ADVERTISEMENT

Did Frost make another blunder saying this was the bottom?

Suhrreal

Defensive Coordinator
Jun 1, 2009
I think one of the things that I have liked the least about the new regime is their insistence on public tough talk. The "running scared" and "adapt to us" comments that are reminiscent of "we take what we want" and other such past hubris from coaches bygone.

At 0-3 and after one of the worst halves in Husker history, it truly is hard to imagine things getting worse. Frost is just getting his feet wet in the Big Ten, and I'm sure seeing the talent disparity on Saturday was an eye-opener. It probably was a very similar feeling to what Mike Riley experienced when they came out and played Ohio State the first time. And that brings me to my point.

Ohio State is still left to play in about a month. We have seen what they did to basically the same team the past few years. We know the mismatches that await on both lines. And we know Urban Meyer is not exactly the type of coach that will relent when the score is 56-0 in the third quarter. Could a legendary evisceration of the Huskers await in late October? A true shellacking that would make the CU 2001 game look like an exhibition game?

What I propose is this:

Strategically placed high explosives in pre-evacuated locations around Lincoln on the day of the game. A minor earthquake will be detected knocking out crucial infrastructure. Game cancelled and we move on to the next opponent with no reschedule. Urban Meyer retreats to the Embassy Suites and throws his Papa John's pizza against the wall in disgust.

Just because a score might be worse doesn't make it more rock-bottom-y. The team played as poorly as possible in all aspects, I think that's what rock-bottom means. Score makes little difference to anyone but Vegas, whether it's 56-10 or 80-0.

What I propose is this:

Strategically placed high explosives in pre-evacuated locations around Lincoln on the day of the game. A minor earthquake will be detected knocking out crucial infrastructure. Game cancelled and we move on to the next opponent with no reschedule. Urban Meyer retreats to the Embassy Suites and throws his Papa John's pizza against the wall in disgust.
The game is in Columbus this year.

Hey everybody, I think we need to just except the fact that Scott Frost is not the coach we thought he was. He may have won every game last year, but that means nothing. He actually sucks. He just got lucky last year. 13 times. I mean, just listen to the things that he says… He’s wrong every time. Just got to face the facts. I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t win a game in his career here.

Now for my serious post... before this weekend the team still thought they were good, having lost 2 games they should have won. Just cut out the mistakes and they will be fine. This weekend was such a beat down that the team can’t even pretend to be a good team. It’s pretty eye-opening. They are shell-shocked about this revelation.

As HuskersNC said, the score matters little. A blowout is a blowout. The team won’t feel any worse when they lose to Ohio state.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Hey everybody, I think we need to just except the fact that Scott Frost is not the coach we thought he was. He may have won every game last year, but that means nothing. He actually sucks. He just got lucky last year. 13 times. I mean, just listen to the things that he says… He’s wrong every time. Just got to face the facts. I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t win a game in his career here.
Yeah. This. He had his shot to turn us around. He failed. Time for a coaching change.

Probably should have hired trev as ad and he could shut down the football program that would solve a lot of problems, let go for it

Reactions: timnsun

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I'm very disappointed in his team not being prepared to play the games. They are mistake prone, and the constant penalties have continued.

The OLine was in no way prepared for what they saw from Michigan's front 7, and the same could be said about our front 7 vs the Michigan OLine. I know they have only been on the job for 9 months, but I don't see what I would consider 9 months of progress. I'm still onboard, but am pretty surprised and disappointed by what I've seen so far.

Reactions: oldjar07
I think him coming out and saying this was the bottom, set himself up in a potentially bad way, because it can get worse. When you have trust issues on the team, you don't want to set yourself up to be proven wrong, because at some point, people are going to start questioning that. So while by itself, the comment isn't that big of a deal, but you start adding all the other little things up, and it starts to make an impact. Remember there was about 9 months of hype leading up to all this, which doesn't make it any easier to digest, and then add Scott's stubbornness (which is also very much a strength) and you have potential for some rough sledding.

Now for my serious post... before this weekend the team still thought they were good, having lost 2 games they should have won. Just cut out the mistakes and they will be fine. This weekend was such a beat down that the team can’t even pretend to be a good team. It’s pretty eye-opening. They are shell-shocked about this revelation.

As HuskersNC said, the score matters little. A blowout is a blowout. The team won’t feel any worse when they lose to Ohio state.
Good teams don't lose to Troy, no matter how many mistakes they make. It was obvious this wasn't a good team after Colorado, but Troy hit you over the head with that fact. After Colorado, there should have been a sense of urgency to get better in every facet of the game, but it appears the opposite happened.

I think one of the things that I have liked the least about the new regime is their insistence on public tough talk. The "running scared" and "adapt to us" comments that are reminiscent of "we take what we want" and other such past hubris from coaches bygone.
I could be wrong, but I don't think Frost spoke like this when he came to UCF. In my opinion the reason he is doing it here is for the team. This team had/has zero confidence they can win, zero confidence in themselves. I believe that was a direct result of the last coaching staff. He wants to show these guys he has confidence in them and what they can do. Does he believe everything at this moment probably not. He just wants his players to believe it.

Good teams don't lose to Troy, no matter how many mistakes they make. It was obvious this wasn't a good team after Colorado, but Troy hit you over the head with that fact. After Colorado, there should have been a sense of urgency to get better in every facet of the game, but it appears the opposite happened.

Our biggest issue in my opinion is all in the kids heads. Until we overcome that, it is going to make it look like coaching is bad, kids are quitting, etc. At some point the kids just need to get their head on straight and get this thing rolling.

Last edited:
Everything is black-and-white with you. There’s no middle ground. Doesn’t matter that this is a team with a brand new coaching staff on both sides of the ball. Doesn’t matter that they went for an eight last year and are trying to find their identity. The reality is, these kids believed that they were better than what they showed. Now, they know that to be false. Before Saturday, I’m not sure they knew this.

At this stage it is appear this team has went into Riley Mode. Until these players are gone, this type play and team isn't going to change. There is a reason Frost wanted and was given a 7 year contract. This isn't going to be an easy or quick fix. Of all the new coaches hired. Frost had the most mentally damaged team I believe. The biggest challenge.

Last edited:
FWIW, we play a part in the culture. This board is probably fairly reflective of the fan base as a whole. Fans, AD, former players, local media and Coaches too frequently levy disparaging sentiment towards opponents, and rarely gives respect to opponents that are perceived to be 'beneath' us.

IMO any trash talking is out of place from the coach, to players, to long time fans, and Moos and Eichhorst. Put the head down and go to work, respect that opponents also have resources, good coaches, and every 'right' to win as much Nebraska does.

Without humility and respect, the road to recovery is harder....and, again, I believe we fans help perpetuate things

Last edited:
Yeah. This. He had his shot to turn us around. He failed. Time for a coaching change.

TRUTH!!!!!

j1KFkMN.gif

FWIW, we play a part in the culture. This board is probably fairly reflective of the fan base as a whole. Fans, AD, former players, Coach too frequently levy disparaging towards opponents, rarely gives respect to opponents that are perceived to be 'beneath' us.

IMO any trash talking is out of place from teh coach, to players, to long time fans, and Moos and Eighorst. Put the head down and go to work, respect that opponents also have resources, good coaches, and ever 'right' to win as Nebraska does.

Without humility and respect, the road to recovery is harder....and, again, I believe we fans help perpetuate things

So much truth to this. We are no longer the program that dominated everyone. We are not entitled to beat teams like Iowa and Minnesota, just because Husker teams always have. 20 years of bad decisions have put us here and now we have to go through the hard work of rebuilding, to get back there. The sooner we all accept that this is where we are now and embrace the hard work of rebuilding this great program, the better off we will all be.

Reactions: bshirt73
Why do people get so wrapped up in the comments coaches make? It's just silly. "You said you were confident in your team and then they sucked, how dare you"?!?

This x10000.

Hanging on what the program officials say?

Your eyes tell you all you need to know.

Blocking sucks. No push up front. Turnovers. Penalties.

Wonder if these guys get pissed or start cutting wrists. If it's the latter, then they should leave football.

They won't get better until they are absolutely disgusted with being made someone's...... Tears and self pity won't help in football.

So much truth to this. We are no longer the program that dominated everyone. We are not entitled to beat teams like Iowa and Minnesota, just because Husker teams always have. 20 years of bad decisions have put us here and now we have to go through the hard work of rebuilding, to get back there. The sooner we all accept that this is where we are now and embrace the hard work of rebuilding this great program, the better off we will all be.
The thing that made Nebraska great for so long was not a high level of recruiting, it was not far superior talent, It was a system and confidence. Talk to almost any player during that time frame. They will all say, they believe deep down they were going to win before even setting foot on the filed. It was a mentality, that mentality extended to the fans,to the staff, to the coaches to everyone in the state and maybe even the country. Teams feared us, teams knew playing in Lincoln was as close to an automatic loss as it gets. They knew the fans would be respectful but relentless at home.
So yes we are nowhere near where we should be and yes there are many teams far better than us. It still starts with that mentality that we are better than you, nobody can beat us. The players have lacked that for many many years. The coaches are trying to get that back. Us fans have held onto it for whatever reason for the last 15 years. Now is not the time to let it go. "We can't be beat we won't be beat"

The thing that made Nebraska great for so long was not a high level of recruiting, it was not far superior talent, It was a system and confidence. Talk to almost any player during that time frame. They will all say, they believe deep down they were going to win before even setting foot on the filed. It was a mentality, that mentality extended to the fans,to the staff, to the coaches to everyone in the state and maybe even the country. Teams feared us, teams knew playing in Lincoln was as close to an automatic loss as it gets. They knew the fans would be respectful but relentless at home.
So yes we are nowhere near where we should be and yes there are many teams far better than us. It still starts with that mentality that we are better than you, nobody can beat us. The players have lacked that for many many years. The coaches are trying to get that back. Us fans have held onto it for whatever reason for the last 15 years. Now is not the time to let it go. "We can't be beat we won't be beat"

With all do respect, I completely disagree with that sentiment. Living in denial doesn’t help anything. I’m not talking about letting go of the expectation of bringing back Championship football, but we can’t expect to just show up with the N on our helmets and beat people. Husker teams of the 70-90’s were in that position because the program had been built to that standard, by putting in the work and doing things the right way for a long time. They worked their tails off and deserved to win. They also had continuity of staff, a clear blueprint, good recruiting, great player development and S&C. We haven’t had any of those things here in far too long. Husker football today is a shell of what it was under TO and everyone associated with the program is going to have to work their tails off to get back there. As a fan base, we have to understand that we have to rebuild this thing. We are going to have to work twice as hard as everyone else and be cutting edge. We can’t just stick our nose in the air and say we should beat people, just because. Teams like Iowa, NW and MSU don’t have the tradition, facilities, fan support, etc we do, but they have been doing a lot of important things better than we have for a long time. So instead of losing our shit when we lose to them, we need to understand that we need to actually deserve to beat them, by earning it first.

Reactions: cecilB
S We are not entitled to beat teams like Iowa and Minnesota

We aren't entitled to beat those two, or any other team in America. There is no birth right, rightful place. Purdue is going to smack us this week if the Huskers go in thinking they deserve to win.

I like CF, still think he was the absolute no-brainer choice despite only 2 years of mid-major experience as a head coach, and he can say what he wants. I personally prefer the approach of say a Ferentz, or Chryst, (and others) that always pay homage and are respectful to opponents public comments.

Little jabs like 'its a winnable game next week' just aren't constructive when said publicly. I mean, aren't they all winnable? Why put a bigger chip on someone's shoulder?

Nebraska needs this one bad

We aren't entitled to beat those two, or any other team in America. There is no birth right, rightful place. Purdue is going to smack us this week if the Huskers go in thinking they deserve to win.

I like CF, still think he was the absolute no-brainer choice despite only 2 years of mid-major experience as a head coach, and he can say what he wants. I personally prefer the approach of say a Ferentz, or Chryst, (and others) that always pay homage and are respectful to opponents public comments.

Little jabs like 'its a winnable game next week' just aren't constructive when said publicly. I mean, aren't they all winnable? Why put a bigger chip on someone's shoulder?

Nebraska needs this one bad

I was listening to the PC and he definitely did not say it as a “jab”. Just saying things will get better and we have a chance to win next week.

I was listening to the PC and he definitely did not say it as a “jab”. Just saying things will get better and we have a chance to win next week.
good. Context is important. I did not listen, but read it.

Despite the current state, belief that every game is winnable is important. If that's not the belief of every player and coach, every week, oh boy. Now, it's up to him to put them in them best position to do so. And it's a fine between building a roster/scheme for what you envision and surviving the day with what you have.

He's going to be earning his paycheck more now, than if and when, he turns it around.

Reactions: headcard
Yes, it was a blunder. Ohio State is still gonna have its say and that will be a much more explosive offense than Michigan's. OSU will be able to name their score as they have been every year. So that's going to take those words and cram them right back down his throat.

HOWEVER I see what he's doing. He's trying to will that into existence by speaking it publicly. He's trying to get those kids to believe in themselves and their coaches so I know why he doesn't want to come out and go, "You guys think that was bad? Wait til the Buckeyes are done with us!" If the kids have that much quit in them already you can't feed them excuses to half-ass it.

It's brutal man. It really makes you wonder if we're the new Minnesota and the good old days are never coming back.

Yes, it was a blunder. Ohio State is still gonna have its say and that will be a much more explosive offense than Michigan's. OSU will be able to name their score as they have been every year. So that's going to take those words and cram them right back down his throat.

HOWEVER I see what he's doing. He's trying to will that into existence by speaking it publicly. He's trying to get those kids to believe in themselves and their coaches so I know why he doesn't want to come out and go, "You guys think that was bad? Wait til the Buckeyes are done with us!" If the kids have that much quit in them already you can't feed them excuses to half-ass it.

It's brutal man. It really makes you wonder if we're the new Minnesota and the good old days are never coming back.

Well, until we brought in HCSF, we were in the bottom of the bucket in every way. Who can deny the horrible results of Smiling Mike? Especially his 3rd year.....God help us.

You're so right, it's brutal as hell. My ego, your ego, the players ego, etc......it's just a rough damn business. We were on the Minnesota transition full-tilt boogie & full steam ahead.

NU finally realized this and fired a worthless SE. Then somehow got a superb HC. I too thought we would bounce back like a rubber ball almost instantly. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

But at least we have the all important "hope" again. I'm sure we both see OLine problems that simply cannot be fixed easily or quickly. Lots of other problems too. We'll need LOTS of beer for awhile Beav815. Hang in there partner......we can do it!

At 0-3 and after one of the worst halves in Husker history, it truly is hard to imagine things getting worse. Frost is just getting his feet wet in the Big Ten, and I'm sure seeing the talent disparity on Saturday was an eye-opener. It probably was a very similar feeling to what Mike Riley experienced when they came out and played Ohio State the first time. And that brings me to my point.

Ohio State is still left to play in about a month. We have seen what they did to basically the same team the past few years. We know the mismatches that await on both lines. And we know Urban Meyer is not exactly the type of coach that will relent when the score is 56-0 in the third quarter. Could a legendary evisceration of the Huskers await in late October? A true shellacking that would make the CU 2001 game look like an exhibition game?

What I propose is this:

Unfortunately coaches, fans, players, everyone has been saying this is bottom for the last 15 years. As we have found out there is always a lower bottom. I would bet at the end of last season,if ask, is Nebraska football at bottom? Most would have said yes. The truth is we don't know what bottom is. The Michigan game very will could have been it.

With all do respect, I completely disagree with that sentiment. Living in denial doesn’t help anything. I’m not talking about letting go of the expectation of bringing back Championship football, but we can’t expect to just show up with the N on our helmets and beat people. Husker teams of the 70-90’s were in that position because the program had been built to that standard, by putting in the work and doing things the right way for a long time. They worked their tails off and deserved to win. They also had continuity of staff, a clear blueprint, good recruiting, great player development and S&C. We haven’t had any of those things here in far too long. Husker football today is a shell of what it was under TO and everyone associated with the program is going to have to work their tails off to get back there. As a fan base, we have to understand that we have to rebuild this thing. We are going to have to work twice as hard as everyone else and be cutting edge. We can’t just stick our nose in the air and say we should beat people, just because. Teams like Iowa, NW and MSU don’t have the tradition, facilities, fan support, etc we do, but they have been doing a lot of important things better than we have for a long time. So instead of losing our shit when we lose to them, we need to understand that we need to actually deserve to beat them, by earning it first.

When you were writing about 70-90s teams, you forgot an offense that could rely on roadgrader offensive linemen, and walk on WRs. Those are two things that Scott Frost can't reproduce without a change of philosophy. IMHO

good. Context is important. I did not listen, but read it.

Despite the current state, belief that every game is winnable is important. If that's not the belief of every player and coach, every week, oh boy. Now, it's up to him to put them in them best position to do so. And it's a fine between building a roster/scheme for what you envision and surviving the day with what you have.

He's going to be earning his paycheck more now, than if and when, he turns it around.

Reactions: timnsun and cecilB
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT