us) you need to reevaluate where you find your self worth. If any of our coaches are lying awake at night worried about what is being written on this board or in the media, they are a loser who simply will not succeed. I don't believe that Erstad quit because he feels unappreciated by all of us. He's not that lame. He gave it 8 years, never achieved his goals, and he's ready to move on. Don't overthink it.

You know, this whole vibe of "he's wrongly criticized and no one appreciates him and we have bad fans, social media, blah, blah, blah" is just tired. It's 2019. Look around, every corner of our existence is affected by social media, much of it negative. That's just life, and if you let it affect your happiness (any of us) you need to reevaluate where you find your self worth. If any of our coaches are lying awake at night worried about what is being written on this board or in the media, they are a loser who simply will not succeed. I don't believe that Erstad quit because he feels unappreciated by all of us. He's not that lame. He gave it 8 years, never achieved his goals, and he's ready to move on. Don't overthink it.

30 years ago it was dudes bitching about the staff in the diners and bars...now it is on twitter...that is the only difference.

"finger waggers"? Really? I think your memory of 8 years ago is a bit off. Personally I drank the Kool-Aid on his abiltity to recruit to NU based on his MLB cred and probably stated that. That said, I never discounted the concern about his lack of coaching experience. Secondly, MY expectations for Erstad were that he would run a winning program and do it in a respectable manner. He did that. Not once did I suggest that he was going to make us a regular in the CWS which seems to be the expectation of some fans on this board. Not saying you. I've said my piece. I'm disappointed in the way some fans called him names on this board and social media. I'm done with this. Not going to debate it.

Yeah. I tend to agree. I try to find the good in most NU coaches even if I don't think its a good hire because I am a fan and an alum. The hindsight police that come out are comical and in the grand scheme it sucks that we have to find another coach because it feels like starting over no matter the sport. I liked the idea of Erstad too and thought he would bring in talent and get it rolling. He didn't, so now the hindsight police like to tell us that they know who we should have hired and that they are the expert even though they are a farmer in Lexington... That's good and the bad of the message board.

Yeah. I tend to agree. I try to find the good in most NU coaches even if I don't think its a good hire because I am a fan and an alum. The hindsight police that come out are comical and in the grand scheme it sucks that we have to find another coach because it feels like starting over no matter the sport. I liked the idea of Erstad too and thought he would bring in talent and get it rolling. He didn't, so now the hindsight police like to tell us that they know who we should have hired and that they are the expert even though they are a farmer in Lexington... That's good and the bad of the message board.
Don't know if he would have come to Lincoln or not, but the guy I wanted NU to go after when Mike Anderson was fired was Gary Gilmore from Coastal Carolina. Google him and see if he's done anything good the past 8 years or so.

Signed,

The Hindsight Police

Don't know if he would have come to Lincoln or not, but the guy I wanted NU to go after when Mike Anderson was fired was Gary Gilmore from Coastal Carolina. Google him and see if he's done anything good the past 8 years or so.

Signed,

The Hindsight Police

Yeah, but that is surely opinion. You had no idea that he would have been better than Erstad at the time. In your head, yes, because he was your pick, but you don't know. But go on thumping your chest just because you had a good educated guess.

Before all of this went down when DVH left I would have loved to have Childress be the coach instead of Anderson.. Why you ask? Because I went to Big Red baseball school and spent quite a bit of time with Childress as we were in talks about me possibly trying to walk on. At those camps a lot of people thought Anderson was an asshole and wanted nothing to do with the guy where Childress was awesome and spent way more time trying to make people better. I had an opinion that he should have been the guy, but after Anderson didn't work out I wasn't going to come back and blast people for thinking he might do alright and say that I knew Childress should have been the guy. At the end of the day it sucked that we had to start over again.. So congrats on a good guess.. Maybe you and others should all become assistant AD's for baseball to make sure we get the correct guy.

Signed,

I'm sorry you are just a fan.

That was kinda the vibe on sports nightly. I didn't listen long enough to know who was co-hosting with Sharpe. But whoever he was was finger wagging at all the criticizers and it needs to stop and long story short, they should be ashamed of themselves and that they contributed to the resignation of Coach Erstad.

Then they took the first caller who took that narrative and ran with it. He was also criticizing Moos for his "cold shoulder support" of Coach Erstad. Said he travels all over and knows people from all over the country. Claims Husker fans are the laughing stock of college fans because we aren't the "greatest fans". Actually called us far from it. Then this caller went on to say that he can't wait till this fall when Coach Frost has a disappointing season.

Well Sharpe corrected him about his interpretation of the support for Erstad coming from administration. Not sure where the caller was getting his information. But this guy was definitely very bitter. Not sure what coach got canned that made the caller feel so negative but I sure felt he had a deep grudge against something or someone.

Yeah, but that is surely opinion. You had no idea that he would have been better than Erstad at the time. In your head, yes, because he was your pick, but you don't know. But go on thumping your chest just because you had a good educated guess.

Before all of this went down when DVH left I would have loved to have Childress be the coach instead of Anderson.. Why you ask? Because I went to Big Red baseball school and spent quite a bit of time with Childress as we were in talks about me possibly trying to walk on. At those camps a lot of people thought Anderson was an asshole and wanted nothing to do with the guy where Childress was awesome and spent way more time trying to make people better. I had an opinion that he should have been the guy, but after Anderson didn't work out I wasn't going to come back and blast people for thinking he might do alright and say that I knew Childress should have been the guy. At the end of the day it sucked that we had to start over again.. So congrats on a good guess.. Maybe you and others should all become assistant AD's for baseball to make sure we get the correct guy.

Signed,

I'm sorry you are just a fan.
I have no intention of blasting anyone for thinking Erstad was a good hire or for supporting him throughout his tenure. It's his die-hard fans who feel compelled to pick a fight with anyone who dared disagree with them about the hire or who prefer to look at Erstad's performance at NU objectively. If you don't believe me, please review the comments in this thread and see who came here for that reason and that reason only. Until the blowharding began about how the big meanie fans rode poor Darin out of town on a rail, this thread was all about wishing him well and discussing who the next coach would be.

Last edited:
That was kinda the vibe on sports nightly. I didn't listen long enough to know who was co-hosting with Sharpe. But whoever he was was finger wagging at all the criticizers and it needs to stop and long story short, they should be ashamed of themselves and that they contributed to the resignation of Coach Erstad.

Then they took the first caller who took that narrative and ran with it. He was also criticizing Moos for his "cold shoulder support" of Coach Erstad. Said he travels all over and knows people from all over the country. Claims Husker fans are the laughing stock of college fans because we aren't the "greatest fans". Actually called us far from it. Then this caller went on to say that he can't wait till this fall when Coach Frost has a disappointing season.

Well Sharpe corrected him about his interpretation of the support for Erstad coming from administration. Not sure where the caller was getting his information. But this guy was definitely very bitter. Not sure what coach got canned that made the caller feel so negative but I sure felt he had a deep grudge against something or someone.

Any fan who says they can't wait until Frost fails this fall is not a fan and can go f#$% themself.

Any fan who says they can't wait until Frost fails this fall is not a fan and can go f#$% themself.
I might have been paraphrasing too much and his angst was directed at the fans more than an anti Frost thing. But yeah, I really even wondered if this guy actually had any clothes with Husker logo's on it!!

Reactions: huskerfan1414

The caller was probably an Iowa fan.

A&M can easily match anything we offer if they want him bad enough and it comes down only to money. A&M is one of the richest schools out there.

True, but they also have a new AD with no history with Childress. Given his track record so far, I fully expect Moos at least to take a swing.

Reactions: dinglefritz

It's funny how people can create a dialogue in their mind that becomes reality. I always try to remind myself that no one gives a crap what I think, let alone Erstad or Frost. This board at times seems to be 90% an "I told you so!" contest.

I listened to it. That guy was bitter and sad.

The vibe you mention is more than "tired". People can hem and haw any way they want to spin it but the bottom line is our major sports besides volleyball are not competitive and that needs to change. I believe Nebraska fans are by and large "fair" and if there was mounting criticism it was due to more than a few bad apple on social media.

Reactions: schuele
Since you listened to it do, in your opinion, did I summarize it correctly?
You did, very well. I bet after that guy finished obsessing over the conspiracy that Moos was working behind the scenes to force DE out he adjusted his tin foil hat and started stewing about the government not telling us about the aliens.

Reactions: jdhenke18
You did, very well. I bet after that guy finished obsessing over the conspiracy that Moos was working behind the scenes to force DE out he adjusted his tin foil hat and started stewing about the government not telling us about the aliens.
I got out of the tractor and didn't listen to anymore of the show. Anything else notable to relay???

True, but they also have a new AD with no history with Childress. Given his track record so far, I fully expect Moos at least to take a swing.
One of Moos' best friends is Bill Byrne. Byrne made the colossal mistake of hiring that weirdo Mike Anderson instead of Childress after DVH left. A mistake he corrected when he went to Texas A&M. Moos has enough connections to Childress that he could make it happen. IMO Childress is the absolute best we can do. I have heard from probably a half dozen of his former players that he was the main reason we became what we did in the early 2000s I have no doubt he could get us back to when we were contenders on the national level.

I didn't know this until today. Quite a few NU connections there.

A&M Baseball Staff
  • Rob Childress. Head Coach.
  • Will Bolt. Assistant Coach. ...
  • Justin Seely. Assistant Coach. ...
  • Jeff Christy. Assistant Coach.

Reactions: huskerfan66
A lot of sanctimonious BS coming out of the woodwork now. :rolleyes:

Maybe you thought he was good enough as a coach. Fine. Putting up with mediocrity and thinking 'we can't do any better anyway' because the coach is nice and does it 'the right way' is fine for some people. It is what Iowa fans do quite well for instance. But other people were not being unreasonable to criticize his coaching over his 8 years here. We put a lot of money and resources into our baseball program compared to other BiG TeN schools. Some of us feel that we should expect more than 1 out of 16 possible conference championships and a total of 2 post-season wins in that time.

I can guarantee that he didn't quit because of message board posts or catcalls hurting his feelings. What insane thought is that? It's laughable to be lectured about a lack of respect towards him. I saw few over-the-top personal attacks against him. People generally handled him with kid gloves because he is a Husker legend who was a good guy, etc. Believe me, I have seen FAR WORSE criticism directed towards other coaches AND PLAYERS on this same board. Even by some of the very same people who are finger-wagging at us now. RollingLaugh Maybe some day I can be the one to decide who can or can't be criticized by our fan base. I would really like that.

By the way, the criticism was far from being made in hindsight. It was being made in real time over the years by people who were actually following along with the program's ups and downs game-by-game, week-by-week, season-by-season. But now the hindsight police police have chimed in to spoil a perfectly good 'wish you a fond farewell' thread. It's time to respect Erstad and what he wants. Let this tiresome argument go and move forward. Unity of Purpose!

Signed,

The Hindsight Police
Man, I remember when they came to Lincoln a few years ago thinking that I absolutely loved what they did on offense. They had a nice mix of power and small ball. They bunted runners over, they bunted for base hits, they stole bases, they had gap power and home run power. They really put pressure on the defense with the way they put the ball in play.

Reactions: schuele
A lot of sanctimonious BS coming out of the woodwork now. :rolleyes:

Maybe you thought he was good enough as a coach. Fine. Putting up with mediocrity and thinking 'we can't do any better anyway' because the coach is nice and does it 'the right way' is fine for some people. It is what Iowa fans do quite well for instance. But other people were not being unreasonable to criticize his coaching over his 8 years here. We put a lot of money and resources into our baseball program compared to other BiG TeN schools. Some of us feel that we should expect more than 1 out of 16 possible conference championships and a total of 2 post-season wins in that time.

I can guarantee that he didn't quit because of message board posts or catcalls hurting his feelings. What insane thought is that? It's laughable to be lectured about a lack of respect towards him. I saw few over-the-top personal attacks against him. People generally handled him with kid gloves because he is a Husker legend who was a good guy, etc. Believe me, I have seen FAR WORSE criticism directed towards other coaches AND PLAYERS on this same board. Even by some of the very same people who are finger-wagging at us now. RollingLaugh Maybe some day I can be the one to decide who can or can't be criticized by our fan base. I would really like that.

By the way, the criticism was far from being made in hindsight. It was being made in real time over the years by people who were actually following along with the program's ups and downs game-by-game, week-by-week, season-by-season. But now the hindsight police police have chimed in to spoil a perfectly good 'wish you a fond farewell' thread. It's time to respect Erstad and what he wants. Let this tiresome argument go and move forward. Unity of Purpose!

WORD.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT