ADVERTISEMENT

Cancelling the season was the right decision

You are so misinformed and childish acting shouldn't you be over on the Iowa board with all your "knowledge" of people and viruses?

I'll take a guess at your age, maybe 12, 15 at the most.

It’s only important to socially distance and to wear a mask because you don’t know where the people around you have been and if they have it. If you extremely limit that fear it’s less likely to matter and can be totally ok to live a normal life which includes playing football.

Universities could easily do a hell of a job to control the players and staffs environment. People may think that’s an unfair life for these people but obviously it would be their choice to life this way if playing football was that much of a high priority. And it’s very do-able way of life for any of these as we’ve seen kids their age in the military personal live it. But it would have to be their choice and I could really see a lot of young men buying into that to play football. But they weren’t even giving the chance to discuss that and that’s awful.

I mean it’s not like there’s a lot to do right now. You give guys a chance to focus on football and school in this shit storm of 2020, and I’m thinking it could have easily been a very positive outcome. And yeah theirs always going to be a chance COVID can sneak in, but that’s where trusts steps in. That’s why you only play conference and teams you trust to heavily monitor their players. B1G has top notch medical programs. With a good conference model i think they could have extremely limited exposer. That’s where leadership comes in. Your never going eliminate anything. But do we forget FDRs famous lines?

But we don’t have leadership like FDR anymore. Can say all you want about Warren, but he failed to have a plan and that’s sad. Yes it was hard to plan for this and I understand shell shock in March and April. But good leaders react quickly from that shock. all summer long we could have talked to our players, parents, coaches, and universities medical staff on what it was going to take to make this season work.

Northwestern and Michigan have top Ten medical programs. That’s the point of a conference right? To help eachother out. Or is it truly only a revenue stream? Did they ever ask how can it work? What sacrifices need to be made by players and are they willing to do it? What’s mom and dad think? What’s our scholars say? F*ck!!!
1) Unless you can illustrate how the B1G has had a history of consulting with parents before making decisions, I don't think it's realistic to say they should be now.

2) I think one can safely assume that the players want to play.

With those things being said, I would agree that more transparency would have gone a long ways. The PAC 12 issued their report, and provided a link on their web page. While not laden with statistical information, it does lay out what they felt needed to be taking place before proceeding, and why they're not. They also have a link that lists the members of their advisory group.

So far, they haven't come under the same scrutiny. Now, we can slam that conference all we want due to their lack of football prowess as of late (although...the B1G went 1-5 against the PAC 12 during the 2019 season). However, I don't believe for a minute that a football parent at Nebraska has a stronger desire to see their kid compete than does a swimming parent at Stanford.

Last edited:
Reactions: rutgersal
Actually, if we followed the CDC guidelines, we probably could quell the virus and no we wouldn't all have to exposed to the virus.

1. Social Distance
2. Wear a Mask
3. Wash your hands often
4. Be smart about crowds.

And if you enclose yourself in a bubble and never leave your home, you may also never get equally deadly bugs, such as the seasonal flu.

To be extra safe, you should also never drive a car again. Every time you get behind the wheel you're putting your life and everyone else's life in danger. Only a terrible person would continue to drive knowing full well that a deadly accident can happen at any time.

The mere fact that you are even comparing it to the flu shows that you have absolutely no understanding on how this virus attacks each individual and continues to mutate. The flu never put my healthy daughter in the hospital and near death while moving through her body and attacking different organs almost the entire time. Body aches to the point of not being able to wear almost St s

While I am not as hard line and agree with masking and distancing, I ended up in an ER with the flu at 15 where I was literally unable to physically walk. Had pneumonia and took weeks to recover (fortunately I only spent about 18 hours in the ER and didn’t have to be admitted after several rounds of IV treatment.

Your mileage may vary with the flu or COVID

Last edited:
While we am not as hard line and agree with masking and distancing, I ended up in an ER with the flu at 15 where I was literally unable to physically walk. Had pneumonia and took weeks to recover (fortunately I only spent about 18 hours in the ER and didn’t have to be admitted after several rounds of IV treatment.

Your mileage may vary with the flu or COVID
The most damaging thing that has come out of this is that people are diminishing the flu even more than they used to. I had hoped for the opposite reaction.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
And if you enclose yourself in a bubble and never leave your home, you may also never get equally deadly bugs, such as the seasonal flu.

To be extra safe, you should also never drive a car again. Every time you get behind the wheel you're putting your life and everyone else's life in danger. Only a terrible person would continue to drive knowing full well that a deadly accident can happen at any time.
Far cry between staying in a bubble and doing 4 things that really aren't that hard to do.....and people act like they are.

Yeah...there are risks with driving....but not as many as there would be if we have no speed limits, traffic laws, allowed drunk driving, and cars didn't have windshield wipers.

Far cry between staying in a bubble and doing 4 things that really aren't that hard to do.....and people act like they are.

Yeah...there are risks with driving....but not as many as there would be if we have no speed limits, traffic laws, allowed drunk driving, and cars didn't have windshield wipers.
Hey @Nebraska_Reality, it’s time to play that game again where I ask you in multiple threads to provide one supportive post of the huskers. You’re a husker fan, shouldn’t be too hard, right?

Reactions: scarletred
Going back to the classroom or attending frat parties won't put stress on the bodies organs like practicing or playing full contact football. There is a very real possibility that there could be long term effects from damage caused by this unpredictable disease. My daughter who is also an athlete became very sick in early April and didn't recover enough to begin fully exercising until mid May still has episodes of fatigue and shortness of breath from when she was sick.

Time for all this foolishness and selfishness from some of you that think the coronavirus is similar to a strain of the flu and isn't particularly or especially dangerous to people. Athletes push themselves harder than most people realise and some athletes are going to get extremely sick, even die if not careful or protected from unnecessary risk.

The cost of not playing sports for one season is nothing when compared to the potential damage to these young athletes bodies or even loss of any life.
You obviously haven't been to too many frat parties.Winking My 58 year old internist came down with COVID. He was off work for a couple of days until he re-tested negative. He got it from his 21 year old daughter who was home from college..... Kind of funny. He's taken care of COVID patients for months and stayed healthy, then boom his college girl comes home and he gets COVID and she doesn't even play football...:rolleyes:

1) Unless you can illustrate how the B1G has had a history of consulting with parents before making decisions, I don't think it's realistic to say they should be now..

this is awful.

so let me kick it right back to you with your logic, “Unless you can illustrate how the B1G has had a history of cancelling the football season, I don't think it's realistic to say they should be now.”

Reactions: OzzyLvr and timnsun
At this point it isn’t a question of what is the right or wrong decision - playing - wide open bars, etc etc may ultimately be proven to have been safe - the question is what degree of certainty does one need to proceed

If you are standing on a cliff over a body of water and contemplating whether to jump or not and you know there is a 50% chance the depth of the water is 30 feet and 50% chance it is 3 feet - a large group decides they are going to jump and another group decides they are going to wait for more info

If the depth proves to be 30 feet - did the group who decided to jump make the wise decision?

Youth Baseball and Softball, Travel Basketball teams, NBA, NHL and MLB have already jumped. It's deep but there will never be enough info for some people.

Reactions: OzzyLvr

A far cry? Not really. One undeniable fact exposed by this plandemic is that if made sufficiently scared, most people will do just about anything that the government deems as being "essential to safety". There are a few States/Cities just a step or two away from this.

"4 things that really aren't that hard to do..." Tell that to all the people who lost their business to this scam. Tell that to all the people who couldn't be by their loved-one's side in their final moments because of this scam. Tell that to all the people who couldn't hold proper funerals for their loved-ones (except for the politically connected ones).

This world will never be rid of viruses. There will always be something out there that can make you sick. If those 4 things aren't "that hard to do", then you should do the right thing and do those 4 things for the rest of your life. We don't need you out there possibly spreading your germs to us.

I have seen hundreds of college football players hurt in practice or game and have their life changed forever because of it.

I guess we should all just hang up the cleats because one story someone had a bad case for a couple weeks and "might" have a heart problem.

How about this? As an INDIVIDUAL, you get to choose if you want to play or not.....just like it was before the virus. For ****'s sake, there is evidence on the opposite side saying we need herd immunity or we will never beat it. Sweden is nearly done with this thing as we speak.

The players are vocally unafraid of catching it pal. You think they believe they are immune? It takes maturity to evaluate risk, and you fail to recognize real risk. Everything you do in life comes with risk. "Having lost a friend" tactic is bullshit.

What do you mean BS?

I get paid very well to recognize risk and that’s why I am very concerned. I think they discount the risk. At 22, I would have done the same.

No BS here. Here’s his obituary. Granted he was older but it still sucks.

https://www.barbarafalowski.com/obituaries/Noel-Debraganza?obId=17546751

What do you mean BS?

I get paid very well to recognize risk and that’s why I am very concerned. I think they discount the risk. At 22, I would have done the same.

What risk? Someone had a tough time with it and thinks they may have heart problems. OK.

There are tens of millions of other young people that got it and had no symptoms and no effects.

Evaluate that risk. Don't bring up a dead 72 year old friend. Let me guess, you would advice locking down nursing homes in Scottsdale, AZ for an AIDS epidemic in the downtown LA gay club scene.

Reactions: c3o
What do you mean BS?

They guy may have died from covid, maybe something else at his age. Again, your friend means jack to me or honestly anyone else that doesnt know him. He doesn't move the needle. Now if troves of young healthy people were dropping left and right we would be in a different situation. For every 1000 people on the side of facts and logic there is 1 guy crying about his anectodal experience. You are trying to cloud the issue by evoking emotion and empathy. Your 72 year old friend died. Shocker. Callus I know. But realistic. Same as someone with no stance on guns crying to ban them once someone they know has an issue with them. The fundamentals get lost in emotion.

Reactions: c3o
A far cry? Not really. One undeniable fact exposed by this plandemic is that if made sufficiently scared, most people will do just about anything that the government deems as being "essential to safety". There are a few States/Cities just a step or two away from this.

"4 things that really aren't that hard to do..." Tell that to all the people who lost their business to this scam. Tell that to all the people who couldn't be by their loved-one's side in their final moments because of this scam. Tell that to all the people who couldn't hold proper funerals for their loved-ones (except for the politically connected ones).

This world will never be rid of viruses. There will always be something out there that can make you sick. If those 4 things aren't "that hard to do", then you should do the right thing and do those 4 things for the rest of your life. We don't need you out there possibly spreading your germs to us.

^amen

Also, all the people talking about wearing a mask. Why?

It is common sense that wearing a mask does not stop the virus. And it can easily be proven with any of these masks people wear and a vape pen.
LOL masks help stop the spread of the virus. Don't be an idiot.

Putting aside the question of whether they should play or not

Explain how players have the right to play college football as long as they know the risks - do they have a lawful or constitutional right that mandates the NCAA-conferences and universities provide them the opportunity to play football?

That will be decided by the courts. I'm guessing it will fall under the right to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness in some way or another. We are going to see plenty of lawsuits from small businesses and others who have been banned from working. I wouldn't be surprised if some college athletes don't bring lawsuits for their lost ability to play. I think that will be a near certainty if eligibility isn't extended.

Unfortunately, all these despotic politicians and health officials are playing with house money. If these lawsuits are successful, guess who's money is used to pay up? Not the officials' money. It will be taxpayer money! Brilliant.

Your apparent attitude that the government's ability to arbitrarily implement restrictions, mandate closures of business, and cancel school, sports seasons, et. al. are more compelling than an individual's right to make decisions for himself is really, really troublesome. The unfortunate reality is that there are so many people like you who are willing to give up those rights in the pursuit of safety. As Benjamin Franklin famously said, you are going to end up losing both your liberty and your safety. If you don't see how rapidly that has happened in the last 4 months, I doubt you ever will.

Last edited:
Ahh yes, that's why scientific journals say masks do nothing. That's why doctors say not to wear them. That's why researchers say there is no benefit.

At least they did until the magical wuflu made politicians think virtue signaling would somehow help.
LOL get a grip

They guy may have died from covid, maybe something else at his age. Again, your friend means jack to me or honestly anyone else that doesnt know him. He doesn't move the needle. Now if troves of young healthy people were dropping left and right we would be in a different situation. For every 1000 people on the side of facts and logic there is 1 guy crying about his anectodal experience. You are trying to cloud the issue by evoking emotion and empathy. Your 72 year old friend died. Shocker. Callus I know. But realistic. Same as someone with no stance on guns crying to ban them once someone they know has an issue with them. The fundamentals get lost in emotion.

I brought up the example not to appeal for sympathy, because I already knew you wouldn’t care, but only because you questioned my veracity.
I don’t have to BS, because the facts stand on their own. While small in number, too many young people are dying from COViD.

The fundamental issue is that there is no guarantee that kids won’t get coronavirus when they play college football, and there’s no guarantee they will be safe, especially because college football is a contact sport. You can talk about low percentages and low risks, but at the end of the day, the risk is not zero, period, end of story.

it’s not your admitted callousness that bothers me but your lack of empathy is disappointing. It really sounds like college football players are expendable to you and you care more about your own entertainment, than for the health, well being, and safety of the players. You choose to simply ignore the risks. My profession trains me to have a contingency plan for every possible outcome. That’s why I’m focused on risks because risk mitigation is part of my job.

What if only one person passed away. You would write them off as collateral damage. it sure sounds like playing the season would be justified in your mind. And while I don’t agree with the sentiment, I understand it. After all these were adult kids making adult decisions. Or so your thought process would go.

I love college football as much as anyone else. But I draw the line at risking hospitalizations and death.
People saying no one is going to die and no one is going to be hospitalized does nothing to assuage my fears. All it takes is 1 player to get it, and the virus will spread like wildfire on the team. Rutgers, Clemson are a few of the teams that had to deal with this, thankfully with no ramifications. But all it takes is one player with the wrong reaction, which would make playing the season a very bad idea. That’s simply a bridge too far for me.

Thats a family that will have to suffer. And sad to say, having lived in NY, I’ve witnessed way too much suffering. I don’t need any more. But I understand you feel differently and that’s fair enough.

I brought up the example not to appeal for sympathy, because I already knew you wouldn’t care, but only because you questioned my veracity.
I don’t have to BS, because the facts stand on their own. While small in number, too many young people are dying from COViD.

The fundamental issue is that there is no guarantee that kids won’t get coronavirus when they play college football, and there’s no guarantee they will be safe, especially because college football is a contact sport. You can talk about low percentages and low risks, but at the end of the day, the risk is not zero, period, end of story.

it’s not your admitted callousness that bothers me but your lack of empathy is disappointing. It really sounds like college football players are expendable to you and you care more about your own entertainment, than for the health, well being, and safety of the players. You choose to simply ignore the risks. My profession trains me to have a contingency plan for every possible outcome. That’s why I’m focused on risks because risk mitigation is part of my job.

What if only one person passed away. You would write them off as collateral damage. it sure sounds like playing the season would be justified in your mind. And while I don’t agree with the sentiment, I understand it. After all these were adult kids making adult decisions. Or so your thought process would go.

I love college football as much as anyone else. But I draw the line at risking hospitalizations and death.
People saying no one is going to die and no one is going to be hospitalized does nothing to assuage my fears. All it takes is 1 player to get it, and the virus will spread like wildfire on the team. Rutgers, Clemson are a few of the teams that had to deal with this, thankfully with no ramifications. But all it takes is one player with the wrong reaction, which would make playing the season a very bad idea. That’s simply a bridge too far for me.

Thats a family that will have to suffer. And sad to say, having lived in NY, I’ve witnessed way too much suffering. I don’t need any more. But I understand you feel differently and that’s fair enough.
its-over-go-home.gif

Reactions: BigRedRising

Washing your hands didn't cause anyone to lose their business.

Wearing a mask didn't cause anyone to lose their business.

Avoiding political rallies/ protests didn't cause anyone to lose their business.

Staying 6' from strangers didn't cause anyone to lose their business.

"Tell that to all the people who couldn't be by their loved-one's side in their final moments because of this scam."

Don't forget the 170,000 people that have died from this "scam" that you called, that were also alone. Kind of disrespectful to the deceased and their families to say that those people died of a scam.

Last edited:
Hey @Nebraska_Reality, it’s time to play that game again where I ask you in multiple threads to provide one supportive post of the huskers. You’re a husker fan, shouldn’t be too hard, right?
GBR!

What does that have to do with my post?

And...I've never said what was and wasn't the right decision. Time will tell. What I do know is that neither you nor I will be on the hook for it, so I'm not going to be too critical of it, aside from not being as transparent as the PAC 12 was.

this is awful.

so let me kick it right back to you with your logic, “Unless you can illustrate how the B1G has had a history of cancelling the football season, I don't think it's realistic to say they should be now.”
Yep...pretty easy to run off at the keyboard when you won't be on the hook, huh.....

this is awful.

No.....not awful.....just a post you didn't like.

Yep...pretty easy to run off at the keyboard when you won't be on the hook, huh.....

You run off at the computer all the time. Except you never give your opinion. You just spout the opinions of others. Then when someone questions it, you just write, I didn't make the decision talk to those who did.

I think that is a whole lot easier to do than actually having an opinion on a topic and defending that opinion.

No.....not awful.....just a post you didn't like.
Your post was extremely hypocritical.

And as far as - “pretty easy to run off”. I don’t know if you are saying I won’t be on the hook for my words to you or if your saying it’s easy to make these choices on a message board. First off, let me welcome you to 1999 and the new crazy world called message boards on the world wide web

0056b275f66d5fce538e657013a228d1efa1f467.gifv

Show some proof.
You seem like an open-minded bloke without an agenda. Here you go....

"Face Masks Against COVID-19: An Evidence Review"

Jeremy Howard, Austin Huang, Zhiyuan Lik, Zeynep Tufekci, Zdimal Vladimir, Helene-Mari van der Westhuizen, Arne von Delft,, Amy Price, Lex Fridmand, Lei-Han Tang,, Viola Tang, Gregory L. Watson, Christina E. Baxs, Reshama Shaikh, Frederik Questier, Danny Hernandez, Larry F. Chu, Christina M. Ramirez, and Anne W. Rimoint

"Our review of the literature offers evidence in favor of widespread mask use to reduce community transmission: nonmedical masks use materials that obstruct droplets of the necessary size; people are most infectious in the initial period post-infection, where it is common to have few or no symptoms(10–16); non-medical masks have been effective in reducing transmission of influenza; non-medical masks have been shown to be effective in small trials at blocking transmission of coronavirus; and places and time periods where mask usage is required or widespread have shown substantially lower community transmission."

files.fast.ai/papers/masks_lit_review.pdf

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT