ADVERTISEMENT

Dirk takes a shot at Frost

your drunk recollection of the game is better than a coach who watched it SIX times. I said right from the get go that our dline held up. Their job was to keep olineman from the 2nd level...our safeties and lbs had issues with gaps but also just with physicality and tackling. My honest impression is they were looking for strips and to force turnovers because they knew it would a long night offensively. We are really thin at safety...that was going to be a concern and we lost our best safety on the first drive of the year. Those 25-30 yard runs should have been 8-10 if our safety play was better and so the missed fills or tackles shouldn't have been such a big deal. The last thing you could do in that weather was give up big running plays.
OH...thanks for reminding me that I forgot to ask your permission to think anything......because everyone knows...you are truly the only one who know anything and only your opinion matters......
ae0ced81df761e7ac2ce6a9069226845.gif

I can watch that game 6 times also and see how poor the offense played and how pushed around the defensive line was during all 6 viewings....it's not rocket science. You can spin it however you want to.

Okay mister know-it-all....you can believe whatever it is you want to make yourself feel good about how bad that game was. Even Frost said that this game was lacking in basic fundamentals by his team (which I find amazing at this point in his tenure).

Last edited:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. It's never wrong. Frost underestimated the situation at NU and attacked with all of the confidence and bravado that a guy who's been successful at many levels normally does. I would rather have that than "it looks sort of like football. We might be able to be a good football team this year". We'll get over it.

Did he underestimate the situation? Or could he and his staff be struggling as bad as the players are?

Coming in to the Big Ten is a whole different ballgame than scheming vs the AAC every week. This isn’t just a talent issue no matter how badly people want it to be.

I think there was a level of underestimation by Frost and his staff last year. In the level of talent that he thought was here, in the level of talent he thought he could bring in in such a short time and in the level of confidence he had in his offensive schemes. I can forgive him for that, I think a lot of people thought the same thing.

I am more concerned about the off season this year and the talk leading up to it where he is talking about competing for the West and how much better the team was. Did he really underestimate where this team was? That is really disturbing to me.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Did he underestimate the situation? Or could he and his staff be struggling as bad as the players are?

Coming in to the Big Ten is a whole different ballgame than scheming vs the AAC every week. This isn’t just a talent issue no matter how badly people want it to be.
Zatechka says it's depth, voids at key positions and being a year behind at least on S&C. He's an MD who played in the NFL. I trust he knows what he's talking about. Frost doesn't have what he needs yet. Those needs were addressed in this past recruiting class but they need time to get physically ready. As HE and MULTIPLE other former players said BEFORE this season, this was going to take several years. Zatechka said that multiple of his former teammates have echoed that same sentiment. Our guys did NOTHING for S&C for 3 years and it shows. I also got the drift that other than center, he tip toed around the O line's talent. I thought that could be fixed more quickly than that but Zatechka doesn't agree with that sentiment. Frost has had roughly 18 months. Zatechka says 2-3 years minimum from where we were at for anybody other than skill position guys. (disclaimer: obviously I'm paraphrasing from memory so don't hit me with "he didn't say that")

Reactions: zrob
Zatechka says it's depth, voids at key positions and being a year behind at least on S&C. He's an MD who played in the NFL. I trust he knows what he's talking about. Frost doesn't have what he needs yet. Those needs were addressed in this past recruiting class but they need time to get physically ready. As HE and MULTIPLE other former players said BEFORE this season, this was going to take several years. Zatechka said that multiple of his former teammates have echoed that same sentiment. Our guys did NOTHING for S&C for 3 years and it shows. I also got the drift that other than center, he tip toed around the O line's talent. I thought that could be fixed more quickly than that but Zatechka doesn't agree with that sentiment. Frost has had roughly 18 months. Zatechka says 2-3 years minimum from where we were at for anybody other than skill position guys. (disclaimer: obviously I'm paraphrasing from memory so don't hit me with "he didn't say that")

Zatechka is also a guy that will give a long long leash because Frost is part of the fraternity.

Again, we spanked Minnesota last year. And this year we didn’t show up. It’s going to take a lot of convincing to claim that the difference was last years senior class. Nobody is disputing that Frost needs more time and talent. But, we do quite a few things that poorly coached teams typically do. Maybe that will all be erased when and if(Frost better start recruiting) he gets more talent. I have my doubts based on the results thus far.

Zatechka is also a guy that will give a long long leash because Frost is part of the fraternity.

Again, we spanked Minnesota last year. And this year we didn’t show up. It’s going to take a lot of convincing to claim that the difference was last years senior class. Nobody is disputing that Frost needs more time and talent. But, we do quite a few things that poorly coached teams typically do. Maybe that will all be erased when and if(Frost better start recruiting) he gets more talent. I have my doubts based on the results thus far.
Minnesota was a mess last year and they had just fired their DC. This year they're sound and have a year more time in their system. Zatechka's points are ALL logical and obvious when you look at the situation. 5th year senior guard who has started for a couple of years. Farmer was a senior who had started a ton of games all the way from tackle inside to center. LOOK WHO WE REPLACED THEM WITH. Regardless of what their listed weight is, he noted how small our guards are and that Farniok is too heavy and slow. Who replaced Stan? Nobody has shown they mentally can do it other than Warner and he's certainly not a deep threat. Is Mills as good as Devine was? Not yet.

Bottomline: Its a MULTITUDE of things from personnel to S&C. We HAVE to develop better O linemen and they're working on that. We HAVE to recruit bigger and better linebackers. IMO, we covered that this past class. We need speed at WR. Chase is starting to play a little.

Minnesota was a mess last year and they had just fired their DC. This year they're sound and have a year more time in their system. Zatechka's points are ALL logical and obvious when you look at the situation. 5th year senior guard who has started for a couple of years. Farmer was a senior who had started a ton of games all the way from tackle inside to center. LOOK WHO WE REPLACED THEM WITH. Regardless of what their listed weight is, he noted how small our guards are and that Farniok is too heavy and slow. Who replaced Stan? Nobody has shown they mentally can do it other than Warner and he's certainly not a deep threat. Is Mills as good as Devine was? Not yet.

Bottomline: Its a MULTITUDE of things from personnel to S&C. We HAVE to develop better O linemen and they're working on that. We HAVE to recruit bigger and better linebackers. IMO, we covered that this past class. We need speed at WR. Chase is starting to play a little.

Minnesota DC wasn’t fired until a few games after Nebraska. They finished with 7 wins last year which sounds like a dream for this staff at this point.

Also, let’s stop putting Minnesota on a pedestal. They could have very easily lost to the likes of So Dakota St, Ga Southern, and Fresno St. All 3 teams looked far more competent than our team did. And despite all of the lack of talent talk...I will put our talent against those 3 teams any day of the week.

Next year will be very interesting as the “culture” excuse will be null and void as Frost will have two full classes to play if any upperclassmen still aren’t buying in.

Again, we spanked Minnesota last year. And this year we didn’t show up.
I say this in all seriousness, watch that game again. I was sitting here thinking the same thing yesterday so I decided to watch it again and see what the f*ck is wrong with this team.

We dominated them in the 1st half but from their last drive on the 2nd Q, they scored 3 straight TDs and it was 28-22 midway through the 3rd Q. The last time MN punted was right before NU fumbled in the 2nd Q and they never punted again. Big plays on both O and D won that game.

They were inside our 10 twice and came away with 0 points (interception and 4&G stop). They had TD called back for a hold and FG called back for a penalty. That is 24 points they left on the table that they didn't leave on the table this year.

The difference in that game was that they made a lot of mistakes and we capitalized on them. Our defense played the run much better and came up with key stacks and stops. Our offense was explosive because of AM, Morgan and Ozigbo. JD and Mo had some good plays as well.

So, to me, it wasn't quite the beat down I remembered although I still loved that game and how we won it. Our first win and I thought a sign of things to come. But a lot of the problems we see today were there in that game then as well.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Minnesota DC wasn’t fired until a few games after Nebraska. They finished with 7 wins last year which sounds like a dream for this staff at this point.

Also, let’s stop putting Minnesota on a pedestal. They could have very easily lost to the likes of So Dakota St, Ga Southern, and Fresno St. All 3 teams looked far more competent than our team did. And despite all of the lack of talent talk...I will put our talent against those 3 teams any day of the week.

Next year will be very interesting as the “culture” excuse will be null and void as Frost will have two full classes to play if any upperclassmen still aren’t buying in.
I was sure Minnesota fired their DC the week before the Nebraska game. Either way, they were a mess on defense and I agree that we should have better talent than Minnesota BUT we don't have the contributions from our upperclassmen that the Gophers do. It matters.

Chatelain: How could everyone be so wrong about the 2019 Huskers? Ask the coach
“Year 2 is when it’s gonna take off around here. And taking off doesn’t mean we’re gonna go undefeated, but we’ll be a really good team in two years.” — Scott Frost, April 2018

“We’ll be competing for our side in Year 2. I don’t know if we’ll win it. Then it just goes up from there.” — Frost, July 2018

“We aren’t that far away and I know how much better we can get.” — Frost, November 2018

“We’re ... miles ahead of where we were a year ago. ... I think we’ll surprise people with how much better we get and how quickly it happens.” — Frost, February 2019

Maybe Scott Frost talked a big game because he’d just come off a miraculous turnaround at UCF — 0-12 to 13-0 in two years. You’d be a little cocky, too.

Maybe he felt the immense pressure to restore Nebraska pride ASAP. He wanted to make his family and friends and former teammates and Tom Osborne feel the joys of winning again. You’d crave that feeling, too.

But as you’re trying to figure out how almost everyone could be SO wrong about Nebraska football in 2019, stop blaming the national media who picked NU for the Top 25. Stop blaming the Big Ten media who picked NU to win the West. Stop blaming the local media who gave you 19 stories to read every day in the offseason, almost all of them optimistic. Stop blaming Husker Kool-Aid drinkers who fall into the same trap every offseason, thinking that only their team lifted weights and recruited playmakers.

You know why everyone thought Nebraska had turned the corner in 2019? Because Frost said so!

I’m not rubbing his nose in it. I’m merely pointing out that outsiders got Nebraska wrong because the insiders got Nebraska wrong.

Frost, as it turned out, dramatically overstated his team’s prospects. He’s the homebuilder who promised he’d be painting your walls in six months and it turns out he’s still framing.

Husker fans can still be happy with the house someday. Perhaps even by the time they pack for Dublin. But, man, stop telling your friends that we should’ve seen these struggles coming and start recognizing that Frost himself set a high bar for Year 2. And we listened to him because of his past success. He carried immense credibility into this job. He knew what good football looked like and he knew how to rebuild a program.

Now the 2018 Peach Bowl feels like a decade ago.

Does it mean Frost is the wrong man for the job? Of course not. He can still fulfill all the Husker hopes he inspired.

But based on what’s happened this season, it’s fair to question his (and his staff’s) evaluation of the program. This was harder than he thought.

Back in February, Frost relayed a story at a luncheon that his trusted strength coach, Zach Duval, had made this statement about Huskers in the weight room: “Old Nebraska is almost back.”

Back in July, Frost stated that he wouldn’t trade Adrian Martinez for any quarterback in the country.

Some of this stuff is just what coaches say, obviously. Nobody wants a leader who walks around with his head down, muttering, “Gee, I just hope we’re competent, but I don’t know. We’ll have to wait and see.”

This is football, not world diplomacy. It’s OK to puff up your players. It’s OK to beat your chest.

But when you’re wondering why we had such outsized expectations for the Huskers this fall — I predicted 8-4 — remember the source of optimism.

Then ask yourself this question: If the November 2018 Huskers were playing the October 2019 Huskers, who would win? It’s last year’s team by double figures, right?

That wasn’t supposed to happen. Departing senior Jerald Foster said this after last year’s Iowa game: “This is an offense that’s going to be top 10, easily, next season.”

Instead, the Huskers rank 76th in total yards and 90th in scoring.

Where’s the player development? Where’s the growth up front? Over and over since joining the Big Ten, Husker coaching staffs have believed they could A) fight to a draw in the trenches and B) expose opponents on the edge. Over and over, we’ve realized that Nebraska wasn’t close in the trenches. And any advantage on the perimeter means nothing without big boys in the middle.

I had no expectations that Nebraska’s O-line would be good in 2019. But there was genuine hope that the defensive front seven would be better equipped to handle the weekly Big Ten grind. Based on Ohio State and Minnesota, the Blackshirts aren’t ready, either.

Frost has time to fix all of this. And even if he goes 0-5 the rest of the way, his fans will find reasons to get fired up for 2020. But this season does raise concerns.

For two years, Frost’s word carried a ton of weight. He knew the path back to national prominence and he knew the timeline. Now there’s a little bit of doubt.

You can tell when a coach — in Year 1, especially — knows his team isn’t any good. You feel for him. But sympathy turns to skepticism when a coach thinks his team is better than it really is. When his results don’t look much different from the coach he replaced and the culture he criticized.

Husker fans can stomach a few setbacks on the road to recovery. They can even endure a wasted season. As long as they can trust that Frost’s words are true.

Dirk is a DICK, always has been always will be. This was SO predictable.

Dirk is a DICK, always has been always will be. This was SO predictable.
this is almost laughable! I am not particularly a Dirk Chatelain fan....however, because he has done the sacrilegious and had the adacity to question what Frost had been telling everyone about this years team....and answered the question as to why we all had such high expectations....

"Dirk is a DICK, always has been always will be. This was SO predictable."

so I guess Steve SIpple is also a dick for questioning Frost ..."Frost on Sports Nightly says he didn't feel Nebraska was pushed around on EITHER line."

Now before some of you (you know who you are) get your proverbial panties in a wad....there has not been any mention of "firing" any coach or assistant coach....and I am a true fan (I'm a season ticket holder and have been for a long time and give my "donation" to the athletic department....do you?)...I am just sick and tired of having rainbows and unicorns coming out of the pressers....which is what Frost has done all summer and is still happening. Do I expect him to be brutally honest? NO....but stop the B.S.

yeah...Dirk hates Frost

https://www.omaha.com/sports/colleg...cle_3a735aeb-c20c-572d-b3ab-be11e9e661a3.html

Last edited:
Reactions: LBremser
I was sure Minnesota fired their DC the week before the Nebraska game. Either way, they were a mess on defense and I agree that we should have better talent than Minnesota BUT we don't have the contributions from our upperclassmen that the Gophers do. It matters.

Nope, fired him after the Illinois game and they immediately got better. They have only lost 1 game since they fired him.

is the program actually better than last year? last 6 games 2018 finished up 4-2.. the first 6 games of 2019 is 4-2.

does it feel like progress, or does it feel like the same, or like a lawn dart?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT