ADVERTISEMENT

Covid Cases & College Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
the covid vaccines that are behind the frontrunners look like they will not need booster shots. right now the best ones might be the last ones. we will see
Perhaps you can answer this. I read two articles that claimed that half the participants in the Moderna vaccine trials had adverse reactions to the vaccine. It didn’t specify how “adverse” the reactions were or what those reactions were like. There is so much fake news out there right now, as dinglefritz correctly notes, that I don’t know what to make of these claims of adverse reactions. Have you read this too? If so, I would be interested in your views.

Right they do it for the M-F 8am-4pm-ish hours, and only working 180 days a year with every made up holiday off and summers too along with no real accountability.

I really hope their "planning hour" and "monitoring study hall" doesn't stress them too much!

And teachers have gotten paid this entire year.

Below is an example of the teacher's year. There is 1 month where they teach 4 weeks. 1 out of 12.

2019-20-School-Calendar-12-17-18-1024x791.jpg
LOL are you the angriest man in america? you are actually mad that some people that make no money only work 9 months for no money? you're angry that people would rather not spend 2 weeks being sick and quarantined? and have all their friends and family quarantined for 2 weeks too? i guess its all about you

They're the boogeyman - people can blame them with no real proof. Everyone had the same hysteria over the lake of the ozarks on mermorial day weekend and there hasn't been one case traced to it. And there was zero social distancing.

I think in Korea they found 1 instance of spread from a bar.
actually there have literally been thousands of verified spreads to bars in this country. in almost every college town you will find information about local hotspots being bars. there have been at least 6 bars traced to 5-10 positives each in just 1 college town alone. now multiply that by 10000

I figured that's what your agenda was with all of your fear mongering. Never let a good crisis go to waste right? Your dem buddy caught on an open mic approves of your message. You should go take a victory lap with Cuomo and pat him on the back. Nevermind that the main reason their cases have declined is that they've reached such a high population immunity.
i think the high population is A reason but the main reason probably is they lock downed harder and longer which means the virus can not spread.
Perhaps you can answer this. I read two articles that claimed that half the participants in the Moderna vaccine trials had adverse reactions to the vaccine. It didn’t specify how “adverse” the reactions were or what those reactions were like. There is so much fake news out there right now, as dinglefritz correctly notes, that I don’t know what to make of these claims of adverse reactions. Have you read this too? If so, I would be interested in your views.
I read the same thing. Without having the details of the study its hard to understand the significance of the side effects. i did read that fever was one of the side effects. I want a vaccine ASAP but i'm a little concerned about Trump wanting it so bad that his people are willing to cut corners to get one to market. As the CEOs of the top vaccine makers say this is something you have to be absolutely confident in its safety. Well how do you do that if you are unleashing it on the world after only studying it for 60 days with the dose you are giving millions of people. i have a feeling the vaccine that is used initially won't be the vaccine that is ultimately used in the long term. which one that is not sure. But Merck came in very late for example and i'm not sure why someone would spend a couple billion to be 7th on the market. they might have made a mistake in doing this but they didn't do it without a lot of information. who knows? hopefully the moderna vaccine is perfect in every way and its available in December. but i've been in pharmaceuticals for 30 years and it almost never goes perfectly

Frankly I think bar owners should get paid by any governmental entity that mandates they shut down. It's an easy fix. The bar owner just submits their and their employees tax returns and the city or state writes a check. The problem is for the wait staff and bar tenders. There's no way they're reporting cash tips.
That would be a good system and if you aren't reporting tips you actually get, you get a heck of lot less...that's the risk you take when you practice tax avoidance.

Reactions: countrybob
i think the high population is A reason but the main reason probably is they lock downed harder and longer which means the virus can not spread.

I read the same thing. Without having the details of the study its hard to understand the significance of the side effects. i did read that fever was one of the side effects. I want a vaccine ASAP but i'm a little concerned about Trump wanting it so bad that his people are willing to cut corners to get one to market. As the CEOs of the top vaccine makers say this is something you have to be absolutely confident in its safety. Well how do you do that if you are unleashing it on the world after only studying it for 60 days with the dose you are giving millions of people. i have a feeling the vaccine that is used initially won't be the vaccine that is ultimately used in the long term. which one that is not sure. But Merck came in very late for example and i'm not sure why someone would spend a couple billion to be 7th on the market. they might have made a mistake in doing this but they didn't do it without a lot of information. who knows? hopefully the moderna vaccine is perfect in every way and its available in December. but i've been in pharmaceuticals for 30 years and it almost never goes perfectly
Thanks. I share the concerns over rushing a vaccine. Hopefully, one of these companies develops a breakthrough.

My buddy and I were in a strip club just last week. My friend had dollars put in his mouth. Gross. I had a private with a girl who had been to NY and had covid awhile ago. No masks. No social distancing. Tons of people. Guess what. We're both fine.
The virus still isn't that prevalent...so although you are fine, it's probably not because your actions were safe, it is probably because nobody that you interacted with had the virus.

If you sit next to somebody at a bar who is shedding virus for 15 minutes, the odds are very good that they will give it to you. . I've seen stories of documented transmission from contact tracing at bars. It's hard to know who to believe, but given my training I find it extremely likely that IF you sit at a bar for 15 minutes with a person shedding the virus, that you will get the virus. It's logical and likely. As I've stated before. Turn off the AC and put a giant exhaust fan in window or doorway if you want to have an open bar. Air changes are very important.

Yes we know you hate bars in this situation.

How is it any different than restaurants or other places?

The risk to catching the virus is still low...because you still have to interact with someone that has the virus. I believe 3 to 5% of the public have had or currently have the virus..but the percentage that currently have it...is probably closer to .5% (these are just my estimations base on what I have read)

A good analogy to the threats of catching the virus is two people sharing the same birthday in any particular crowd....the more people in a crowd the more likely it becomes that two people share the same birthday.

If you go into a group of 25 people, statistics expect that two people will likely share the same birthday, but it is obviously still possible that nobody shares the same birthday.

The larger the group and the more groups you attend, the more likely you will become exposed to a group that has two people that share the same birthday.

Also, Predictability comes into the equation...if you are entering a group where you know the people attending, you will probably have a better chance of realizing if two people share the same birthday....

I think taking risks is up to the individual, but if you are taking the risks, I would hope that when you are in situations where others are trying to be cautious, you respect them and take similar precautions....To me it is fine to go to the bar without a mask, but if you visit grandma, it is probably prudent to wear a mask and keep social distance from her, so she doesn't have to assume the risks that you took at the bar.

Yes we know you hate bars in this situation.

How is it any different than restaurants or other places?
Restaurants are normally a situation where families sit down to eat together or maybe a couple of people who normally associate with each other regularly. I'm against crowded restaurants as well. IF you had people discreetly sitting at separate tables I would be fine with bars. When you have people wandering in and sitting AT a bar with strangers it encourages spread. I have a friend who owns a bar and grill. One of my favorite thing to do is sit at his bar and visit with area acquaintances while watching sports on their TVs. I haven't done that in months. It's driving me nuts but it's too risky for someone with my health issues.

I'm a bit of a libertarian on many things. My point about bars is that IF we're concerned about spread, there needs to be some controls at bars on how people interact. It's virtually impossible to protect yourself from some drunk coming up and getting in your face and all it takes is one person to infect you. Somebody 2 feet from your face for 30 seconds is likely enough. The old 15 minute rule for COVID doesn't come in to play when somebody is that close spraying your face with virus. Unfortunately many people who get a couple of drinks in their system forget any caution.

Their lockdown didn't shut down subways and elevators, 2 of probably the worst places you could be in a pandemic. It also forced thousands of people to stay inside of crappy housing with shared hallways. Meanwhile thousands of essential workers continued to work. There's a reason the Bronx was so hard hit as well. Serological studies in the Bronx suggested a 70% infection rate. Minorities with lower educational level were especially hard hit.

Cuomo's orders basically executed thousands of nursing home patients. When our local nursing home in a fairly isolated area went in to a full blown quarantine, Cuomo ordered nursing homes to accept COVID patients. Brilliant. He left the bars and restaurants open until things were too far gone probably for it to matter much any more. Right now the virus isn't having trouble finding new hosts because of their lockdown. The virus is having trouble finding new hosts because of how many people are immune to it now.

I think I've moved into the boat where it's a foregone conclusion that the season won't start until October if at all. It might be all over but the crying.

One thing you also don't see is the B1G coming out with a new schedule either.

You have Walmart mandating masks nationwide and stuff like this deep in SEC country.

I don't see alot of activity now that leads me to believe decision makers have moved onto the "play ball" mindset after being negative the last couple of weeks.

Hope I'm wrong.

we’re saying same thing in Iowa until UIHC said completely false.

Restaurants are normally a situation where families sit down to eat together or maybe a couple of people who normally associate with each other regularly. I'm against crowded restaurants as well. IF you had people discreetly sitting at separate tables I would be fine with bars. When you have people wandering in and sitting AT a bar with strangers it encourages spread. I have a friend who owns a bar and grill. One of my favorite thing to do is sit at his bar and visit with area acquaintances while watching sports on their TVs. I haven't done that in months. It's driving me nuts but it's too risky for someone with my health issues.

I'm a bit of a libertarian on many things. My point about bars is that IF we're concerned about spread, there needs to be some controls at bars on how people interact. It's virtually impossible to protect yourself from some drunk coming up and getting in your face and all it takes is one person to infect you. Somebody 2 feet from your face for 30 seconds is likely enough. The old 15 minute rule for COVID doesn't come in to play when somebody is that close spraying your face with virus. Unfortunately many people who get a couple of drinks in their system forget any caution.
this is what happens with teenagers even without alcohol. many parents tell them they can socialize outside but keep a distance. as soon as the teenagers see each other their instincts take over and they all hug and sit close together and basically act the way they did before covid. For some reason some peoples socialization instincts overtake all other instincts. We cannot trust our kid to behave appropriately so we just try our best to reduce the number of kids she is around at any one time. but its amazing how many large pool parties there have been around here with 40 high school kids hosted with parents. what i have figured out is the people who dont know anybody who has got sick think the whole thing is nothing. their time is coming

The risk to catching the virus is still low...because you still have to interact with someone that has the virus. I believe 3 to 5% of the public have had or currently have the virus..but the percentage that currently have it...is probably closer to .5% (these are just my estimations base on what I have read)

A good analogy to the threats of catching the virus is two people sharing the same birthday in any particular crowd....the more people in a crowd the more likely it becomes that two people share the same birthday.

If you go into a group of 25 people, statistics expect that two people will likely share the same birthday, but it is obviously still possible that nobody shares the same birthday.

The larger the group and the more groups you attend, the more likely you will become exposed to a group that has two people that share the same birthday.

Also, Predictability comes into the equation...if you are entering a group where you know the people attending, you will probably have a better chance of realizing if two people share the same birthday....

I think taking risks is up to the individual, but if you are taking the risks, I would hope that when you are in situations where others are trying to be cautious, you respect them and take similar precautions....To me it is fine to go to the bar without a mask, but if you visit grandma, it is probably prudent to wear a mask and keep social distance from her, so she doesn't have to assume the risks that you took at the bar.
Your infection rate is probably too low for areas other than rural areas. Florida has had an average of 31.1% of kids under 18 test positive. That's out of 54,000 kids tested. Some people are discounting that number but I think that would be a mistake. A serology survey showed the Bronx in April at over 30% and an esiimate in late May or early July had them at 70%. New York as a state as of the most recent estimates is at 20%. Granted most of that is in New York City area. I think over a month ago they estimated Nebraska at 3-5%. It has to be at least double that by now. Part of the problem is the longer you wait to test for antibodies the more likely that those antibodies have already decreased to the point that they may not yield a positive test. I would think testing somebody for antibodies 3 months after the fact might be too late.

this is what happens with teenagers even without alcohol. many parents tell them they can socialize outside but keep a distance. as soon as the teenagers see each other their instincts take over and they all hug and sit close together and basically act the way they did before covid. For some reason some peoples socialization instincts overtake all other instincts. We cannot trust our kid to behave appropriately so we just try our best to reduce the number of kids she is around at any one time. but its amazing how many large pool parties there have been around here with 40 high school kids hosted with parents. what i have figured out is the people who dont know anybody who has got sick think the whole thing is nothing. their time is coming
For over 90% of people this thing isn't a big deal. Actually that number is probably closer to 99% than 90%. Workplace studies have shown that over 90% of the people infected for instance in some packing plants have been asymptomatic. MOST people don't get seriously ill from this. One just doesn't know if you're in the majority or minority when it comes to this infection and it's not something I want to find out. A high school dance team in the metro area had 4 girls test positive for COVID recently. I don't know if they were tested because they had contact with a known positive family member, coach or what. It didn't sound like they had symptoms.

For over 90% of people this thing isn't a big deal. Actually that number is probably closer to 99% than 90%. Workplace studies have shown that over 90% of the people infected for instance in some packing plants have been asymptomatic. MOST people don't get seriously ill from this. One just doesn't know if you're in the majority or minority when it comes to this infection and it's not something I want to find out. A high school dance team in the metro area had 4 girls test positive for COVID recently. I don't know if they were tested because they had contact with a known positive family member, coach or what. It didn't sound like they had symptoms.
yes its just weird how wide of variance in reaction it has. some young healthy athletes have had to be hospitalized and spent weeks recovering. then some elderly have been asymptomatic. its crazy. but 1 percent of the population is a lot of people if your counting.

Thank you for that run down of what bars are like.

Open them. Open everything. Now.

yes its just weird how wide of variance in reaction it has. some young healthy athletes have had to be hospitalized and spent weeks recovering. then some elderly have been asymptomatic. its crazy. but 1 percent of the population is a lot of people if your counting.

It's cute when you focus on outliers.

Would you please share the documentation of young "healthy" athletes who've had to be hospitalized for COVID with us? Out of all the stories that the news media has used to try to scare the sh## out of people they've not come up with one of those.

Did you see that Fauci says we'll have a new treatment soon. The trials on monoclonal antibody therapy are wrapping up and he seems very confident that will be available for ill patients "by fall". I would assume it will be via IV infusion in a hospital setting. He wouldn't be talking about if he wasn't sure it was going to be effective. I thought it was important enough to start a new thread about it but obviously a mod didn't agree with that. Huge development.

There is a still a lot unknown about this virus. A small study looked at some people that were asymptomatic and when they looked at their lungs, it looked like they smoked 3 packs of cigarettes a day...so while short term they had no symptoms, it doesn't mean it won't affect them down the road. The study hypothesized that the lungs would get better much like when someone quits smoking...but until time passes, it is hard to know.

The infection rate and how long the antibodies last is a big question. I have seen estimates at 3 to 5% of the population and some higher estimates in hot spot areas..Until there are more studies, it still is anyone's guess.

i get it. they are outliers. they are not the norm. that is correct. but i will say i have never known a person in my life who died of the flu. thats 55 years of never coming across it. in 3 months i knew 2 people who died of covid. its probably just a chance happening but notable none the less

Would you please share the documentation of young "healthy" athletes who've had to be hospitalized for COVID with us? Out of all the stories that the news media has used to try to scare the sh## out of people they've not come up with one of those.
just google it. i just did. found a 30 something triathlete from south dakota. A 26 year old athlete from New Jersey. A 23 year old athlete who played college soccer from St. Louis. those are just the ones i found in 1 minute. imagine all the ones that didn't make google news. or if you actually tried researching it.

I am against lock downs and I haven't had a day off yet. Been working extra in fact.

But in general it's the govt, academics, and work-from-homers who think everything should be shut down.

And teachers, who want to keep getting paid without having to face their little terrorists every day.
I badly want to meet my kids in a month. I really have no idea how to effectively teach kids who I have not made a connection with and really can't even put a face to a name. Zoom lessons are a mess and so is the tech. They are only "terrorists" if they aren't raised right. As far as pay it's true that I have not missed a paycheck yet and I am worried about the future of in person education without a vaccine.

Reactions: red scowl
A story in the Atlantic summarizing latest trends on the pandemic.

In the United States, the rising severity of the current moment was obscured for several weeks by the downward drift of cases, hospitalizations, and deaths resulting from the spring outbreak in northeastern states. Even though deaths have been rising in the hardest-hit states of the Sun Belt surge, falling deaths in the Northeast disguised the trend.

Reactions: dckchusker
And another one from Vox

Some of these factors include mixed public health messaging and premature reopenings, young people skipping precautions because they perceive a lower risk of getting very sick, people returning to jobs, and more testing of people without symptoms. Let’s unpack some of these, which can help us better understand — and possibly slow — this new trend.

just google it. i just did. found a 30 something triathlete from south dakota. A 26 year old athlete from New Jersey. A 23 year old athlete who played college soccer from St. Louis. those are just the ones i found in 1 minute. imagine all the ones that didn't make google news. or if you actually tried researching it.
The triathlete was a 38 year old from Alexandria Minnesota who works for a chemical company. It's funny how stories can change when you google things. Did he die? No. He got sick. Did they share if they had asthma or some other comorbidity? No. I can't find the story on the soccer player. The most relevant might be the offensive lineman from FSU. Did he die? Was he even hospitalized? No. He was sick for several weeks. Again, focus on the outliers. There was a 25 year old pharmacy tech (never sees the sun) in California who died suddenly with "no KNOWN" comorbidities. No mention of that person's physical condition. Out of over an estimated 40 millions cases your going to find outliers and even then IF you do a thorough autopsy you're going to likely find health problems that coworkers didn't know about OR that the media chooses to not report. How Von Miller had it. His biggest complaint was that he couldn't work out and he's not in his 20s. Guess what. You can get that sick from the flu and it is probably more common for young people to get the flu and die from it than COVID. We don't shut down colleges for the flu.

Actual medical guidance stresses that athletes should be screened for diabetes, hypertension and blood disorders. IF you're a college lineman with hypertension you might want to sit this deal out. Googling various articles from non-scientific sources is not a great way to determine risk for athletes. There's way too many anecdotal stories out there from writers with agendas.

Now find all the hospitalizations from other viruses for young people over the past 50 years.
Spoiler: this is rare, but isnt new.

Theres zero reason to not be playing football this fall. Zero.

I badly want to meet my kids in a month. I really have no idea how to effectively teach kids who I have not made a connection with and really can't even put a face to a name. Zoom lessons are a mess and so is the tech. They are only "terrorists" if they aren't raised right. As far as pay it's true that I have not missed a paycheck yet and I am worried about the future of in person education without a vaccine.

You sound like a great teacher. Wish we had more of you.

Why are you worried about the future of in person education when schools elsewhere have been open for months?

Reactions: OzzyLvr
There are a lot of examples of countries that have reopened schools successfully, and a few others where it's not gone well at all. The U.S. has a great opportunity to learn from both and get kids back into school, but I don't have any confidence that we will. Instead of successfully reopening schools with appropriate precautions, it's just easier to view other countries as a bunch of ver-chewww signalin', freedom-hatin' know-nothins.

The triathlete was a 38 year old from Alexandria Minnesota who works for a chemical company. It's funny how stories can change when you google things. Did he die? No. He got sick. Did they share if they had asthma or some other comorbidity? No. I can't find the story on the soccer player. The most relevant might be the offensive lineman from FSU. Did he die? Was he even hospitalized? No. He was sick for several weeks. Again, focus on the outliers. There was a 25 year old pharmacy tech (never sees the sun) in California who died suddenly with "no KNOWN" comorbidities. No mention of that person's physical condition. Out of over an estimated 40 millions cases your going to find outliers and even then IF you do a thorough autopsy you're going to likely find health problems that coworkers didn't know about OR that the media chooses to not report. How Von Miller had it. His biggest complaint was that he couldn't work out and he's not in his 20s. Guess what. You can get that sick from the flu and it is probably more common for young people to get the flu and die from it than COVID. We don't shut down colleges for the flu.

Actual medical guidance stresses that athletes should be screened for diabetes, hypertension and blood disorders. IF you're a college lineman with hypertension you might want to sit this deal out. Googling various articles from non-scientific sources is not a great way to determine risk for athletes. There's way too many anecdotal stories out there from writers with agendas.
wow dude. i never said they died. you took it that far. i never said we shut down colleges. you took it that far. i didn't bring up von miller not being hospitalized. you did. all i said is there are plenty of examples of healthy young athletes being hospitalized. thats it. then you went on a trump like rambling where in the world did this come from rant.

Now find all the hospitalizations from other viruses for young people over the past 50 years.
Spoiler: this is rare, but isnt new.

Theres zero reason to not be playing football this fall. Zero.
who said we shouldn't play football? i can't find one in this thread. again you are jumping to a lot of conclusions. its almost like you have an agenda and think everyone you run into does too. newsflash: many of us dont care about politics or college fb. we are just talking about health. you should try it. your stress level will go down and you might make friends instead of enemies.

You sound like a great teacher. Wish we had more of you.

Why are you worried about the future of in person education when schools elsewhere have been open for months?
there's actually millions of teachers just like her all over the country. in fact i would guess she is a perfect example of a teacher. not an outlier. apparently you haven't ever taken the time to get to know many teachers. you prefer to throw stones from a distance with blinders on.

And another one from Vox

Some of these factors include mixed public health messaging and premature reopenings, young people skipping precautions because they perceive a lower risk of getting very sick, people returning to jobs, and more testing of people without symptoms. Let’s unpack some of these, which can help us better understand — and possibly slow — this new trend.
The Atlantic and Vox. Now those are some unbiased sources with no agenda.:rolleyes:Laughing

who said we shouldn't play football? i can't find one in this thread. again you are jumping to a lot of conclusions. its almost like you have an agenda and think everyone you run into does too. newsflash: many of us dont care about politics or college fb. we are just talking about health. you should try it. your stress level will go down and you might make friends instead of enemies.
It’s par for the course here. Any mention of masks or distancing or anything of remotely intelligent approach is slammed as ‘locking down the entire country’ when that is far from what is being said. I gave up on any logical discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT