ADVERTISEMENT

Covid 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless there's law passed by Congress I think the states would have the power to do what they want within their own constitutions. I don't know what the President's powers pertain to in dealing with a crisis during a declared emergency.
I believe a president has emergency powers to aid states at the federal level, and can temporarily have nationwide actions such as martial law, but it's limited, til congress can act.
I believe thats why he used the emergency act to control business output, in case he needs to, fr a very good reason. If employees quit or get sick, or just dont show up, he can mandate a business to do whats needed, and others can be brought in if needed to make sure production flows.
The idea businesses aren't cooperating is a cooked up fallacy, as it keeps their people working and fed, and them making some monies as well, though some have volunteered profit to an extent.

China has been dealing with this outbreak since late December at least. They supposedly are at over 350,000 cases and a little over 16000 deaths. That's a far cry from SBH's estimates. I would hope we can do better than China. Make no mistake this is going to get very ugly especially in New York because of their population density and how little they did early on but nationally just social distancing and self quarantine is going to help us immensely.
I agree with social distancing except for the idiots there the one that go out coughing and hacking, sneezing just to buy a lottery ticket at the local grocery store. I’m not paranoid about going out, I’m just buying the essentials not hoarding. But what concerns me is those people I mentioned or else I would probably conduct a little more business

Reactions: dinglefritz
in two weeks at the current rate of increase the country will be around 10 million cases and 100,000 deaths.
I really don't believe the rate of increase is actually as high as the numbers seem to indicate. What we have is a huge number of new testing kits that have gone out and a huge number of new tests being done. I suspect that China didn't test as many people as we are going to AND I know that there are at least some people in Italy who were called COVID-19 positive when in fact they had influenza and weren't even tested for COVID-19. This is going to get worse before it gets better but the social distancing and self quarantining going on is going ot help us a bunch. It just won't show up for probably 10 days when the number of new cases should slow and hopefully peak and begin to decline by 3 weeks IF we continue the social distancing. I could go around town today and do the shopping and things I needed to do for my business and still maintain my 6' perimeter. It isn't that hard if others respect it as well.

Reactions: bluenrg
It's been pretty well shut down anyway, bars, restaurants and most retail non essential businesses were closed previously

I believe that King and Snohomish counties were shut down while the rest of the state wasn't shut down as much. Now it's the entire state - at least that's my understanding. I get the feeling that Inslee means business and is willing to enforce this rule. My son's employer just posted that if an employee is pulled over by law enforcement to show them your badge so they know you are an "essential" employee.

I believe that King and Snohomish counties were shut down while the rest of the state wasn't shut down as much. Now it's the entire state - at least that's my understanding. I get the feeling that Inslee means business and is willing to enforce this rule. My son's employer just posted that if an employee is pulled over by law enforcement to show them your badge so they know you are an "essential" employee.
It appears that Washington's rate of increase and deaths has slowed dramatically. I hope that's just not artifact from the nursing homes cases. With the actions being taken you should reach your peak number of cases soon and hopefully start falling slowly afterwards. Then it's just a matter of maintaining responsible behavior by citizens.

in two weeks at the current rate of increase the country will be around 10 million cases and 100,000 deaths.

Doubtful. It's only increasing rapidly in NYC, which is a place of 9 million people who literally live on top of each other on a small island, and where everyone takes public transportation. It's also a major travel hub with multiple airports. And it didn't help that the NYC mayor waited too long to take action. A week ago he was encouraging people to go out to restaurants and live their normal lives.

Most of the country is very different from NYC. Temporary social distancing will be enough for most places to manage this without completely destroying their economies.

Last edited:
China has been dealing with this outbreak since late December at least. They supposedly are at over 350,000 cases and a little over 16000 deaths. That's a far cry from SBH's estimates. I would hope we can do better than China. Make no mistake this is going to get very ugly especially in New York because of their population density and how little they did early on but nationally just social distancing and self quarantine is going to help us immensely.

Dingle starting to backtrack...but we still luv ya bro.

I hope your wife stays safe my friend.

P.S. Your stocks will be fine. Re-allocate into some good shit right now.

Hong Kong (CNN)Only a week ago, Hong Kong seemed like a model for how to contain the novel coronavirus, with a relatively small number of cases despite months of being on the front lines of the outbreak.
That was in large part thanks to action taken early on, while cases were spreading across mainland China, to implement measures that are now familiar throughout the world: virus mapping, social distancing, intensive hand-washing, and wearing masks and other protective clothing.
Hong Kong was proof that these measures worked, with the city of 7.5 million only reporting some 150 cases at the start of March, even as the number of infections spiked in other East Asian territories like South Korea and Japan, and spread rapidly across Europe and North America.
Now, however, Hong Kong is providing a very different object lesson -- what happens when you let your guard down too soon. The number of confirmed cases has almost doubled in the past week, with many imported from overseas, as Hong Kong residents who had left -- either to work or study abroad, or to seek safety when the city seemed destined for a major outbreak earlier this year -- return, bringing the virus back with them.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/asia/hong-kong-coronavirus-quarantine-intl-hnk/index.html

Yeah that's what S Korea is starting to focus on now. Every incoming traveler from Europe gets tested at the airport now and then are quarantined for two weeks after that. I expect they will expand that to include travelers from America any day now. Looks like I'm going to have to postpone this trip.

Dingle starting to backtrack...
Nope. At the point I was sounding the alarm (and I'm still pissing my pants over this deal) we were doing NOTHING to slow it down. There are still going to be areas where our healthcare providers get overwhelmed. It's just starting to happen in New York. I shudder to think what the next 3-4 weeks are going to be like for them . There are going to be HUGE numbers of very very sick citizens and healthcare workers and some young productive people are going to die. We're not out of the woods and it will get worse before it gets better BUT the actions that are being taken I'm convinced are going to help us tremendously.

I would venture a guess that just about all of us are going to lose friends and family because of this virus.

Reactions: headcard
Nope. At the point I was sounding the alarm (and I'm still pissing my pants over this deal) we were doing NOTHING to slow it down. There are still going to be areas where our healthcare providers get overwhelmed. It's just starting to happen in New York. I shudder to think what the next 3-4 weeks are going to be like for them . There are going to be HUGE numbers of very very sick citizens and healthcare workers and some young productive people are going to die. We're not out of the woods and it will get worse before it gets better BUT the actions that are being taken I'm convinced are going to help us tremendously.

I would venture a guess that just about all of us are going to lose friends and family because of this virus.
giphy.gif

Reactions: cornhustler
I think the death estimates have come down a lot due to the steps that have been taken. We'll see. New York is going to get really ugly over the next week or two then this thing is going to drag out for months.

Why are healthcare professionals crying for PPE? I understand the seriousness without understanding the minutiae. I have no interest in getting in a cursing match on a football board.

You sem reasonable and well informed. In business you develop relationships with multiple suppliers. You do this to guarantee you can continue to operate. I read your post about non profit hospitals. Never been to one.

Another fella told me the lack of equipment is because of a failure of imagination. See 9/11. I disregarded that, because it was already modeled and had protocols.

Same as a biological warfare. The United Stated won't lose a total war with conventional weapons. But it might with biological or chemical.

The hoosker du guy runs his numbers etc...
And people make excuses but based on modeling the greatest threat has been a threat thru aerosol. It has been run again and again. I don't believe it's as serious as some believe, but it could be.

Why isn't the CDC, FEMA etc... prepared to deal with things known from the late 80's to now.

Money? That's seems a reach.

Reactions: headcard
Why are healthcare professionals crying for PPE? I understand the seriousness without understanding the minutiae. I have no interest in getting in a cursing match on a football board.

You sem reasonable and well informed. In business you develop relationships with multiple suppliers. You do this to guarantee you can continue to operate. I read your post about non profit hospitals. Never been to one.

Another fella told me the lack of equipment is because of a failure of imagination. See 9/11. I disregarded that, because it was already modeled and had protocols.

Same as a biological warfare. The United Stated won't lose a total war with conventional weapons. But it might with biological or chemical.

And people make excuses but based on modeling the greatest threat has been a threat thru aerosol. It has been run again and again. I don't believe it's as serious as some believe, but it could be.

Why isn't the CDC, FEMA etc... prepared to deal with things known from the late 80's to now.

They’re worried because stock is low, the average not for profit hospital runs on 1-4% margins and has limited space. Buying and storing PPE in sterile locations is not cheap, you can’t just store this stuff in a non climate controlled, non sterile facility. If our heath care providers get sick, who takes care of patients?

They’re worried because stock is low, the average not for profit hospital runs on 1-4% margins and has limited space. Buying and storing PPE in sterile locations is not cheap, you can’t just store this stuff in a non climate controlled, non sterile facility. If our heath care providers get sick, who takes care of patients?

Disappointing

Disappointing

My business carries many of the same PPE as has been requested for medical use. I see medical professionals crying for ppe and that scares me because it makes me question. It is readily available. It doesn't require Nostradamus to be ready. Hell, movies have been made.If our healthcare providers didnt have the forethought to protect themselves, why should I believe they can heal any of us? Seems very basic and dumb.

Reactions: SkerInCo

PPE has a shelf life, but it is cheap. The crying of administrators of hospitals is making me callous. Dingle said that ventilators are a seasonal equipment with the flu. I let that go. I don't deal in healthcare.

I'm curious why people are dlready to protect the CDC and our healthcare industry, while they have failed to protect you from a virus discovered in the 1960's

But, but, but, but, but, but... New strain Right?

My business carries many of the same PPE as has been requested for medical use. I see medical professionals crying for ppe and that scares me because it makes me question. It is readily available. It doesn't require Nostradamus to be ready. Hell, movies have been made.If our healthcare providers didnt have the forethought to protect themselves, why should I believe they can heal any of us? Seems very basic and dumb.

N95 masks have a shelf life of 2-5 years depending on model or manufacturer. Again, hospitals run on low margins and limited facilities. Expecting the to stockpile years worth of equipment that will usually go to waste is not a realistic option. Especially when everyone already is worried about the cost of healthcare.

They aren't vacuum sealed?

N95 masks have a shelf life of 2-5 years depending on model or manufacturer. Again, hospitals run on low margins and limited facilities. Expecting the to stockpile years worth of equipment that will usually go to waste is not a realistic option. Especially when everyone already is worried about the cost of healthcare.

So healthcare isn't culpable? It's the gubbmint!!! A fella here informed me we have multiple teams constructed by the CDC to deal with virulent viruses. He was condescending, of course, but he didnt know either.

2.2 million to deal with 330 million in a quarantine. GTFO of here. Most if not all, is not suited to delivering your granny soup or enforcing a martial law on their fellow citizens.

I appreciate the information I get from some from here, and I question alot, but I'm just trying to protect my family, and the world has made me skeptical. The military moreso.

Even if those numbers are correct, that'd be assuming the current rate kept constant, which it never does.

By your math in 10 weeks we'll all be dead. In a year the planet will be extinct of humans.

Yet in Kirkland Washington 94% of tests are negative. How can this be?

Book mark this and lets discuss it in 10 weeks and a year.

1st of all, small businesses aren't in trouble because of a shutdown, they are in trouble because of massive income inequality across our nation where a few people hold a vast majority of the wealth.

This is cute, but it doesn't acknowledge cash flow.

Pretty sure all the hair stylists out there who are going to be out of work for a month plus due to a bullsh!t stay at home order would be just fine without a shut down. Same for nail salons, retail, restaurants, etc. etc. etc.

This will shock you, but the majority of the country doesn't work in a corporate office. They're not smart enough. And that's saying something.

Isn't ran well Your wife can be a Dr. that charts after a 12 hr shift, but I won't be impressed. My parents can't afford the Dr. or prescriptions. I pay for that. Now administration is crying.

Do better and stfu.

Cancer? Too many variables. Impossible to cure.I pay a gold note. IDGAF about why.or how. Do your job.

It isn't money at his point. Money is no object. Regardless of how some want to blame Trump for disbanding some CDC pandemic committee, the CDC makes contingency plans for all kinds of things like this. We've got thousands of people shuffling paper, having non-stop meetings and sending each other jokes in emails at the CDC. One of the biggest problems is our "just in time economy" and the fact that much of the supplies are manufactured in China. You can't physically store the volume of material that we're going through forever. I suspect we will be soon though as a routine matter. We'll store it for 10 years and keep throw out half every 2-3 years. Unfortunately I'm sure we couldn't surplus it and sell it to industry near the expiration date either.
They aren't vacuum sealed?
There
I never noticed expiration dates on disposable gowns and masks before that I've used but it makes sense. Suture material etc all has expiration dates while much of it can be used successfully long after the date for non-critical non-human applications. Right now I don't think Docs would care what the date was as long as they have something. Again I think the FDA controls expiration dates and some of it is ridiculous.

Last edited:
The cdc thing was restructured into a greater overall heading of other groups,which,by the way, are all working in unison as designed to right now. Smart move, quicker overall responses between agencies now.

If people dont mind paying two or three gold dugats to keep things fresh, then, let it happen, otherwise, war is the proper term for our current situation. In war, things happen you don't expect and arent prepared for.
Those other things? Those are known as skirmishes, somehow, this doesn't remind me of a skirmish.

This is cute, but it doesn't acknowledge cash flow.

Pretty sure all the hair stylists out there who are going to be out of work for a month plus due to a bullsh!t stay at home order would be just fine without a shut down. Same for nail salons, retail, restaurants, etc. etc. etc.

This will shock you, but the majority of the country doesn't work in a corporate office. They're not smart enough. And that's saying something.
Working in a corporate office doesn't make you smart.

Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security was part of an international group that studied all of the countries and their preparedness to handle a pandemic in late 2019. The US was ranked as the best-prepared country. You can check out the Global Health Security Index at ghsindex.org. I know many don’t like to click on embedded links.

I liken this virus to cockpit doors...you didn't need them right up until you did, but the fact no planes had them leading up to 9/11 didn't bother anyone because you don't know what you don't know....

........now everybody is playing arm chair perfect hindsight QB and acting like we should have had trillions in equipment and people standing around waiting for a pandemic we've never seen before.

Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security was part of an international group that studied all of the countries and their preparedness to handle a pandemic in late 2019. The US was ranked as the best-prepared country. You can check out the Global Health Security Index at ghsindex.org. I know many don’t like to click on embedded links.
My contention is that we HAVE to take back our production of critical materials from China. When we let them come in and start buying private companies in the U.S. we made a huge mistake as well. They've stolen our technology and taken millions of American jobs with their crappy pollution and labor laws. China had no problem ramping up production of test reagents, gowns and masks because they make most of the world's supply. On top of that, Chinese companies which are government controlled use our commodity markets to their advantage and make billions manipulating them with phony purchases and cancellations. We've been bending over and taking it in the rear from them for decades.

...I will also add that every single person in our gov't, both the red and the blue people....has voted over the years the legislation necessary to allow companies to shut their doors in the States and move overseas, all of them are responsible for the fact China now has us over a barrel.....and all of them got rich doing it, so when I see any politician at the mic criticizing one man and trying to lay the blame at his feet my first thought is.."wait a minute, he's the only one who's been vocal about leveling the playing field with China, and was working on several deals to level the playing field and bring these jobs back before the virus"...and that's a fact, and I remember all the resistance a certain political party has put up every step of the way....so we have one guy on record trying to put us in a better position before the shit hit the fan with the China virus, and we have an entire gov't that allowed it to happen in the first place. So keep that in mind when climbing on your soap box to blame somebody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT