ADVERTISEMENT

Both the Omaha & Lincoln Airport is

MCI is reportedly nice now. That was a terrible airport before for a city the size of KC.
Hope so. Flying out of there the past couple of years has been brutal. Absolutely no food or seating outside of security. So you go through security in hopes of finding something and find yourself trapped in one of their stupid little encampments.

Last edited:
Newark - hands down the worst airport I've ever been in, feels like a refugee camp in there
Denver - I'm biased since I live here, honestly not that bad - love the rumors surrounding it
Midway - maybe not the worst airport, but its in one of the worst neighborhoods in Chitown
San Jose - my personal fav, has one of the best lounges in country there
Omaha - I've always thought it was very Nebraska; functional and efficient without any bells and whistles

Denver-Airport-Paintings.jpg

Reactions: Huskerfan2112
Pretty shitty. Nebraska missing big on having a nice airport. Omaha airport is so dumpy.
Couple things I do not like about Nebraska.
The Airport and roads.
Nebraska is way behind here!!
Why are they so dumpy?
They're so dumpy because nobody uses them. Why would they waste millions of dollars to upgrade them when nobody uses them? It's not like a stadium where people might decide to go check out the new place. Nobody says hey let's buy a ticket to Omaha so we can check out the new airport.

LGA was a third world airport several years ago. It was like flying into Moscow; very dark and spooky. Now LaGuardia is super nice. They did a very nice job modernizing it.

LGA was a third world airport several years ago. It was like flying into Moscow; very dark and spooky. Now LaGuardia is super nice. They did a very nice job modernizing it.
One would hope that $8 billion would buy you a nice, shiny remodel. (Though, sadly, yet to fly through there to see as of yet)

They're so dumpy because nobody uses them. Why would they waste millions of dollars to upgrade them when nobody uses them? It's not like a stadium where people might decide to go check out the new place. Nobody says hey let's buy a ticket to Omaha so we can check out the new airport.
That is part of what I am talking about also. Nobody uses them because they need to get airlines into lincoln/omaha.
What a joke trying to fly in and out of lincoln.

That is part of what I am talking about also. Nobody uses them because they need to get airlines into lincoln/omaha.
What a joke trying to fly in and out of lincoln.
Tell us again about Wichita having more flights than Omaha - while somehow having half as many daily departures.

I'm flying there in June, interested to see. Car rentals there used to be super cheap, not so much now.
Rental cars are heavily taxed in Kansas City:

KCMO rental car taxes

Then there's the fact that an Uber into the city runs at least $60. So the rental car companies know a lot of people will pay up.

Rental cars are heavily taxed in Kansas City:

KCMO rental car taxes

Then there's the fact that an Uber into the city runs at least $60. So the rental car companies know a lot of people will pay up.
There's also the simple fact that rental fleets hemorrhaged their fleets at the onset of Covid and then have been unable (and uninterested) in building them back out due to supply chain issues in car manufacturing and the fact they make more money when they have less supply. Though, they are finally starting to end that trend in the past few months.

Reactions: schuele
There's also the simple fact that rental fleets hemorrhaged their fleets at the onset of Covid and then have been unable (and uninterested) in building them back out due to supply chain issues in car manufacturing and the fact they make more money when they have less supply. Though, they are finally starting to end that trend in the past few months.
Yeah, I think it's pandemic related. At MCI pre-pandemic they were about giving cars away for weekend rentals.
No longer the case. By comparison, rentals in Pittsburgh were usually higher but last fall I got a small SUV rental for less then anything I can find in MCI now.

Tell us again about Wichita having more flights than Omaha - while somehow having half as many daily departures.
Aerospace brings in the airlines and people.
Big ass company's here. None like anything you've seen! However, Boeing pulling out really hurt doo dah.
Wichita just put millions into upgrade, remodel so it is much nicer.
Savannah, GA Airport is nice too.
To me Omaha airport looks 1960s, and in a shitty area.

Last edited:
Aerospace brings in the airlines and people.
Big ass company's here. None like anything you've seen! However, Boeing pulling out really hurt doo dah.
So when you claimed Wichita has more flights than Omaha, you were posting from the 1990s?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TampaBaySkers
So when you claimed Wichita has more flights than Omaha, you were posting from the 1990s?
Yep, one thing that sux. Limited on flights in and out of Lincoln/Omaha. Schule, let's not forget wichita is 1/3 the size of Omaha.
Those airports are 1960s and Lincoln much worse for flights

At the Long Beach CA airport not only is the baggage claim outdoors, but after checking bags when flying out you walk back outdoors to go to the security line, which is also outdoors until you are almost at the front of the line. And once through security, there is a decent part of the waiting area that has no roof. You walk out on tarmac to climb stairs to board. When I have gone through there, they board and deplane using both the front and the back doors of the plane.

Once the major overhaul of the airport in Omaha is completed in a few years, it will closely resemble John Wayne Airport in Orange County, CA. I fly between Omaha and Orange County a few times a year and I absolutely love JWA. TSA check areas are in each terminal but you have access to all 21 gates in three terminals (A, B and C) that are lined up in a straight row. Upper level for departures and lower level for arrivals splits the traffic and lowers congestion.

I was just saying this to my family. I travel to a lot of smaller/regional airports (the size of Omaha and below), and Epley is a dump.

I was just saying this to my family. I travel to a lot of smaller/regional airports (the size of Omaha and below), and Epley is a dump.
Just trash talk or can you explain just what it is you are claiming is its dumpiness.
I park, go in, check bags, get on plane. None of that I find inhibited or difficult. Small, clean, and efficient. Are you being harassed by transients? Wading through trash?

Reactions: Gary.Busey
Pretty shitty. Nebraska missing big on having a nice airport. Omaha airport is so dumpy.
Couple things I do not like about Nebraska.
The Airport and roads.
Nebraska is way behind here!!
Why are they so dumpy?
probably Scott frost's fault

As someone who frequently flies out of the Moscow-Pullman airport I want to clarify that you are referring to the airport in Russia, not the one in Idaho/Washington. ;)

I think Eppley is pretty outdated too, but the renovations should change that. If the majority of it looks like their new addition where the rental car kiosks are I'll be a big fan.

Flew out of the new KCI a few weeks ago. It’s like a real-live, grown up airport now. You have plenty of room past security to sit; there are plenty of restrooms; and plenty of spacious food and beverage spots. The old airport was like being in prison if you had to spend any time waiting there for a flight.

As someone who frequently flies out of the Moscow-Pullman airport I want to clarify that you are referring to the airport in Russia, not the one in Idaho/Washington. ;)
Yes, Sheremetyevo International Airport, its been awhile since I've flown in and out of it. They may have remodeled since they stole about 1/4 of the medicines we were bringing in. And I'd warn all, if you're taking Aeroflop, you're taking your life into your own hands.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
I remember when Lincoln’s airport was pretty special.
Early 747 landing there. We used to go out and watch the planes fly and land. The Air Base of course had something to do with it. I remember seeing B 52s lined up there, not the band.

As my avatar suggests, I now live in Alaska, and always have had good experiences flying into Lincoln, or Omaha.

Both huge airstrips courtesy of the Cold War.

My 2 cents (cause I know you've all been waiting)

I like Eppley but wish they'd put in a Starbucks.

Chicago Ohare and ATL Hartsfield are awful. (We actually drove to Charlotte to avoid ATL.)

I agree with the previous poster about the Hong Kong airport. It is awesome, as are the 3 airports I've gone to in China. (BTW all of them have Starbucks!)

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Just trash talk or can you explain just what it is you are claiming is its dumpiness.
I park, go in, check bags, get on plane. None of that I find inhibited or difficult. Small, clean, and efficient. Are you being harassed by transients? Wading through trash?
Fixures and seats are old and cheap. Bathrooms are tiny, difficult to navigate with bags, and old. Very limited eating and drink options behind security.

Fixures and seats are old and cheap. Bathrooms are tiny, difficult to navigate with bags, and old. Very limited eating and drink options behind security.
I'm not a spokesman for the Omaha C.O.C. or airport authority but I just haven't had this wrought airport experience there. But then I don't go Christmas shopping or look for upscale, gourmet meals at the airport.
When you walk in the front, check your bags at the kiosk, drop them off at the counter, then go upstairs, go through security and wait for your plane. Easy. Then you're off.
It's not big city but it's short, quick, and clean. I am pretty no frills myself. If you want your tax dollars extracted to build some bloated but shiny piece of garbage I'd wished you'd leave my wallet out of it.

I'm not a spokesman for the Omaha C.O.C. or airport authority but I just haven't had this wrought airport experience there. But then I don't go Christmas shopping or look for upscale, gourmet meals at the airport.
When you walk in the front, check your bags at the kiosk, drop them off at the counter, then go upstairs, go through security and wait for your plane. Easy. Then you're off.
It's not big city but it's short, quick, and clean. I am pretty no frills myself. If you want your tax dollars extracted to build some bloated but shiny piece of garbage I'd wished you'd leave my wallet out of it.
This is my exact thought. I prefer smaller no frills airports. No Starbucks? Even better. Then my wife can't buy all the kids $5 Vanilla Bean Frappes while I have a heart attack about her wasting money on the kids.

I've been stuck there during winter storms that have left me sitting around at a shitty bar with nothing to do for 5 or 6 hours, I forget how long exactly, while waiting for our plane (pre-Covid). I'm not asking for crab cakes and filet mignon, but enough space to sit down in a comfortable chair with a bar that can stay open during operating hours would be nice. That's more so just the simple fact it's too small of a metro area to support that, at least with the truncated layout now. Combining gate space after TSA might make it easier to justify.
You do realize that the restaurants specifically pay the airport to be there, so saying that comes out of your tax payer dollars is like saying that you paid for your neighbor's driveway when he had it resealed because he used the same bank you keep all your money in for a loan to pay for it...

Of course, if you are strictly discussing bathrooms, art installations, carpet, the chairs at gates, really slow baggage belts, etc, at any given airport (not Omaha specifically), then yes the facilities tax would pretty much be what you're paying every time you book a flight. This varies by airport up to $18.

The Omaha airport is not in a great area and the brick is so outdated. Than they put in the new ugly looking parking garage. Just doesn't look great.

This is my exact thought. I prefer smaller no frills airports. No Starbucks? Even better. Then my wife can't buy all the kids $5 Vanilla Bean Frappes while I have a heart attack about her wasting money on the kids.
I think scooters might be more than Starbucks 🤣

You really need to broaden your horizons if you think the Omaha airport is “dumpy”. Ones I’ve been to that are a lot worse in larger cities = O’Hare, Charlotte, Havana, the smaller one in Bangkok (the bigger one was nice). Hong Kong is probably the coolest one I’ve been to.
Charlotte’s airport is one of my favorites. 5 separate gates, with everything connected, allowing you to go through any one of the 5 gates. You aren’t stuck with completely separate A and B sides (or in their case A,B,C,D,E).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT