ADVERTISEMENT

Dirk takes a shot at Frost

Don't know how to attach Tweets, but this is what Dirk tweeted out;

Husker fan in August: We’re gonna be much better this year. I really believe it. Didn’t you see how last season ended?
Husker fan in October: Anybody who thought we were going to be much better this year is an idiot. Especially the media.

I laughed & I don't think he's wrong.

Chatelain: How could everyone be so wrong about the 2019 Huskers? Ask the coach
“Year 2 is when it’s gonna take off around here. And taking off doesn’t mean we’re gonna go undefeated, but we’ll be a really good team in two years.” — Scott Frost, April 2018

“We’ll be competing for our side in Year 2. I don’t know if we’ll win it. Then it just goes up from there.” — Frost, July 2018

“We aren’t that far away and I know how much better we can get.” — Frost, November 2018

“We’re ... miles ahead of where we were a year ago. ... I think we’ll surprise people with how much better we get and how quickly it happens.” — Frost, February 2019

Maybe Scott Frost talked a big game because he’d just come off a miraculous turnaround at UCF — 0-12 to 13-0 in two years. You’d be a little cocky, too.

Maybe he felt the immense pressure to restore Nebraska pride ASAP. He wanted to make his family and friends and former teammates and Tom Osborne feel the joys of winning again. You’d crave that feeling, too.

But as you’re trying to figure out how almost everyone could be SO wrong about Nebraska football in 2019, stop blaming the national media who picked NU for the Top 25. Stop blaming the Big Ten media who picked NU to win the West. Stop blaming the local media who gave you 19 stories to read every day in the offseason, almost all of them optimistic. Stop blaming Husker Kool-Aid drinkers who fall into the same trap every offseason, thinking that only their team lifted weights and recruited playmakers.

You know why everyone thought Nebraska had turned the corner in 2019? Because Frost said so!

I’m not rubbing his nose in it. I’m merely pointing out that outsiders got Nebraska wrong because the insiders got Nebraska wrong.

Frost, as it turned out, dramatically overstated his team’s prospects. He’s the homebuilder who promised he’d be painting your walls in six months and it turns out he’s still framing.

Husker fans can still be happy with the house someday. Perhaps even by the time they pack for Dublin. But, man, stop telling your friends that we should’ve seen these struggles coming and start recognizing that Frost himself set a high bar for Year 2. And we listened to him because of his past success. He carried immense credibility into this job. He knew what good football looked like and he knew how to rebuild a program.

Now the 2018 Peach Bowl feels like a decade ago.

Does it mean Frost is the wrong man for the job? Of course not. He can still fulfill all the Husker hopes he inspired.

But based on what’s happened this season, it’s fair to question his (and his staff’s) evaluation of the program. This was harder than he thought.

Back in February, Frost relayed a story at a luncheon that his trusted strength coach, Zach Duval, had made this statement about Huskers in the weight room: “Old Nebraska is almost back.”

Back in July, Frost stated that he wouldn’t trade Adrian Martinez for any quarterback in the country.

Some of this stuff is just what coaches say, obviously. Nobody wants a leader who walks around with his head down, muttering, “Gee, I just hope we’re competent, but I don’t know. We’ll have to wait and see.”

This is football, not world diplomacy. It’s OK to puff up your players. It’s OK to beat your chest.

But when you’re wondering why we had such outsized expectations for the Huskers this fall — I predicted 8-4 — remember the source of optimism.

Then ask yourself this question: If the November 2018 Huskers were playing the October 2019 Huskers, who would win? It’s last year’s team by double figures, right?

That wasn’t supposed to happen. Departing senior Jerald Foster said this after last year’s Iowa game: “This is an offense that’s going to be top 10, easily, next season.”

Instead, the Huskers rank 76th in total yards and 90th in scoring.

Where’s the player development? Where’s the growth up front? Over and over since joining the Big Ten, Husker coaching staffs have believed they could A) fight to a draw in the trenches and B) expose opponents on the edge. Over and over, we’ve realized that Nebraska wasn’t close in the trenches. And any advantage on the perimeter means nothing without big boys in the middle.

I had no expectations that Nebraska’s O-line would be good in 2019. But there was genuine hope that the defensive front seven would be better equipped to handle the weekly Big Ten grind. Based on Ohio State and Minnesota, the Blackshirts aren’t ready, either.

Frost has time to fix all of this. And even if he goes 0-5 the rest of the way, his fans will find reasons to get fired up for 2020. But this season does raise concerns.

For two years, Frost’s word carried a ton of weight. He knew the path back to national prominence and he knew the timeline. Now there’s a little bit of doubt.

You can tell when a coach — in Year 1, especially — knows his team isn’t any good. You feel for him. But sympathy turns to skepticism when a coach thinks his team is better than it really is. When his results don’t look much different from the coach he replaced and the culture he criticized.

Husker fans can stomach a few setbacks on the road to recovery. They can even endure a wasted season. As long as they can trust that Frost’s words are true.
Should post a link to this story vs. just ripping it and pasting it here. It's not only the proper thing to do but it's a copyright violation. These guys go to school to be trained to research and write. Newspapers pay them for their craft - not to just rip it and post elsewhere for free.

Should post a link to this story vs. just ripping it and pasting it here. It's not only the proper thing to do but it's a copyright violation. These guys go to school to be trained to research and write. Newspapers pay them for their craft - not to just rip it and post elsewhere for free.
normally I would agree with you, but this is an article that people deserve to read. why don't you pull the copyright card out when it's just a mundane article?

finally.. been waiting for the media to quit being scared..

Scott is the kind of guy who responds to pressure well.

Glad to see the media finally start doing its part to hold the coach accountable for our program.
giphy.gif

All of the Frost apologists are gonna come after you! According to some on here...this coaching staff doesn't have or have to have anything to prove. I've been saying all along here lately that I was sick of Frost blowing smoke up my a** everytime he talks about this team.

Maybe this will prompt a "come to Jesus" meeting with the team and the staff.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Don't know how to attach Tweets, but this is what Dirk tweeted out;

Husker fan in August: We’re gonna be much better this year. I really believe it. Didn’t you see how last season ended?
Husker fan in October: Anybody who thought we were going to be much better this year is an idiot. Especially the media.

I laughed & I don't think he's wrong.
Definitely true.

Reactions: HuskerO
I look at it this way, Frost’s comments were entirely coachspeak and were entirely expected. What was he going to say? We are really going to take a step back this year? Of course not. He is trying to make the program look/sound as good as possible. The inane part is that (as usual) Dirk just bobbleheaded along and didn’t do any work to form his own opinion, along with most of the fan base. I think him particularly calling out Frost’s fans as “his” show that Dirk is hoping for a rift and enjoying the fact that he can stir up shit and generate clicks. As the media usually does, he rides the fence and then jumps in to ride the wave of outrage. And the sheeple follow along because they are too lazy to form their own opinion...

We are really not that young. Stop with the Bob Dylan soundtrack “Forever young”
Look at all the starts along the defensive line, linebackers, corner backs, left and right tackle of our offensive line, right guard
I’ve been on the road and I’ve seen Wisconsin start redshirt freshman on their offensive line and they don’t miss a beat
They currently have younger offensive lineman starting than we do, they have two RS sophomores and they are straight up handling people
Frost defended Duval at the last press conference
No doubt the culture is still being built but credibility only goes so far as what are the results on the field versus your BIG peers especially
Take a look at Minnesota’s “young” offensive line. They did OK this past Saturday
Oh ok, since I read your post I've become convinced that having talented upperclassmen on a football team is no longer relevant.

If Minnesota has beaten a bunch of crappy teams so far this year they must be the blueprint to become elite. I'm sure we'll see them in the playoff.

Sincerely,
Mike Riley's 7-0 start in 2016

Yeah, youth is just an excuse. Even take a look at CU. They have a younger team than us and manged to do ok vs us. I agree young is a factor but not as large as many want to believe. There are other issues going on besides just youth.
How did CU do against Oregon?

“Year 2 is when it’s gonna take off around here. And taking off doesn’t mean we’re gonna go undefeated, but we’ll be a really good team in two years.” — Scott Frost, April 2018

“We’ll be competing for our side in Year 2. I don’t know if we’ll win it. Then it just goes up from there.” — Frost, July 2018

“We aren’t that far away and I know how much better we can get.” — Frost, November 2018

“We’re ... miles ahead of where we were a year ago. ... I think we’ll surprise people with how much better we get and how quickly it happens.” — Frost, February 2019

Maybe Scott Frost talked a big game because he’d just come off a miraculous turnaround at UCF — 0-12 to 13-0 in two years. You’d be a little cocky, too.

Maybe he felt the immense pressure to restore Nebraska pride ASAP. He wanted to make his family and friends and former teammates and Tom Osborne feel the joys of winning again. You’d crave that feeling, too.

But as you’re trying to figure out how almost everyone could be SO wrong about Nebraska football in 2019, stop blaming the national media who picked NU for the Top 25. Stop blaming the Big Ten media who picked NU to win the West. Stop blaming the local media who gave you 19 stories to read every day in the offseason, almost all of them optimistic. Stop blaming Husker Kool-Aid drinkers who fall into the same trap every offseason, thinking that only their team lifted weights and recruited playmakers.

You know why everyone thought Nebraska had turned the corner in 2019? Because Frost said so!

I’m not rubbing his nose in it. I’m merely pointing out that outsiders got Nebraska wrong because the insiders got Nebraska wrong.

Frost, as it turned out, dramatically overstated his team’s prospects. He’s the homebuilder who promised he’d be painting your walls in six months and it turns out he’s still framing.

Husker fans can still be happy with the house someday. Perhaps even by the time they pack for Dublin. But, man, stop telling your friends that we should’ve seen these struggles coming and start recognizing that Frost himself set a high bar for Year 2. And we listened to him because of his past success. He carried immense credibility into this job. He knew what good football looked like and he knew how to rebuild a program.

Does it mean Frost is the wrong man for the job? Of course not. He can still fulfill all the Husker hopes he inspired.

But based on what’s happened this season, it’s fair to question his (and his staff’s) evaluation of the program. This was harder than he thought.

Back in February, Frost relayed a story at a luncheon that his trusted strength coach, Zach Duval, had made this statement about Huskers in the weight room: “Old Nebraska is almost back.”

Back in July, Frost stated that he wouldn’t trade Adrian Martinez for any quarterback in the country.

Some of this stuff is just what coaches say, obviously. Nobody wants a leader who walks around with his head down, muttering, “Gee, I just hope we’re competent, but I don’t know. We’ll have to wait and see.”

This is football, not world diplomacy. It’s OK to puff up your players. It’s OK to beat your chest.

But when you’re wondering why we had such outsized expectations for the Huskers this fall — I predicted 8-4 — remember the source of optimism.

Then ask yourself this question: If the November 2018 Huskers were playing the October 2019 Huskers, who would win? It’s last year’s team by double figures, right?

That wasn’t supposed to happen. Departing senior Jerald Foster said this after last year’s Iowa game: “This is an offense that’s going to be top 10, easily, next season.”

Where’s the player development? Where’s the growth up front? Over and over since joining the Big Ten, Husker coaching staffs have believed they could A) fight to a draw in the trenches and B) expose opponents on the edge. Over and over, we’ve realized that Nebraska wasn’t close in the trenches. And any advantage on the perimeter means nothing without big boys in the middle.

I had no expectations that Nebraska’s O-line would be good in 2019. But there was genuine hope that the defensive front seven would be better equipped to handle the weekly Big Ten grind. Based on Ohio State and Minnesota, the Blackshirts aren’t ready, either.

Frost has time to fix all of this. And even if he goes 0-5 the rest of the way, his fans will find reasons to get fired up for 2020. But this season does raise concerns.

For two years, Frost’s word carried a ton of weight. He knew the path back to national prominence and he knew the timeline. Now there’s a little bit of doubt.

You can tell when a coach — in Year 1, especially — knows his team isn’t any good. You feel for him. But sympathy turns to skepticism when a coach thinks his team is better than it really is. When his results don’t look much different from the coach he replaced and the culture he criticized.

Husker fans can stomach a few setbacks on the road to recovery. They can even endure a wasted season. As long as they can trust that Frost’s words are true.
Good Article. Dirk is right. We are awful right now and I see no improvement from last year. We have regressed. We are terrible in single every phase of the game. Getting pushed about all game from pathetic Minnesota was an embarrassment to Nebraska Football and it is the coaches fault for not being ready to play. I did not think we were going to win but my goodness, I did not think we were going to get stomped on and manhandled by the Golden Gophers from the start of the football game. Scott Frost needs help right now with coaching this football team and calling plays!

I didn't say that Dirk hates the coach, nor did I say that I disagree with what he wrote. Just an observation that the Frost honeymoon appears to be officially over with at least one of the sports writers.
I don't think Dirk has postponed the Honey moon. I think he is plain and simple calling Frost out on over selling his program and calling Scott to task on Scott maybe not having a good handle on the BIG competition.
Someone needed to do it. It's ugly and you can't hide from it.

I wonder if this team looks really good at practice and cracks under the pressure when the lights are on. It was not just Frost talking about the team being better. After the BTN bus tour, all three of the hosts changed their tune about Nebraska and slated them as the favorite to win the division.

I look at it this way, Frost’s comments were entirely coachspeak and were entirely expected. What was he going to say? We are really going to take a step back this year? Of course not. He is trying to make the program look/sound as good as possible. The inane part is that (as usual) Dirk just bobbleheaded along and didn’t do any work to form his own opinion, along with most of the fan base. I think him particularly calling out Frost’s fans as “his” show that Dirk is hoping for a rift and enjoying the fact that he can stir up shit and generate clicks. As the media usually does, he rides the fence and then jumps in to ride the wave of outrage. And the sheeple follow along because they are too lazy to form their own opinion...

Oh boy......superb post sir. Simply excellent.

I don't think Dirk has postponed the Honey moon. I think he is plain and simple calling Frost out on over selling his program and calling Scott to task on Scott maybe not having a good handle on the BIG competition.
Someone needed to do it. It's ugly and you can't hide from it.

Most preseason prognostications are based on the best case scenario.

1. If Mo develops physically as expected and stays healthy
2. If our safeties stay healthy
3. If our wrs develop including Warner, Hunt, and Legrone
4. If our oline develops like you would expect and are healthy.
5. If Mills was a 1000 yard back like at G-tech
6. If Noa matches his production at Cal

Reality
1. Mo has been non-existent
2. We've lost both safeties in multiple games
3. We lost 3 wrs/tes to injury,expulsion...4 with JD
4. Online has been mediocre at best and our best lineman is hobbled.
5. Mills is not a spread back yet...he's only been at it since August
6. Noa is lost in this system, but came from a piss poor offense at Cal...so.....

Teams with any depth can weather this but even Frost admitted that any injuries, suspensions are going to derail our season.

Reactions: TheBeav815
I wonder if this team looks really good at practice and cracks under the pressure when the lights are on. It was not just Frost talking about the team being better. After the BTN bus tour, all three of the hosts changed their tune about Nebraska and slated them as the favorite to win the division.
The problems you see on the field on Saturday start in practice. Maybe with the way practices are run, the players are going through the motions well enough and doing what the coaches want to see. Maybe practices do "look" good. It doesn't mean that they actually are good. I think this staff needs to take a long hard look at their practice structure and consider changes because it's obvious that something is not working.

Reality
6. Noa is lost in this system, but came from a piss poor offense at Cal...so.....

Teams with any depth can weather this but even Frost admitted that any injuries, suspensions are going to derail our season.
On the other hand there were huge questions about a couple of positions coming out of spring and into fall camp. CENTER, Guard, and at least 3 of the linebacker spots. Clearly ALL of those concerns were justified. WE (meaning me too) SHOULD have seen this coming. I never counted on Noa at WR. I doubted Mills would be able to replace Devine and I sure as hell was worried about Hixons and Jurgens. I should have known better than to call this team an 8-9 win team, BUT in theory 8 is still attainable.

Reactions: TheBeav815

Reality

I disagree, there's been times in the past where we regularly had surprise players pop up and play at an all conference level. With good teams around the country, that sort of thing happens all the time. I don't think it's happened here in like 6 or 7 years. With the poor development we've had, our team and players regularly underperform expectations. Teams that have good development programs regularly have guys pop up out of nowhere and play at a high level.

On the other hand there were huge questions about a couple of positions coming out of spring and into fall camp. CENTER, Guard, and at least 3 of the linebacker spots. Clearly ALL of those concerns were justified. WE (meaning me too) SHOULD have seen this coming. I never counted on Noa at WR. I doubted Mills would be able to replace Devine and I sure as hell was worried about Hixons and Jurgens. I should have known better than to call this team an 8-9 win team, BUT in theory 8 is still attainable.
I did not foresee Mills struggling like this. But in fairness to him, Ozigbo sure looked like a bad RB in 2017 behind a piss poor o-line. Dudes throw some proper blocks and golly, your RBs suddenly look like Hall of Famers...

Well said.!!!

Meh...Dirk will find a new program to pick on as Frost builds up the wins in the coming years. If he doesn't get laid off before then...papers are always cutting staff.

I don’t see how that article is a “shot” at all. It was factual and fair, IMO. It’s obvious the team was significantly over rated / over hyped. The writer makes the point that it’s due to what Frost actually said himself about the team. The quotes provided illustrate that.

Meh...Dirk will find a new program to pick on as Frost builds up the wins in the coming years. If he doesn't get laid off before then...papers are always cutting staff.

I remember when Frost was to be building up the wins in year 2.

Those were the good ole days.

As it stands right now, we may be fortunate to make a bowl game in 2021.

I think Frost and company must have pulled the tape of last years game to review.....because today Frost says that the defensive line did not get pushed around and that the offense did not play a poor game...they both just made little mistakes (that is a para-phase of the baloney he spouted today).

This is a perfect example of what this article was talking about. Evidently he just can not bring himself to even remotely be honest about this team.

Reactions: ridge222
To top it off special teams sux again, and we’re missing a kicker. Bad luck right there.

I think Frost and company must have pulled the tape of last years game to review.....because today Frost says that the defensive line did not get pushed around and that the offense did not play a poor game...they both just made little mistakes (that is a para-phase of the baloney he spouted today).

This is a perfect example of what this article was talking about. Evidently he just can not bring himself to even remotely be honest about this team.
your drunk recollection of the game is better than a coach who watched it SIX times. I said right from the get go that our dline held up. Their job was to keep olineman from the 2nd level...our safeties and lbs had issues with gaps but also just with physicality and tackling. My honest impression is they were looking for strips and to force turnovers because they knew it would a long night offensively. We are really thin at safety...that was going to be a concern and we lost our best safety on the first drive of the year. Those 25-30 yard runs should have been 8-10 if our safety play was better and so the missed fills or tackles shouldn't have been such a big deal. The last thing you could do in that weather was give up big running plays.

Wait...are fans mad that the staff thought the team would be good? Or, is the media mad that their job is not super easy because the team isn't good? Or is it both?

I think it is both but I think the media is even more pissed because they actually have to "work" now...it is way easier to write stories about a really good team than it is a team that is struggling...because now the media has to try to explain the "why" which they clearly can't do (usually because they are super dorks that don't really know much about sports).

Media dorks are basically in the sales business...those of you in sales...would you rather have a great product to sell that is flying off the shelf? Or one that you have to make excuses for in the hopes that someone buys it?

I remember when Frost was to be building up the wins in year 2.

Those were the good ole days.

As it stands right now, we may be fortunate to make a bowl game in 2021.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. It's never wrong. Frost underestimated the situation at NU and attacked with all of the confidence and bravado that a guy who's been successful at many levels normally does. I would rather have that than "it looks sort of like football. We might be able to be a good football team this year". We'll get over it.

afraid it’s gonna get ugly in Lincoln before there’s a conference/division title again

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT