ADVERTISEMENT

Erstad gone

Considering Moose's recent hiring history I imagine he will pick someone who will do more than an adequate job.

Reactions: HuskerO
I agree that after the way they ended the season (actually even if they would have kept tanking) that he wasn't getting fired even though it wouldn't have bothered me if he did. But I think he knew there were many unhappy fans and he didn't like that feeling of letting his alma mater down. Great man, not a great coach. Best of luck to him. Please dont give it to Silva.

Can’t say that I’m happy to see Erstad go—-I respect him very much and am quite surprised. It will be interesting to see if we can actually find a coach that can do better than coach Erstad. I’m not defending him, just saying it might be difficult in Nebraska to expect better results in baseball.

Well, good luck and thank you for everything DE. Hopefully you stay in Lincoln and raise your family. Husker forever.

Last edited:
Reactions: SOHusker11
I will assume DE truly wanted to walk away. I really don't think Moos would have fired him after the late-season surge through the B1G tourney.

But this takes a ton of pressure off Moos. He can hire his guy without being the AD that canned a Husker hero and big-time athletic donor. Would have been a messy PR situation regardless of results on the field.

Can’t say that I’m happy to see Erstad go—-I respect him very much and am quite surprised. It will be interesting to see if we can actually find a coach that can do better than coach Erstad. I’m not defending him, just saying it might be difficult in Nebraska to expect better results in baseball.
I have said this before, and I will say it again. Other teams in the B1G with lesser facilities, less fan support and less pressure to do well are succeeding at least as well, if not better as Erstad. The idea that he's the best we could expect is nonsense.

This is where I'm at. I don't know if we can do any better in this conference.
Then why are other teams in this conference doing better than us? It's really stunning to me how people don't even ask this basic, obvious question. It would be one thing if we were dominating the conference every year and going further than any other team in the conference in the postseason and just proving that we had maxed out. That is not the case. This mentality sounds like the way many people thought before we hired Dave Van Horn. Yeah, we were in the Big 12 back then, but a lot of people thought it was foolish to think that Nebraska could ever be consistently good in baseball. People thought John Sanders was the ceiling. It obviously wasn't.

Ok, right... everyone of us on this board has to work, and still has time to be around our kids as they grow up. Lame excuse .

That's a completely irrelevant statement. If you think his job was a simple 40 hour a week job you are wrong. He was likely spending 70-80 hours a week on the job, and there were many nights he didn't even get to go home. Now he doesn't need to work so he can be with his kids 24/7 if he wants. He made a choice that benefits family that few 9-5'ers can't make. You are making an apples and dump trucks comparison.

Kendall Rodgers told Unsportsmanlike Conduct last month that Nebraska is still attractive to coaches. This jives with what TO said in 2011, lots of interest from active head and assistant coaches around the country. Will Moos find somebody better? Nebraska could no doubt have done worse than DE, but don't believe he was the best option in 2011 and was put in an awkward spot by TO, then doubled down last year refusing to consider replacing any assistants.

Reactions: Truehuskerfan
Thank you Coach!!! True Husker!

PLEASE don’t let the name TODD BUTLER cross your path, Mr.Moos!!!

I wasn't a fan of Erstad but he's exiting the job in a classy way and at a good time. This past season was solid enough that very few people would say he was on the hot seat. Had he stepped down last year there would have been a lot more speculation and drama involved.

Don't think Moos can hit a Hoiberg-like home run given NU's conference affiliation, but the program still has a lot going for it. The job isn't likely to attract big names but there's a good range of coaches out there for whom it will be attractive.

Probably a good thing for everybody. I will always love DE but this team was stagnant for years and pretty much rolled over whenever adversity hit in big situations.

His fault? He's the coach.

He wasn't going to be fired (for good reason). Given Moos' history getting coaches, it's probably a good time to step forward as a program. It's also possible DE asked Moos who he could get and then it was a mutual decision that allowed DE to leave with all due well earned respect. We don't know what happened.

Lord knows Darin has earned enough for this to be civil and i would hope he knows we freakin love him regardless. Period, end of discussion.

I wish him and his family the best and I won't be alone in that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT