ADVERTISEMENT

Dylan Raiola film

ol will need to get a lot better on pass pro. no more excuses.
will need a few more top olinemen for uncle rollo
very nice

Last edited:
Reactions: Laner2
Yep. That's what I have said. This kid is on a completely different level. I think McCord knows that. It's actually pretty wise for him to look elsewhere. He would have been holding a clipboard.
Gonna be startin a freshman, fellas.

On a side note, HH was compared to Tommie Frazier more than a few times after he’d won a couple games. Lol…

Last edited:
Agree with everything you said. Except I think he has the potential to be a generational talent. Other than a couple of things you pointed out (good observations, btw...), I did notice on a couple of throws, he didn't drive through and finish the throw. Those throws may have very well been the ones you were talking about irt foot placement.

Some of this could be simply because he is just so freakish with his arm strength, he trusts that TOO much. It's much easier to "fix" this than a throwing motion, though, imo.

I didn't coach Qb's.....so you probably picked up a couple of things that I may have missed, too.

Still, I am sure a conversation with McCord and family went something like this:

McCord: So, if DR comes here....is he going to rs?

Satterfield: No.

McCord: I better look elsewhere.

EDIT: ..and yes, irt Taylor Martinez. He was almost a textbook example of how to NOT throw a football. Lol
Put down the koolaid

First of all: Let's recognize "The Return" of @HuskerDana

🎶WELCOME BACK🎶

2nd of all let's recognize the film. My take. Die-Lahn does not need a 5-star OL, maybe not even a 4-star Line. He can make the throws WITH pressure!

I'm N!....if we get him.

If we don't.........more whiskey.....hey bartender!
Thanks. I've been lurking around and posting a little. I just don't start a lot of threads. Good to "see" you again!

No doubt DR has an incredible arm. Most of these highlights were either of the bomb variety or feature his ability to throw with people hanging on him.

Can he read a D, pre snap, make the line calls, and go through progressions? Those are very difficult for freshmen to learn so I would expect some learning pains in those areas.

I am always cautious watching HS film as it's always hard to tell how good the opposition. I remember similar film out this year with Sims college highlights and how dominate he was in THOSE highlights. I think the thread headline was something like, "This is all you need to know about Sims." I could be wrong.

It will be exciting to see this offense grow, lots of youth all around.
I don't disagree with you about getting too overly excited about hs film. I usually don't. Having to study film in the past (granted, from the defensive perspective), this kid is eye-popping, though. The kind of talent he has is flat out ridiculous.

I will admit, I didn't necessarily look up or study a lot of other top qb recruits. I kind of check some of it a bit. The only reason I looked harder irt DR is because he was potentially coming to NU....or we at least had a shot.

I'll eat my words and never post again if he is not what I am saying he is. I really think this kid is going to be something we never imagined we'd see here at NU. He can make EVERY SINGLE throw, straight out of hs.

Someone else here said that if he is at NU for three years, he will break every single record irt to passing. The only thing I'll disagree with is that....I think he'll shatter those records.

I hate sounding like I am this kid's hype machine....or a close family member, but he is an extremely rare talent, imo.

One thing required with a QB like Dylan are WRs who will track and fight for deep balls.
There will be times they may need to play some DB down the field, cus DR’s gonna sling it.

The trade off is that we can get a bunch of big chunk plays and TDs.
And, as many have already stated, this passing threat will make a world of difference for the run game.

Dylan’s composure stands out. You can tell he’s relaxed and poised. For being a true frosh, I think he’ll be mature beyond his years.

I know people wanted a portal wideout but think about the experience for 2025 if DR signs. DR throwing to Coleman, Lloyd, Fidone, Nelson. I think that Barney from Miami is going to be real good and he seems to run by people in Miami.

Agree with everything you said. Except I think he has the potential to be a generational talent. Other than a couple of things you pointed out (good observations, btw...), I did notice on a couple of throws, he didn't drive through and finish the throw. Those throws may have very well been the ones you were talking about irt foot placement.

Some of this could be simply because he is just so freakish with his arm strength, he trusts that TOO much. It's much easier to "fix" this than a throwing motion, though, imo.

I didn't coach Qb's.....so you probably picked up a couple of things that I may have missed, too.

Still, I am sure a conversation with McCord and family went something like this:

McCord: So, if DR comes here....is he going to rs?

Satterfield: No.

McCord: I better look elsewhere.

EDIT: ..and yes, irt Taylor Martinez. He was almost a textbook example of how to NOT throw a football. Lol
If we get Raiola I'm glad we have some young burner receivers. I also think that he is day one ready without question. And the
I don't disagree with you about getting too overly excited about hs film. I usually don't. Having to study film in the past (granted, from the defensive perspective), this kid is eye-popping, though. The kind of talent he has is flat out ridiculous.

I will admit, I didn't necessarily look up or study a lot of other top qb recruits. I kind of check some of it a bit. The only reason I looked harder irt DR is because he was potentially coming to NU....or we at least had a shot.

I'll eat my words and never post again if he is not what I am saying he is. I really think this kid is going to be something we never imagined we'd see here at NU. He can make EVERY SINGLE throw, straight out of hs.

Someone else here said that if he is at NU for three years, he will break every single record irt to passing. The only thing I'll disagree with is that....I think he'll shatter those records.

I hate sounding like I am this kid's hype machine....or a close family member, but he is an extremely rare talent, imo.
That is some jaw-dropping high school game footage. Better than what I saw from Arch Manning's film.

I know people wanted a portal wideout but think about the experience for 2025 if DR signs. DR throwing to Coleman, Lloyd, Fidone, Nelson. I think that Barney from Miami is going to be real good and he seems to run by people in Miami.
I like the potential of our guys (add Doss/Bell) but there’s a different level when it come to reliability (i.e. having great catching ability) and learning the nuance of the position.
I’ve gained some respect for coach McGuire, but am concerned about his ability to teach all the necessary details of the position to unlock these young guys’ potential.
Also need to make sure there’s clear peer leadership when it comes to accountability.

Fidone can be that guy for his room. His mindset is to lead, win and develop at all times. Who’s gonna step up for the WRs?

Where are the highlights? That film is not impressive. Hopefully we hire a real QB Coach to develop him quickly.
The kid makes some Holy Shit throws in his highlight film, but he is far from polished. Im not saying that he won't be a great qb but he makes some throws that will get picked quick at the D1 level.

Great arm. Great QB. ON3 can go pound sand. He is a game changer and no way only the 35th best player.

All that said, I wish these guys who do this kind of video analysis would lay off replaying the same pass 10 times. We have eyes. We saw what you saw. Maybe do each play twice and move on. I wanted to see a crisp video of all of his throws and instead had to wade through this dude's bullshit analysis.

The kid makes some Holy Shit throws in his highlight film, but he is far from polished. Im not saying that he won't be a great qb but he makes some throws that will get picked quick at the D1 level.

He definitely has the physical skills, but he seems to make quite a few questionable Martinez-esque decisions. I really wish we were able to bring in a veteran QB for a year while Raiola develops.

He definitely has the physical skills, but he seems to make quite a few questionable Martinez-esque decisions. I really wish we were able to bring in a veteran QB for a year while Raiola develops.
Yep. Thing I see is that he doesn't have the escapability that you need from a qb that isn't fully ready for D1 level play. Being that if he can't get the reads right he still has the ability to make something out of nothing with his feet.

Again. I hope we get him badly. We need him. But we there is a lot of room for improvement.

Would have been ideal but we will just have to take our lumps while our offense grows, if he comes here. The early enrollee part is huge.

And that's my disappointment with the 2024 recruiting class, I like to see a stud RB recruit in the class.
I think we have too many rbs for that. I agree. Was hoping for one of those thumpers. I believe that's the best way to get yards in this conference. Maybe one or two 3rd down catchers. But we need someone who if there is only a 2-3 yard hole they can rip through it and get 5-6 instead.

No matter how many times I try, autocorrect keeps changing trick play to Chick-fil-A. And I hate Chick-fil-A! LOL
You think this is an accident? God is smiting you via autocorrect. He loves the nugs and waffle fries.

• Haha
Reactions: bigboxes
Yep. Thing I see is that he doesn't have the escapability that you need from a qb that isn't fully ready for D1 level play. Being that if he can't get the reads right he still has the ability to make something out of nothing with his feet.

Again. I hope we get him badly. We need him. But we there is a lot of room for improvement.

Yeah he looks slow, and that's against high school competition. With our offensive line, it will be a miracle if he can even stay healthy most of the season.

Someone mentioned his feet not being in the proper throwing position. In watching the film, he seems to be slow in getting into throwing position. It could be the confidence in his arm, or it could just be a lack of urgency to get in the proper position. I tend to think it is the latter. Some of the throws were late, or there was too much air, which will lead to some picks as the game speeds up at the next level.

With all of that said, and I am no expert, but I didn't see anything that can't be fixed in a relatively short amount of time. The hardest part is going to be the foot speed and the elusiveness, he just doesn't have it. So he will have to learn to throw the ball away when he is pressured rather than taking unnecessary hits and wild throws because he held the ball too long.

He can definitely start as a freshman IMHO

Arm talent looks great. Hopefully he also has reading defense talent; progression talent; checking it down talent; feeling pressure talent; not throwing into double and triple coverage talent.

What a perfect schedule for a first-year freshman phenom to earn the starting QB spot:
  1. Three non-conference games at home against UTEP, Colorado (4-8) and FCS Northern Iowa.
  2. Two of three home games to open conference play against Illinois (5-7), @ Purdue (4-8) and Rutgers (6-6).
  3. After a bye week, a road game at Indiana in front of more NU than IU fans.
Sure, things get tougher after that (@OSU, UCLA, BYE, @USC, Wisconsin, @Iowa), but the slate is pretty ideal for him to have some early success and avoid injury.

I remember Dave Humm's first start, as a sophomore in 1972, on the road against UCLA, a 20-17 loss.
I remember Turner Gill's first start, as a sophomore in 1981, at home against a horrible CU team, a 59-0 victory.
I remember Tommie Frazier's first start, as a true frosh in 1992, on the road in Missouri, a 34-24 victory.
I remember Eric Crouch's first start as a RS frosh in 1998, at home against UAB, a 38-7 win.
I remember Taylor Martinez's first start, as a RS frosh in 2010, at home against W. Kentucky, a 49-10 win.
I remember Adrian Martinez's first start, as a true frosh in 2018, at home against Colorado, a 33-28 loss.

This is the best schedule any of those highly recruited phenoms faced in their first year as a starter.

What a perfect schedule for a first-year freshman phenom to earn the starting QB spot:
  1. Three non-conference games at home against UTEP, Colorado (4-8) and FCS Northern Iowa.
  2. Two of three home games to open conference play against Illinois (5-7), @ Purdue (4-8) and Rutgers (6-6).
  3. After a bye week, a road game at Indiana in front of more NU than IU fans.
Sure, things get tougher after that (@OSU, UCLA, BYE, @USC, Wisconsin, @Iowa), but the slate is pretty ideal for him to have some early success and avoid injury.

I remember Dave Humm's first start, as a sophomore in 1972, on the road against UCLA, a 20-17 loss.
I remember Turner Gill's first start, as a sophomore in 1981, at home against a horrible CU team, a 59-0 victory.
I remember Tommie Frazier's first start, as a true frosh in 1992, on the road in Missouri, a 34-24 victory.
I remember Eric Crouch's first start as a RS frosh in 1998, at home against UAB, a 38-7 win.
I remember Taylor Martinez's first start, as a RS frosh in 2010, at home against W. Kentucky, a 49-10 win.
I remember Adrian Martinez's first start, as a true frosh in 2018, at home against Colorado, a 33-28 loss.

This is the best schedule any of those highly recruited phenoms faced in their first year as a starter.
Good take. Plus, having a good, experienced defense should help take some of the pressure off. People hate on the line but there is continuity and a lot of experience there.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and 9and4
I already see the angle a few posters are using to write him off. Unreal
I assume you are talking about me. Im not writing him off. And I haven't read anyone that has. Some of us are just being realistic about the expectations of a true freshman playing in the Big 10 and at the collegiate level. There are some on here that have already given him the starting position and an NFL contract after his second year in school. Geez!

I assume you are talking about me. Im not writing him off. And I haven't read anyone that has. Some of us are just being realistic about the expectations of a true freshman playing in the Big 10 and at the collegiate level. There are some on here that have already given him the starting position and an NFL contract after his second year in school. Geez!
You work for On3?

Not you in particular. But let the kid have his moment. Early enrollment will be huge in development. Kid hasn't even landed and we have couch potato QB coaches critiquing his highschool film. Obviously talent evaluaters are looking at him differently then the experts on this board. Geez!

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Not you in particular. But let the kid have his moment. Early enrollment will be huge in development. Kid hasn't even landed and we have couch potato QB coaches critiquing his highschool film. Obviously talent evaluaters are looking at him differently then the experts on this board. Geez!
He's had plenty of moments in the sun. I have seen first hand what this board can do with the expectations for any player... little lone the calibre of DR. All im saying is pull back on the reigns a bit. Not once did I say I didn't agree with the evaluators.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Of all his strengths, you are very correct, his ability to run/avoid contsct is nearly non existent. We are watching HS film and he cannot escape. The play fake in the zone read means little. He is definitely a pro style, sit in the pocket kind of QB. Some in Husker nation will bring this up - I can hear it now, the statue, no threat with his legs, where is the option game, etc.

Reactions: cavalot
I'm calling BS on this. Didn't happen.
eh, yeah it did. Saw it a couple times. But maybe like 'hesitation cuts' kinda thing. They were serious but maybe not completely serious. Read every text thread between mid-September and mid-October and you'll see I'm right...

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
Of all his strengths, you are very correct, his ability to run/avoid contsct is nearly non existent. We are watching HS film and he cannot escape. The play fake in the zone read means little. He is definitely a pro style, sit in the pocket kind of QB. Some in Husker nation will bring this up - I can hear it now, the statue, no threat with his legs, where is the option game, etc.
Hopefully, getting away from the designed QB runs / options will help us keep a QB upright.

The entire QB room was injured by the last couple games of the season, I think that Purdy was just the least injured of the bunch.

The time is now for uncle Donnie to show what he's got.

His tape sort of reminds me of a slower/less allusive Spencer Rattler coming out if high school. Big arm, likes to chuck it way down field, can make all the throws but probably needs to fine tune the decision making just a bit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT