ADVERTISEMENT

B1G West

Through two games:

Wisconsin is giving up only 108 yards per game on defense, Iowa 185 ypg.

In order to compete with the big dogs in this division, Nebraska must get better in the trenches. Wisconsin and Iowa will dent our foreheads after they mushroom stamp them continually for all 60 mins of football the way we're playing right now. #hairynutsonforehead
At the end of the day, it has only been Wisconsin in the West since Nebraska joined the B1G. I think Iowa has beaten them one time since then? The West teams that have went to the championship game since the formation of the B1G Championship are:

Wisconsin - 5
Iowa - 1
Nebraska - 1
Northwestern - 1

There is Wisconsin and no other worthy team remotely close in the West. And I say that understanding Nebraska ranks lower than Iowa at this point in time. But for anyone to put another team from the West in the same sentence as Wisconsin is just delusional.

Your offense solely misses Ozigbo and Morgan, Iowa will completely shut Washington down. Martinez will be under fire all day again from Epenesa. Wisconsin is barely above .500 all time against Iowa. Iowa has more speed and weapons on offense than in previous years.
Wisconsin may be a notch above Iowa all time, but since the formation of the B1G Championship game, Wisconsin is .83 against Iowa, so there is only one man and a bunch of boys in the West until somebody changes that.

Wisconsin may be a notch above Iowa all time, but since the formation of the B1G Championship game, Wisconsin is .83 against Iowa, so there is only one man and a bunch of boys in the West until somebody changes that.
That is why I said in another thread I would take a loss to ISU and MN for wins against WI and NW.

That is why I said in another thread I would take a loss to ISU and MN for wins against WI and NW.
Good point. Got to figure out how to beat the big dog, then start to do it consistently. Iowa has been damn close on several occasions, just have to figure out how to close it out. May be getting there with the recent uptick in recruiting.

On the other hand, Nebraska just has to figure out how to close our most any game :).

Reactions: cecilB
South Florida - 0-2 (Currently Last Nationally in Total Offense - Dominated in other game by Georgia Tech.

Central Michigan - 0-11 vs FBS teams in 2018

Miami, OH - 1-5 vs winning teams in 2018 - Started a True Freshman vs. Iowa.

Rutgers - Its Rutgers

Howard - 3 win FCS team from 2018 - Went to Youngstown State and fave up 60 points a week after 70 to Maryland.

Syracuse - outgained by Liberty in their season opener.

I realize everyone wants to crown these programs. And they are definitely winning in impressive fashion. But Wisconsin has potentially faced the two worst offenses in college football right now.

Iowa beat a future 4 or 5 win MAC team with a true freshman starting his first college game, and effing Rutgers.

Maryland literally played the WORST NON CON opponent for the Big Ten and a Syracuse team that was so overrated they won't even make a bowl game.

Let's pump the motherfricken brakes.

agreed 100% on this, and I'm an Iowa fan. Iowa will find out a lot more about its team this weekend playing at Iowa State. Even if Iowa loses, the season isn't lost. But at some point, you need to play a good opponent and find out where you are. Rutgers has some individual talent, but is poorly coached and wanted no part of a physical 4-quarter game. If not for their punter, the game would have been 50-0.

Wisconsin has dominated bad opponents so far. That is what a good team should do. We will really start to find out about them when they play Michigan. Let the season play out. The media wants narratives and to make proclamations immediately.

We'll know more after Michigan goes to Madison next week. Both teams have this week off.

Crossover games:
  • Wisconsin: Michigan, Michigan State, and at Ohio State.
  • Iowa: Rutgers (W), Michigan, and at Penn State.
  • Minnesota: at Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State.
  • NU has Ohio State, Indiana, at Maryland

With Maryland looking good after two games, the crossover schedule looks pretty balanced. Wisconsin looks to be the toughest crossover.

Nevertheless, the West has NEVER been decided by crossover games. All except one year the West was won by going undefeated in the West.

I think the west is still wide open outside Illinois and even they have showed some promise lately. Northwestern proved last year non conference games don't mean everything. It's going to be the team that improves throughout the season that will most likely take the west. Most teams are one injured star player away from staying relevant and that includes Wisconsin.

Reactions: 9and4
I think the west is still wide open outside Illinois and even they have showed some promise lately. Northwestern proved last year non conference games don't mean everything. It's going to be the team that improves throughout the season that will most likely take the west. Most teams are one injured star player away from staying relevant and that includes Wisconsin.
Maybe not most teams, but Nebraska and Wisconsin certainly fill the bill. Take Taylor or Martinez out of the equation and neither team are realistic division champs. Purdue is probably next in line if they lose Moore but I don't think they are a legitimate title contender anyway. From top to bottom, Iowa is probably the team who could afford to lose any given starter and not have it affect the outcome of their season: not a high ceiling, not a low floor.

Maybe not most teams, but Nebraska and Wisconsin certainly fill the bill. Take Taylor or Martinez out of the equation and neither team are realistic division champs. Purdue is probably next in line if they lose Moore but I don't think they are a legitimate title contender anyway. From top to bottom, Iowa is probably the team who could afford to lose any given starter and not have it affect the outcome of their season: not a high ceiling, not a low floor.

The way it sets right now, the West is Wisconsin’s. Huskers could improve over this season and maybe take it away but I doubt it. Our Huskers are just to young and make mistakes. Wisconsin will end up playing OSU like usual and the Buckeyes will blow the Badgers out again. Same ole, same ole...

The way it sets right now, the West is Wisconsin’s. Huskers could improve over this season and maybe take it away but I doubt it. Our Huskers are just to young and make mistakes. Wisconsin will end up playing OSU like usual and the Buckeyes will blow the Badgers out again. Same ole, same ole...

Wisconsin and Iowa both play Big Boy type football until Nebraska gets some toughies on the O/D lines they will not be taken seriously as a challenger for the West title.

Wisconsin and Iowa both play Big Boy type football until Nebraska gets some toughies on the O/D lines they will not be taken seriously as a challenger for the West title.
Hmmm... so how did Big Boy type football let Northwestern in last year?

You need to go back to your own board.

Reactions: Huskred01
Scott Frost said he expects to compete for the west title this year. I assume that to mean he expects to be able to go head to head with Wisc and Iowa.

Reactions: EATAFAT1

Iowa fans need to stop acting like they are on par with Wisconsin. Winning the West once in 8 years is not big boy football.

Reactions: RedMyMind
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT