ADVERTISEMENT

Dave Aranda article

I couldn't care less about the personality of the coach unless he's a complete a-hole that recruits, players, and coaches respond poorly to and leads to problems down the line. Coaches like Saban yell and have high standards but they are pushing their players to achieve and aren't a-holes personally.
I have no issue with Fleck. I think he'd be the best coach we've had since Osborne. Bottom line is we need to start winning and stop being obsessed with peripheral BS like the 'Nebraska Way'. I think the same people that are caught up in Aranda or Fleck being weird are the same people that insist on a Nebraska Way hire that will turn out like Frost.
Winning would excuse a lot and I agree that there are many ways to do that but the HC needs to at least be likable and that excludes Fleck.

Reactions: headcard
Pretty much, they all brag about how many hours they put in and the workload and blah blah blah...They all brag about wanting to win it all and that is their main goal...but for a lot of them it is lip service once they get that first "real" gig.
Iowa State can win a national championship. They can! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: SuperBigFan
MJ said Dave Aranda's name in today's PC. So there's that.

I have a feeling we have two guys on staff recruiting Dave. I have a feeling both of them believe in him and his work ethic.

If a lot of fans are willing to look past a dirty old man basically fingering a much younger girl in public to be our coach, I think they’d except a berenstain reference

we need a defensive minded coach. Defense is what wins at Nebraska

Last edited:
That means nothing. He's the boss at Baylor and doing just fine.

At most, they give him the lay of the land and hope that he keeps them on.
He no doubt would keep them on staff IF he took the job. That said he might refrain from taking it with the idea that he wants Mickey to get it. Most people underestimate the degree that friendships play in who gets what job.

There’s lots of moving parts to this hire. It’s fun to speculate

He no doubt would keep them on staff IF he took the job. That said he might refrain from taking it with the idea that he wants Mickey to get it. Most people underestimate the degree that friendships play in who gets what job.

There’s lots of moving parts to this hire. It’s fun to speculate
Sure. I think he would be a good choice. I don't think he'll be our coach though.

Agree and disagree. While we haven't had great coaches since TO, Fleck is nowhere near Solich or Pelini and I think he and his nonsense would be a disaster here. But I do agree that all kinds of styles and personalities can win, after all, it still comes down to getting players in position and having players execute on gameday.

Very well stated sir. It's amazing to me how the vast majority here thinks Clownahan was far better at NU than Solich or Pelini. It's really something.

Agree and disagree. While we haven't had great coaches since TO, Fleck is nowhere near Solich or Pelini and I think he and his nonsense would be a disaster here. But I do agree that all kinds of styles and personalities can win, after all, it still comes down to getting players in position and having players execute on gameday.
Solich inherited a program at the apex of college football and after a few seasons of utilizing the Osborne recruits the trajectory of the program was noticeably downhill. The program by 2002/03 was a significant step below Texas, Oklahoma, and KSU in the Big 12. Pelini was solid against lesser talented teams and the first couple years he had Callahan's recruits to work with. I don't think he could have built from scratch very well.
I know a lot of people dislike Fleck as a rival program coach but he has done more from what was considered a second tier Big 10 program and is making it the best in the western division. Honestly another guy I find arrogant is Bielema and he also would have been better than either Solich or Pelini. Both Pelini and Solich were bound to be most successful in non-Power 5 conferences where they don't have the competition for recruits and aren't going up against elite coaches.

Solich inherited a program at the apex of college football and after a few seasons of utilizing the Osborne recruits the trajectory of the program was noticeably downhill. The program by 2002/03 was a significant step below Texas, Oklahoma, and KSU in the Big 12. Pelini was solid against lesser talented teams and the first couple years he had Callahan's recruits to work with. I don't think he could have built from scratch very well.
I know a lot of people dislike Fleck as a rival program coach but he has done more from what was considered a second tier Big 10 program and is making it the best in the western division. Honestly another guy I find arrogant is Bielema and he also would have been better than either Solich or Pelini. Both Pelini and Solich were bound to be most successful in non-Power 5 conferences where they don't have the competition for recruits and aren't going up against elite coaches.

I just can’t agree, especially on Pelini. He took over a program losing and won at a much higher rate than Fleck, who took over a stable winning program. Pelini also won the division 3 times, something Fleck is yet to do. But I am honestly not interested in talking about little PJ anymore other than to say I want no part of his antics and think a guy like Aranda would be much more successful here.

It is utterly amazing that in the last 10 years Baylor has won 11 or more games 4 times and won 3 conf titles (yes I know art briles) something we haven’t done once in over 20 years and counting

and they have accomplished this under 3 different head coaches

It is utterly amazing that in the last 10 years Baylor has won 11 or more games 4 times and won 3 conf titles (yes I know art briles) something we haven’t done once in over 20 years and counting

Not to mention they did that after recovering from yet another serious scandal that occurred under Briles.

Lets not even bring up their basketball program which got hit by major NCAA infractions in the early 2000s and had a player murder another player. Since then, they've been to the Big Dance 10 times, including the sweet 16 twice, elite 8 twice, and won a championship 2 years ago. In the same period, NU hoops remains stuck on zero tournament wins and one appearance.

Baylor athletics sure know how to overcome adversity and hire good coaches.

Last edited:
MAYBE....or the B12 could actually be a better spot in regards to making the future 12 team playoff. If they are still in tact they are getting an auto bid just like the B10 with much less competition.
With the current musical chairs in college football, that may be a gamble. It certainly could stabilize....and the future Big 12 may have a seat at the table, but they could not, also.

Not to mention they did that after recovering from yet another serious scandal that occurred under Briles.

Lets not even bring up their basketball program which got hit by major NCAA infractions in the early 2000s and had a player murder another player. Since then, they've been to the Big Dance 10 times, including the sweet 16 twice, elite 8 twice, and won a championship 2 years ago. In the same period, NU hoops remains stuck on zero tournament wins and one appearance.

Baylor athletics sure know how to overcome adversity and hire good

Baylor athletics sure know how to overcome adversity and hire good coaches.
Their location and booster money helps. It wasn’t too long ago that they were putrid so they’ve kind of been the cool kids in Texas of late

I just can’t agree, especially on Pelini. He took over a program losing and won at a much higher rate than Fleck, who took over a stable winning program. Pelini also won the division 3 times, something Fleck is yet to do. But I am honestly not interested in talking about little PJ anymore other than to say I want no part of his antics and think a guy like Aranda would be much more successful here.
Callahan has a 5-7 record in 2007 and two straight winning years before that. It was his recruits that gave Pelini success early on (Suh, Crick, Amakumara, Ganz, Swift, etc). The defense in 2007 got progressively worse in 2007 after the USC blowout (not exactly a slouch team with all the NFL talent). Callahan was supposed willing to fire Cosgrove but Osborne just wanted to get rid of him and we all know it. I honestly wonder how things might have been with a new DC Suh and Blaine Gabbert among others a verbal commit.
I never was a fan of the Pelini brothers, I think they rode a roster of talent to early success and got some hardnosed players that cared a lot.
I'd be happy with Dave Aranda as HC.

And yet Frost was able to sign pretty good classes with his reported lack of recruiting and pathetic W-L records. This issue just might be overblown a bit.
NIL can remedy a lot of the prior issues, if the losing doesn't dry up that pool and someone comes in and leads to immediate results. (Bowl appearance and upward momentum). Money talks.

Jump ship from a dying conference
Not so fast. OU and Texas leaving means nothing to the Big 12. Sure, they will be a lower level conference but an expanded playoff system keeps the conference relevant.

No program has ever picked three very successful coaches (10+ wins) consecutively and I know Briles was a train wreck off the field.

Compare that with our last four hires. We need some of what they drink

ADVERTISEMENT