ADVERTISEMENT

Dead last in the dead period

Which is the best excuse for Nebraska having the worst recruiting class in the Big 10 at the moment?

• 1. It is still early

Votes: 30 13.2%
  • 2. We are being selective

Votes: 16 7.0%
  • 3. We are signing a small class

Votes: 56 24.6%
  • 4. It is better to have low-rated players

Votes: 33 14.5%
  • 5. None of the above

Votes: 93 40.8%

• Total voters
How is rutgers even doin this
Millions of people concentrated in a small area on the East Coast. Not so many people in a big area of Nebraska Wyoming Kansas and The Dakotas. If anyone ever invents a time machine, I think that will help our recruiting a lot

It is amazing isn't it?
It really is. I am a simple person, bottom line kind of guy. But I think it can be boiled down to answering this basic question: What does Nebraska really have to offer. Remember the audience are 17-20 year old kids whose goal is to play in the NFL.

Have you looked at the guestimates on star rankings for the starters on the 95 title team? Different time of course and different guys, with tons of experience coaching the kids. There were two putative 5 stars on the team, LP and Green.
looks like a guy trying if to prove the theory wrong with a couple of exceptions to the rule.

I believe there have been 3 teams that have played in the CFP that didn’t meet Elliott’s blue chip ratio, the Michigan St and Oklahoma teams he wrote about and the Washington team. None of them won a game in the playoff, 2 were soundly beat.

if winning a title is the goal, you will have to recruit well, especially when the playoff expands. Winning one game,with a less “talented” team, in a 12 team playoff, is one thing, winning 3 is quite another.

looks like a guy trying if to prove the theory wrong with a couple of exceptions to the rule.

I believe there have been 3 teams that have played in the CFP that didn’t meet Elliott’s blue chip ratio, the Michigan St and Oklahoma teams he wrote about and the Washington team. None of them won a game in the playoff, 2 were soundly beat.

if winning a title is the goal, you will have to recruit well, especially when the playoff expands. Winning one game,with a less “talented” team, in a 12 team playoff, is one thing, winning 3 is quite another.
It's clearly an exception to the rule that NU arguably pulled off 3 times in four years. My own theory is there was a boatload of experience on that staff. Osborne landed a few really special skill players on offense. The move to the 4-3 on the D was combined with an intentional focus on speed at all positions. The strength and conditioning program was very advanced for the time. Both units knew what they wanted to do and we able to impose their style of play on nearly every team they played. Maybe one of those three years the team falter in a playoff format, but maybe also NU grabs a couple of titles with the triplets in a playoff format.

Have you looked at the guestimates on star rankings for the starters on the 95 title team? Different time of course and different guys, with tons of experience coaching the kids. There were two putative 5 stars on the team, LP and Green.
So, what you have done is box yourself into a corner with this. His theory of the blue chip ratio is sound and he shows it to be. He also shows the exception of Nebraska and essentially explains it with the brilliance of Osborne and his fellow coaches in developing players.

The bottom line is - you can have it both ways - lots of blue chips AND player development and you can have excellent coaching for player development with blue chips at key positions. At this time on this team and with this coaching staff, what do you see? It should be painfully obvious.

I hope the playoff will help with some parity given more opportunities as a result of proposed expansion

Talent concentration in 4 to 8 teams is not good for the sport

I hope the playoff will help with some parity given more opportunities as a result of proposed expansion

Talent concentration in 4 to 8 teams is not good for the sport
How would that change things? The top kids are going to want to go to the same top schools. The best will want to go to the best.

Pennsy, you worried me with this post! :) Whatever "mildly worried" is, we are at #61 just behind of UConn and Central Michigan. I don't "worry" abut such things I have no control over but the fact we don't even seem to be able to attract in-state talent - THAT would be time to worry, just a little don't you think? And this has been going on for close to two years now - that is worrisome.

And yes, we "seem to be lagging behind" by a significant margin although we sit one spot over our rivals to the east. Oh wait, maybe I can't call them rivals.

I am not a math major but if we have 16 spots and 8 are taken, it would take a lot of highly ranked players to make that up. It also does not look good when we use the words "selective" and "small class" and then follow that with 3* athletes across the board. It would seem that if we are OK with getting quality 3* athletes, this class would normally be full.

And you provide some hope for a "solid season" but there is always that qualifier of "if". It seems that we hear this over and over - IF we get these guys, IF they stay, IF they develop, IF they play together, IF our young guys come along, IF the WR's finally show something, IF the RB room is finally fixed, IF the coaching staff gets things figured out, IF the special teams gets fixed and they go on and on.

I read your post several times and had to come on and give you grief about your choice of words. Take care man, how is the sheep business these days?

What do you mean this has been going on for two years? Last year we had a Top 20 class and signed 6 of the Top 7 in state players.

TruHusker wrote: "I think Nebraska should just give up recruiting. Even with all the NIL, social media, new buildings, etc. it is a waste of time with our small population. I have no clue how we ever managed to win 5 NC's, 3 in the 90's with such a handicap."

I will give you a clue, it was a dirty program and TO had everybody in his corner, including law enforcement. There is no way in the world that anybody could get by with it today.

Reactions: brc2
TruHusker wrote: "I think Nebraska should just give up recruiting. Even with all the NIL, social media, new buildings, etc. it is a waste of time with our small population. I have no clue how we ever managed to win 5 NC's, 3 in the 90's with such a handicap."

I will give you a clue, it was a dirty program and TO had everybody in his corner, including law enforcement. There is no way in the world that anybody could get by with it today.
So you’re over here telling us you have evidence of how crooked Osborne was running a program..

I’ll give you a clue. Your jealous of his success that your team will never touch in our lifetime…

So you’re over here telling us you have evidence of how crooked Osborne was running a program..

I’ll give you a clue. Your jealous of his success that your team will never touch in our lifetime…
dude, Nebraska wrote the book on steroids while TO was head coach. How many times were charges dropped against players during his time as head coach? This idea that we were squeaky clean is really naive.

O'Brien isn't a fit for any offense. He's not a P5 level QB. The only P5 capable QB on the roster was Gebbia. Period. Riley failed. Frost failed in recruiting Luke to play QB. We'll see about Smothers and Haarberg.
*Also, Frost failed on Martinez. Looked his best as a Freshman and then Frost/Verduzco got their hands on him. But, not surprising coming from the guy claiming Luke McCaffrey was the future of the program.

Also….Laughing On Smothers.

dude, Nebraska wrote the book on steroids while TO was head coach. How many times were charges dropped against players during his time as head coach? This idea that we were squeaky clean is really naive.
Not saying they were innocent but what was truly illegal at the time and were they more "guilty" than other top programs. We tend to look myopically at programs and not cumulatively at all others.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Of course there was steroid use among some of it’s players but not everyone on the team used steroids …

quoting Bill Lewis in 1988 article: “ Sure I knew some players that where using steroids, It’s fairly obvious that is a guy is using steroids , once you’ve been around. But I don’t think it was any different from anywhere else.At Nebraska you’re on a training table the year round, I know a lot of schools don’t do that”.He said he Never used steroids “ When I went to Nebraska I was 6-4 225.His senior year he weight 295.

quote by Bill Lewis “ If you have a program that is successful consistently, it’s almost a matter of jealousy, people want to make excuses why they don’t do as well.

” That isn’t the reason why Nebraska is so consistent year in and year out.The reason why Nebraska is so successful is the way they practice they get so many reps in practice “..

*Also, Frost failed on Martinez. Looked his best as a Freshman and then Frost/Verduzco got their hands on him. But, not surprising coming from the guy claiming Luke McCaffrey was the future of the program.

Also….Laughing On Smothers.
To be fair, Adrian had both JD and Morgan as threats to throw to. He also had Devine his freshman year. Frost tried like hell to find some guys who posed a threat to defenses. We all saw what a guy like Washington could do at times. I'm hopeful that we've got a couple of backs and WRs that give us some weapons this year. I was watching one of Riley's games from a few years ago. Goodness he had DPE, Stanley AND JD but had Tanner Lee trying to get them ball behind a porous O line.

The neighborhood in which we currently live is with coastal carolina and wake forest 😢
And back to last in the conference. People said it was too early to worry. Now it is nearly September. Can we start worrying yet?

I'm starting to wonder if Frost is even trying to recruit anymore. There's no visits lined up for anyone not committed to Nebraska. He took a bunch of low rated kids without many other options.

ADVERTISEMENT