Banshee
Fargo 2014
Twin Peaks 1990
Narcos 2015
Fleabag
House of Cards
Making a Murderer
Six Feet Under
Loved the original Twin Peaks. We lived in Seattle around that time and it was nice to see a show set in the PNW.

Thought the first couple of seasons of House of Cards was amazing. Frank Underwood was very smarmy as was Claire. After that it went too crazy (different writers?) and by the time they had to kill off F.U. it was awful.

Anti-post

Laverne and Shirley. Any iteration of The Lucy Show.
Women are a great many things but aren't usually funny.

On the reverse side, skimpy swimsuits. Guys, you look like a freakshow in a speedo.

Breaking Bad and the Wire 1/1a
GOTs, sopranos next in line
Succession ( if they close well Sunday night and if they had a Fifth year could have pushed-to be included.

Mad Men in the next group with Better Call Saul.

True Detective could make up some serious ground if season four blows up - still gotta make up for season 2

Sit Coms
Seinfeld well clear of number two.

The Office had a chance till it went off the rails.
Cheers pretty high up there for me
There is shelf life to any show that finds itself.
Year
1. Raw and purposeful
2. Usually peaks.
3. Writers start using characters out of character to contrast for cheap laughs.
4. The heretofore complicated, secret relationship is consummated ruining the odd couple dynamic. Writers ran out of good ideas.
5. Bring in new characters and try to re-light the original magic. FAIL!!
6. Cute animals, especially monkeys. Give them a cigar. If this happens they are re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Loved the original Twin Peaks. We lived in Seattle around that time and it was nice to see a show set in the PNW.

Thought the first couple of seasons of House of Cards was amazing. Frank Underwood was very smarmy as was Claire. After that it went too crazy (different writers?) and by the time they had to kill off F.U. it was awful.
Janelle Turner. What a looker
And from Lincoln too.

Just finished Lasso. Not as good as Scrubs but it came along when the the pandemic and politics were making most feel pretty awful and powered through with positivity. About as good of an ending one could hope for. Kinda related but the best final episode of a series to me was 6 Feet Under. The last part wrecked me.

Name it

I’ll go with Breaking Bad.

The amount of precision Vince Gilligan had with this show is unreal. He kept it going with Better Call Saul.

Game of Thrones is in close contention. As bad as the last season was, Battle of the Bastards and The Winds of Winter were the best 2 hours of film I’ve ever experienced.

Sopranos is deserving of this list, and has the best ending to a show ever.

Go go go!
Twilight Zone
Hill Street Blues
Quantum Leap

Reactions: dsmalls3
Maybe not the greatest of all time, but I think that The Job and Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll were both laugh out loud funny.

They each star Denis Leary playing “that guy” that Denis Leary always plays, which I would surmise is a slightly fictionalized version of, well, Denis Leary.

Best Comedies- 1) Cheers 2) Seinfeld 3) It's Always Sunny

Best Drama- 1) Peaky Blinders. (The acting is just ridiculously good in that). 2) Ozark
3) Yellowstone

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT