ADVERTISEMENT

Bell and Washington

RedSea

Recruiting Coordinator
Jun 18, 2001
Looks to me like Washington is more elusive and has greater top end speed. Looks like Bell has outstanding acceleration when he sees the opening, and that he is going to hit harder. I think the staff is doing well going with Bell first but giving Washington plenty of reps.

I know this will seem like kind of a crazy idea but I wouldn't be opposed to them redshirting Washington after he plays in 4 games. I know that he's been the second best back at a minimum so far this season, but given the start to the season, I wouldn't mind the longer term play. Just a thought, love his potential.

Reactions: SOCALHSKR
I think they need to play him, we need all the help we can get at this point to avoid another 4-8 or worse. Can't assume he'd be good for another 4 years anyway if he turns out to be first rate.

Reactions: jeans15
I know this will seem like kind of a crazy idea but I wouldn't be opposed to them redshirting Washington after he plays in 4 games. I know that he's been the second best back at a minimum so far this season, but given the start to the season, I wouldn't mind the longer term play. Just a thought, love his potential.
Disagree. Special talents like him are lucky to be kept around four 4 years the way it is, maybe only 3. Play him and get him live reps in competition. Shows potential recruits we are not afraid to play you right away if you have the goods. Who would be the third RB if we put the Space Cowboy on the shelf after 3 games? Wilbon or Mazour? Bring in Jones for his 4 games and redshirt both him and Washington? Then who after those four games?

We need to play Washington. He's the only back we have that I feel has the potential make a big play every time he touches the ball.

If he becomes as good as advertised, he isn't staying in college for 5 years anyway.

btw can't find the thread, but someone was asking about Miles Jones' injury situation. You can see him warming up in the background at about 1:25 behind Frost in this video...

Bell has the best vision of the group.

Ozigbo is fine if he can run straight ahead. When he has to dip and dive in the backfield, which is often, he's not that good.

Washington is special, but strikes me as boom or bust on his plays. Too young to know all is spins can't get him out of every mess

Disagree. Special talents like him are lucky to be kept around four 4 years the way it is, maybe only 3. Play him and get him live reps in competition. Shows potential recruits we are not afraid to play you right away if you have the goods. Who would be the third RB if we put the Space Cowboy on the shelf after 3 games? Wilbon or Mazour? Bring in Jones for his 4 games and redshirt both him and Washington? Then who after those four games?

Agree the shelf life for running backs is short. Get what you can b4 they move on to the NFL.

I think it's good to have 3 backs with different skills. I'm still waiting to see what Jones can do.

Reactions: scarletred
Like last week's thread, people respond too strongly to small sample sizes, and put too much weight on stats. We have a nice trio of backs that offer a variety of difficulties for the opposition. RB is not going to be an area of problem for us this season or the next (barring injury or halftime retirements).

I think they need to play him, we need all the help we can get at this point to avoid another 4-8 or worse. Can't assume he'd be good for another 4 years anyway if he turns out to be first rate.

We should take a play out of leveon Bells playbook and redshirt everyone. Once you play in 4 games that player is done for the szn. This season is lost. We need to bring back as much experience next year as possible. I don’t car if we have to hold tryouts mid season if we don’t have enough players mid zeason

I like this idea as well, we can get by this year with a Combo of Bell, Ozigbo.

Hope Maurice isn't too dinged up. I think he should be getting 40-50% of the carries going forward. Unless an injury limits his effectiveness, he should be playing every game and about every other series. The kid has the "it" factor and will get better the more he plays.

You don't redshirt Washington at this point, he's producing. Kid has like 5.8 ypc. That's a slap in the face to put him in the show, have him prove he's worthy of PT and then be like, "Cool, now go sit down and if one of these guys gets hurt maybe we dust you off."

Reactions: timnsun
Hope Maurice isn't too dinged up. I think he should be getting 40-50% of the carries going forward. Unless an injury limits his effectiveness, he should be playing every game and about every other series. The kid has the "it" factor and will get better the more he plays.
I'm guessing he misses next week with a thigh bruise and we'll see about the week after that. Those are sore for a while.

There is no reason to RS Washington if healthy.

This offense needs speed on the field now and he is the lone back that's shown it to date.

Like Martinez, he needs game experience at thist level. Won't get that sitting out most of the season.

Where’s the kid recruited for the Duck R position, Miles Jones ? Not sure if name is correct or not. He and our receivers are our speed options in this offense. I mean it doesn’t hurt to have a back that can take it to the house, but combo a ground/ pound attack then follow up with speed options and we could be dangerous. Idk?

Where’s the kid recruited for the Duck R position, Miles Jones ? Not sure if name is correct or not. He and our receivers are our speed options in this offense. I mean it doesn’t hurt to have a back that can take it to the house, but combo a ground/ pound attack then follow up with speed options and we could be dangerous. Idk?
Coach Held said Miles Jones would play against Troy but I think them getting behind early changed the game plan. Not sure we’ll see him against Michigan because he has no game experience. Woodyard is the other speed guy. Frost said in today’s press conference that he is still coming along. Sounds like there are a bunch of guys that aren’t quite consistent enough yet to earn Frost’s trust.

Purely looking at his struggles getting into school and then accounting for being on his own in a new environment with harder coursework. I just think with him it might be best to take the money and run when you know you have it.

(LOL @ the guy who thinks this is "from the ass", it is a legitimate concern)

Has to be a total thought-from-ass of a post. Unless the poster somehow knows the kid flat out isn't attending class, there's zero way to know in September that he wouldn't be eligible in 2019.

Smells like a Herky lurking, can you smell the wishful thinking..

Reactions: SOHusker11
Coach Held said Miles Jones would play against Troy but I think them getting behind early changed the game plan. Not sure we’ll see him against Michigan because he has no game experience. Woodyard is the other speed guy. Frost said in today’s press conference that he is still coming along. Sounds like there are a bunch of guys that aren’t quite consistent enough yet to earn Frost’s trust.

Per Sean Callahan last week, Jones didn't play in first game due to an eye injury...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT