ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 adding Friday night games, includes Huskers (excludes OSU, PSU?)

Not sure why Friday "belongs" to the high schools. They also play on Thursdays, and during the playoffs they play on several days of the week. I'm thinking one day a year they can play on Thursday night or Saturday around noon. Pros used to be Sunday only but now they play on Monday and Thursday, with Saturday games late in the year.

I am curious how many people actually go to high school games. I used to but now that my kids are grown, I haven't been to any in more than 10 years. I know some do, especially in small towns but I'm guessing those numbers are in the minority.

Jeez why doesn't anyone address the issue of one game every three years? Is that really a HS football killer in Nebraska?

Look, Friday night B1G football is not something I'm pining for... but some of the reasons we shouldn't do it are ridiculous.

High school kids can't watch their favorite team...
High schools will be pissed at Nebraska for doing this...
Can't get off work...

Will HS players really no longer fuel our program if we play 1 Friday every 3 years?

It's ok to not like the idea of playing on Fridays, but the reasons given for why we shouldn't are weak!

Jeez why doesn't anyone address the issue of one game every three years? Is that really a HS football killer in Nebraska?

Look, Friday night B1G football is not something I'm pining for... but some of the reasons we shouldn't do it are ridiculous.

High school kids can't watch their favorite team...
High schools will be pissed at Nebraska for doing this...
Can't get off work...

Will HS players really no longer fuel our program if we play 1 Friday every 3 years?

It's ok to not like the idea of playing on Fridays, but the reasons given for why we shouldn't are weak!
If there is no reason not to play on Friday night, why are the teams with the balls and the clout to stand up to it opting out?

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Is that really a HS football killer in Nebraska?

It's not. For many years, specifically during the heyday of Husker football, Nebraska high schools also played on Saturday. At the same time as the Huskers.

People are gonna bitch, no matter what.

Reactions: timnsun
If there is no reason not to play on Friday night, why are the teams with the balls and the clout to stand up to it opting out?
Gonna have to ask leadership in Lincoln... I have no idea.

Why cry about one night every three years? I feel like a broken record, but until someone gives me a good reason for the whining, I'm gonna still ask.

Gonna have to ask leadership in Lincoln... I have no idea.

Why cry about one night every three years? I feel like a broken record, but until someone gives me a good reason for the whining, I'm gonna still ask.

Stop that crap. Friday night is a bad idea. Period. The whole crux to this argument is if everyone does it then ok. If we just have Michigan and Ohio State opt out then it's a one-sided deal. Basically, Friday night is bad for college football in general. Making NU do home games on Friday is bad business. Stop demonizing NU supporters that don't go along with this. We want to know more details.

Stop that shit. Friday night is a bad idea. Period. The whole crux to this argument is if everyone does it then ok. If we just have Michigan and Ohio State opt out then it's a one-sided deal. Basically, Friday night is bad for college football in general. Making NU do home games on Friday is bad business. Stop demonizing NU supporters that don't go along with this. We want to know more details.
Boxes, normally have no beef with you. We think alike on a lot of stuff. I have repeatedly said I agree to an all or none approach to this. Go back and read my posts.

Where I am pushing back is when people say it's bad for high school players who won't see their favorite team, or Nebraska high schools will be pissed at Nebraska. That's ridiculous! 1 time every three years WILL NOT be the death of high school football in this state, nor will it cause coaches to send their players elsewhere.

It shouldn't be up to individual schools what they do... it should be all or none. But people need to stop whining about how it will hurt HS football and stuff... I don't see it, and no one has said anything to convince me otherwise.

Again, I'm not saying we should or shouldn't do this. Just stop with the posts on how it will hurt high school football, cuz it won't.

Stop that crap. Friday night is a bad idea. Period. The whole crux to this argument is if everyone does it then ok. If we just have Michigan and Ohio State opt out then it's a one-sided deal. Basically, Friday night is bad for college football in general. Making NU do home games on Friday is bad business. Stop demonizing NU supporters that don't go along with this. We want to know more details.
And besides, the way I understand it, no one is making Nebraska do anything. If Nebraska does this it's their choice. Am I misunderstanding this? If I am then I apologize. If Delaney is saying Michigan and OSU get a pass and all the rest, bend over, then that is bad for the B1G. But I don't think that's what's going here...

I posted in this thread a couple days ago and it got deleted for some reason? Can someone fill me in?

After having some time to think about this I decided I don't really care. Like others have said, one night every 3 years = no big deal. Might be kind of nice to kick off a weekend with a legitimate excuse to have one to many beer's, rather then the phony one's I usually make up.

Reactions: SOHusker11
I just wonder if, since we will be HOSTING a Friday game once every 3 years, will that also mean we may play an away game during that span too? Giving us more than one Friday game within a 3 year span?

I just wonder if, since we will be HOSTING a Friday game once every 3 years, will that also mean we may play an away game during that span too? Giving us more than one Friday game within a 3 year span?
Good question, and the answer is that we could play multiple away games on Friday during the 3 year period. There will be 3 nonconference games and 3 conference games on Friday night, which means 9 BIG team participations. Michigan is out completely, so those 9 participations per year fall on 13 teams. Several teams have put limitations on when and how often they will host the games (OSU, PSU, MSU, NU, Iowa, Wisky - and Minnie may), so if your schedule includes the likes of Purdue and Illinois, the odds of getting a Friday night away game are high.

Good question, and the answer is that we could play multiple away games on Friday during the 3 year period. There will be 3 nonconference games and 3 conference games on Friday night, which means 9 BIG team participations. Michigan is out completely, so those 9 participations per year fall on 13 teams. Several teams have put limitations on when and how often they will host the games (OSU, PSU, MSU, NU, Iowa, Wisky - and Minnie may), so if your schedule includes the likes of Purdue and Illinois, the odds of getting a Friday night away game are high.
So am I correct in understanding you can only control your home game schedule? You have no say if an away team has you for a Friday night game?

That seems odd...

Here's the real issue: The B1G conference teams want to compete against the powers of the SEC. They appear to be on their way with so many teams in the top 15 this year, but the best way to compete is to earn more $$$. With a new television contract, B1G teams are set to earn somewhere in the neighborhood of $45 each. Now this kind of money doesn't just grow on trees. The networks want to maximize their investment and one suggested way was to move some games to Friday night where they probably were getting garbage ratings before and saw a chance to get some higher advertising dollars.

This is the business side of sports that many people don't like to hear, but it's the reality of what we face.

Friday night football sucks. In my mind, the B1G should be above playing on a Friday and selfishly from a fan's perspective, I don't want to reserve my Friday for watching a game in addition to Saturday. It also sucks for recruiting highschool players, etc.

But we live in a world where the dollar is almighty and since the networks are paying the $$, they also have a say in how that product is delivered to each of our homes.

This is what people are missing about this. We keep hearing about once every 3 years. That is once every 3 years to host a game. It is quite possible(and probable) that we could play a Friday night road game, or even multiple Friday night road games over a 3 year period. In fact, in the press release about it the other day, they said that no team would play on Friday night more than twice in a season, which obviously means a team could play on Friday night twice in a season. This is more than just once every 3 years.

I'm really surprised that the business owners in downtown Lincoln haven't voiced their displeasure. This will cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars. Look at the lost dollars. People won't spend near as much on Friday night compared to all day on Saturday.

Reactions: scarletred
Huskers will host a game every three years on a Friday night. Not only does it exclude Ohio State and Penn State but Michigan has flat out refused to play on Friday.

*Unsure if OSU/PSU exclusion is accurate or not.

Come on guys. This is going to be a nationally televised game. We only play a few of those a year, and millions of people will have a chance to see us. Just because the big schools want to be excluded doesn't mean it isn't a great opportunity for national exposure. We are one of the few programs that truly recruits from coast to coast because of our lack of talent but high expectations. If we have a great product, it will only magnify what we are doing well. There is literally no better recruiting tool for a program like nebraska. Otherwise we are regionally televised to portions of the country with little talent or to conference talent.

Fear is always a natural response to something new. How is 1 Friday every 3 years going to kill anyone? (I would argue do it every year so you can start new traditions.) Its different, but people will adjust and great things can come from it if you seize the opportunity. Sometimes something new can be exciting and fun and creates new dreams and ideas that normally you wouldn't think about because your paradigm hasn't changed for awhile. I would say... stay tuned and see what other information comes out on this matter b4 some of you jump off a cliff.

B4 I get crucified for not many posts, I read this site all the time to get information and see the vibe of the husker fan base on certain matters, so I'm not New. I enjoy this site.

Fear is always a natural response to something new. How is 1 Friday every 3 years going to kill anyone? (I would argue do it every year so you can start new traditions.) Its different, but people will adjust and great things can come from it if you seize the opportunity. Sometimes something new can be exciting and fun and creates new dreams and ideas that normally you wouldn't think about because your paradigm hasn't changed for awhile. I would say... stay tuned and see what other information comes out on this matter b4 some of you jump off a cliff.

B4 I get crucified for not many posts, I read this site all the time to get information and see the vibe of the husker fan base on certain matters, so I'm not New. I enjoy this site.
I'm sure that u r right, b4 long we will b begging Delaney 4 more Friday night games.

It never ceases to amaze me how far off the edge people will go armed with only half truths and partial stories. Again wait for the schedule and then bitch and moan if it is warranted. So much crap is created based on a couple of people's opinion on what maybe could, might, possibly happen.

Ahhh ahhhh running around like my hair is on fire ah ahhhhh ahhhh Friday ahhhhhhh recruiting ahhhhhhhh. Michigan ahhhhhh not fair.

Nebraska's administration should be admonished for their decision to participate. Hank
Bounds always talks about working with the Nebraska communities, blah blah blah...then turns his/their back on Nebraska high school football. Why can't we stand up like Michigan and OSscrew?

Nebraska's administration should be admonished for their decision to participate. Hank
Bounds always talks about working with the Nebraska communities, blah blah blah...then turns his/their back on Nebraska high school football. Why can't we stand up like Michigan and OSscrew?

Okay, Hal.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if Nebraska high school football ever survives this travesty…

Frankly, I'd be surprised if Nebraska high school football ever survives this travesty…

Don't worry. I heard the fans of the Houston Texans and Oakland Raiders are staging some sort of protest about the class A state football championship game being played on Monday, because dammit Mondays are for the NFL.

Maybe Eichorst should put his foot down just like Michigan is doing...

Hope he considers it.

Come on guys. This is going to be a nationally televised game. We only play a few of those a year, and millions of people will have a chance to see us. Just because the big schools want to be excluded doesn't mean it isn't a great opportunity for national exposure. We are one of the few programs that truly recruits from coast to coast because of our lack of talent but high expectations. If we have a great product, it will only magnify what we are doing well. There is literally no better recruiting tool for a program like nebraska. Otherwise we are regionally televised to portions of the country with little talent or to conference talent.

WTF good is a nationally televised game, when most of our target audience (recruits and potential recruits, ) that we want to watch it will not be able to because they are playing a GAME on a Friday night? I Dont give a rip if other fans can watch our games, I care about recruits and recruits families. You know the people that will also be attending the games of their kids when our game is nationally televised, thus not watching our game either?

Lets not mention the local business owners in Lincoln that are going to take a hit $$ wise as well as hotel owners and all that from lost revenue.

Unless it is a road game, a home game is just a horrible idea to play on a Friday night for obvious reasons. You are only fooling yourself if you think it will stop at 1 game every 3 years as well. We will have to play more than that and we already lose a recruiting weekend playing Iowa on Fridays on games that would be home games for us.

WTF good is a nationally televised game, when most of our target audience (recruits and potential recruits, ) that we want to watch it will not be able to because they are playing a GAME on a Friday night? I Dont give a rip if other fans can watch our games, I care about recruits and recruits families. You know the people that will also be attending the games of their kids when our game is nationally televised, thus not watching our game either?

Lets not mention the local business owners in Lincoln that are going to take a hit $$ wise as well as hotel owners and all that from lost revenue.

Unless it is a road game, a home game is just a horrible idea to play on a Friday night for obvious reasons. You are only fooling yourself if you think it will stop at 1 game every 3 years as well. We will have to play more than that and we already lose a recruiting weekend playing Iowa on Fridays on games that would be home games for us.
Good point... why, I bet most recruits we are after have never even heard of a DVR. And I assume they don't have cable either...

Good point... why, I bet most recruits we are after have never even heard of a DVR. And I assume they don't have cable either...

There is something to be said for wanting to watch live sporting events while they are on. With as busy as these kids and parents are having to set aside an additional almost 4 hours to watch a game may not fit into their schedules. This is why even those 9am saturday games are better for exposure than friday night games cause oids and parent can watch them live while not having to compete with something else going on.

There is something to be said for wanting to watch live sporting events while they are on. With as busy as these kids and parents are having to set aside an additional almost 4 hours to watch a game may not fit into their schedules. This is why even those 9am saturday games are better for exposure than friday night games cause oids and parent can watch them live while not having to compete with something else going on.
I get that, but I also believe that if a recruit is genuinely interested in Nebraska, he will do one of two things...

1. Record it and fast forward through the commercials and half (making it only 2 1/2 hours, not 4). Again, if genuinely interested, then 2 1/2 hours out of a kid's life to help him determine the next 4-5 years of his college experience is a sacrifice he might be willing to make.

2. Choose a different weekend to visit Nebraska (since their are 7 home games per season).

If neither of these options are appealing, then I would question his interest in Nebraska, and our coaches ability to generate that interest in Nebraska. I'm not excited about Friday games, but I'm not seeing the doom and gloom that many are...

Reactions: saluno22
I get that, but I also believe that if a recruit is genuinely interested in Nebraska, he will do one of two things...

1. Record it and fast forward through the commercials and half (making it only 2 1/2 hours, not 4). Again, if genuinely interested, then 2 1/2 hours out of a kid's life to help him determine the next 4-5 years of his college experience is a sacrifice he might be willing to make.

2. Choose a different weekend to visit Nebraska (since their are 7 home games per season).

If neither of these options are appealing, then I would question his interest in Nebraska, and our coaches ability to generate that interest in Nebraska. I'm not excited about Friday games, but I'm not seeing the doom and gloom that many are...

You keep saying the same thing. Saying it many more times doesn't make it so. After a while you just have to say we agree to disagree. We'll see how it turns out in the end.

You keep saying the same thing. Saying it many more times doesn't make it so. After a while you just have to say we agree to disagree. We'll see how it turns out in the end.
Yep. Even though we agree on a lot of things it's ok to not agree on everything. Appreciate that between us.

Reactions: bigboxes
I still get this feeling like the BIG feels Nebraska should consider themselves lucky to be in the league and not an equal member

78a485d676d4df38e826d6e20d02c7d5.jpg
I've never heard a fb fan in Mi wish Ne hadn't been invited. Quite a few say screw the tv sets, Rutgers shouldn't be a member.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT