ADVERTISEMENT

Dead last in the dead period

Which is the best excuse for Nebraska having the worst recruiting class in the Big 10 at the moment?

• 1. It is still early

Votes: 30 13.2%
  • 2. We are being selective

Votes: 16 7.0%
  • 3. We are signing a small class

Votes: 56 24.6%
  • 4. It is better to have low-rated players

Votes: 33 14.5%
  • 5. None of the above

Votes: 93 40.8%

• Total voters
Why would there need to be an excuse? It’s July 1and it doesn’t matter until signing day. I feel like we have done this hand wringing the last several years around this time and then when the dust settles, we have a solid class. There are teams behind us like Miami, Ole Miss, Auburn, Stanford and Arizona State, that always recruit well, should they be freaking out?

To me, it is simply a reflection of the W-L record the past 3 seasons along with how the depth chart looks at the specific position being a distant second.

All athletes have a vision for how they would like their college career to go.. Even if they are wildly inaccurate dreams, those kids are going to make choices based on how they perceive and evaluate the offers and options available to them.

Depending on how the season goes, the perception and evaluation of the program for the current/next cycle can change..

What is the saying? You're only as good as your last at bat.. or What have you done for me lately?

1. coaching staff sees the writing on the wall
2. after gambling on injury-prone 4*s just to be able to point to the "recruiting rankings," the staff has finally figured out that you need actual football players and not athletes with stars next to their names to win games

Hoping it's 2...

Why would there need to be an excuse? It’s July 1and it doesn’t matter until signing day. I feel like we have done this hand wringing the last several years around this time and then when the dust settles, we have a solid class. There are teams behind us like Miami, Ole Miss, Auburn, Stanford and Arizona State, that always recruit well, should they be freaking out?
Yes, they should be freaking out as a matter of fact.

2. after gambling on injury-prone 4*s just to be able to point to the "recruiting rankings," the staff has finally figured out that you need actual football players and not athletes with stars next to their names to win games

I expect a smaller class but what is more important to me is average player ranking comparative to others. What really separates Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, OU from say Wisconsin is all the skill position players (WRs, DBs, RBs) and a couple elite pass rushers. I would much rather have my blue chips coming from skill positions and edge rushers.

Going back to the Super Senior class, NU has been 24, 20, 21, 17 and 19. Attrition yes, but except for Tommy's last year, this team hasn't come close to playing top 25 football. Quite frankly, I am less worried about the final disposition of what will be a small class than I am in having the coaches getting the existing players to play up to their apparent abilities.

I think with NIL and transfers we are going to load up on good players later in the cycle.

Reactions: rags21
No one can deny that recruiting is infusion of blood into the life stream of the program. Not getting or keeping prospects hurts, try to explain it away or make fun of people who question the current results, it is reality. I know that often isn't popular here.

If athletes at all positions were concerned with who is ahead of them they would never go to tOSU, Bama, OU, or Clemson to name a few. It is a good excuse though, just like some others.

Further, if you know you are going to have a smaller class wouldn't you be more selective? It doesn't add up.

Our 2022 recruiting class is dead last entering the dead period in the Big 10 and #53 in the country.
Does it really matter at this point? Frost will be able to survive a subpar recruiting cycle only if he wins this season and there is improvement. And if there is improvement the recruiting should follow.

The only thing that really matters at this point is winning and if he doesn't he should be gone. Hopefully the new AD will see it that way as well.

Not sure it is worth fretting over all of the details at this point.

Whether it will help NU or not, I assume that service rankings for prospects that had little in the way of 2020 summer camp evals and a truncated 2020 season might be a little wonky. And yes, many of the high fliers read and know the perception is that Frost's seat may be warm with the arrival of a new AD.
These kids will not be on the roster until winter of 2022 at earliest. They are not relevant to the success of this team for the next year or two.

Hoping it's 2...
4 more years!

I know it doesn’t mean much of anything til signing day, but still, dead last??? The thing that worries me the most is that if Frost isn’t the guy, and it takes so long for the AD to figure it out that poor recruiting hurts the next coaches chances as well.

If we rank high then we can't develop and if we don't we can't recruit....

OV's just opened back up. Nebraska has no local luxuries like many other schools. I also want kids closer to home who will stay and work hard. Just need a few elite athletes a year, not trying to get 15 of them a year.

Might as well try something different Being top in the West at this point hasn't worked out
I hope every remaining spot goes to a blue chip. But at present, that isn't the main problem. The players that control Frost's fate as NU HC are already on the roster. On paper, both Riley and Frost outcompeted Pelini, but Pelini won 9-10 games/year.

I expect a smaller class but what is more important to me is average player ranking comparative to others. What really separates Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, OU from say Wisconsin is all the skill position players (WRs, DBs, RBs) and a couple elite pass rushers. I would much rather have my blue chips coming from skill positions and edge rushers.
You are going to be disappointed

Reactions: artguy68
I'm disappointed that "warm weather talent will never sign where winter exists" wasn't an option. That's my favorite subset of "you can't get elite kids to go to school in Lincoln."
Yeah, they have the same problem in Columbus, South Bend, State College, etc. Kids just don't want to play where it snows. 😙

Reactions: TheBeav815
Our 2022 recruiting class is dead last entering the dead period in the Big 10 and #53 in the country.
I don’t give a crap what kind of class they bring in, I just want to see these athletes actually developed and improved while hanging out in Lincoln.

I know it doesn’t mean much of anything til signing day, but still, dead last??? The thing that worries me the most is that if Frost isn’t the guy, and it takes so long for the AD to figure it out that poor recruiting hurts the next coaches chances as well.
I think there is some truth to this as well. In fact a lot of guys here blamed the initial start by Frost on Riley's recruiting (even though the same guys thought Riley was killing it at the time) but there was a philosophy change I guess?

I don't like seeing us dead last either, but usually things look up before it's all said and done. Heck even Pelini had some horrible recruiting that turned out okay by the end of the class.

Here's another downer: there is only one top 300 prospect with Nebraska on their top list (Markeith Williams). Other top prospects are iffy. James Monds Jr is 50/50 with Indiana (although the 3 most recent are for IU), and Tyler Martin has nine Crystal Balls for Arizona with none for Nebraska. We are not in Jaden Mangham's top 5 any more.

tenor.gif

Here's another downer: there is only one top 300 prospect with Nebraska on their top list (Markeith Williams). Other top prospects are iffy. James Monds Jr is 50/50 with Indiana (although the 3 most recent are for IU), and Tyler Martin has nine Crystal Balls for Arizona with none for Nebraska. We are not in Jaden Mangham's top 5 any more.

Pretty sure you did all this doom and gloom bullshit last year and we ended up with a Top 20 class, maybe we should revisit this after signing day. Maybe you will get lucky and we will actually have a bad class, for once. But I seriously doubt it.

Last edited:
Pretty sure you did all this doom and gloom bullshit last year and we ended up with a Top 20 class, maybe we should revisit this after signing day. Maybe you will get luck and we will actually have a bad class, for once. But I seriously doubt it.
Was thinking the same thing. Bitch and moan now while it’s fashionable, then nowhere to be seen when the rankings actually matter.

Pretty sure you did all this doom and gloom bullshit last year and we ended up with a Top 20 class, maybe we should revisit this after signing day. Maybe you will get luck and we will actually have a bad class, for once. But I seriously doubt it.
This year is a bit different though. The 2022 class has about 9 spots left available. Of the kids that have been on campus to visit, only a few remain uncommitted and they appear to be headed elsewhere. There is not a current 4 star on the list and by the looks of things, Nebraska is moving on to plans B and C. I am assuming these players aren’t going to have many highly ranked kids among them.

in order to end up with a top 20 class, Nebraska will need to rely on “reevaluation” increases of good number of current and future commitments or getting higher ranked kids to flip from their current school to Nebraska.

Baylor has the #8 class currently in the country. Baylor has 17 3 stars and a 2 star. I’m sure Frost could take a bunch of low 3 stars tomorrow and be top 15.

Doesn’t mean we get there, but recruiting has always been slow under Frost, especially when we haven’t been able to sell our game day experience it’s what I expect.

Far more worried about player retention and on field results than this recruiting class.

Both sides of this argument are meaningless at this point.

- One side says our recruiting sucks. Not surprising because so far Scott Frost has sucked.
- Other side says look at all our top 20 recruiting classes Frost has produced. What do top 20 classes mean under Frost when the product he puts on the field still sucks?

2021 is a huge year for Scott Frost. No more excuses. We will find out how Frost can compete when he has the opportunity to recruit and assemble his own team and system.

Reactions: headcard
Both sides of this argument are meaningless at this point.

- One side says our recruiting sucks. Not surprising because so far Scott Frost has sucked.
- Other side says look at all our top 20 recruiting classes Frost has produced. What do top 20 classes mean under Frost when the product he puts on the field still sucks?

2021 is a huge year for Scott Frost. No more excuses. We will find out how Frost can compete when he has the opportunity to recruit and assemble his own team and system.
By this standard, all arguments are meaningless. No reason for this board.

So year four is the magic one for recruiting and team performance? The prior years don't count?

Reactions: timnsun
It was never going to be a top 25 class or a class loaded with a ton of 4-stars. They didn't get kids on campus for 18 months. When you can;t do that at Nebraska it's going to slow things down and make it tough to get any momentum built up.

I do really like some of the commits though.

The 2023 class is off to a solid start and will be back to more of the normal level of recruiting. We should have up to 4 or 5 in-state kids committed by the time the 2022 class signs in December.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT