ADVERTISEMENT

Erstad gone

What about Will Bolt? Former Husker player and Coach and has been under Childress at A&M for some time now as his assistant?

I see there are some (or maybe the majority) that think we can't get a big name because we are in the B1G but I think, for a confident coach, that being in the B1G, at Nebraska (most importantly), should actually be a positive and here is why:

1) The competition in the B1G is mostly terrible, so you should have a free pass to the NCAA tournament every year with a near spotless record, meaning if you just have a few good wins in non-conference, you will most likely host a regional.

2A) This applies to pretty much every sport that Nebraska competes in, but Nebraska's fans, especially if there is a good product on the field, will show up in droves like no one else can really do in college baseball. Granted fans do show well in the SEC as long as it is nearby (for them), Nebraska will take over the CWS as we have shown (granted Nebraska makes it) which gives them a leg up to everyone else.

2B) Nebraska will have a home field advantage for every game of the CWS, its an incredible, built-in advantage that any coach should want to have.
2C) If some big name coach has hopes to elevate the sport, there is no better place to do it than Nebraska (again because of the fan support) which in time should increase popularity and viewership throughout the B1G and college baseball (see women's college volleyball) .

4) Nebraska can afford to pay big $$$ for coaches and facilities and really so can every school in the B1G, meaning the B1G has the potential to be a great baseball conference if the league and teams commit to it. But first some school is probably going to need to win something of significance (the CWS maybe) as a proof of concept that hey, B1G schools can be successful in baseball in the modern era.

I should also mention, that being in the north, shouldn't really be considered a reason for not being successful in baseball especially considering what Oregon State has done and continues to do (the only school more north than Oregon state in the B1G is Minnesota).

Bolt has not head coaching experience at this level. Also was not real popular with players when he was here as an asst. Just what I know!

Now our fine Nebraska fickle fans can be happy after they incessantly wanted Erstad fired. Nebraska is a tough place to coach. Coaches will always be under the microscope. We may have the best fans in the country but we have the worst fans in the country too on how we treat our coaches with vitriol and will always call them out to be fired...

I feel the same way. I’d be retired in a heartbeat. But that is probably why we aren’t P5 head coaches. Some people are just wired different.

But your point really stands with the Bill Snyder’s of the world. Does he hate is family? Not a fan of his grandchildren? That I really don’t get.
I retired in December. Today I used a weedeater on a quarter acre including some hillside, raked it, then sprayed Roundup on the stuff I missed. Definitely not the hustle bustle excitement of my working life, but very Zen-like just the same.

Now our fine Nebraska fickle fans can be happy after they incessantly wanted Erstad fired. Nebraska is a tough place to coach. Coaches will always be under the microscope. We may have the best fans in the country but we have the worst fans in the country too on how we treat our coaches with vitriol and will always call them out to be fired...
We are not close to the worst fans... that’s ridiculous

I retired in December. Today I used a weedeater on a quarter acre including some hillside, raked it, then sprayed Roundup on the stuff I missed. Definitely not the hustle bustle excitement of my working life, but very Zen-like just the same.
Roundup??? Isn’t that stuff cancer inducing???

Isn’t the Virginia coach from Nebraska or has ties?
Brian married one of my friends daughters. He played at creighton and then coached as an assistant at Notre Dame before getting the head job for the hoos... my guess is he is pretty happy out there and isnt coming back.. dont know if he has family here still but i do know his wife does not .. her dad (who was my friend and neighbor) passed and her mom is in zona

I feel the same way. I’d be retired in a heartbeat. But that is probably why we aren’t P5 head coaches. Some people are just wired different.

But your point really stands with the Bill Snyder’s of the world. Does he hate is family? Not a fan of his grandchildren? That I really don’t get.
Most coaches at the highest level are uber competitive alpha males. You hear stories about guys like Jim Harbaugh who would have push up contests with his players when he was coaching the 49ers at age 50. Scott Frost repping 315 on hang clean in front of his players at age 42 to show them up. You have to the hungriest dude out there to compete at that level. Baseball is a little different from Football in that you're traveling nearly every day. Especially being in a cold weather state like Nebraska. Frost can put in a 16 hour day and still get home in time to see his wife and kid for an hour or 2, and he really only has to travel 6 weekends or so a year. DE had to travel basically every day for 6 to 9 months out of the year. He's also been doing that since he was about 18 years old so I can understand if he's ready to hang it up.

You've obviously never been to Boulder, Colorado

8 years with 1 Big 10 trophy out of a possible 16 isn't some nitpicking, microscopic judgment. It's not a difficult conference to win once every 2 or 3 years.

What about Will Bolt? Former Husker player and Coach and has been under Childress at A&M for some time now as his assistant?

Moos said he would look at guys with head-coaching experience first. If you look at the hires he's made in his career, they all have head coaching experience.

I see there are some (or maybe the majority) that think we can't get a big name because we are in the B1G but I think, for a confident coach, that being in the B1G, at Nebraska (most importantly), should actually be a positive and here is why:

1) The competition in the B1G is mostly terrible, so you should have a free pass to the NCAA tournament every year with a near spotless record, meaning if you just have a few good wins in non-conference, you will most likely host a regional.

2A) This applies to pretty much every sport that Nebraska competes in, but Nebraska's fans, especially if there is a good product on the field, will show up in droves like no one else can really do in college baseball. Granted fans do show well in the SEC as long as it is nearby (for them), Nebraska will take over the CWS as we have shown (granted Nebraska makes it) which gives them a leg up to everyone else.

2B) Nebraska will have a home field advantage for every game of the CWS, its an incredible, built-in advantage that any coach should want to have.
2C) If some big name coach has hopes to elevate the sport, there is no better place to do it than Nebraska (again because of the fan support) which in time should increase popularity and viewership throughout the B1G and college baseball (see women's college volleyball) .

4) Nebraska can afford to pay big $$$ for coaches and facilities and really so can every school in the B1G, meaning the B1G has the potential to be a great baseball conference if the league and teams commit to it. But first some school is probably going to need to win something of significance (the CWS maybe) as a proof of concept that hey, B1G schools can be successful in baseball in the modern era.

I should also mention, that being in the north, shouldn't really be considered a reason for not being successful in baseball especially considering what Oregon State has done and continues to do (the only school more north than Oregon state in the B1G is Minnesota).

(1) wouldn't every other B1G think the same way? If the league is that bad, then it is wide open for the taking. But, no one has done it. Can't tell me a Michigan or Ohio State don't have enough good baseball players in their area. Kind of goes back to what I used to tell my students who were trying to learn some shop skills and they commented about how hard it was to which I replied if it was easy, the guy would fix it himself or if it was easy then everyone would do it. The bottom line is I don't think it is that easy.

(4) I agree that there is a lot of money floating around the B1G these days. That is a big equalizer and is not an advantage or disadvantage. It is more about the willingness to spend the money on coaches or find other places to spend it, like facilities.

Base yes but Childress makes $800k a year total. About $580k more than Erstad did.
Moos has paid top dollar for all of his coaches so far. There's no reason to think he won't pay a guy 900k to $1 Million. I'm having trouble finding college baseball coaching salaries frankly but I have no reason to doubt that Moos won't shell out top 10 to top 15 money nationally.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Brian married one of my friends daughters. He played at creighton and then coached as an assistant at Notre Dame before getting the head job for the hoos... my guess is he is pretty happy out there and isnt coming back.. dont know if he has family here still but i do know his wife does not .. her dad (who was my friend and neighbor) passed and her mom is in zona

His parents still live in CB.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
I never understand guys who knock down a couple million a year (or more) and have been for a long time and coach into their 70s. I guess if you love what you do so be it, but if I have $15M in the bank, I'm kicking back.
I think some people live to work. It's not necessarily about $, but they have a passion for what they do, they are just wired a certain way. Many people die shortly after retirement for that very reason. The sense of purpose is gone.

Does your Riled up T-Shirt still fit?

I have said this before, and I will say it again. Other teams in the B1G with lesser facilities, less fan support and less pressure to do well are succeeding at least as well, if not better as Erstad. The idea that he's the best we could expect is nonsense.
Name the last big 10 team to win a college world series game? It doesn't really matter if a team does incrementally better, the only thing that matters in college baseball is getting to a super regional.

Name the last big 10 team to win a college world series game? It doesn't really matter if a team does incrementally better, the only thing that matters in college baseball is getting to a super regional.

2013 Indiana - CWS Team, record 1-2
2015 Maryland - Super Regional Team
2015 Illinois - Super Regional Team
2018 Minnesota - Super Regional Team
2019 Michigan - Super Regional Team

Reactions: TheNewNU
So what extra restrictions does the BIG put on baseball? According to sports nightly their is.

So what extra restrictions does the BIG put on baseball? According to sports nightly their is.
There's an "oversigning" restriction that some other conferences don't have. From my understanding, your classes can only be so big, but if a player signs a letter of intent to play for you, gets drafted, and decides to go pro instead of playing in college, that counts against your class size limit. In the conferences that don't have this restriction, teams can sign as many as they want, see who goes pro and who doesn't, and then play with their numbers creatively (not sure exactly what they do).

Anyway, that was a very non-specific answer because I don't understand all of it, just what I've read and picked up over the years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT