ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Comish Kevin Warren prefer attempting playing In the Spring

scarletred

Nebraska Legend
Jun 17, 2001
A lot of questions would have to be answered if they went this route.Is risking playing in the spring going to hinder the 2021 Fall season?
Will they keep their year of eligibility for the fall?
How many games would you play 12? 10? 6? and just play conference games ?
What happens if a player gets hurt and effects him playing for the fall of 2021?
Is the move playing in the spring going to help attendance which hardly any schools would have had in the fall?

Thoughts!

I think the Spring start is just an excuse to not play now and further delay the inevitable. I’d highly doubt anyone plays in the spring. It’s now or nothing until fall ‘21 in my opinion.

Only reason or purpose to play games in the spring would be to get revenue... But no way would they fit a 10 or 12 game schedule in the spring and expect the players to come back and play 12 games in the fall..

I think the Spring start is just an excuse to not play now and further delay the inevitable. I’d highly doubt anyone plays in the spring. It’s now or nothing until fall ‘21 in my opinion.

Exactly. Saying “Spring football” is the equivalent of a parent saying “maybe later” to their child. You know dam well it ain’t happening but you just want to keep the peace.

I think this is why we are hearing rumors of a B1G & Big 12 merger for the season.

The only way they could’ve potentially pulled this off would have required bubbling each team on their own campus, online classes tutored only like a military barracks and hope the travel and overnight stay to away games would still keep the players clean. Call it a modified version of NBA and NHL. The reason this wouldn’t be workable is the no pay, scholarship only part. You already have PAC 12 and other conference athletes demanding a piece of the pie.

What if they allowed schools to schedule 1-2 spring games. We already have a Red-White game. What if we added a scrimmage against someone like SDSU or something like that. It’s a way to get some additional revenue, if that is what they are looking to help with. Not saying anywhere close to a full slate of games. Just 1-2

Reactions: saluno22
What if they allowed schools to schedule 1-2 spring games. We already have a Red-White game. What if we added a scrimmage against someone like SDSU or something like that. It’s a way to get some additional revenue, if that is what they are looking to help with. Not saying anywhere close to a full slate of games. Just 1-2
Sounds like what they already do in the fall with baseball (NU has played Kansas and Wichita State in these type of games in recent years) and volleyball, where NU occasionally plays games against the likes of Colorado State and Wyoming in a high school gym.

I like the idea as a one-off this year, but I could see injury concerns in a violent game when the typical spring game safeguards can't be agreed upon by schools.

Sounds like what they already do in the fall with baseball (NU has played Kansas and Wichita State in these type of games in recent years) and volleyball, where NU occasionally plays games against the likes of Colorado State and Wyoming in a high
I like the idea as a one-off this year, but I could see injury concerns in a violent game when the typical spring game safeguards can't be agreed upon by schools.

Why not play Iowa and iowa State, at least they’d be playing FBS teams and not FCS teams..

A lot of questions would have to be answered if they went this route.Is risking playing in the spring going to hinder the 2021 Fall season?
What happens if a player gets hurt and effects him playing for the fall of 2021?
Is the move playing in the spring going to help attendance which hardly any schools would have had in the fall?

Thoughts!
I don't see spring as a logical option. Just to quick of turnaround time for fall sports. If we don't have football this fall we won't see it again until 2021. Who knows maybe 2022.

The reason I didnt say Iowa or Iowa st is two fold. It removed a FCS school from the fall schedule, and wouldnt require an away game once in a while. If you go with FBS teams you’d want to have it be a team that isnt generally on your fall schedule, which would remove Iowa from the equation.

Unfortunately where there's smoke, there's fire on this one. By the end of the week, we're going to be disappointed. Having practices with helmets only is just one clue. Just an opinion, will be gravely sad if it's true.

What is the purpose of helmets only? Do pads help transmit the virus? It’s not like the players will not touch each other or be in direct contact with only helmets on.

IMHO if fall is cancelled and spring is too, seniors this year should keep their scholarships for the 2020-2021 school year, then be ineligible for further playing.and athletic scholarship after May 2021. The reason is keeping on a whole group of seniors impacts opportunity for incoming freshmen getting scholarships in fall 2021. Another option is to allow schools an extra 25 scholies for the next four years, but that won't happen with Title 9 and all. It would really suck that all the seniors would miss their senior years, but all kinds of other people are hurting too. We are all in this together, right?

I always advocated playing a 10 game season beginning on November 7th and concluding on January 9th with the conference championship games the next week on the 16th. This scenario is based on if Biden wins the media will downplay the virus, fear will subside and life will be more normal. If Trump wins, and especially if the GOP takes back the house, the media will shift focus to the emerging agenda, fear will subside, and life will be more normal.

Reactions: ADV1 and BleedRed78
IMHO if fall is cancelled and spring is too, seniors this year should keep their scholarships for the 2020-2021 school year, then be ineligible for further playing.and athletic scholarship after May 2021. The reason is keeping on a whole group of seniors impacts opportunity for incoming freshmen getting scholarships in fall 2021. ...
yes, you have to move those upperclassmen right on out.. no reason to have 4 losing seasons when you can get by with only 3. Smokin

What is the purpose of helmets only? Do pads help transmit the virus? It’s not like the players will not touch each other or be in direct contact with only helmets on.

Only thing I can think of is contact practices with pads on..With helmets only no contact..

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Great question. Pretty much the main reason why I believe we have bad news on the horizon.

No doubt Spring would be safer than this Fall presuming the vaccine(s) are available then BUT it comes with the problem of stacking up two seasons in the 2021 calendar year. Not sure you want to put players through that either.

IMHO if fall is cancelled and spring is too, seniors this year should keep their scholarships for the 2020-2021 school year, then be ineligible for further playing.and athletic scholarship after May 2021. The reason is keeping on a whole group of seniors impacts opportunity for incoming freshmen getting scholarships in fall 2021. Another option is to allow schools an extra 25 scholies for the next four years, but that won't happen with Title 9 and all. It would really suck that all the seniors would miss their senior years, but all kinds of other people are hurting too. We are all in this together, right?

I always advocated playing a 10 game season beginning on November 7th and concluding on January 9th with the conference championship games the next week on the 16th. This scenario is based on if Biden wins the media will downplay the virus, fear will subside and life will be more normal. If Trump wins, and especially if the GOP takes back the house, the media will shift focus to the emerging agenda, fear will subside, and life will be more normal.
You want to play a 10 game big 10 schedule starting November 7th based on a wild conspiracy theory? Where do I start? 1st off, you're advocating playing a 100% big 10 schedule outside in November, December, and early January. Good luck with that.

Only thing I can think of is contact practices with pads on..With helmets only no contact..
Seems strange to me that Nebraska could have had a Shrine Bowl game (without virus problems as far as I know) but the B1G can't allow practice in pads. What's the purpose of all the testing protocols anyway if it isn't to identify and quarantine all the personnel with the virus to keep practices safe?

Seems strange to me that Nebraska could have had a Shrine Bowl game (without virus problems as far as I know) but the B1G can't allow practice in pads. What's the purpose of all the testing protocols anyway if it isn't to identify and quarantine all the personnel with the virus to keep practices safe?

Your preaching to the choir on this..
Has any player from that game ended up having COVID-19?

That is what is so frustrating about the MAC announcement..I know it would just take one individual to die from the virus that everyone would be pointing too and that is why the other power-5 schools will follow suit...If a player died from the flu over the past history ( sure some have) no one would think twice about it..

I've been saying for over a month, IF we have testing and quarantines like the UNMC recommends, we won't have football this fall. I was hoping I was wrong but it's beginning to look like that is the way it's going. This is a just horrible for seniors in particular. IMO, they should let the players make an informed decision on whether to play or not. ANY player who doesn't feel safe can opt out now. The risk is just plain minuscule compared to the risk of life-threatening physical injury. One kind of wonders sometimes IF the people making the guidelines for COVID and football are the same ones screaming about concussions in football. Might there be an anti-football agenda in some of the risk assessment?

That is what is so frustrating about the MAC announcement..I know it would just take one individual to die from the virus that everyone would be pointing too and that is why the other power-5 schools will follow suit...If a player died from the flu over the past history ( sure some have) no one would think twice about it..
The interviewed a coach at halftime, they had a great plan, he explained it point by point. Hell I’ve never heard of anyone including fans that went to it contracting the virus

Reactions: scarletred
I've been saying for over a month, IF we have testing and quarantines like the UNMC recommends, we won't have football this fall. I was hoping I was wrong but it's beginning to look like that is the way it's going. This is a just horrible for seniors in particular. IMO, they should let the players make an informed decision on whether to play or not. ANY player who doesn't feel safe can opt out now. The risk is just plain minuscule compared to the risk of life-threatening physical injury. One kind of wonders sometimes IF the people making the guidelines for COVID and football are the same ones screaming about concussions in football. Might there be an anti-football agenda in some of the risk assessment?
Like dipstick Ed Cunningham?

When the commissioner talks, and says a statement like this publicly, it's gonna carry a lot of weight.

I think a HUGE fork was just put into a potential 2020 season. What's the point of releasing a schedule and in a week says this?

No point in risking injuries with full contact practices when the season is likely to be canceled. That’s my guess.

How about a six-game mini schedule starting in April? Take June and July off and then start fall camp in August of 2021. I think you got to give these kids a reason to stay on campus and keep training. Losing an entire year is a lot to ask. Plus we've been promised a vaccine by then

You want to play a 10 game big 10 schedule starting November 7th based on a wild conspiracy theory? Where do I start? 1st off, you're advocating playing a 100% big 10 schedule outside in November, December, and early January. Good luck with that.
Any chance we can get Miami or Florida State to visit under this scenario? I think we owe them a couple winter games after playing them on their home turf so many times Winking

But was it no contact? With helmets only, they usually still have contact. I only heard no pads. Not no contact.

The most frustrating thing about the whole ordeal is that some rules seem so arbitrary and just unnecessary reactions to cover their backs in the name of ‘well we did X.’ When in reality ‘X’ really doesn’t do anything at all.

How about a six-game mini schedule starting in April? Take June and July off and then start fall camp in August of 2021. I think you got to give these kids a reason to stay on campus and keep training. Losing an entire year is a lot to ask. Plus we've been promised a vaccine by then
What we SHOULD have done was to offer up ALL Power 5 players and coaches for the vaccine studies. Problem would have been solved with ONE dose. Yeah a booster may have been needed to insure long term immunity but one dose would have undoubtedly protected them against serious illness.

Thoughts!
I cannot stand Warren

Reactions: John_J_Rambo

somewhat agree here. But has any college player died of the flu in the last 10 years?

Again who knows never fit any media’s agenda...
I’ll guarantee you hundreds have played with flu like symptoms...
Game 5 of the 1997 NBA finals is the first flu game that comes to mind.

the one flu impact game I don’t want to remember is the 96 Big 12 championship game against Texas.

But was it no contact? With helmets only, they usually still have contact. I only heard no pads. Not no contact.

The most frustrating thing about the whole ordeal is that some rules seem so arbitrary and just unnecessary reactions to cover their backs in the name of ‘well we did X.’ When in reality ‘X’ really doesn’t do anything at all.

You’re right... Looking at a team video on Facebook they’re having some slight contact anyway..

Reactions: GretnaShawn
Hilariously players still grab and wrap up with no pads, they just dont hit to take to the ground... which again makes this all stupid
Oooooo. Just too barbaric and too much testosterone

Game 5 of the 1997 NBA finals is the first flu game that comes to mind.

the one flu impact game I don’t want to remember is the 96 Big 12 championship game against Texas.

I’m sure hundreds of individuals have played in games with flu like symptoms over the years..

Reactions: cubsker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT