ADVERTISEMENT

This board concerns me (OT)

Charlie Marlow

Athletic Director
Sep 23, 2005
In Your Head
Off season so quick comment on an OT matter. I believe most of those that read this board at a minimum reside in America and frankly most were born here. We are Husker fans clearly by our frequenting of this page. What I want to ask is whether anyone here observes a decline in our posters or perhaps could they be accelerating? My brother is a professor and says that most posters these days are matter of factly dumb. But was this always the case? Ultimately I think there is a Trumane Bell curve to consider. Some kids are going to be at the bottom and some at the top 10% whereas 80% might be what my brother classified as matter of factly dumb. It’s a pickle of a question but what say you?

Are posters today smarter than posters of yesteryear? Or is our posters matter of factly declining in intelligence?

Off season so quick comment on an OT matter. I believe most of those that read this board at a minimum reside in America and frankly most were born here. We are Husker fans clearly by our frequenting of this page. What I want to ask is whether anyone here observes a decline in our posters or perhaps could they be accelerating? My brother is a professor and says that most posters these days are matter of factly dumb. But was this always the case? Ultimately I think there is a Trumane Bell curve to consider. Some kids are going to be at the bottom and some at the top 10% whereas 80% might be what my brother classified as matter of factly dumb. It’s a pickle of a question but what say you?

Are posters today smarter than posters of yesteryear? Or is our posters matter of factly declining in intelligence?
I’m a poster that’s declining in intelligence.

I see what you did there 😏 😉 👏 👀 😎

I think I've lost a few brain cells. By choice and otherwise 👌

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
I think I’m pretty intelligent…. But then again according to the Dunning-Kruger effect, the stupid usually think they are smart, so maybe I’m just just a borderline imbecile. Or, since stupid people are incredibly tough to deal with on a day to day basis…. Maybe just maybe
37bz2n.png

Yet another parody thread, Charles? Never saw that one coming.

Yet another parody thread, Charles? Never saw that one coming.
Not a parody. I think the recent drop in quality has to do with the open board shutdown. Certain people, myself included, just need to vomit on others at least once a day to feel alive. This might be complaining about some college kids trying to reach their dreams of NFL, or some coaches who have found the cup of life via a 5+ million dollar contract to do a meaningless job, or to celebrate some female pedophiles while demonizing male ones or just to complain about an ex-wife who banged their marriage therapist. The easiest avenue for this is to complain about universally hated politicians. Sadly that avenue is obstructed currently.

full_2022_lux-world-cup-6_3137_P01_P5.jpg

I'm surprising my wife for her birthday with this new bike she has no idea is on the way for her.....am I dumb(er than normal) for doing this? We'll find out on Thursday between 1:30 and 3:30PM....and I never once complained about my "ex-wife who banged their marriage therapist." I lol'd. Big difference....though I admit I am sooooo guilty for celebrating hawt female teachers making teenage boy's dreams come true. The ignore feature is your friend if I irritate you to much. Everyone wins.

Your brother sounds like a very humble and nonjudgmental fellow.

I can feels smart pants on here becaz the polifearashun of ioway trolz mix me inteligunts.

I think people (old or young) are more bias to an opinion today and less likely to look at things with an open mind or play devils advocate. So that hurts communication in general

I think media plays a big part in this because regardless of what your viewpoint is, there’s a media outlet that tells you “you’re right” and people don’t get to see both sides anymore when all we had was just a few media outlets

So instead of having a good discussion on different viewpoints, we ignore other peoples opinions because we feel like we have enough support to tell us we are right. People use to come to this board to learn and now they come here to be know it alls that only want to see their side

Going into the Davis vs Pistole Pete thread, no one willing to look at the other side and play pros and cons. They just want the thread to be a circle jerk. And too many posts are that now of days. Different viewpoints are no longer along on message boards.

I know Pete was a better basketball for his time then Davis is. But I don’t discredit what this young man has done and I don’t ignore some of the challenges todays game brings vs 50 - 60 years ago or vice versa… it’s worth a debate not just some circle jerk. What’s the point of posting if we just want all views to be the same?

Last edited:
I think media plays a big part in this because regardless of what your viewpoint is, there’s a media outlet that tells you “you’re right” and people don’t get to see both sides anymore when all we had was just a few media outlets
Back in the day of gathering for coffee at the general store or discussing stuff around the water cooler at work, people would hear opinions different than their own and while disagreeing, they at least had to be civil because it was face-to-face. Maybe, just maybe somebody would make a good point even though you didn't agree with it, but after thinking about it you might change your mind.

But like you say, now you find a website with people who groupthink like you do and tell everybody else to piss off without even considering their POV.

Back in the day of gathering for coffee at the general store or discussing stuff around the water cooler at work, people would hear opinions different than their own and while disagreeing, they at least had to be civil because it was face-to-face. Maybe, just maybe somebody would make a good point even though you didn't agree with it, but after thinking about it you might change your mind.

But like you say, now you find a website with people who groupthink like you do and tell everybody else to piss off without even considering their POV.
You're right. People tended to be a little more civil. I knew an old hippy back in the day with who I had disagreements all time. Never changed our friendship. And it led to some healthy, positive exchanges of ideas. Since 911 and the rise of FOX, which at the time invented fake news to run cover for GW and the Gov, its been mob rule. And then we got into social justice mob rule and its promotion through the rest of the media. Since then, I've never seen such vitriol and hatred come from opposite ideas/opinions. Remember, back during 911 if you weren't down with the "war", you were not a country loving patriot and were cancelled, funny how that still exists only in reversal to party line. Tech proliferation and further breakdown of the family hasn't done us any favors either. IN my OPINION, its made it easier for evil to creep its way into our lives.

Reactions: cavalot
full_2022_lux-world-cup-6_3137_P01_P5.jpg

I'm surprising my wife for her birthday with this new bike she has no idea is on the way for her.....am I dumb(er than normal) for doing this? We'll find out on Thursday between 1:30 and 3:30PM....and I never once complained about my "ex-wife who banged their marriage therapist." I lol'd. Big difference....though I admit I am sooooo guilty for celebrating hawt female teachers making teenage boy's dreams come true. The ignore feature is your friend if I irritate you to much. Everyone wins.
Is that the way that marriage therapist remedy’s problems? 🤔😛

I doubt the old timers were smarter. They just tended to focus more on the play on the field. There was lots of discussion about schemes, a player's (or coach's) strengths and weaknesses, situational football, etc.

There was some recruiting talk then, but now the board seems dominated by it. Add the NIL and the portal and the discussion seems more about the business of football not just the game on the field.

Just my 2 cents listening from afar.

P.S. There were about ten characters on this board back in the day who knew the game really well but also brought lots of personality to the board. I miss those discussions.

I would say there's less reliable data these days, when dr. tom was coach you could get more a feel for things cause they were pretty systematic..

these days is seems like hype and kool aid are the only constants..

plus folks probably have more stuff to do then study guys named Martinez running the new wing ding pass offense..

Reactions: Charlie Marlow

I have no idea about a small sample size such as a message board but I did read a study not long ago that indicated the average IQ of the nation was declining over the long haul. Yes, statistically as measured by IQ scores, we are getting "dumber" as a nation as time goes on. That's fact not joke.

• Sad
Reactions: EmormousDouchebag
I doubt the old timers were smarter. They just tended to focus more on the play on the field. There was lots of discussion about schemes, a player's (or coach's) strengths and weaknesses, situational football, etc.
So we are up 11 points in the third Q with major momentum and execute an unsuccessful onside kick. Stuff like that over the years makes me think I'd rather pay a guy $20 to kick me in the nuts than discuss the play on the field.

So we are up 11 points in the third Q with major momentum and execute an unsuccessful onside kick. Stuff like that over the years makes me think I'd rather pay a guy $20 to kick me in the nuts than discuss the play on the field.
Good point!

I have no idea about a small sample size such as a message board but I did read a study not long ago that indicated the average IQ of the nation was declining over the long haul. Yes, statistically as measured by IQ scores, we are getting "dumber" as a nation as time goes on. That's fact not joke.
How many people actually even get their IQ tested though? The percentage of people is very, very small.

OK. I change my mind from my post above. Comments like this make me say the board is dumber.
When Charlie's professor brother says, "most posters these days are matter-of-factly dumb."

How could my blanket statement be construed any different than his brother's?

They were both nothing more than blanket statements.

When Charlie's professor brother says, "most posters these days are matter-of-factly dumb."

They both are blanket statements and both wrong in my book, and I said as much.

However, in your "owning of the libs" you might as well have used the old message board phrase "game over" or "scoreboard." It was meant to shut down conversation, not move it along.

Reactions: cavalot

Easy as 1-2-3, joke is on you!

Stay here longer and you will understand why.

That is all I have other than the oxidation of my brain matter makes me dummer than I was yesterday.

Beer helps.

They both are blanket statements and both wrong in my book, and I said as much.

However, in your "owning of the libs" you might as well have used the old message board phrase "game over" or "scoreboard." It was meant to shut down conversation, not move it along.
And your agreement of paying $ 20.00 to get kicked in the nuts rather than talk about play on the field advances the conversation?

I'll do it for free.

Easy as 1-2-3, joke is on you!

Stay here longer and you will understand why.

That is all I have other than the oxidation of my brain matter makes me dummer than I was yesterday.

Beer helps.
I don't drink any booze.

If you take some iodine it will not allow your pineal gland to calcify and you'll actually get smarter with time, not "dummer."

Reactions: c3o
I don't drink any booze.

If you take some iodine it will not allow your pineal gland to calcify and you'll actually get smarter with time, not "dummer."
Thought the pineal gland controlled growth, but that is from a class 40 years ago.

Main point is same, oxidation of grey matter matters, and is cumulative unfortunately.

10 points awarded for pineal gland reference.

Thought the pineal gland controlled growth, but that is from a class 40 years ago.

Main point is same, oxidation of grey matter matters, and is cumulative unfortunately.

10 points awarded for pineal gland reference.
I'll take the 10 point reference. lol

How much do I get if I mention the myelin fat in the brain and how the introduction of statin drugs is the main cause of Alzheimer's?

Not a parody. I think the recent drop in quality has to do with the open board shutdown. Certain people, myself included, just need to vomit on others at least once a day to feel alive. This might be complaining about some college kids trying to reach their dreams of NFL, or some coaches who have found the cup of life via a 5+ million dollar contract to do a meaningless job, or to celebrate some female pedophiles while demonizing male ones or just to complain about an ex-wife who banged their marriage therapist. The easiest avenue for this is to complain about universally hated politicians. Sadly that avenue is obstructed currently.
The open board might have been the greatest collection of minds this century. A group of like-minded individuals who were so in-tune with the world they had ingenious and identical solutions for every facet of life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT