ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking Down Nebraska's Scott Frost vs. Iowa's Kirk Ferentz (Athlon)

Cornhusker journalist chooses Frost........shocker....
While your assessment of this article is correct in that the author is a Husker journalist, this is based on the Athlon article (national publication) that chose Frost ahead of Ferentz. Let me say it again... Athlon chose Frost ahead of Ferentz. The author of this article presents a case for why Athlon has chosen Frost ahead of Ferentz.

Here is the article of the non Husker journalist who chose Frost over Ferentz...

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-big-tens-college-football-coaches-2018

Not terribly surprised you struggled to comprehend this...

Can’t wait to see your brilliant retort to this...

He is!! Google is your friend....

Yep, I googled it. And your right. Google is my friend. And showed me indeed that Athlonsports.com is an unbiased sports page. I get what your trying to say, yes the OP is a Husker fan. But the info he got and posted was from an unbiased sports site. Again, only Iowa fans love and want Kirk. You can keep that group of clowns. I’ll take Frost and his staff any day of the week of that crap fest in Iowa.

it don't matter, they will be coming in bunches soon enough!

Don’t get me wrong, I sure hope Frost turns out to bring some sense of relevance back to Nebraska after 20+ years since. I also hope it brings some excitement and high-caliber competition to the B1G West.

That said, here are some defensive statistics from UCF’s season last year. I only post this, simply to help all you Huskers keep perspective before your most recent head coach hire is throned the next Bob Stoops...

UCF in 2017....

Scoring D: #52
Total D: #93
Pass D: #115
Rush D: #59
Red Zone D: #79

UCF played the #72 strength of schedule in the country in the American Athletic Conference, and didn't finish in the top 50 of any of these defensive categories. They finished in the cellar in three of these D categories. Against the #72 SOS.

Also of note...Frost has 399 (yes, 399) scholarship offers to kids. I am sure this is up to 400 by now.

How is he holding the integrity of your recruits (and their character) any higher than previous coaches. For perspective, outside of Ole Miss, the other Top 8 schools with outstanding scholarship offers are programs in the cellar and dying to climb back to relevance. Whatever it takes..including recruits with character issues. How can you tell a prospect you need him in your program when you have 40 other offers out for the same position?!

Current Scholarship Offers
1. Nebraska: 399
2. Syracuse: 371
3. Ole Miss: 344
4. Tennessee: 342
5. Kentucky: 331
6. Louisville: 318
7. Iowa State: 308
8. Indiana: 300

I wish you all the best, but I sure hope you all keep some perspective and let results speak for themselves...over the long-term. Best of luck this season.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Why are we even arguing the point? I say we keep quiet until after we beat Iowa with Frost at the helm. THEN we can make em eat crow. Until then we are on the wrong end of the beatdowns.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Why are we even arguing the point? I say we keep quiet until after we beat Iowa with Frost at the helm. THEN we can make em eat crow. Until then we are on the wrong end of the beatdowns.

Cheers. Football is better with a relevant Nebraska program. I wish you all the best this season and hope that Frost works out for you.

Reactions: Sinomatic and LP4NU
Don’t get me wrong, I sure hope Frost turns out to bring some sense of relevance back to Nebraska after 20+ years since. I also hope it brings some excitement and high-caliber competition to the B1G West.

That said, here are some defensive statistics from UCF’s season last year. I only post this, simply to help all you Huskers keep perspective before your most recent head coach hire is throned the next Bob Stoops...

UCF in 2017....

UCF played the #72 strength of schedule in the country in the American Athletic Conference, and didn't finish in the top 50 of any of these defensive categories. They finished in the cellar in three of these D categories. Against the #72 SOS.

Also of note...Frost has 399 (yes, 399) scholarship offers to kids. I am sure this is up to 400 by now.

How is he holding the integrity of your recruits (and their character) any higher than previous coaches. For perspective, outside of Ole Miss, the other Top 8 schools with outstanding scholarship offers are programs in the cellar and dying to climb back to relevance. Whatever it takes..including recruits with character issues. How can you tell a prospect you need him in your program when you have 40 other offers out for the same position?!

I wish you all the best, but I sure hope you all keep some perspective and let results speak for themselves...over the long-term. Best of luck this season.

I agree with much of your post, but then it went off the rails. Those offers also include Mike Riley's offers too. Next year you'll get a more realistic number of how many offers Frost and staff have made.

Also keep in mind that those defensive numbers were against a lot of wide open offensive systems, with a UCF offense that scores quickly. They will adjust accordingly to the B1G offenses.

I agree with much of your post, but then it went off the rails. Those offers also include Mike Riley's offers too. Next year you'll get a more realistic number of how many offers Frost and staff have made.

Also keep in mind that those defensive numbers were against a lot of wide open offensive systems, with a UCF offense that scores quickly. They will adjust accordingly to the B1G offenses.

Fair points. Will be interesting to see next year’s offer count - is Frost just spinning wheels, or strategically building a program?

Offensive style in the AAC is a fair point, assuming that UCF capitalized on these “wide open offensive systems”. They did, and finished 2nd in the country with 2.5 takeaways per game.

If he replicates this at NU, the B1G better watch out. And I hope it happens! But he’s got to figure out how to get those athletes from Florida over to the cornfields of Nebraska. As a Hawkeye, I trust that you all recognize our states are not exactly prime destinations for athletes...which is required for explosive offerenses and playmaking defensive players. B1G football is won in the trenches.

Reactions: CC_Lemming

UCF in 2017....

Just stfu, once again loser Iowa fan runs his mouth about Nebraska football on a Husker message board. Husker fans can have whatever clocking expectations they want, it doesn't concern you at all. The 2017 UFC defense more than held it's own against a very good Auburn offense and won a major bowl. In 2 years at UFC SF has as many big-time bowl wins as Liowa has had since pre JFK, if you want to talk about being irrelevant. Your BS reaks of fear and jealosy. Don't go away mad, just to away. #GBMFRforever

Reactions: LP4NU
Just stfu, once again loser Iowa fan runs his mouth about Nebraska football on a Husker message board. Husker fans can have whatever clocking expectations they want, it doesn't concern you at all. The 2017 UFC defense more than held it's own against a very good Auburn offense and won a major bowl. In 2 years at UFC SF has as many big-time bowl wins as Liowa has had since pre JFK, if you want to talk about being irrelevant. Your BS reaks of fear and jealosy. Don't go away mad, just to away. #GBMFRforever

So Iowa held their own against OSU last year. Does that one game prove relevance?

P.S. this is 25 years old. You are on your 6th coach since the golden years. Here’s an updated version...

And...

And...

One thing I will go on record by saying, the last 2 years you smoked our asses as apparently everyone should've with a pulse, but 2015 is a different story as you won 28-20 in a game we handed to you on a silver platter. You didn't kick our ass as it was the other way around. We handed your undefeated team it's ass on said proverbial platter. 4 int's did us in. We kicked your ass that game. But we lost so you iowegians need to get it straight you beat us down only 2 out of the 3 Stats don't lie!<><>
IOW NEB
FIRST DOWNS.................. 11 22
Rushing..................... 4 7
Passing..................... 3 14
Penalty..................... 4 1
RUSHES-YARDS (NET).......28-153 38-137
PASSING YDS (NET)............ 97 296
Att-Comp-Int. ......... 16-9-0 45-25-4
TOTAL OFFENSE ........... 44-250 83-433
Fumble Returns-Yards........ 0-0 0-0
Punt Returns-Yards......... 3-44 0-0
Kickoff Returns-Yards...... 4-65 1-20
Int. Returns-Yards......... 4-65 0-0
Punts (Number-Avg)....... 9-30.6 5-44.6
Fumbles-Lost................ 3-1 0-0
Penalties-Yards............ 6-54 8-95
Possession Time........... 23:54 36:06
Third-Down Conv. ........ 0 of 9 7 of 16
Fourth-Down Conv. ....... 0 of 0 1 of 3
Red-Zone Scores-Chances..... 1-1 2-3
Sacks By: Number-Yards...... 0-0 0-0

One thing I will go on record by saying, the last 2 years you smoked our asses as apparently everyone should've with a pulse, but 2015 is a different story as you won 28-20 in a game we handed to you on a silver platter. You didn't kick our ass as it was the other way around. We handed your undefeated team it's ass on said proverbial platter. 4 int's did us in. We kicked your ass that game. But we lost so you iowegians need to get it straight you beat us down only 2 out of the 3<><>
IOW NEB

Eventually you all will realize that there is no such thing as style points. Especially in the B1G. A win is a win. Welcome to the trenches.

Reactions: Hawkeye_311
Eventually you all will realize that there is no such thing as style points. Especially in the B1G. A win is a win. Welcome to the trenches.
You guys brag how you blew us out all 3 games which is far from correct, you did the last 2 out 3. You may have won in 2015 but we stomped a mudhole in your arse. as stats don't lie.

Reactions: Tail_Feathers
You guys brag how you blew us out all 3 games which is far from correct, you did the last 2 out 3. You may have won in 2015 but we stomped a mudhole in your arse. as stats don't lie.

What was the score again? I can’t recall

Who’s bragging? I was merely responding with more recent updates to a 17 year old video randomly inserted of a game against Iowa when Nebraska still had some relative relevance.

Reactions: LP4NU
You Iowegians brag about blowing us out all 3 years of Riley's tenure which is completely far from the truth, while you may have won the last 2 in blowout fashion 2015 is a whole different story as you won via 4 int's but we stomped a mudhole in your undefeated teams arse and as I said you didn't beat us that game as we handed that game to you on a silver platter. You couldn't win that game without our help because frankly you weren't good enough to win it on your own as couldn't move the ball on us showing how overrated your 2015 squad was. Stat's don't lie!. You then went on to get blown out by Sparty in the BIG Championship but got embarrased even worse by Stanford in the Rose Bowl Proving you were truly overrated that year!

Last edited:
One thing I will go on record by saying, the last 2 years you smoked our asses as apparently everyone should've with a pulse, but 2015 is a different story as you won 28-20 in a game we handed to you on a silver platter. You didn't kick our ass as it was the other way around. We handed your undefeated team it's ass on said proverbial platter. 4 int's did us in. We kicked your ass that game. But we lost so you iowegians need to get it straight you beat us down only 2 out of the 3 Stats don't lie!<><>
IOW NEB

Don’t forget about this important line... given Frost’s track record (see previously posts in thread), I hope you become familiar with stats like this that result in wins. If not, I presume you all will instinctively disregard your own wins with good takeaway margins.

So Iowa held their own against OSU last year. Does that one game prove relevance?
You said that Nebraska had been irrelevant for 20+ years, yet Iowa has one major bowl win since 1958. SF won a big bowl game in just two years at UCF. Your math sucks, I assume 20+ years means at least 21. In 1997 Nebraska won it's third title in four years. We had one of the best teams in the country in 99, and played in the national title game 2001. If you think you need to run your mouth on a Husker message, at least know what you're talking about. You should also maybe check UCF's defensive stats from 2016 as they were pretty damn good. #GBMFRforever[/QUOTE]

Fair points. Will be interesting to see next year’s offer count - is Frost just spinning wheels, or strategically building a program?

Offensive style in the AAC is a fair point, assuming that UCF capitalized on these “wide open offensive systems”. They did, and finished 2nd in the country with 2.5 takeaways per game.

If he replicates this at NU, the B1G better watch out. And I hope it happens! But he’s got to figure out how to get those athletes from Florida over to the cornfields of Nebraska. As a Hawkeye, I trust that you all recognize our states are not exactly prime destinations for athletes...which is required for explosive offerenses and playmaking defensive players. B1G football is won in the trenches.

Most games are won in the trenches and that starts with strength and conditioning something that is changing in Lincoln as we speak..

You do realize that Nebraska has more Outland trophy winners than anyone else....

Reactions: SOHusker11
Most games are won in the trenches and that starts with strength and conditioning something that is changing in Lincoln as we speak..

You do realize that Nebraska has more Outland trophy winners than anyone else....

One in the past 24 years. That’s even less relevant than the video your friend posted earlier in this thread. Keep living in the past boys. Good luck this season!

Oh you can bet Frost is just spinning wheels, much like he did going undefeated this year. Don't be a goof.

They signed 9 4-stars in 2 months, while working part-time in Lincoln. I think they should be able to sign a Top 20 class each year, which if they can develop that talent would be enough talent to win the West. Now mind you, I know winning the West is no easy task with Wisconsin, Iowa...even Northwestern, Minnesota and Purdue in the picture. But he gives us the best chance to do so. And we should win recruiting in the West nearly every year.

I'm not sold on Chinander yet either, but I do understand why his numbers weren't exactly stellar.

One in the past 24 years. That’s even less relevant than the video your friend posted earlier in this thread. Keep living in the past boys. Good luck this season!

Obvious you don’t get the point about the trenches.
Nebraska fans know what wins championships we don’t need a lecture from a Iowa fan that hasn’t won a outright conference title since 1985....

Win something and have some history Herky’s.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT