ADVERTISEMENT

Do we still have a shot to land Purdy?

cdriftt24

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 29, 2012
Anyone heard anything from that camp since Thompson committed? Curious if he is still interested and the odds we all think he ends up N???

Thompson has 2 years of eligibility. Smothers has 3. I could see Smothers leaving if he doesn’t win the starting job. Sure would be nice to have Purdy and his 4 years of eligibility around too.
Unless Logan decides to switch position like receiver/wildcat

• Love
Reactions: BleedRed78
Yaaaassss. Be what we needed Luke to be but failed to be honest with himself about. HUGE advantage to have a Swiss army knife like that on offense
Smothers has track-like speed. He can be such a weapon if he is open to a position switch. If he is open to that switch, I would just hope the coaches are up front and 100% honest other him. If they don’t think he can pull it off or get much playing time at a new position, I would rather see him transfer and play. I‘d hate to see him buy in, and then not get quality playing time.

If he does then at least Smothers is leaving. If that's the case...

Thompson
Haarberg
Purdy
Torres

Reactions: konaki
If he does then at least Smothers is leaving. If that's the case...

Thompson
Haarberg
Purdy
Torres
I'm not going to assume that Smothers is going anywhere. When you look at all of the QB injuries we've had over the years the spot gets to be a battle of attrition. His best shot to ever start a game for a P5 school is to stay at Nebraska. He's going to get great coaching from Whipple and IMO his only option would be to move down a notch to a group of 5 school and even then there's no guarantees for him. I haven't seen anything from Purdy that makes me think he would necessarily be ahead of Smothers on the depth chart come fall. I highly doubt that Frost would discourage Smothers by putting Purdy's name on a depth chart above him before the first game of the fall. IF Purdy comes here, he's likely willing to sit for a year behind CT. I would bet money that CT will be a one and done.

He’s definitely a project. Hard to believe that he was Verduzco’s only recruit this year.
He and Haarberg I believer were both plan B guys. Just imagine you're a stud high school QB say with a dad who played the game....and Mario walks in to your high school or living room. He doesn't exactly project the same kind of competence that a guy like Whipple does with the QBs he has coached.

I'm not going to assume that Smothers is going anywhere. When you look at all of the QB injuries we've had over the years the spot gets to be a battle of attrition. His best shot to ever start a game for a P5 school is to stay at Nebraska. He's going to get great coaching from Whipple and IMO his only option would be to move down a notch to a group of 5 school and even then there's no guarantees for him. I haven't seen anything from Purdy that makes me think he would necessarily be ahead of Smothers on the depth chart come fall. I highly doubt that Frost would discourage Smothers by putting Purdy's name on a depth chart above him before the first game of the fall. IF Purdy comes here, he's likely willing to sit for a year behind CT. I would bet money that CT will be a one and done.

That's very wishful thinking on Smothers...Whipple is the new OC and I feel he wouldn't have offered Purdy if he felt comfortable with Smothers. I could be wrong on that but seems that was the case. Smothers could easily go back to a place like S Bama and be the QB there.

I don't see Torres doing anything here, too skinny and will get the shit beat out of him if he gets hit.

I'm not sold on Torres or Haarberg. I don't think either will ever start here. If we don't get Purdy, we'll need to bring in another transfer QB next year.

That's very wishful thinking on Smothers...Whipple is the new OC and I feel he wouldn't have offered Purdy if he felt comfortable with Smothers. I could be wrong on that but seems that was the case. Smothers could easily go back to a place like S Bama and be the QB there.
That's not really logical. You offer the best kids you can find. Frost was left with a QB deficit when Luke transferred and IMO the plan all along was to fill that with a transfer. Then Adrian transfers and he needs 2 guys to get to the 5 scholarship QBs that he wants to carry on the roster. Why would you go to S. Alabama to be a backup when you've got a great QB coach and might be one injury away from being the starter ASSUMING he doesn't win the job over Thompson? I don't think Purdy would scare him off this spring. Maybe he would think about leaving if he ended up buried behind him on the depth chart. I don't see that happening in year one. Smothers is a smart kid with a good football IQ. We'll see what happens.

He can sit and learn for a year and watch Thompson then earn the job when Thompson leaves for the NFL. I have no doubt that is what Thompson would like to accomplish.

I like Smothers but not to consistently throw the football. Haarberg I like better with his size and he actually will surprise people with his running ability.

I like Smothers but not to consistently throw the football. Haarberg I like better with his size and he actually will surprise people with his running ability.
My concern with Haarberg is just the level he played at in high school and then what I saw last spring. He has a long ways to go IMO. Smothers I thought operated the offense really well and threw accurately. Even the INT was thrown to the right spot IF the WR had continued his route. I do think Thompson will be our starter but I hope Smothers sticks around. He gives us a viable option IMO if Thompson would get injured. I think he and Purdy would battle it out for the backup because for all the raw physical tools of Haarberg, I just don't see him being able to come in to a game yet without some time as a backup in mop up duty. Who knows?

He can sit and learn for a year and watch Thompson then earn the job when Thompson leaves for the NFL. I have no doubt that is what Thompson would like to accomplish.
Agreed, it will be a one and done deal with Thompson and if not Purdy it will be another solid QB from the portal after Thompson leaves for the NFL. I could see Nebraska roll the dice and go with what they have right now in the QB room. The best case scenario for Nebraska would be to get lucky and sign Dylan Raiola once he's finished with HS if that's at all possible, at least that's what I would love to see happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT