ADVERTISEMENT

Dave Aranda article

headcard

Nebraska Legend
Feb 2, 2005
This is a cool look into what kind of person and coach Dave Aranda is. A low-key servant leader. This guy is completely the anti-PJ Fleck, he’s everything right with CFB. I hope we can find a way to get him N.

This is a cool look into what kind of person and coach Dave Aranda is. A low-key servant leader. This guy is completely the anti-PJ Fleck, he’s everything right with CFB. I hope we can find a way to get him N.

While it doesn’t close the door, the article doesn’t give me a ton of confident he would consider us. Feels like a long shot, but I like the man’s record fielding quality defenses.

While it doesn’t close the door, the article doesn’t give me a ton of confident he would consider us. Feels like a long shot, but I like the man’s record fielding quality defenses.

Yeah I don't know why he'd leave Baylor to come to Nebraska. He's already making $6 million/year there and they could match any offer we make. He's not coming here.

Reactions: Huskerfan2112

'I've been to LSU, I've been to the crazy places. I don't fit there. I fit here. They let me do my weird stuff. I can be me and I'm not going anywhere. I like it here.'"

The quote above is worrisome. I’d love to have him though.

I won't disparage a coach that isn't my first choice. Wouldn't mind Aranda here. I would choose Fleck over him. But it's time to bring receipts that aren't from Jerry Kill and anyone in the media running with it about how "self centered" a CFB head coach is.

I won't disparage a coach that isn't my first choice. Wouldn't mind Aranda here. I would choose Fleck over him. But it's time to bring receipts that aren't from Jerry Kill and anyone in the media running with it about how "self centered" a CFB head coach is.
Yeah, I think any coach will fair better than Frost, but I just can't get over my annoyance of Fleck. I do think he does a pretty good job at times, but he is just so fake to me that I just can't buy what he is selling.

I think Aranada would have some concerns. Short track record as a HC, could be bring his OC. But I’m not sure what you are getting at with the Fleck stuff and the “media”, but I’ve made my feeling about that little guy known on other threads and don’t want our obsessed Gopher friends to highjack this thread. I will say I think Aranda’s approach to leading young men is what we need and would work here.

Last edited:

I’ve thought the same. But he is the current Vegas favorite and apparently Sipple said on the radio yesterday there is smoke there.

He doesn't strike me as the kind of person that would leave for more money and I just don't see what else would draw him here.

Very interesting article. He doesn't seem like a good fit for our program in that we demand updates and info in the middle of March around here, and he doesn't sound like he enjoys that bubble.

With that said I think Alberts is going throw out an incredibly high salary at our next coach, which will be cringe-worthy if we don't see an almost immediate return to football competency and relevancy.

My gut tells me he has work to do at Baylor. He has money and isn't motivated by more. This guy marches to the best of a different drum.

Reactions: bomber89
Only thing besides money would be intriguing about being Nebraska head coach is playing in the B1G.

How much he is impressed with our new facility’s might help a little too..How resurrecting a blue blood program back to the top would be another motivator…

Reactions: BleedRed78
The ONLY thing a coach has to worry about at Nebraska is recruiting (and it's a big one). We are in the middle of nowhere. Have to travel and spend lots of time/money on getting kids here.

If they feel they can get enough talent & development then they would have a great opportunity. Fanbase, money, facilities, B10 conference, and a team that def could be a notch above all other B10 west opponents besides USC if they join.

Reactions: HominidHusker
The ONLY thing a coach has to worry about at Nebraska is recruiting (and it's a big one). We are in the middle of nowhere. Have to travel and spend lots of time/money on getting kids here.
And yet Frost was able to sign pretty good classes with his reported lack of recruiting and pathetic W-L records. This issue just might be overblown a bit.

And yet Frost was able to sign pretty good classes with his reported lack of recruiting and pathetic W-L records. This issue just might be overblown a bit.
Go listen to other coaches that talk about DRIVING to see most of their class. Frost did well but again it takes more time and money than other big schools. I think he averaged like 23rd class in his time here....what about ever getting a top 10 class again? Happened once ever so I wouldn't say overblown.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Bingo. EXACTLY why he would leave.
MAYBE....or the B12 could actually be a better spot in regards to making the future 12 team playoff. If they are still in tact they are getting an auto bid just like the B10 with much less competition.

Reactions: WHCSC
Go listen to other coaches that talk about DRIVING to see most of their class. Frost did well but again it takes more time and money than other big schools. I think he averaged like 23rd class in his time here....what about ever getting a top 10 class again? Happened once ever so I wouldn't say overblown.
I think the point is that SF with no on field success and very little effort out together good classes. I think avg 15 ranked classes and get a few difference makers in the portal should be our goal. Maybe a little higher if Texas recruiting opens up again.

The biggest game pj fleck ever coached resulted in an embarrassing lopsided L to minn’s biggest rival at home (2019 vs wisc)

it’s the reason Minn has never played for a conf title

he is also bald. has a bald coach ever won a national title?

Reactions: Truewooper
Win 9 games a year at Baylor and collect 6 million per for the rest of your coaching days

win 9 games a year at NU and be ridiculed for not having won a thing and eventually run off (win 11 and a conf championship receive a golf clap with a reminder that more is expected)

I think the above dynamic plays a larger role than people think in the minds of current power 5 head coaches

Win 9 games a year at Baylor and collect 6 million per for the rest of your coaching days

win 9 games a year at NU and be ridiculed for not having won a thing and eventually run off (win 11 and a conf championship receive a golf clap with a reminder that more is expected)

I think the above dynamic plays a larger role than people think in the minds of current power 5 head coaches
They’re all cowards?

I think there is a lot of truth to this.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that 6 million is the same as 10 million.

But a guy like Campbell basically knows that even 3 seasons in a row of 5 wins...doesn't get him fired...and 3 seasons in a row of bowl games...makes him more money.

There are probably about 20-25 P5 jobs with expectations, real ones.

The rest are basically just "Try to make a bowl game and/or don't be super horrible".

They’re all cowards?
Pretty much, they all brag about how many hours they put in and the workload and blah blah blah...They all brag about wanting to win it all and that is their main goal...but for a lot of them it is lip service once they get that first "real" gig.

Jump ship from a dying conference

The conference won't die now that the playoffs are being expanded. Top 6 conference champs get an automatic bid. It will be much easier to make the playoffs in the Big 12 than the the Big Ten.

Yeah, I think any coach will fair better than Frost, but I just can't get over my annoyance of Fleck. I do think he does a pretty good job at times, but he is just so fake to me that I just can't buy what he is selling.
Fleck isn't coming here. He can't have at Nebraska what he can Minnesota.

Reactions: leodisflowers
aranda would do fine at nebraska..a coach with his head screwed on straight would go far..plus lincoln is alot more like baylor then new orleans....

the only difference aranda would have to weight is texas recruits vs the stability the big 10 brings...

I couldn't care less about the personality of the coach unless he's a complete a-hole that recruits, players, and coaches respond poorly to and leads to problems down the line. Coaches like Saban yell and have high standards but they are pushing their players to achieve and aren't a-holes personally.
I have no issue with Fleck. I think he'd be the best coach we've had since Osborne. Bottom line is we need to start winning and stop being obsessed with peripheral BS like the 'Nebraska Way'. I think the same people that are caught up in Aranda or Fleck being weird are the same people that insist on a Nebraska Way hire that will turn out like Frost.

I couldn't care less about the personality of the coach unless he's a complete a-hole that recruits, players, and coaches respond poorly to and leads to problems down the line. Coaches like Saban yell and have high standards but they are pushing their players to achieve and aren't a-holes personally.
I have no issue with Fleck. I think he'd be the best coach we've had since Osborne. Bottom line is we need to start winning and stop being obsessed with peripheral BS like the 'Nebraska Way'. I think the same people that are caught up in Aranda or Fleck being weird are the same people that insist on a Nebraska Way hire that will turn out like Frost.

Agree and disagree. While we haven't had great coaches since TO, Fleck is nowhere near Solich or Pelini and I think he and his nonsense would be a disaster here. But I do agree that all kinds of styles and personalities can win, after all, it still comes down to getting players in position and having players execute on gameday.

Yep, don’t forget there will be rumors about knocking up cheerleaders and drinking on the golf course. Greatest fans in the USA

Nebraska just stuck by a coach through 4 consecutive losing seasons, so I think we can all put the above narrative to bed.

Nebraska just stuck by a coach through 4 consecutive losing seasons, so I think we can all put the above narrative to bed.
You think we are going to name a favorite son who the fan base and boosters will preordain as not capable of doing any wrong as the next head coach

anyone other that Scott Frost would have been run after his 3rd year

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT