ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 adding Friday night games, includes Huskers (excludes OSU, PSU?)

GBRhuskers

Junior
Jul 15, 2016
Huskers will host a game every three years on a Friday night. Not only does it exclude Ohio State and Penn State but Michigan has flat out refused to play on Friday.

*Unsure if OSU/PSU exclusion is accurate or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: brnred58
Don't like this at all. This was brought up in the past as a possibility before we were in the B1G, and there was tons of opposition to it by high school coaches because they didn't want to compete with the Huskers. A Friday Night game day just won't have the same excitement to it like Saturday. I wish we would flat out refuse to play on Friday too. Bad move.

I think it is great for the teams that struggle with student attendance. Much easier to get students to attend a Friday night game and then go out and party as opposed to attending an 11am game or something like that. I think for a Purdue or Illinois or NW or Indiana it could be a really good and unique thing.

Why would we not be excluded as well? This eliminates a possible recruiting weekend and there is no benefit for us. We already sell out every game and are on National TV every week.

Reactions: baseball31ne
I still get this feeling like the BIG feels Nebraska should consider themselves lucky to be in the league and not an equal member

78a485d676d4df38e826d6e20d02c7d5.jpg

I still get this feeling like the BIG feels Nebraska should just be lucky to be in the league and not an equal member

78a485d676d4df38e826d6e20d02c7d5.jpg
Maybe the AD, when he finds out there is a negative reaction, will put his foot down? Or maybe SE thinks it is a good idea?

I think the Friday night game will be our traditional Black Friday game. At least that seems the most logical choice.

Reactions: HuskAir
Huskers will host a game every three years on a Friday night. Not only does it exclude Ohio State and Penn State but Michigan has flat out refused to play on Friday.
Seems like a terrible idea from a recruiting standpoint.

Reactions: SC_'sker
just looking for any positives here .. it would allow the staff to hit the road on Sat and Sunday to recruit

Reactions: jeans15
Count me in the camp that wants nothing to do with a Friday night game. Not only does it hurt recruiting, but for any out of towner hoping to attend a game in person it all but ruins that possibility. Also, the TV viewership has to be crap for Friday night games when compared with a Saturday kickoff.

This isn't what top tier, blue-blood programs do. Come on B1G. Don't sacrifice the long-term reputation of the conference for a short-term buck.

If Michigan refused we should put on our big boy pants and follow suit. This is horrible for recruiting since high school players are playing football on Friday nights.

Ditto, If Michigan isn't going threw with this idea why should anyone else be forced as well.:mad:

I think the Friday night game will be our traditional Black Friday game. At least that seems the most logical choice.

They have already said these will not be the Black Friday games. In fact they will only be September and October games.

It's a national game and you will be the only team on TV.

What's not to like...everyone is watching you play.

You think the nation is watching when there are 15 games on at the same time.

Enough small thinking if we're going to compete in recruiting.

If it's scheduled correctly, it could give us an extra day to prepare for an important opponent.

Reactions: dockentwo
It smells of Delany playing favorites.

Think you're reaching here.

It's very possible that Nebraska just didn't ask to get out of the Friday night games. Is there any evidence they tried? I'm guessing they could if they wanted too.

Think you're reaching here.

It's very possible that Nebraska just didn't ask to get out of the Friday night games. Is there any evidence they tried? I'm guessing they could if they wanted too.

Sounds like you're reaching as well. You are just guessing.

As an outsider I feel strongly that Nebraska should decline/refuse to play on Friday for 2 reasons.
1. Don't piss off the HS coaches by stealing their thunder and possibly making enemies of them.
2. Big-time schools play on Saturday small ballers, has-beens and never-will- be programs play during the week.

If it's scheduled correctly, it could give us an extra day to prepare for an important opponent.
Only problem is that most of our recruits will be playing at that same time...

Reactions: baseball31ne
Totally get the argument that this affects high school football and also hurts recruiting...

But this is once every three years - aren't we able to withstand that? Will it open the floodgates and lead to more Friday night games? Possibly, who knows?

I agree that it should be all teams abide by this or none of them do, but still...

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
Totally get the argument that this affects high school football and also hurts recruiting...

But this is once every three years - aren't we able to withstand that? Will it open the floodgates and lead to more Friday night games? Possibly, who knows?

I agree that it should be all teams abide by this or none of them do, but still...
Let me be clear... I'm not saying I'm for it... I'm just saying once every three years doesn't seem like that big a deal...

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca

Well said I agree completely.

If Michigan refused we should put on our big boy pants and follow suit. This is horrible for recruiting since high school players are playing football on Friday nights.
We can't refuse. Just like we were a second banana to Texas, we are in the same situation relative to TheOSU and UMMMM -- just lucky to be guests in their conference.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
ADVERTISEMENT