ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Kelly

Does he survive this year? Why has he been so awful?

Many of us wanted him here when we were looking for a head man.
Good question. He has been awful at UCLA. Losing to Oregon State has to make his seat super hot. I wonder what his relationship to his players is like. Because his team plays like it doesn’t give a crap.

Reactions: Dean Pope
I don't have an answer to that either. When even the Beavers push you around.....

Perhaps, maybe Chip’s success at Oregon can be attributed to a high powered coaching staff. I’m guessing he has not been able to get the same level of assistants at UCLA that he had at Oregon.

IMO UCLA is a bad place to really have success coaching. Too many distractions for the players is the number one reason and then the fanbase isn't all that passionate.

Reactions: HuskerO
IMO UCLA is a bad place to really have success coaching. Too many distractions for the players is the number one reason and then the fanbase isn't all that passionate.

Yep their fans are about about as passionate about football as we are about bowling.

Reactions: bshirt73
Chip came into an established culture at Oregon, he’s never had to rebuild a program. I don’t think UCLA can afford to fire him with his 9 million dollar buyout.

Reactions: 9and4 and HuskerLLM
Chip came into an established culture at Oregon, he’s never had to rebuild a program. I don’t think UCLA can afford to fire him with his 9 million dollar buyout.

Exactly. It's a tad bit easier when you inherit a good program. Look what he did to the Eagles and 49ers.

Perhaps, maybe Chip’s success at Oregon can be attributed to a high powered coaching staff. I’m guessing he has not been able to get the same level of assistants at UCLA that he had at Oregon.

His offense was somewhat of a novelty at the time and it was hard to prepare for in a week and other teams weren't built to consistently score enough points to keep up. Since most teams run similar systems now, it comes back to defense and being able to "steal 2 to 3 extra possessions" a game. He is not a defensive guru and it doesn't look like anyone on his staff is either.

His offense was somewhat of a novelty at the time and it was hard to prepare for in a week and other teams weren't built to consistently score enough points to keep up. Since most teams run similar systems now, it comes back to defense and being able to "steal 2 to 3 extra possessions" a game. He is not a defensive guru and it doesn't look like anyone on his staff is either.

Azzinaro as DC is based on career friendship with Chip not on ability. Guy cares more about his facial hair than coaching.

The on-field struggles I can understand. His recruiting makes no sense to me though. Why don't kids want to go play for him?

Good to have this thread to put things in perspective. Frost learned a lot about offense from Chip but maybe not much about being a head coach. While I hate the way our team has played much of the season, we have a very manageable schedule the rest of the way. UCLA is sunk for this year. Glad I’m a Husker and not a Bruin.

Frost is lucky to only have Sipple and some discussion board critics. Chip has Bill Plaschke to hear from and that guy cuts like a mad surgeon.

Does he survive this year? Why has he been so awful?

Many of us wanted him here when we were looking for a head man.

Chip's an introvert. He has poor people skills. He's terse with the press and fans. He wants to sit in a room by himself and design plays. He's better suited to be an OC, but his ego drives him to be a head coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT