ADVERTISEMENT

QB situation is on Rhule

At some point, even for Rhule, 9-10 wins (as max production) won't be enough for a program like Nebraska. Expectations will be raised, as they should.

BUT Rhule can have Pelini type results and be here for a long time as long as he doesn't act like a psychopath.

Rhule made a lot of mistakes today. He deserves criticism. Stop acting like he’s perfect. Look no further then the fair catch BS. And yes, in a one position game, field position matters a lot
The hidden yards, aka field position. MSU built a 10 point 2nd half lead because they were starting every drive near midfield (or better) and we were starting every drive inside our own 10 yard line.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I don't blame Rhule. Though I do blame him for telling us that Sims was an NFL caliber QB. He can't even field a snap half the time.
Don't blame him either. Did you watch his highlights ? Cause I did and didn't see it at all.

Frost deserves some blame. Not one qb was developed under him his entire time. AM regressed and he needed CT to transfer. HH might be serviceable but I don't think frost ever developed him.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Frost deserves some blame. Not one qb was developed under him his entire time. AM regressed and he needed CT to transfer. HH might be serviceable but I don't think frost ever developed him.
Develop him ? He was a Frosh and the Coordinator had no love for him to get reps.

So we recruit a pro-style Quarterback in the kid from Westside. What type Quarterback do we want? Pro or Dual?
For you information the kid can also run. Right now, he's a better QB than Kaelin is! And to answer your question we need a dual QB because of our OL.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
For you information the kid can also run. Right now, he's a better QB than Kaelin is! And to answer your question we need a dual QB because of our OL.
True. Watching Kaelin, who is now a mid- three star across the board, that kid is not the answer. They both suck from what i have seen. Go big or go home. My guess is that they go home.

Reactions: leodisflowers
The portal isnt the answer.

Very concerned about our HS QB recruiting.
Rhule is not a very good recruiter. Never has been. Hopefully he figures it out quick. Everone had a hard-on because the Omaha kid had a good Elite 11 performance or whatever. From watching him play, I have seen 3-4 Neb high-school QB's that are better than him. Go south and quit pissing around to please the home-grown fans.

They ran Thompson off, Thompson wasn't going to get a fair shake unless he blew all the other qbs away. My biggest problem is there hasn't been improvement but more of a decline at the qb spot. Jut can't belive we have 3 qbs that can't hit open wr's. Honestly, is there not a walk-on qb that can throw to an open guy on this team? And for fk sake why can't we return a freaking punt or make a smart decision fielding a punt?
I say it's more about the QB turning it over. Does Iowa have a better QB ? No. They have no offense . They win with defense, special teams, and not turning it over. Nobody talks about the punt return retardation . Fielding the ball over and over instead of letting it go in the endzone. It's a team sport. The QB play is bad but it was a team loss.

The offense is not better. The defense is. The special teams is the same dog poop. So it's pretty much a wash. You might be hopeful things are better, but that's just hopium.
So a phase of the game improved. But that's not improvement. Interesting

They ran Thompson off, Thompson wasn't going to get a fair shake unless he blew all the other qbs away. My biggest problem is there hasn't been improvement but more of a decline at the qb spot. Jut can't belive we have 3 qbs that can't hit open wr's. Honestly, is there not a walk-on qb that can throw to an open guy on this team? And for fk sake why can't we return a freaking punt or make a smart decision fielding a punt?
Put the bottle down. It will be ok

Rhule is not a very good recruiter. Never has been. Hopefully he figures it out quick. Everone had a hard-on because the Omaha kid had a good Elite 11 performance or whatever. From watching him play, I have seen 3-4 Neb high-school QB's that are better than him. Go south and quit pissing around to please the home-grown fans.
Huh? You lost me with this. He’s a pretty good recruiter. Hell his first class a boatload of the kids are already impacting the games. When Ohio St and the SEC also come calling for
Your guys you are doing alright.

Obviously from Rhules press conferences he says he wants a dual threat. Though Haarberg can run he’s not a dual threat cuz he can’t pass. He doesn’t run the option well, he doesn’t pass well and he is indecisive in the pocket. To say Rhule bagged it on Sims is crazy, how much game experience does he have here? Turn overs are bad by both so that cancels out, both can run the ball. HH is limited on his ability to pass and we don’t know how limited Sims is passing the ball, he deserves the same chance as HH. Sims was never given the opportunity to run the option. Sims appears to be quicker and just as fast. If Rhule truly wants to run the option and power football he needs a qb coach who can teach that system. You don’t need to go strictly option but knowing how to run it and actually running it are two different things. Bring Turner Gil or Frazier back as an assistant OC/ Quarterback coach.
Not necessarily so. He and Sat are trying to adjust the offense to what they have. A guy who can run and throw the long ball to wide open guys well enough to have a chance. But when HH has an off day, the coaches decide not to run him after he gets lit up at Purdue, the other team hits a trick play, and the refs take the night off…

Yeah, that was some weird shit. Not sure in all my years of watching a quite a bit of football, that I've ever seen that
Especially when he threw Nations in there for the last punt. If he was good enough to be back there for what I assume would have been the punt return that had the most pressure attached to it, then he should've been good to field them all.

Also, wtf is with Barthel's rb rotation? Can he just let Johnson work up a sweat before he pulls him.

It'll be interesting to see who's in the portal and who we go after, it'll tell us a lot.

If we had a grade B QB we would be a 7-plus-win team. This QB disaster is all on Matt Rhule who sold his soul on Sim's and it was a major miss for a high-dollar coach. He ran Thompson off in the spring and now we have a disaster. How can you make Sim's number one after spring ball when Thompson never had a chance to compete? Can someone please explain that to me? If the competition was still open in the fall I believe Thompson would have stayed to let it play out. Thompson would have made many of the easy throws to the open receivers we have had all season long.
Going forward we have a QB mess that will take a few years to work out. The kid from Westside is a questionable recruit and a big gamble. We need to hope that we can find a serviceable QB in the transfer portal.
CT wasn't even able to throw until the summer. He got hurt quickly and was a turnover machine at Florida Atlantic after that.

Aside from that, your post is a captain obvious from the "we need a better QB department" and has been discussed ad nauseam for the entire season. Thanks for the update!

• Haha
Reactions: JOHNNY N
He didn’t runoff Thompson. He looked at his room and knew he needed another guy because well you know. Thompson is injured and you don’t know how he’s going to look in a new offfense without being able to play spring football. Plus, he’s not a running quarterback and never will be.

They definitely whiffed on Sims. he looked the part and I think they believed they could fix him. Big mistake.
Agree on Thompson; it was going to be difficult for him to convince a new staff he was the guy from the training room.

I truly wonder what Rhule, Satt et al think of Sims inside the building. My guess is that its more a psychological KO than the fact he can't play. They were too high on him through camp for them to think he absolutely cannot play after only 2 games. That said, the a psych KO could easily be the part they couldn't see on film during evaluation.

Well, he may not be able to get who he really wants, which would also tell us a lot.
Yep. I mean, according to the folks here players would rather go to Oregon State, Indiana, NC State, Cal, or Louisville, maybe we can find someone at Hastings or Midland. Doesn't Jamrog work there? Maybe he'll let us poach his 2nd string since this place acts like we aren't worthy of expecting real players.

NFL physical talent. High school football IQ so far.

"He’s a triple threat. He can throw it. He can run it. And he can beat you with his mind as well. He can get to the right play. He’s an NFL player. I think he’s under the radar. Not being talked about a lot. Which is probably good, there’s not a ton of expectation on him. I know our entire team is going to go out and fight for him cause because they believe in him. He’s such a great leader. He’s such a great teammate."

https://cornhuskerswire.usatoday.co...tt-rhule-jeff-sims-thriple-threat-nfl-player/

"He’s a triple threat. He can throw it. He can run it. And he can beat you with his mind as well. He can get to the right play. He’s an NFL player. I think he’s under the radar. Not being talked about a lot. Which is probably good, there’s not a ton of expectation on him. I know our entire team is going to go out and fight for him cause because they believe in him. He’s such a great leader. He’s such a great teammate."

https://cornhuskerswire.usatoday.co...tt-rhule-jeff-sims-thriple-threat-nfl-player/
Clearly hasn’t shown the mind talent yet. Part of me wants to see what he would do in a preplanned series without having to come in cold. He has the physical talent you want. It’s not like Heinrich is lighting the world on fire. Rhule is focused on getting us at least to a bowl game. Experimenting with QBs now might be counter productive. It’s a conundrum

I was waiting on the HH pull & hit the middle off that Fleeks motion sweep all 2nd half yesterday and it never came.

I do kind of agree with @Baxter48 in that it seems the playbook each week is fairly short, which has to do with inexperience and lack of talent at all 11 positions plus some position coach unfamiliarity

would also sure be nice to pop a long run from the RB position

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT