ADVERTISEMENT

Cancelling the season was the right decision

You seem like an open-minded bloke without an agenda. Here you go....

"Face Masks Against COVID-19: An Evidence Review"

Jeremy Howard, Austin Huang, Zhiyuan Lik, Zeynep Tufekci, Zdimal Vladimir, Helene-Mari van der Westhuizen, Arne von Delft,, Amy Price, Lex Fridmand, Lei-Han Tang,, Viola Tang, Gregory L. Watson, Christina E. Baxs, Reshama Shaikh, Frederik Questier, Danny Hernandez, Larry F. Chu, Christina M. Ramirez, and Anne W. Rimoint

"Our review of the literature offers evidence in favor of widespread mask use to reduce community transmission: nonmedical masks use materials that obstruct droplets of the necessary size; people are most infectious in the initial period post-infection, where it is common to have few or no symptoms(10–16); non-medical masks have been effective in reducing transmission of influenza; non-medical masks have been shown to be effective in small trials at blocking transmission of coronavirus; and places and time periods where mask usage is required or widespread have shown substantially lower community transmission."

files.fast.ai/papers/masks_lit_review.pdf

I ask for proof and you provide a ****ing opinion piece from a bunch of partisan retards? Are you ****ing kidding me.

And how do they arrive at these conclusions?

Do they use studies? Noooooooo. That'd be scientific.

What then?

Oh they use MODELS!!! LMFAO And guess who they cite? Neil Ferguson!!!! The same Neil Ferguson who had to resign at the Imperial College of London, best known for his massively failed models or having an affair during his own ridiculous guidelines.

From the editorial:

"Models suggest that public mask wearing is most effective at stopping spread of the virus when compliance is high."

So they have no evidence of their claims.

And:

"Efficacy of face masks within local interventions would have an aggregate effect on the reproduction number of the epidemic. What is the magnitude of such an effect? The HKBU COVID-19 Modelling Group developed a transmission model that incorporated mask wearing and mask efficacy as a factor in the model."

Again, no evidence.

If you were wondering if it was only a little bullshit, or an entire feed lot of bullshit after the cattle had been overfed for a month straight, fear not, they spell it out for us:

"Another important benefit of recommending universal mask wearing would be to serve as a visible signal and re-minder of the pandemic, and given the importance of ritual and solidarity in human societies (70), it is plausible that visible, public signaling via mask wearing can potentially in-crease compliance with other health measures as well, such as keeping distance and hand-washing."

There it is. IT'S A ****ING VIRTUE SIGNAL!!! Like we need a ****ing reminder

If I were you, I'd wear a mask too. Not because they stop viruses, but because I'd be so ashamed I peddled this garbage.

I ask for proof and you provide a ****ing opinion piece from a bunch of partisan retards? Are you ****ing kidding me.

What then?

Oh they use MODELS!!! LMFAO And guess who they cite? Neil Ferguson!!!! The same Neil Ferguson who had to resign at the Imperial College of London, best known for his massively failed models or having an affair during his own ridiculous guidelines.

From the editorial:

"Models suggest that public mask wearing is most effective at stopping spread of the virus when compliance is high."

And:

"Efficacy of face masks within local interventions would have an aggregate effect on the reproduction number of the epidemic. What is the magnitude of such an effect? The HKBU COVID-19 Modelling Group developed a transmission model that incorporated mask wearing and mask efficacy as a factor in the model."

Again, no evidence.

If you were wondering if it was only a little bullshit, or an entire feed lot of bullshit after the cattle had been overfed for a month straight, fear not, they spell it out for us:

"Another important benefit of recommending universal mask wearing would be to serve as a visible signal and re-minder of the pandemic, and given the importance of ritual and solidarity in human societies (70), it is plausible that visible, public signaling via mask wearing can potentially in-crease compliance with other health measures as well, such as keeping distance and hand-washing."

If I were you, I'd wear a mask too. Not because they stop viruses, but because I'd be so ashamed I peddled this garbage.
LOL get back on your meds.

In my best Principal Vernon (The Breakfast Club, for you youngins) voice ....

I expected a little more from a varsity product tester.

Smart-Quotes-50661-statusmind.com.jpg

You're right. I will stop arguing with you immediately.... ha ha ha ha Got Him
His main proposition is that face coverings have absolutely no utility in the middle of a highly contageous novel virus pandemic. Also, no doctors are presently recommending their use.

You take it from here.

His main proposition is that face coverings have absolutely no utility in the middle of a highly contageous novel virus pandemic. Also, no doctors are presently recommending their use.

You take it from here.
If only we had known in the 50s that masks could stop a virus. Wouldn't have needed the polio vaccine. Smallpox knocking on the door? Hold up son, I'm wearing cloth over my mouth so I'm good. My n95 makes cholera my bitch.

If only we had known in the 50s that masks could stop a virus. Wouldn't have needed the polio vaccine. Smallpox knocking on the door? Hold up son, I'm wearing cloth over my mouth so I'm good. My n95 makes cholera my bitch.
Masks help limit the spread of the virus. Nothing I've read claims that masks completely stop the virus, as you stated. Wear a mask, social distance, practice good hygiene. This is the recommendation of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Do you disagree?

Reactions: dinglefritz
Masks help limit the spread of the virus. Nothing I've read claims that masks completely stop the virus, as you stated. Wear a mask, social distance, practice good hygiene. This is the recommendation of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Do you disagree?

Limit? No. Slow down the spread? 1000% agree. Masks buy us time, that's it. I wish people understood that.

I think the point is that masks as worn by the vast majority of Americans, are doing very little to slow the spread. The problem is that people think that if they have a mask they're protected so they get up close and stand around and chat. It's a false sense of security.

The best RCT studies show no statistical advantage to stopping disease spread by wearing a mask. Oh, and those studies were done on people who actually know how to wear a mask correctly.

I think the point is that masks as worn by the vast majority of Americans, are doing very little to slow the spread. The problem is that people think that if they have a mask they're protected so they get up close and stand around and chat. It's a false sense of security.

This isn't even an honest representation of mask use.

To have any impact everyone would have to wear a properly fit tested n95 mask. They'd have to constantly be changed out due to contamination.This is impossible and will not work.

Yet anything is allowed and it doesn't matter the fit, or efficacy. It's a virtue signal for people's feelings.

You want to wear a bandana? Sure go ahead. How about a Husker scarf? By all means. How about a super porous nylon neck gaiter? You betcha.

I almost feel bad for people like you.

Common sense should tell us that if we already have a respiratory illness that affects oxygen exchange the worst thing we can possibly do is mechanically restrict it even more.

Does mask help slow the spread? Absolutely. If you've got a breathing issue of any kind though, you're basically hurting yourself by wearing one, especially if you catch it.

Masks are creating this weird self confidence in people that they feel like wearing one makes them safe. Maybe along with wearing a mask, people should buy a blood-oxygen test kit, which are super cheap so you can monitor your health in a much more effective way than just thinking that a mask is saving you and the planet.

Reactions: OzzyLvr

To have any impact everyone would have to wear a properly fit tested n95 mask. They'd have to constantly be changed out due to contamination.This is impossible and will not work.

Yet anything is allowed and it doesn't matter the fit, or efficacy. It's a virtue signal for people's feelings.

You want to wear a bandana? Sure go ahead. How about a Husker scarf? By all means. How about a super porous nylon neck gaiter? You betcha.

I've been wearing one of my daughter's headbands. It's very colorful.

Reactions: GBRforLife1
At issue is whether face coverings have any utility at all.

Would you agree that when utilized properly, in conjunction with other safety guidelines promulgated by the CDC, face masks help slow the spread of this virus?

I'd be interested in seeing if there are any statistics on transmission for Muslim women that wear a burka.

I wear a surgical mask pilfered from my wife after she uses it at work. A few minutes on the truck dash and it's good to go. The only thing my surgical mask or the crappy cloth things people are wearing does is to limit droplets. I'm amazed how much some people spray when the talk. THAT is the primary means of spread of the virus. In order to contract the virus while you have a surgical mask on via aerosols, the rule of thumb is 15 minutes within 6 feet of an infected person. In other words if the person on the plane next to you has the rona, you're screwed even if you wear you mask. IF the person passing you in the aisle and you both have a mask on and she coughs as she passes by, YOU're probably protected from getting the rona from her. Personally, when I go somewhere and I get a funny look from non-mask wearers I say, "my wife cares for COVID patients. I'm wearing this to protect you".

Reactions: nu2u
LOL get back on your meds.
Lawd, I gotta hand it to you in this thread.

Despite getting absolutely backhanded and pulverized, you just stick right to dem guns and refuse to budge an ounce.
This level of denial and refusal to find any actual truth hasnt been seen since a senile Lou Holtz said an 8-4 Notre Dame team should be in the national championship game.

Bravo.

Reactions: GBRforLife1
Lawd, I gotta hand it to you in this thread.

Despite getting absolutely backhanded and pulverized, you just stick right to dem guns and refuse to budge an ounce.
This level of denial and refusal to find any actual truth hasnt been seen since a senile Lou Holtz said an 8-4 Notre Dame team should be in the national championship game.

Bravo.
If you look back you will see that the only reason I stepped into this thread was to challenge the proposition that face masks have absolutely no value, no useful purpose.

I guess I'll just have revert to a plain and simple question: do you agree or disagree with the guidelines (wear a mask, socially distance, practice good hygiene) as set forth by the CDC?

I guess I'll just have revert to a plain and simple question: do you agree or disagree with the guidelines (wear a mask, socially distance, practice good hygiene) as set forth by the CDC?

It does not matter what a person thinks, feels, or agrees with. It matters what is supported by evidence.

FFS some people "agree" elephant dung is a Covid cure. Are you going to go around promoting that?

https://nypost.com/2020/08/18/namibia-warns-about-elephant-dung-cure-for-coronavirus-as-cases-rise/

What then?

From the editorial:

And:

Again, no evidence.

What do you expect? He's a sheeple that thinks anyone who doesnt go to college is, quote, "a ditch digger". He's spoon fed bullshit and then regurgitates it for us as though it's his own thoughts

It does not matter what a person thinks, feels, or agrees with. It matters what is supported by evidence.

FFS some people "agree" elephant dung is a Covid cure. Are you going to go around promoting that?

https://nypost.com/2020/08/18/namibia-warns-about-elephant-dung-cure-for-coronavirus-as-cases-rise/
Hey man, our exchanges on this subject have been a little heated. There are a lot of hot debates nowadays around this virus. I regret the personal invectives I directed at you in this thread.

Bottom line: I believe the recommended face coverings are useful in this Covid-19 pandemic and I have chosen to follow the scientific guidelines promulgated by the CDC and similar recommendations of other like minded medical professionals I understand your position to be the opposite. I accept that. I'm moving on.

Reactions: ATX Husker
What do you expect? He's a sheeple that thinks anyone who doesnt go to college is, quote, "a ditch digger". He's spoon fed bullshit and then regurgitates it for us as though it's his own thoughts
I never said that "anyone who doesn't go to college is a ditch digger". You can search (I invite you to do so) but you will not find that statement in any comment that I have posted on this site, or anywhere else for that matter.

so the question is, “are you willing to risk players lives for entertainment?” If only .04% of college football players die, that’s 5 players, assuming roughly 13 Div 1 teams * 105 players=13,650 players. 13,650*.0004= 5 players.

For me, 1 player is too many.
Again, people die, right? Ban cars, ban alcohol, ban cigs, ban gambling, ban fishing (seen videos of anglers being stabbed by marlin and die?), ban walking across the street, ban walking on the sidewalk and ban walking anywhere (trip and falls that lead to death), ban life!!! Getting the point yet?

Reactions: bshirt73
Again, people die, right? Ban cars, ban alcohol, ban cigs, ban gambling, ban fishing (seen videos of anglers being stabbed by marlin and die?), ban walking across the street, ban walking on the sidewalk and ban walking anywhere (trip and falls that lead to death), ban life!!! Getting the point yet?

Ban fast food, ban other healthy things as 800K die of heart disease each year.

Reactions: bshirt73
Reactions: timnsun
I continue to advocate for Americans to follow the CDC science guidelines with regard to mask usage. If you consider that position "a hole", so be it.
Again, the problem with masks as being used today is that it promotes a feeling of safety which allows people to ignore social distancing guidelines. Watch any MLB game. The masks they're wearing are a joke. I was watching the Brewers last night. Their manager pulled his mask down, picked his nose, wiped it on his shirt then pulled his mask back up... It's a joke. Masks if worn correctly may help prevent droplet spread which is the number one means of transmission. The problem is the way many people behave when wearing one.

Washing your hands didn't cause anyone to lose their business.

Wearing a mask didn't cause anyone to lose their business.

Avoiding political rallies/ protests didn't cause anyone to lose their business.

Staying 6' from strangers didn't cause anyone to lose their business.

"Tell that to all the people who couldn't be by their loved-one's side in their final moments because of this scam."

Don't forget the 170,000 people that have died from this "scam" that you called, that were also alone. Kind of disrespectful to the deceased and their families to say that those people died of a scam.

170,000 people died 'with' covid (supposedly), not 'from' it. Big difference.

There's reason to suspect that this number is inflated (people dying from motorcycle accidents being added to the list, others added if doctors simply suspect that the patient was infected, etc.), but lets assume for now that it's accurate; that 170,000 people have actually passed away while having an active covid infection. How many of them would still be alive today but for covid? We'll never know the true answer, but judging by what we know now, that the mortality rate is much less than 1%, it's safe to assume that the vast majority of these people would have died anyway.

What makes this a scam is that every day we're learning more and more that this virus is no more deadly than any of the previous 'pandemics' that we've witnessed over the past couple decades, yet local governments and the media continue to lie about it and use it to further their political agenda.

ADVERTISEMENT