ADVERTISEMENT

Covid 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
To all the single men here...If some smokin hawt chick wanted to go out with you right now, and by "go out" I mean, come over for a bottle of wine, or whiskey, whatever your firewater of choice is....do you let her? Or do you play it safe and decline, and hope she'll still want to when this passes? I let her, and risk it. What say ya'll?

giphy.gif

There started it for ya.
maybe instead of locking threads we could just give a week of vacation to those couple of posters who insist on turning every thread in to a political pissing match. I value the discussion and divergent opinions about the virus and different methods of dealing with it. That's where it should start and end. There will be plenty of time in other venues to assess the past.

The bad news. A somewhat rural county in South Dakota appears to have community transmission now and cases are rising. The good news. No hospitalizations yet there. I think that may be due to the age of the infected persons. Omaha is a mess and getting worse IMO. Omaha was about a week late in their response I'm afraid. With the airport travel and the flood of kids coming home from spring break etc it was inevitable IMO that this was going to spread there.

maybe instead of locking threads we could just give a week of vacation to those couple of posters who insist on turning every thread in to a political pissing match. I value the discussion and divergent opinions about the virus and different methods of dealing with it. That's where it should start and end. There will be plenty of time in other venues to assess the past.

If you can think of a better way for me to absolve myself of any culpability for our country’s problems and blame the other guy, I’d love to hear it....

I am listening to Cuomo. I dont know what else he could be doing. That said...my fear is that Fauci may be fired within the next few weeks. His daily messages doesnt always mesh with those at the top.....and history has proven that isnt tolerated. As a healthcare provider...that is concerning. Some may not share the belief that science needs to be a major driver in this....but Fauci is an expert that lends credible direction.

I am listening to Cuomo. I dont know what else he could be doing. That said...my fear is that Fauci may be fired within the next few weeks. His daily messages doesnt always mesh with those at the top.....and history has proven that isnt tolerated. As a healthcare provider...that is concerning. Some may not share the belief that science needs to be a major driver in this....but Fauci is an expert that lends credible direction.
Just stop

Fauci's latest concern is that young people are getting hospitalized at much higher rates in the U.S. with more serious cases than they've seen in other countries. Is that because they're a larger percent of U.S. cases, is it because they've received a higher viral dose due to behavior, or is it because of vaping and pot smoking. We know from other countries that being a smoker predisposes people to more serious complications from infection with COVID-19.

The bad news. A somewhat rural county in South Dakota appears to have community transmission now and cases are rising. The good news. No hospitalizations yet there. I think that may be due to the age of the infected persons. Omaha is a mess and getting worse IMO. Omaha was about a week late in their response I'm afraid. With the airport travel and the flood of kids coming home from spring break etc it was inevitable IMO that this was going to spread there.

Well I know for a fact Omaha hospitals knew the sh!tstorm that was/is coming.

Hong Kong (CNN)Only a week ago, Hong Kong seemed like a model for how to contain the novel coronavirus, with a relatively small number of cases despite months of being on the front lines of the outbreak.
That was in large part thanks to action taken early on, while cases were spreading across mainland China, to implement measures that are now familiar throughout the world: virus mapping, social distancing, intensive hand-washing, and wearing masks and other protective clothing.
Hong Kong was proof that these measures worked, with the city of 7.5 million only reporting some 150 cases at the start of March, even as the number of infections spiked in other East Asian territories like South Korea and Japan, and spread rapidly across Europe and North America.
Now, however, Hong Kong is providing a very different object lesson -- what happens when you let your guard down too soon. The number of confirmed cases has almost doubled in the past week, with many imported from overseas, as Hong Kong residents who had left -- either to work or study abroad, or to seek safety when the city seemed destined for a major outbreak earlier this year -- return, bringing the virus back with them.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/asia/hong-kong-coronavirus-quarantine-intl-hnk/index.html

Fauci's latest concern is that young people are getting hospitalized at much higher rates in the U.S. with more serious cases than they've seen in other countries. Is that because they're a larger percent of U.S. cases, is it because they've received a higher viral dose due to behavior, or is it because of vaping and pot smoking. We know from other countries that being a smoker predisposes people to more serious complications from infection with COVID-19.

Maybe we have a lower threshold of who is being admitted to hospital.

Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain
To all the single men here...If some smokin hawt chick wanted to go out with you right now, and by "go out" I mean, come over for a bottle of wine, or whiskey, whatever your firewater of choice is....do you let her? Or do you play it safe and decline, and hope she'll still want to when this passes? I let her, and risk it. What say ya'll?

I mash it. No hesitation.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Hong Kong (CNN)Only a week ago, Hong Kong seemed like a model for how to contain the novel coronavirus, with a relatively small number of cases despite months of being on the front lines of the outbreak.
That was in large part thanks to action taken early on, while cases were spreading across mainland China, to implement measures that are now familiar throughout the world: virus mapping, social distancing, intensive hand-washing, and wearing masks and other protective clothing.
Hong Kong was proof that these measures worked, with the city of 7.5 million only reporting some 150 cases at the start of March, even as the number of infections spiked in other East Asian territories like South Korea and Japan, and spread rapidly across Europe and North America.
Now, however, Hong Kong is providing a very different object lesson -- what happens when you let your guard down too soon. The number of confirmed cases has almost doubled in the past week, with many imported from overseas, as Hong Kong residents who had left -- either to work or study abroad, or to seek safety when the city seemed destined for a major outbreak earlier this year -- return, bringing the virus back with them.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/asia/hong-kong-coronavirus-quarantine-intl-hnk/index.html
I posted last night about an optimistic LA Times article about the views of Nobel winner Michael Levitt. He says that the we'll be likely at the peak and trending down in 3 weeks (I'm assumingd he means on the west coast) that doesn't mean that we can drop precautions like social distancing. IMO those things are going to be with us for months if not through next winter. Two things that could happen that could change that. One would be IF we get to the critical threshhold of 70% population immunity. Social distancing actually slows that. The other would be IF we could get a vaccine to the public MUCH faster than the current FDA testing guidelines will allow.

In China vaccine companies are already ramping up testing and production of vaccine. You can ramp up production of the antigen portion of the vaccine while you're waiting for the results of you initial human trials. Once you have the likely correct dose of antigen you could add the diluent, adjuvant and ship it. We COULD have a vaccine in the hands of Dr.s in a matter of a couple months IF the FDA would adopt some emergency rules for vaccine testing and production. We' would find out very quickly how effective the vaccine was while continuing the research in real time virus challenge situations if we started by immunizing health care workers.

I don't believe so. Hospitals are aggressively trying to keep COVID-19 patients at home if at all possible. You might be correct but that isn't my impression.

I don't believe so. Hospitals are aggressively trying to keep COVID-19 patients at home if at all possible. You might be correct but that isn't my impression.
Especially in places like New York, triaging who needs actual hospitalization is critical. I just listened to Cuomo's press conference. He said many hospitals are looking at changing less critical hospital rooms into ICU rooms. So it sounds like in NY, they are trying to ensure that only the most critical are admitted

Reactions: bluenrg

I think two waves are inevitable. But the second wave will be effected by herd antibody, as your story points out, they dont have one.
Nature is going to try to live,this virus is no different. It's the reason why we need medicines to weaken its ability to cause great harm, and shorten it.
But ultimately, the vaccine.

The herd effect is the most costly effect, because it has to effect large amounts of the population, but keeping the curve down, it allows for the herd effect, plus best helps from our health systems without being overcome,yt over a longer period of time, reach the same numbers if it were unencumbered.

But, the herd effect is like a spiderweb, where we're all connected, but those with antibodies act as cut off points within the web, as the virus tries to expand, it hits enough dead ends where it never reaches certain places or people. Thats the natural effect,the survival effect.

Reactions: bluenrg
Especially in places like New York, triaging who needs actual hospitalization is critical. I just listened to Cuomo's press conference. He said many hospitals are looking at changing less critical hospital rooms into ICU rooms. So it sounds like in NY, they are trying to ensure that only the most critical are admitted
I believe that there are probably already more vacant hospital rooms than there would normally be. Elective surgical procedures like joint replacements and non-emergent heart surgeries have already been postponed to free up staff and facilities across the country. I just don't know how realistic it is to make regular rooms in to ICU rooms. They are very different but we're desperate so they'll do what they have to and make the best of a bad situation for the patients. I'm more concerned about having sufficient staffing than I am facilities and equipment.

This is consistent with an ER Dr/Nurse on Twitter saying that a lot of the NYC cases coming in TO THE ER are COVID 19 cases under 40. Not sure why they are coming in to the ER, but I would assume that they are in dire health.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Thanks for all that provide useful info on this thing. It is interesting to read everything as all of this progresses. It is probably posted somewhere, but is there a way to test for if a person has the antibody? Once we start to get this thing under control, it would be interesting to have a way to see the levels of people that actually did have it.

Let me preface this by saying I am not advocating anything, but at what point does the world just say F it and go back to work? At some point in the near future, people that are unemployed are going to reach a breaking point. It's bad to say, but at some point we may take some losses to try and get back to normal. It will definitely spur change in the mid to long term, but the small amount of social interaction I have now with a few people at my work, it is already getting there. Hopefully it doesn't become hostile in the near future as people are beginning to lose everything ranging from service industry all of the way to Dentistry and beyond. This could get ugly.

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
Maybe, but we are also testing at a much lower rate. Many cities (like KC) basically told residents they don't have test, so just stay home and assume they have the virus, if they have symptoms.

Let me preface this by saying I am not advocating anything, but at what point does the world just say F it and go back to work? At some point in the near future, people that are unemployed are going to reach a breaking point. It's bad to say, but at some point we may take some losses to try and get back to normal
I've heard several of our "leaders" say that expect a shutdown or some form of aggressive social distancing for 10-12 weeks. I think that is because that is what the epidemiologists and infectious disease experts are telling the President and legislative leaders. Cuomo is talking in terms of a year but I think he's gotten a little bit histrionic because of the immense stress of what New York is experiencing. As I said before, I think we'll be very lucky to have football this fall. I expect the social distancing thing to carry on for months.

Reactions: WHCSC
If you have symptoms, contact a doctor, give all info, let the doctor make the call.
I've seen mothers send their kids into the doctors for ear aches, not bad ones, but it was free to do so, so they did it.
While expensive,it worked, but now, theres a serious pecking order, and your age, your current health, your history etc are weighed ,but the threshold of going into the hospital has changed is all.

I've heard several of our "leaders" say that expect a shutdown or some form of aggressive social distancing for 10-12 weeks. I think that is because that is what the epidemiologists and infectious disease experts are telling the President and legislative leaders. Cuomo is talking in terms of a year but I think he's gotten a little bit histrionic because of the immense stress of what New York is experiencing. As I said before, I think we'll be very lucky to have football this fall. I expect the social distancing thing to carry on for months.
Whats interesting is, the rate of likely transmission in NY is fairly high, and theres going to be alot of recovered people eventually, which is good, but its also the stress on the system currently.

If NY can squeeze by for treatment now, it will take less time there now because of the amounts of transmissions.

Reactions: leodisflowers

I agree with you that it is going to be suggested, but at some point people are going to start to snap and put real pressure on our leaders to get America restarted. I can't remember the exact stat I heard, but basically the majority of the US lives basically paycheck to paycheck with no real savings. It'll be pretty damn difficult to continue to tell people to stay in place when they have nothing left. Risks will be taken and deaths with probably mount up in the older population as we won't be able to continue to stay home. The scary part is I feel like we are going to see rioting in the next few weeks in major cities. That is what scares me. A lot of people have lived in luxury (compared to a lot of countries) for so long and as those luxuries go away there is going to be a lot of anger.

I agree with you that it is going to be suggested, but at some point people are going to start to snap and put real pressure on our leaders to get America restarted. I can't remember the exact stat I heard, but basically the majority of the US lives basically paycheck to paycheck with no real savings. It'll be pretty damn difficult to continue to tell people to stay in place when they have nothing left. Risks will be taken and deaths with probably mount up in the older population as we won't be able to continue to stay home. The scary part is I feel like we are going to see rioting in the next few weeks in major cities. That is what scares me. A lot of people have lived in luxury (compared to a lot of countries) for so long and as those luxuries go away there is going to be a lot of anger.
Yeah I know what you're saying. I think there's already a lot of ignoring of social distancing going on just because people have to eat. Right now in my area plants and retail stores have cut hours but are still a full go otherwise. We'll see what happens when we have our first local case. People are already being VERY careful otherwise. Restaurants are virtually empty and I think very safe. Fast food has gone completely carry out but when you have a bunch of 20 year olds staffing it you wonder how safe that is. These are going to be tough times for a lot of people I'm afraid and hundreds of thousands are likely going to lose their jobs. That is why even though I'm very fiscally conservative I'm all in on expanding unemployment coverage in the short term.

Anger and being tough, I choose being tough and waiting over being tough and facing the national guard.

Yet I get it, and things need to happen as quick as possible, like money in peoples pockets, delayed payments etc.
Thats other decisions, some being prepped by our leaders now, other things as the needs arise.

Lots of new gun owners in the last few weeks to...recipe for a disaster waiting to happen. BTW, I completely love guns, and am not advocating anything...just saying a lot of new (inexperienced) gun owners in these times could lead to some issues.

Yeah I know what you're saying. I think there's already a lot of ignoring of social distancing going on just because people have to eat. Right now in my area plants and retail stores have cut hours but are still a full go otherwise. We'll see what happens when we have our first local case. People are already being VERY careful otherwise. Restaurants are virtually empty and I think very safe. Fast food has gone completely carry out but when you have a bunch of 20 year olds staffing it you wonder how safe that is. These are going to be tough times for a lot of people I'm afraid and hundreds of thousands are likely going to lose their jobs. That is why even though I'm very fiscally conservative I'm all in on expanding unemployment coverage in the short term.

Yeah, I'm in the construction industry and so we are still a full go which is nice, but we are starting to get a pretty steady amount of people coming to our office looking for jobs that have zero construction experience. Some of that is good, as there is a lack of people that want to do that labor and will be teachable, but I guess we will see if they stay at the end of this. I consider myself lucky, but man these are scary times for employment.

Lots of new gun owners in the last few weeks to...recipe for a disaster waiting to happen. BTW, I completely love guns, and am not advocating anything...just saying a lot of new (inexperienced) gun owners in these times could lead to some issues.
Peple aren't thinking this through, guns are fine, but if I start coughing all over someone who comes to rob me, or on anything I can that they may want, I say,let em have it.

I believe that there are probably already more vacant hospital rooms than there would normally be. Elective surgical procedures like joint replacements and non-emergent heart surgeries have already been postponed to free up staff and facilities across the country. I just don't know how realistic it is to make regular rooms in to ICU rooms. They are very different but we're desperate so they'll do what they have to and make the best of a bad situation for the patients. I'm more concerned about having sufficient staffing than I am facilities and equipment.
Absolutely. Beds/staffing issues are connected. I have been a nurse for 35 years.....and staffing is a big concern. My employer started recruiting temp staff 2 weeks ago

Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
Did it mutate maybe?

Man I don't see the people or economy making it that long. I think people and business are going to have to start getting back to normal. I know someone brought it up a few days ago and said at what point does one have to weigh the life of few for the lives and economy of everyone. There are going to be tough decisions to make in the coming days and weeks. Im glad I don't have to make them.

Man I don't see the people or economy making it that long. I think people and business are going to have to start getting back to normal. I know someone brought it up a few days ago and said at what point does one have to weigh the life of few for the lives and economy of everyone. There are going to be tough decisions to make in the coming days and weeks. Im glad I don't have to make them.
I suspect we'll see a decline of cases in May and some activity will be allowed. IF I were a restaurant or bar owner I would be very worried. There are a ton of outdoor jobs where activity can continue and many plants can maintain physical distances and remain in production. The good news? I think telemarketers are crammed in little rooms with each other.Winking

Reactions: husker2612
If you have symptoms, contact a doctor, give all info, let the doctor make the call.
I've seen mothers send their kids into the doctors for ear aches, not bad ones, but it was free to do so, so they did it.
While expensive,it worked, but now, theres a serious pecking order, and your age, your current health, your history etc are weighed ,but the threshold of going into the hospital has changed is all.
I feel like a sentinel chicken that is sent in to a confined facility to see if the building has been vacant long enough to allow repopulation after a disease outbreak. They just tested my kid who came home from Boston for COVID-19. Horrible cold over the weekend and Mom works in healthcare. It takes 5-7 days to get test results back. Something tells me that I will know if she had it before we get the results. If I stop posting on here in a few days from now.....there's yer sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT