ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Williams in big time trouble now....

He's not very good at social media. Imagine the goodwill that would have been directed his way if he had taken the high road and sent support instead of what he did. He would have squashed the prior mess and gained new fans.
Yeah, it was a perfect moment for him to show character and instead he chose to take the low road once again. How can Tyjon Lindsey play for this guy?

Yeah, it was a perfect moment for him to show character and instead he chose to take the low road once again. How can Tyjon Lindsey play for this guy?

Maybe a wee bit soon to be calling out character issues of rival teams WR coaches Winking

Last edited:
Reactions: k9_r
We've heard from the Riley detractors before, he needs to take a chance on some high quality coaches even if they have shady backgrounds. The checkbook is open and all that. (This argument generally applies to recruits too).

The time is now. I think Williams can get a handle on this, Nebraska is exactly the right place as Riley noted.

Reactions: timnsun
I will say this much, seeing how the WR commits have responded is a very very good thing. It validates the sense of family that we have here and says a lot about the impact of KW on these guys and they aren't even on campus yet. Respect for KJJ and the others..
it really has nothing to do with family. the coach at calabasas is a husker. more players visit neb from there than any other high school in america even though its half a country away. its about connections and its about salesmanship.
KW relates well to kids they love social media. thats where he sells.

I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks Williams should be fired over this doesn't understand big boy football. Williams is the best WR coach in the country and one of the best recruiters to top it off. You don't just kick a coach like that to the curb if you are serious about winning.

Should there be consequences? Yes, but firing him for a misdemeanor offense is asinine.

It is kind of like speeding you get away with it 100 times and get caught once. Getting caught only means you were unlucky not that you don't repeatedly do it A.friend of mine had to hire a driver or quit drinking he hired the driver.

So basically the test results are close enough to the limit that the defense could successfully argue that the test was faulty, so the prosecutor could only charge him with careless driving.. He lucked out. He will serve no time. This one is over.

When at exactly .15, an attorney can argue that the results when you take into the account the margin of error of the machine, he could have been under the legal limit. This isn't anything new.

When the legal limit used to be .10, our prosecutors would decline to file charges or would drop the charges if the test wasn't .105 or higher, for this exact reason.

That's the disadvantage of not being on a team or sport. Don't kid yourself many college football players from homes without a male role model. These position coaches are like a father figure to many 19 year olds. America would be a much better place if everyone could go through 4 years of a college football program. Many life lessons taught. I know because I was there as an athlete and later as a coach and yes, I've impacted many because that is a bigger part of my job than teaching them how to block or tackle. If I was Coach Williams I couldn't come back a third time. I'd step away and get my life in order first. If I could prove my sobriety after 2-3 years someone would give me another chance.
You honestly can sit here and say you'd give up a $400,000/year salary just to get your life in order? And do we even know he has a drinking problem? I'm guessing a large number of posters here would blow a .15 quite a few times per year...does that mean we all have problems? If he just always calls uber everytime he drinks from now on, does he still have a problem then?

Yes, he is extremely, extremely dumb for driving afterward, but I'm not sure he has a drinking problem nor do I know how to define what a drinking problem is versus just getting drunk every once in a while....I guess I really just don't know how any of us would know that.

I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks Williams should be fired over this doesn't understand big boy football. Williams is the best WR coach in the country and one of the best recruiters to top it off. You don't just kick a coach like that to the curb if you are serious about winning.

Should there be consequences? Yes, but firing him for a misdemeanor offense is asinine.

Lol.

"Big boy football" - where questioning whether to keep a coach with not one, not two but three DUIs is "asinine". You're not serious about winning if you aren't getting multiple DUI!

When at exactly .15, an attorney can argue that the results when you take into the account the margin of error of the machine, he could have been under the legal limit. This isn't anything new.

When the legal limit used to be .10, our prosecutors would decline to file charges or would drop the charges if the test wasn't .105 or higher, for this exact reason.
yeah, I'm aware unfortunately.. that post was based on flawed info yesterday, so it's out of sequence here... but let's just say that 20+ years ago I had to show up to a Lincoln courtroom for reckless driving.

You honestly can sit here and say you'd give up a $400,000/year salary just to get your life in order? And do we even know he has a drinking problem? I'm guessing a large number of posters here would blow a .15 quite a few times per year...does that mean we all have problems? If he just always calls uber everytime he drinks from now on, does he still have a problem then?

Yes, he is extremely, extremely dumb for driving afterward, but I'm not sure he has a drinking problem nor do I know how to define what a drinking problem is versus just getting drunk every once in a while....I guess I really just don't know how any of us would know that.
3 DUI's = Drinking problem. Take a look at that mug shot. This is during fall camp! The players have an 11:00 curfew and a coach is out until 2:00 a.m. Do I want my son being coached up by a hung over coach. His chance to take Uber was last Saturday night. When you've have a loved one killed by a drunk driver your perception changes drastically. My son is being recruited by Nebraska and we are watching this very closely. I'm all for second chances, but this is not a second chance it's a fourth chance.

The best WR coach in the country? I don't think so. One of the best recruiters? I'd agree he's a dang good recruiter. Kicking him to the curb might be a lot better than the ramifications by the national media and opposing recruiters who are using this against Neb.

Reactions: Wasker77
The best WR coach in the country? I don't think so. One of the best recruiters? I'd agree he's a dang good recruiter. Kicking him to the curb might be a lot better than the ramifications by the national media and opposing recruiters who are using this against Neb.

Yes he is the best WR coach in CFB. Name another that has put as many no name recruits into the NFL. Name another that NFL players specifically go to train with during the off-season.

3 DUI's = Drinking problem. Take a look at that mug shot. This is during fall camp! The players have an 11:00 curfew and a coach is out until 2:00 a.m. Do I want my son being coached up by a hung over coach. His chance to take Uber was last Saturday night. When you've have a loved one killed by a drunk driver your perception changes drastically. My son is being recruited by Nebraska and we are watching this very closely. I'm all for second chances, but this is not a second chance it's a fourth chance.
To be honest, I'll be surprised if they keep him. To do so just comes with a lot of headaches, distractions, and even legal liability issues that won't go away any time soon. Regardless, I hope Coach Riley and the staff will reach out to you when the time is right to help move forward. #GBR

yeah, I'm aware unfortunately.. that post was based on flawed info yesterday, so it's out of sequence here... but let's just say that 20+ years ago I had to show up to a Lincoln courtroom for reckless driving.

I figured. Was getting caugh up and then noticed when it was posted.

Can't argue about the drinking problem.

My condolences for your loss. I've never been in that situation, but I've had to go deliver notifications to families, and that isn't fun. I've probably been to 20-30 falal accidents involving alcohol, and it definitely has effected my drinking. I can only hope that this incident is a wake up call to KW, regardless if he stays or goes.

Good luck on you and your son's decision.

Out until 2:00, but he was probably "working"....i.e. schmoozing with a recruit's coaches, hence the reason it was past curfew. I get your point, but it's also been almost 10 years since his last one. Does he have a drinking problem if he gets drunk twice every 10 years? Clearly I'm not saying that's the case, but how do we know how many times he's been this drunk over the past 10 years. How do we know he gets drunk any more than most other coaches across the country? If it's anything less than once/month, I don't consider that a "problem". Now, most companies clearly would (in combination with the DUI), I get that....but we'll see what happens here.

best WR coach in country? I see no awards. no championships. hardly any nfl players.
mainly a lot of tweets
he's been given 4 chances. he's been hired when no other companies would have hired him. and still messed up again.
he needs a consequence. he hasn't had ANY yet. a consequence to get his attention.
like working in another industry

best WR coach in country? I see no awards. no championships. hardly any nfl players.
mainly a lot of tweets
he's been given 4 chances. he's been hired when no other companies would have hired him. and still messed up again.
he needs a consequence. he hasn't had ANY yet. a consequence to get his attention.
like working in another industry

Explain to me why multiple NFL guys or soon to be NFL guys (guys he has never coached before) come to Lincoln to train exclusively with Coach Dub? It's because he is regarded as the best in the business. He puts 2 and 3 star players in the NFL. His wideouts are more prepared for the NFL than most due to having great technique that was instilled in them from being coached up by Dub.

Explain to me why multiple NFL guys or soon to be NFL guys (guys he has never coached before) come to Lincoln to train exclusively with Coach Dub? It's because he is regarded as the best in the business. He puts 2 and 3 star players in the NFL. His wideouts are more prepared for the NFL than most due to having great technique that was instilled in them from being coached up by Dub.
I wouldn't even bother responding to yorocco. He still doesn't understand the difference between 3 and 4...

He has a golden opportunity to talk smack against the huskers and can't even do that properly. 3 DUIs, Yo, 3 DUIs...

Still bad news in my opinion, but I can't stand people who argue with flawed facts even when it is pointed out to them by numerous other posters.

3 DUIs... Say it until it becomes second nature, Yo...

Stay or go, I don't know. My feeling from Riley's words is that he will not be fired. Done right, this can be an example to the players of how to accept responsibility and consequences for you actions and improve your life as a result.

Anyway, opening day is not far away and we are on some big time WR recruits, so a decision needs to be made very quickly one way or another so everyone knows where everyone stands.

Yes he is the best WR coach in CFB. Name another that has put as many no name recruits into the NFL. Name another that NFL players specifically go to train with during the off-season.
You do realize that you are getting trolled by Yorocco and his second account Rocket98. There is a reason you why he only likes his own posts and neither can seem to figure out that this is not a 4th DUI or fourth chance...

It's this guys m.o. he does the same thing on Twitter to Husker recruits.

Last edited:
You do realize that you are getting trolled by Yorocco and his second account Rocket98. There is a reason you why he only likes his own posts and neither can seem to figure out that this is not a 4th DUI or fourth chance...

Four citations according to reports, right? Three DUIs and another citation for an unspecified violation. Speeding? Who knows.

Well in that case since trolling is against board rules....

Four citations according to reports, right? Three DUIs and another citation for an unspecified violation. Speeding? Who knows.
"Per public records, Nebraska WR coach Keith Williams most recent citations (nature not specified) happened in 2008, 2006 & 2004."

Two of these could have been the other DUIs or none of them could be. As far as I know the nature of these citations, as reported, have not been specified and it should also be noted that they are "most recent", two important points. Williams is 45, meaning he started driving in 1987 and became drinking age in 1992.

Either way we aren't handing out "chances" for speeding/littering/J-walking or whatever.

If the nature of these citations have been specified and I missed it someone please correct me.

Last edited:
Just spoke to my nephew who just graduated UNL and is an honest stand-up kid. He says he and a bunch of other guys were at Barry's last night and were drinking with Williams. Joe Lewis was there too but not drinking. Bunch of football players there too. He says Williams did not seem drunk at all. He was drinking but wasn't, as they say, shit faced.

After the players and Lewis left my nephew and his friends kept talking to Williams. They asked him what our chances were of landing Lewis. Williams told them "almost zero." He said Lewis was "shopping himself around" and not really all that interested in what "Nebraska had to offer him"

Here's the problem with even stand up drunk nephews who are hanging around campus after they graduate.

They are often wrong. From today:

"---Nate was asked is Nebraska now the front runner for Joseph Lewis as another source had told the host? Probably the most quiet kid he has seen for a 5-star that was on campus. However, from talking to Joseph and his coaches it looks like Nebraska put themselves out in front for his commit. His visit (as you may recall) was about him feeling comfortable at Nebraska. Bottom line is he feels extremely comfortable in Lincoln. The entire coaching staff open him with open arms and he feels at home on campus and he was able to see the city of Lincoln and feel comfortable. He holds Keith Williams in high regard. Great relationship. He told Nate they talked all day and his were blown away by Lincoln and Nebraska. First time they had ever visited and much like a lot of recruits they were not really sure what to expect. They were pleasantly surprised by the city of Lincoln. Love the college town atmosphere. The head coach (of Hawkins) told Nate he would not hesitate sending any of his players to Nebraska as its place they could flourish."

Credit to Red Reign

glad no one was injured ... but this is clearly about the football program - no need to apologize

the reason we are on 6 pages and counting is that people are concerned first and foremost about the football program
If our concern is primarily the football program, the decision is an easy one ...

Glass half full post if we keep him and depending on how it's handled:

1) This gives Williams an excellent opportunity to teach his players that you can rebound from your mistakes (even repeated ones) and be the man you are supposed to be.

2) If we retain him, he feels more loyalty to Nebraska and won't be lured away as easily.

3) He won't be as attractive to other programs due to this and be here longer.

4) Recruits and parents see that NU just doesn't abandon him and tries to get him the help he needs. It shows them that they will be held accountable and won't necessarily be cut loose if they make a mistake. This makes us more attractive to them.

Reactions: sparky62
Here's the problem with even stand up drunk nephews who are hanging around campus after they graduate.

They are often wrong. From today:

"---Nate was asked is Nebraska now the front runner for Joseph Lewis as another source had told the host? Probably the most quiet kid he has seen for a 5-star that was on campus. However, from talking to Joseph and his coaches it looks like Nebraska put themselves out in front for his commit. His visit (as you may recall) was about him feeling comfortable at Nebraska. Bottom line is he feels extremely comfortable in Lincoln. The entire coaching staff open him with open arms and he feels at home on campus and he was able to see the city of Lincoln and feel comfortable. He holds Keith Williams in high regard. Great relationship. He told Nate they talked all day and his were blown away by Lincoln and Nebraska. First time they had ever visited and much like a lot of recruits they were not really sure what to expect. They were pleasantly surprised by the city of Lincoln. Love the college town atmosphere. The head coach (of Hawkins) told Nate he would not hesitate sending any of his players to Nebraska as its place they could flourish."

Credit to Red Reign
Thanks for this. If this is true (and I hope it is and suspect it is) then my nephew was wrong. He is a decent and honest kid though, which is why I trusted his information. It is possible that he misinterpreted a joke or something Williams may have made. Williams was drinking after all and may have said things in jest. I don't know. But I will talk to my nephew later today and ask him a few pointed questions. Ha

But just to set the record straight, my nephew was not "hanging around campus after he graduated". He lives downtown because his job is there. He is a responsible kid and although he likes to drink he is rarely, if ever, "stand up drunk". I have no issue whatsoever with you calling his information into question. In fact, I am glad you did. It is damn good news. But he isn't some drunken frat boy who can't let go of his college days and is now prowling campus bars getting drunk and fabricating stories to make himself look big. As I said, that is why I trusted his info. I know the info is potentially inflammatory and if I thought for a nanosecond that my nephew was just a drinken kid I would never have shared it here

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskerO and k9_r
Glass half full post if we keep him and depending on how it's handled:

1) This gives Williams an excellent opportunity to teach his players that you can rebound from your mistakes (even repeated ones) and be the man you are supposed to be.

2) If we retain him, he feels more loyalty to Nebraska and won't be lured away as easily.

3) He won't be as attractive to other programs due to this and be here longer.

4) Recruits and parents see that NU just doesn't abandon him and tries to get him the help he needs. It shows them that they will be held accountable and won't necessarily be cut loose if they make a mistake. This makes us more attractive to them.
Totally agree with this. BTW haven't seen you around here lately. Welcome back.

Totally agree with this. BTW haven't seen you around here lately. Welcome back.
Thanks, Sparky.

Been busy. I lurk a bit, but with everything else that is going on in the world today, I have a hard time caring about Husker football as much as I once did. Really, I ought to jump back in with both feet and use this as a DISTRACTION.

Reactions: sparky62
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT