ADVERTISEMENT

Culture Fix

Alum-Ni

Administrator
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004
From "ecrouch" on RSS

"People that want to say that Bo shouldn't be mentioned and that we need to turn the page need to understand one thing. Bo instilled a culture at Nebraska. One that runs deep. One that is toxic and anti-Nebraska. To think that a new coach comes in and just totally erases everything the players have learned is wrong. I know players on the team. I can't speak for all the players but the ones I know still have a Bo mentality. The screw the Husker fans mind set. I can hear it when talking to them. Try to tell them or explain to them how they sound and the defensiveness starts. To think that a coach can come in and wipe this clean is crazy. Some of these guys were recruited and courted by the former staff 5-7 years ago and have built a relationship in the player's most impressionable years. I think the play on the field is obviously not good enough and that the coaches have to shoulder much of the blame for that but to think this was an easy fix is wrong. I think it is only fair to give the coaching staff the time needed to find their guys and work the culture back the way it should be. I'm guessing with some of the depth and injury issues this team is facing and the kung fu mind grip that Bo has on some of the players it might take longer than most are ready to wait.

And stop comparing other first year coaches and stuff like that. Every situation is different. Every place has its own problems and issues some which are better or worse than others. Yea, Jim H. is doing good at Michigan. Brady Hoke looked real good at the start too (11-2), who cares. He finished 5-7. EVERY SITUATION IS DIFFERENT."

Thanks for some inside info it really helps the perspective of this situation. Bo is NOT head coach material. Too bad he got as many years as he did.

Reactions: 94husker
Thanks for some inside info it really helps the perspective of this situation. Bo is NOT head coach material. Too bad he got as many years as he did.

If the picture behind the scenes is as big a dumpster fire as it sounds with player attitudes, in all likelihood Riley is going to be given more time than most fans would want to give him at this very moment.

Basically what folks are describing is an insurgency, whether you use force or honey, insurgencies require time to fight.

Oh, please. Some of our fans have to be some of the biggest babies around. It would behoove a few of you to grow a pair and recognize that the job of the player and coach is not to coddle you and tell you how great you are. You also need to learn a little history about an acerbic Bob Devaney. I can only imagine how you would have ripped Bob up one side and down the other when, after losing to Indiana, he had about enough of Husker fans and said, "I know the fans are with me, win or tie." It wasn't a cute little quote...it was a shot at the fans.

I have no problem with saying, "Don't listen to the crazy fans. They will jump on our bandwagon when we win. We have to worry about us."

Some of us need to grow up.

Last edited:
I don't think the player mentality is the only issue. I do not think it isn't helping anything. My guess is if there is as big an issue with player mentality as some say, it is with the Seniors and Juniors. These guys were under Bos influence the longest. Once these guys are out we should start seeing drastic improvement by year 3. If not, it isn't the players or the talent, it is the coach. We shouldn't need 5-7 years to see if this is going to work or not

Oh, please. Our fans have to be some of the biggest babies around. It would behoove a few of you to grow a pair and recognize that the job of the player and coach is not to coddle you and tell you how great you are. You also need to learn a little history about an acerbic Bob Devaney. I can only imagine how you would have ripped Bob up one side and down the other when, after losing to Indiana, he had about enough of Husker fans. He was ticked off when he said, "I know the fans are with me, win or tie." It wasn't a cute little quote...it was a shot at the fans.

Grow up!

yawn_zpsinwcwxwh.gif

Anyways, people also need to remember that Bo took one more shot at the program on his way out with that secret meeting to say goodbye. He wasn't all about NU. No. He was saying, "See! I told ya that they would do that to me (and, by association, the players)." Bo is gone and it's going to take some time to find and remove all the cancer. It wasn't just Bo. Nope. He spread that hatred of all that is NU far and wide. I'm sure we have lots of smaller tumors on this team. We got a few on this board that need to be excised as well.

I don't think the player mentality is the only issue. I do not think it isn't helping anything. My guess is if there is as big an issue with player mentality as some say, it is with the Seniors and Juniors. These guys were under Bos influence the longest. Once these guys are out we should start seeing drastic improvement by year 3. If not, it isn't the players or the talent, it is the coach. We shouldn't need 5-7 years to see if this is going to work or not

No we shouldn't but people are talking firing after Game 5. Year 1 as a fallback position, and no more than year 2 at the latest.

Not that fans in general are the most rational people around, but if a good chunk of the pro-Bo stuff doesn't exit stage right in December from the locker room, we could be looking at another year of miscontent from the team.

yawn_zpsinwcwxwh.gif

Anyways, people also need to remember that Bo took one more shot at the program on his way out with that secret meeting to say goodbye. He wasn't all about NU. No. He was saying, "See! I told ya that they would do that to me (and, by association, the players)." Bo is gone and it's going to take some time to find and remove all the cancer. It wasn't just Bo. Nope. He spread that hatred of all that is NU far and wide. I'm sure we have lots of smaller tumors on this team. We got a few on this board that need to be excised as well.
The fact that people here let Bo get to them almost from beyond the grave says more about them then it does about Bo. He's gone.

Reactions: nufaninouland
No we shouldn't but people are talking firing after Game 5. Year 1 as a fallback position, and no more than year 2 at the latest.

Not that fans in general are the most rational people around, but if a good chunk of the pro-Bo stuff doesn't exit stage right in December from the locker room, we could be looking at another year of miscontent from the team.
Not sure how this scholarship stuff works, but if we had guys to fill spots, could Riley kick players off the team that had this negative mentality? Keep the guys that want to be there. Basically clean house sooner than later,waiting for them to graduate.

Not sure how this scholarship stuff works, but if we had guys to fill spots, could Riley kick players off the team that had this negative mentality? Keep the guys that want to be there. Basically clean house sooner than later,waiting for them to graduate.

If this was a pro team, no issue. Probably near impossible to do this in college, in the B1G of all conferences.

Depends on the distribution of malcontent. Another thread said it even hit at some sophomores. It might be a tough row.

Oh, please. Some of our fans have to be some of the biggest babies around. It would behoove a few of you to grow a pair and recognize that the job of the player and coach is not to coddle you and tell you how great you are. You also need to learn a little history about an acerbic Bob Devaney. I can only imagine how you would have ripped Bob up one side and down the other when, after losing to Indiana, he had about enough of Husker fans and said, "I know the fans are with me, win or tie." It wasn't a cute little quote...it was a shot at the fans.

I have no problem with saying, "Don't listen to the crazy fans. They will jump on our bandwagon when we win. We have to worry about us."

Some of us need to grow up.
Who said anything about coddling?!? That was COMPLETELY out of left field.

@ecrouch is a well known, and respected, RSS poster with access to players and practices.

@Tulsa Tom is a poster on the free board.

Hmmmm, tough decision...
I don't know who he is but I do know that if he gets upset at a few players who have a screw the fans mentality he would have hated Bob Devaney. I would have loved for him to tell Bob how he sounded when going off on the fans. Being a fly on the wall in that situation would be fun!

I was a collegiate athlete with a large, rabid, fan base under a legendary coach (not football and not at NU).

Never once do I remember anyone associated with the program say anything disparaging against the fans, the administration, or the media. Just the opposite, in fact, as coach ended every pre-game talk with a reminder of who we play for and who we represent. That list included God, your family, your teammates, your coaches, those you go to class with, the university, the entire state, and the fans. Every game we were reminded that we were part of something much bigger than the locker room, and that hundreds of thousands (dare I say millions?) of people were on our side. When we succeeded, we succeeded for (and because of) everyone. When we failed, we let them down, and it was crushing. Because of that atmosphere, I was fortunate to be a small part of a terrific run of success. Interestingly, the atmosphere and attitude came first, not the success.

I truly feel terrible for the Husker players that didn't have that example over the last several years. He literally ruined what should have been the best part of the college experience for these young men.

From "ecrouch" on RSS

"People that want to say that Bo shouldn't be mentioned and that we need to turn the page need to understand one thing. Bo instilled a culture at Nebraska. One that runs deep. One that is toxic and anti-Nebraska. To think that a new coach comes in and just totally erases everything the players have learned is wrong. I know players on the team. I can't speak for all the players but the ones I know still have a Bo mentality. The screw the Husker fans mind set. I can hear it when talking to them. Try to tell them or explain to them how they sound and the defensiveness starts. To think that a coach can come in and wipe this clean is crazy. Some of these guys were recruited and courted by the former staff 5-7 years ago and have built a relationship in the player's most impressionable years. I think the play on the field is obviously not good enough and that the coaches have to shoulder much of the blame for that but to think this was an easy fix is wrong. I think it is only fair to give the coaching staff the time needed to find their guys and work the culture back the way it should be. I'm guessing with some of the depth and injury issues this team is facing and the kung fu mind grip that Bo has on some of the players it might take longer than most are ready to wait.

And stop comparing other first year coaches and stuff like that. Every situation is different. Every place has its own problems and issues some which are better or worse than others. Yea, Jim H. is doing good at Michigan. Brady Hoke looked real good at the start too (11-2), who cares. He finished 5-7. EVERY SITUATION IS DIFFERENT."
and there is your excuse for the next 4 years..it was Bo's fault. It's not Bo fault for horrible time management or the penalties. Rillley is what he always has been mediocre as a coach and recruiter.

Reactions: GammaxuvirHusker
I don't know who he is but I do know that if he gets upset at a few players who have a screw the fans mentality he would have hated Bob Devaney. I would have loved for him to tell Bob how he sounded when going off on the fans. Being a fly on the wall in that situation would be fun!
How is, "I know the fans are with me, win or tie." going off on fans? Or where there other instances of BD going off on fans? Did players under BD have the "screw the fans" mentality too?

I know players on the team. I can't speak for all the players but the ones I know still have a Bo mentality. The screw the Husker fans mind set. I can hear it when talking to them.

Then you probably shouldn't let those players be captains.

I've been following McElwain at Florida, as he was my first choice here. He's changed the culture already. The way he ripped Kelvin Taylor for the throat-slash, and called out his team for being selfish and entitled, sent a clear message that he was not going to tolerate any of the "old culture" from the last coach. Maybe Riley has tried to do something similar in private, but it sure doesn't seem like the message is getting through.

I was a collegiate athlete with a large, rabid, fan base under a legendary coach (not football and not at NU).

Never once do I remember anyone associated with the program say anything disparaging against the fans, the administration, or the media. Just the opposite, in fact, as coach ended every pre-game talk with a reminder of who we play for and who we represent. That list included God, your family, your teammates, your coaches, those you go to class with, the university, the entire state, and the fans. Every game we were reminded that we were part of something much bigger than the locker room, and that hundreds of thousands (dare I say millions?) of people were on our side. When we succeeded, we succeeded for (and because of) everyone. When we failed, we let them down, and it was crushing. Because of that atmosphere, I was fortunate to be a small part of a terrific run of success. Interestingly, the atmosphere and attitude came first, not the success.

I truly feel terrible for the Husker players that didn't have that example over the last several years. He literally ruined what should have been the best part of the college experience for these young men.

Everything everyone has said in this thread makes sense. And it sucks if the players didn't play for Nebraska-it should be an honor for them to do so. But how does that relate to how players play the game?

Even if this is true:

How does a coach who left his long time home, and his recruits to double his salary convince players they are wrong to play for each other, and should play for the fans when they may not be convinced that MR is coaching for the fans?

How does a coach who loses two games by his own clock management, and game management mistakes, convince the players he knows what he is doing?

How does a coach who blames his starting QB-not his clock management, or offense management, or his communication with his QB-that he has the players backs?

MR is probably a better coach that he looks right now. But loyalty and trust are two way streets.

I've been following McElwain at Florida, as he was my first choice here. He's changed the culture already. The way he ripped Kelvin Taylor for the throat-slash, and called out his team for being selfish and entitled, sent a clear message that he was not going to tolerate any of the "old culture" from the last coach. Maybe Riley has tried to do something similar in private, but it sure doesn't seem like the message is getting through.
He's too big of a meanie for Harvey's taste. Plus, hiring him may result in the football program being successful.

Everything everyone has said in this thread makes sense. And it sucks if the players didn't play for Nebraska-it should be an honor for them to do so. But how does that relate to how players play the game?

Even if this is true:

How does a coach who left his long time home, and his recruits to double his salary convince players they are wrong to play for each other, and should play for the fans when they may not be convinced that MR is coaching for the fans?

How does a coach who loses two games by his own clock management, and game management mistakes, convince the players he knows what he is doing?

How does a coach who blames his starting QB-not his clock management, or offense management, or his communication with his QB-that he has the players backs?

MR is probably a better coach that he looks right now. But loyalty and trust are two way streets.
I think you missed my point. No...I know you missed my point.

That incident on the side line with Taylor is not Mac. Players had a bad week of practice and he was pissed basically the entire game. Screaming at officials, players and the media after the game. He issued an apology to the media a few days later for his actions and admitted that he has a lot to learn also. I had never seen that side of Mac before that game or since.

Florida culture was pretty well cleaned up by Muschamp. The culture he changed the most is giving a broken offense much needed confidence.

I think you missed my point. No...I know you missed my point.

You missed mine too. I don't like the "screw the fans" mentality either. But if MR can't handle some players who liked their old coach, what does that say about his coaching ability?

Isn't this BP stuff just BS-a mere distraction from what we have seen thus far?

If MR is good, he should be able win at least 6 games with this schedule and make it to a bowl. That should not be that hard. Especially given what all of the posters here have said about how easy it is to win 3 more than that.

You missed mine too. I don't like the "screw the fans" mentality either. But if MR can't handle some players who liked their old coach, what does that say about his coaching ability?

Isn't this BP stuff just BS-a mere distraction from what we have seen thus far?

If MR is good, he should be able win at least 6 games with this schedule and make it to a bowl. That should not be that hard. Especially given what all of the posters here have said about how easy it is to win 3 more than that.

I will take it a step further..a below average coach could win 6 games and make a bowl game with this schedule.

The quickest way to change culture is success from the Coach's teaching.

If you come in and show your way is better and the results show on the field or court. The players will buy into your system faster than trying to tell them you got their back.

Reactions: RedSea

If you come in and show your way is better and the results show on the field or court. The players will buy into your system faster than trying to tell them you got their back.

Yes, but if there are struggles, the players have to know you have their back.

And, if we can't beat running teams with this defense....well let's not think about that.

Reactions: jeans15

This is a cart before the horse argument. Some coaches do come in and win right away, which may or may not be system related.

Basically what you are saying is, you teach a bunch of guys, they absorb what you are laying down and buy in say during spring ball, and then they go get results on the field in September, and that earns the coach the ultimate buy in from the team and they just let all connections to the previous staff go. The trick is that first section, earning enough buy in to get results on the field.

You don't just walk out and have results on the field and then convert that to team kudos. Most coaches are going to have to generate buy in without overwhelmingly successful results on the field. At least in most situations. It'll interesting to watch NU's situation for sure.

This is a cart before the horse argument. Some coaches do come in and win right away, which may or may not be system related.

Basically what you are saying is, you teach a bunch of guys, they absorb what you are laying down and buy in say during spring ball, and then they go get results on the field in September, and that earns the coach the ultimate buy in from the team and they just let all connections to the previous staff go. The trick is that first section, earning enough buy in to get results on the field.

You don't just walk out and have results on the field and then convert that to team kudos. Most coaches are going to have to generate buy in without overwhelmingly successful results on the field. At least in most situations. It'll interesting to watch NU's situation for sure.

Not the only way to but I think its most effective. You miss the old coach because of what he taught you and said to you.

However what makes him credible is his ability to make you better and show you. Beating Wisconsin can help in that process. A player has to think the current situation is no worse both mentally and football wise.

I been there and when we started to win or improve we slowly began to buy into what the coach was teaching, which automatically yields a verbal relationship of trust. Not for all, but for the ones that mattered. The talented players.

Last edited:

POTW material, maybe year.

Totally get that from the alex situation and watching tommy's last presser.
sad...

Thank you for the confirmation Alum/E

From "ecrouch" on RSS

I read that on RSS and agree 100%. Anybody who doesn't think that culture and team chemistry isn't a huge factor in a teams success and failures doesn't know a thing about team sports. There are so many factors that play into what has gone on this year that you cant blame just one thing. There have definitely been coaching issues, but to put it on that alone is very short sighted. These coaches have a culture to change and that isn't happening overnight either. Too many people want to deal in absolutes and blame one thing. That's not the case here. Depth issues, coaching, injuries, leadership (coaching and player), chemistry, new system, etc are all key factors. It is just too easy to point out one thing.

From "ecrouch" on RSS

So is it that hard to get the phone number for Dr. Stark? Not addressing an issue just perpetuates the problems but it's great for excuses.

I don't know him personally, when I was on RSS a few years back he was real solid without any fluff. Devaney reference is moot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT