ADVERTISEMENT

Can we get a college video game again please (NIL update)

I'm so pumped about this and I hope it doesn't take years to get a game. I also still play NCAA 14 (It's the only game I play). It's honestly still a really solid game. The graphics are just a bit dated. But 14 is the year they fixed recruiting so it doesn't take FOREVER. And the game play is smooth. I get the updated rosters every year but it doesn't beat getting a new game. The playoff addition alone would make it worth it!

There are like 15,000 FBS college football players. No way EA Sports could pay all of them and still make a profit, especially when they have to pay for licensing rights to all 130 FBS schools. So I would be surprised if they make another college football video game.

There are like 15,000 FBS college football players. No way EA Sports could pay all of them and still make a profit, especially when they have to pay for licensing rights to all 130 FBS schools. So I would be surprised if they make another college football video game.

EA has said they are ready and willing when they had the ability too again. I'm sure the army of lawyers they have can build uniform likeness agreements. These are high school/college kids who are going to be stoked to be in the game to start with.

If 2021 doesn't have a NCAA football title I'll be surprised.

I'm so pumped about this and I hope it doesn't take years to get a game. I also still play NCAA 14 (It's the only game I play). It's honestly still a really solid game. The graphics are just a bit dated. But 14 is the year they fixed recruiting so it doesn't take FOREVER. And the game play is smooth. I get the updated rosters every year but it doesn't beat getting a new game. The playoff addition alone would make it worth it!
I know it’s a little detail, but actual college entrances would be cool as well.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
I don’t think the game will have to pay 15,000 college students... remember the kids can only benefit from their likeness... so EA could get a handful of the top kids to sign agreements and then make just generic builds... where EA got in trouble was using the number for the players and where they were from... it is simple to make a random generic roster and then let the people mod the games and edit players through roster sharing...

Hopefully the return of NCAA Football video games won't be far behind. I still play the last one but I get tired of it pretty quickly. Always liked the college one better than Madden.

I still have more fun with NCAA 14 than I do with any of the newer Madden games (haven't played this year's). The fact that NCAA 14 has a coaching carousel and Madden still doesn't have any variation of it is crazy.

Im jacked too. I also still play. I was so pissed when they shut down teambuilder.

I suspect there will be some sort of union / collective bargaining thing where EA bids for the use of ALL the likenesses for all of the NCAA players, and the players all get an equal share. Certain marquis players could opt not to join, and force EA to negotiate separately with them or be left out. I doubt this is going to be a big moneymaker for athletes, except for the dudes the get to be on the cover / poster.

Reactions: Top_Gun_
I suspect there will be some sort of union / collective bargaining thing where EA bids for the use of ALL the likenesses for all of the NCAA players, and the players all get an equal share. Certain marquis players could opt not to join, and force EA to negotiate separately with them or be left out. I doubt this is going to be a big moneymaker for athletes, except for the dudes the get to be on the cover / poster.
For Madden, the NFLPA is paid for using the players names and then they mail each player a check. Pat McAfee talked about it on his podcast. It must not be very much because McAfee said he never cashed the checks.

These athletes will get paid a lot more from social media as influencers for brands than anything else

Reactions: BleedRed78

Unbelievable...NIL is going to fundamentally change college football over the next ten years and most likely not for the better and everyone on here is exceited about a video game.

These athletes will get paid a lot more from social media as influencers for brands than anything else

This will be a mess as well. Clemson, for example, already bans social media for their players during football season. Does this mean a player that wants to profit off of social media would go somewhere else? Probably. I cannot believe the NCAA caved to California and their extreme lawmaking. NCAA football, as we know it, is going to change drastically. And not for the better, IMO.

This will be a mess as well. Clemson, for example, already bans social media for their players during football season. Does this mean a player that wants to profit off of social media would go somewhere else? Probably. I cannot believe the NCAA caved to California and their extreme lawmaking. NCAA football, as we know it, is going to change drastically. And not for the better, IMO.
It was only a matter of time before this was going to happen. Personally, I don't think it will really be near the cash cow that everyone thinks it will be. These kids have 20 hours a week minimum of football. Then they have 12 hours of class a week. Probably another 10 hours of homework or study hall. another few hours of watching film on their own. There already probably spending 50 hours a week on football and school related stuff. They aren't gonna have the time to devote to making a bunch of money on the side. This will be for the top 1% of players. Take Nebraska for example. Other than Wan'dale do you see any business owner wanting any of our players for a commercial or an autograph signing? I doubt it. Are people really going to buy a bunch of protein powder from Mo Barry's instagram? Probably not. Sure if you're a Tua or a Trevor Lawrence you'll make a lot of coin but those are 2 guys out 11000 FBS scholarship football players not to mention the 3600 ncaa basketball players, there are a lot of kids competing for a piece of the pie, and they are now going to be competing with professionals for these endorsements. They don't stand a chance. The NCAA doesn't have to pay the kids a nickel they aren't losing out on profits. It was better to give them this now than have to fork over a share of revenue.

It was only a matter of time before this was going to happen. Personally, I don't think it will really be near the cash cow that everyone thinks it will be. These kids have 20 hours a week minimum of football. Then they have 12 hours of class a week. Probably another 10 hours of homework or study hall. another few hours of watching film on their own. There already probably spending 50 hours a week on football and school related stuff. They aren't gonna have the time to devote to making a bunch of money on the side. This will be for the top 1% of players. Take Nebraska for example. Other than Wan'dale do you see any business owner wanting any of our players for a commercial or an autograph signing? I doubt it. Are people really going to buy a bunch of protein powder from Mo Barry's instagram? Probably not. Sure if you're a Tua or a Trevor Lawrence you'll make a lot of coin but those are 2 guys out 11000 FBS scholarship football players not to mention the 3600 ncaa basketball players, there are a lot of kids competing for a piece of the pie, and they are now going to be competing with professionals for these endorsements. They don't stand a chance. The NCAA doesn't have to pay the kids a nickel they aren't losing out on profits. It was better to give them this now than have to fork over a share of revenue.
Well said. Along with California a dozen other states have initiated legislation to allow it, the ncaa needed to address it sooner rather than later.

Good, we can recruit those players here instead. Omaha and Lincoln have plenty of businesses like dealerships, Hy-Vee, etc who will gladly pay for more than just top notch starters to help represent then. Bring on the talent!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT