ADVERTISEMENT

Covid 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was stunned by NYs local government, when Nebraska schools were shuttered, ncaa activities, pro sports etc,all shut down, yet they still had bars open, schools open etc.
The stress they put on its systems are unforgivable.
They are now paying the price.

all those things are shutdown/crippled due to decisions made by elected people, not by experts.

Dr Fauci (perhaps the foremost expert) himself said getting together with people you're regularly interacting with is fine. Going outside in parks and to exercise is fine. just use common sense and keep your distance.

Denver, where there have been zero deaths, just initiated a shutdown because the mayor's office and 911 were flooded with calls complaining about too many people in out in parks playing games and picnicking.

what a joke. hope you don't own a small business, because I'm sure the show will go on as far as tax collection goes. same goes for anyone with a car- hope you have all the parking allowances memorized, because the ticket brigade won't be quarantined.

the gov't cares deeply for you & always knows what's right.
1st of all, small businesses aren't in trouble because of a shutdown, they are in trouble because of massive income inequality across our nation where a few people hold a vast majority of the wealth. IF people had savings, IF people weren't on average 60k in debt, IF a few had actually paid off their mortgages, and weren't four days from insolvent we were be in much better shape. I feel for the small business owner...but you need to know that guys like Amazon and Tesla are looking for 5 billion in handouts to keep their pet projects going, Mnuchin is looking for 450 billion in taxpayer dollars that is non-disclosure free. Small businesses are in the same boat as the small people...if they give unemployment benefits to the small people they will likely lump in small business stimulus...but one political party is looking for a trillion that doesn't have a paper trail..and the big corps are spending their time lobbying the government to stimulus them while the small business owner is looking how to stay in business and support their employees. We have enough money to get through this...but the super rich continue to use their influence to siphon any plan that could help the small people.

Reactions: Crushinator
This. Plus, the virus on surfaces out in open outdoor spaces are unlikely to survive for very long due to UV. I'm all about mitigation, but some actions are futile. For example, the pictures of trucks in the streets of South Korea spraying disinfectant on the roads was probably all for naught. Although it did achieve a display to tell citizens they were taking proactive measures.

A person walked down the street and gets virus on their shoe...it is no longer exposed to u.v...they walk into their house, the virus sits on the carpet...their 2 year old touches it, incubates it for a few days, gets a 1 hour fever and then infects the rest of the house including grandma...nobody knew where it came from...it is obvious the virus is unusually contagious...the data is pretty clear...

A person walked down the street and gets virus on their shoe...it is no longer exposed to u.v...they walk into their house, the virus sits on the carpet...their 2 year old touches it, incubates it for a few days, gets a 1 hour fever and then infects the rest of the house including grandma...nobody knew where it came from...it is obvious the virus is unusually contagious...the data is pretty clear...
Yep. And contagiousness and environmental persistence are two different things. Don’t confuse them

I doubt there will be any widespread retrospective serologic studies done to determine exposure rates. In some areas that may and should be true just for educational purposes. I think you could maybe go to your Dr at some point and request an antibody test but you would likely pay for it entirely out of your own pocket.
serology is going to become a serious consideration as we enter the summer months. That is going to be the key to society going back to work and conserving supplies. There are already a number of companies working on quick tests that can be done in a day. I expect by next August there will be local serology stations where a person can know if they can move freely though society...shops and stores will open for the immune and the immune will get jobs. At that point something will be better than nothing. It is such a top priority to get the machines of commerce flowing again that we will likely do some extreme things like make you print off a form saying you are clear and so on. This will certainly be a requirement of medical personnel so they don't need the PPE...

Yep. And contagiousness and environmental persistence are two different things. Don’t confuse them
5 minutes in a crowed, and cloudy, SK street is enough time for 100 people to walk over an region where a person recently coughed. Remember that the droplets from a cough go downward within 6 feet of the cough. And despite what many believe South Korea is often cold and cloudy this time of year. The environmental persistence of Covid is very impressive, and much more robust than originally expect. This is probably its most outstanding unique and outstanding adaptation, that and the fact it sheds in such high amounts while the person is asymptomatic. Remember a droplet of covid can be viable after 3 hours suspended in air. So spraying streets may also be spraying air.

1st of all, small businesses aren't in trouble because of a shutdown, they are in trouble because of massive income inequality across our nation where a few people hold a vast majority of the wealth. IF people had savings, IF people weren't on average 60k in debt, IF a few had actually paid off their mortgages, and weren't four days from insolvent we were be in much better shape. I feel for the small business owner...but you need to know that guys like Amazon and Tesla are looking for 5 billion in handouts to keep their pet projects going, Mnuchin is looking for 450 billion in taxpayer dollars that is non-disclosure free. Small businesses are in the same boat as the small people...if they give unemployment benefits to the small people they will likely lump in small business stimulus...but one political party is looking for a trillion that doesn't have a paper trail..and the big corps are spending their time lobbying the government to stimulus them while the small business owner is looking how to stay in business and support their employees. We have enough money to get through this...but the super rich continue to use their influence to siphon any plan that could help the small people.
spare me

giphy.gif

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Well I guess if it goes the way some want, in a bit over a week it’ll be business as usual.

Not sure if this is a way to put the burden on the states and community level or what, but it’s a bit concerning in the least.

This drug works at high doses in vitro but is not efficacious at safe doses in humans. Don’t try it people.

Man dies after ingesting chloroquine in an attempt to prevent coronavirus

Full blown panic in action.

That stuff is used to treat external parasites on fish, even though the article states that it's used to clean fish tanks.

People started buying the hell out of it 4-5 weeks ago. It was out of stock all over the place. Didn't make the connection to corona until recently. Hopefully nobody else decides to implement other home remedies.

where a few people hold a vast majority of the wealth this is where you lost me our economy is not a closed system there is not finite amount of money. It grows when business expands and shrinks when businesses shrink. You cannot take form the rich and give to the poor and create new wealth or even keep the same amount you just make everyone poor. There some things that need to be fixed such as making CEO's more socially responsible but the system is not broke. I have no idea where people learn these falsehoods

Since this is a virus thread instead of a benefit of communism thread - update on Washington - our city just imposed a full quarantine only able to be out if 1) work at a listed essential job and must have letter. 2) grocery half on odd days half on even and must utilize grocer loading. 3) medical again on odd and even days - enforced by police - Inslee is having a prime time press conference and the state is expected to have something very similar. Also Boesing shut down production for two weeks starting Wednesday 70,000 affected

I'd heard that with Mexicos restrictions combined with ours, pickers wont be coming, so, there will be jobs for some,if this doesn't turn around by harvest.
There's lots to fix,lots to guess at, we all need to step up.
Not true. Legit ag visa workers are deemed not non-essential. Fake news

- update on Washington - our city just imposed a full quarantine only able to be out if 1) work at a listed essential job and must have letter. 2) grocery half on odd days half on even and must utilize grocer loading. 3) medical again on odd and even days - enforced by police - Inslee is having a prime time press conference and the state is expected to have something very similar. Also Boesing shut down production for two weeks starting Wednesday 70,000 affected

Hang in there, Snohomish. My kid in Kitsap Co. also figured that the Gov is about to impose a shelter in place tonight. (which won't affect him as he's an essential worker.)

Stay safe!

Oh goody, another person with a PhD in molecular biology to discuss this paper with on the board.

The authors state that "Coupled with the observation of previously identified pathogenic CoV backbones3,20, our results suggest that the starting materials required for SARS-like emergent strains are currently circulating in animal reservoirs."

I would love to hear what your FBI analyst has to say about emergence paradigms in coronaviruses and how he concluded that this must be an engineered strain. I mean he's an FBI analyst so surely he understands the science behind coronaviruses.

41591_2015_Article_BFnm3985_Fig4_HTML.jpg
here's my problem with that statement. No I don't have a Phd in molecular biology though I've sat through way too many lectures on graduate level pathology, virology, biochemistry etc. The statement does not rule out that those same things could have been present in a lab strain of Corona virus. I've said before that this is most likely an accidental infection from bats but that statement alone does not prove that it isn't a virus collected and propagated in a lab. They would have means to test as many wild viruses as they wanted potentially even on human subjects. They have to do something with all of those political prisoners to make them earn their keep.Winking

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthwoodHusker
That’s what happens when one uses things like fact and science.
Fact and science have nothing to do with societies. Or,politics.
One has to express hope, the other caution, and the masses only want hope,not caring about the cautions.

Non essential means,they can't cross,right? Those numbers are only a portion of who actually do the work. Those folks can't cross.
No. Agriculture is ESSENTIAL. Not sure what you are referring to. But non-essential IS closed down whether it be in or vice versa. So don't spin the raci#st tactic. All countries are doing it

Last edited:
I saved this for the last of the hysterical masses. Call me whatever you want, just don't say I am bad at math...

No way we see a 200-400x increase in the death rate in FL, as an example, to get even close to this projected death rate of 40-60k.

Let alone millions.

Sheep.

Reactions: GBRforLife1
I know, I used to know a bunch of them, my son was foreman to some as well.
Not all are legal, many many aren't.

They might be able to apply once approved in this situation, or we're going to have us doing it, or, them doing it , or,the food rots in the fields.

COVID 19 death rate is around 1.3% in US and let's be realistic that percentage is way high because so many have the virus, but show little or no symptoms
We're going to look back at this as one of the biggest over reactions in World History - the current percentages are very similar to Influenza
It has virtually destroyed a world economy in 3 months
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, but I used to play one years ago;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT