ADVERTISEMENT

At this point Riley has fired all the coaches we never wanted him to bring....

Better days ahead, though his judgement seems lacking.

This is only one hypothesis.

Another is that he knew what challeneges lay ahead of him when accepting the job based upon intimate conversation with SE. Roster, culture, etc. So he brought some of his most trusted colleagues with him to make the transition and then moved forward when the transition was complete.

Another is that he knew what challeneges lay ahead of him when accepting the job based upon intimate conversation with SE. Roster, culture, etc. So he brought some of his most trusted colleagues with him to make the transition and then moved forward when the transition was complete.
Transformation doesn't happen all at once. It was smart to limit as many moving parts as possible when Riley took they reigns. It is indeed a process, and it will be interesting to see how it progresses from here.

Reactions: bigboxes

It is more than just a little interesting that Mike has shed himself of the very assistants the AD at Oregon State was pressuring him to let go. Why not do it then and stay home for a few more years? Why now? SE or someone has to be putting the pressure on him.

Can't worry about that now. It is -2 here at the house and 6-9 up on the hill. Time to go play.

It is more than just a little interesting that Mike has shed himself of the very assistants the AD at Oregon State was pressuring him to let go. Why not do it then and stay home for a few more years? Why now? SE or someone has to be putting the pressure on him.

Can't worry about that now. It is -2 here at the house and 6-9 up on the hill. Time to go play.
What I don't understand in this is that two years ago he didn't buckle under pressure, so why would he now?

does he go out and hire experienced coaches and recruiters with a good track record or people with essentially zero experience who were maybe former players?

does he go out and hire experienced coaches and recruiters with a good track record or people with essentially zero experience who were maybe former players?
As much as you say you like Parrella, you sure bag on him a ton…

So far, he's 2-3 with hiring someone with experience, and not a former players.

Warren moved on, replaced by Stewart. Experience with no connection.

Hughes fired, replaced by Parrella. Connection.

Read fired, (staff opening) replaced by Williams. Experience with no connection.

Banker fired, TBD.

Stewart mutual parting, TBD.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
As much as you say you like Parrella, you sure bag on him a ton…

like him personally .. don't feel he proved himself qualified for the job he has prior to his hire

if Riley goes out and hires lower tier Division 2 coaches, who don't happen to be former Huskers, to fill these positions this place will explode

like him personally .. don't feel he proved himself qualified for the job he has prior to his hire

if Riley goes out and hires lower tier Division 2 coaches, who don't happen to be former Huskers, to fill these positions this place will explode
I am guessing Riley knows this as well…

Can you name some other similar examples of this strategy? Does not sound common.

Very likely Eich had a huge influence in this change. Soft and non aggressive D is not a Husker football characteristic...end of story. I'm sure their contracts will be honored. I believe Riley wants to leave here a major winner and this action reflects that concept.

GBR

Reactions: Hoosker Du
He has one more year maybe two. I don't see him making after all he is average

Transformation doesn't happen all at once. It was smart to limit as many moving parts as possible when Riley took they reigns. It is indeed a process, and it will be interesting to see how it progresses from here.
It was smart to not go hire the best coaches and recruiters that were available because of some transition? Do you think SE was in on this? Do you think if this plan was rolled out to the regents they would have said, "Brilliant plan"?

Why not just say, "Riley made a mistake in bringing these guys. He owned it, got rid of these coaches, and now is trying to move Nebraska into the top echelon"? I can applaud that but won't applaud some silly plan that involves NOT hiring the best coaches available in the first place.

It was smart to not go hire the best coaches and recruiters that were available because of some transition? Do you think SE was in on this? Do you think if this plan was rolled out to the regents they would have said, "Brilliant plan"?

Why not just say, "Riley made a mistake in bringing these guys. He owned it, got rid of these coaches, and now is trying to move Nebraska into the top echelon"? I can applaud that but won't applaud some silly plan that involves NOT hiring the best coaches available in the first place.
This may come as a shock, but you can't always just poach whatever assistants you want on day one. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, it took time and effort to work on some of the replacements they've lined up.

I also like the revisionist history that landed re: JP in the last few months. Pretty much everyone on here was jacked AF when he got hired about how great it was. Now suddenly he's a big joke and they never shoulda hired him and you all knew it all along. After one season and he's coaching the least talented/experienced position group on the team.

He lands a good class this year and the DL breaks out next year and people will be like, "TOLD YOU we needed more former Blackshirts coaching the defense! What's Ralph Brown up to? Back the Brinks truck up to his house!"

Could be a different issue.

When he was hired, the money men at the University may still have been living under the delusion that we didn't have to pay to get the best coordinators because we are Nebraska.

Who knows?

At the end of the day we know we have the money. Go get the best and stop screwing around.

This may come as a shock, but you can't always just poach whatever assistants you want on day one. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, it took time and effort to work on some of the replacements they've lined up."
While I'm doubtful Riley has been working on people for two years and now they are ready to move, I do have to say your scenario makes more sense then the idea that he bypassed looking for good coaches to bring on average guys who would help him make a transition.

I cannot stress enough how the Pelini to Riley coaching change was different than 99% of all coaching changes.

Riley did not have the luxury of breaking down everything and starting over. He replaced a coach that won 9 or 10 every year. Fans are not going to put up with a couple of losing seasons as he builds this thing into what he wants. So you surround yourself with familiar faces who you know how they work and can gradually morph from what Nebraska was to what Riley envisions. This allows him to slowly make changes.

My guesses. I have no idea who the "we" is but I suppose it is meant to say that Husker fans are smart but the coaches arent.

Riley went with people he knew and trusted and thought they could get the job done with a change of scenery. Perhaps he thought more talent would bridge the gap to the past. It is a logical move, I see it all the time in my world of work. Sometime it works sometimes it doesn't. I do agree with the comment that it gave Riley an easier start to work with people he knew and trusted. You have to give Riley credit for making these changes, he is taking the bull by the horns.

Eichorst, very likely, had nothing to do with any of the hiring or firing decisions. After they are made, and he would be in the know, then he gets involved. This is all Riley's call.

If Riley or any coach gives in to the negative people, like those who want Lang's gone, Perella fine, CSV gone and others then it will be a coaching caraseaul.

Everyone could be disappointed if this is not the "splash hire" some are crying for. First, I don't really know what that is. There are only a small number of the top dogs and it would not easy to pry them away and in spite of whatost on here seem to think, money is not the determiming factor.

I for one will sit back and read the bizarre speculations and wait for people to do their jobs in finding the right person(s). Some can wait for a Riley call for your opinion. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: arf_man
I don't think it's that complicated. I'm guessing Riley thought that his old staff would do better here because they'd have more talent to work and be playing in an easier division (Big Ten West).

He's now realized that the schedule the next few years is pretty imposing, and if he wants to win a championship, he's going to need to upgrade his staff.

Reactions: arf_man

Having a bad day? You can say whatever you want.

SE was probably in on "this." I've spent a career transforming businesses. This is one way to do it w/o completely obliterating what you have. There sure is an argument to turn over management sooner...when you come in or after year 1...yet what they are doing isn't illogical or crazy as you seem to be suggesting.

I don't think it's that complicated. I'm guessing Riley thought that his old staff would do better here because they'd have more talent to work and be playing in an easier division (Big Ten West).

He's now realized that the schedule the next few years is pretty imposing, and if he wants to win a championship, he's going to need to upgrade his staff.
Nice, succinct, reasonable, and you don't have to wear a tin-foil hat to believe it.

Having a bad day? You can say whatever you want.

SE was probably in on "this." I've spent a career transforming businesses. This is one way to do it w/o completely obliterating what you have. There sure is an argument to turn over management sooner...when you come in or after year 1...yet what they are doing isn't illogical or crazy as you seem to be suggesting.
My husband has done the same thing numerous times over the last six years. But what you are talking about is keeping some of the people who are already part of the organization. It is not having a leader get rid of ALL the management, bringing in inferior but trusted people with him, and then jettisoning those people after year one or two.

My husband has done the same thing numerous times over the last six years. But what you are talking about is keeping some of the people who are already part of the organization. It is not having a leader get rid of ALL the management, bringing in inferior but trusted people with him, and then jettisoning those people after year one or two.
Not unusual at all. Your read of "inferior but trusted people" is subjective. Still, to bring in all of your own team for "leadership harmony" with the understanding that changes will be made based on results isn't unusual.

Reactions: timnsun

And then reality hit.

so why didnt he get rid of them at OSU? listen, this is a cute natrative a few of you have come up with, but its total bullshit.
Because it wasn't up until the very end that the AD at OSU considered their production unacceptable. The pressure there at the very end was roughly the pressure level to start out at NU.

I doubt very seriously that SE had no say in these changes. I'd be very surprised if it's just all Riley and Shawn is going going, "Oh really? Well OK Mike, I was working on a new contract for him but I'll tear that up. You let me know when you've made your next hire."

While I applaud Riley for "cutting bait"--- Riley is what he is-- or as Parcells said "you ARE what your record is". Average COACH--- what plays or strategy in a game did you sit there and go- wow great call or decision by the coaches?

Reactions: jehresm
Because it wasn't up until the very end that the AD at OSU considered their production unacceptable. The pressure there at the very end was roughly the pressure level to start out at NU.

I doubt very seriously that SE had no say in these changes. I'd be very surprised if it's just all Riley and Shawn is going going, "Oh really? Well OK Mike, I was working on a new contract for him but I'll tear that up. You let me know when you've made your next hire."

I'm pretty confident it's Riley, SE, and Devaney.

While I applaud Riley for "cutting bait"--- Riley is what he is-- or as Parcells said "you ARE what your record is". Average COACH--- what plays or strategy in a game did you sit there and go- wow great call or decision by the coaches?

that's pretty much what I think as well. you watch the top teams and they consistently scheme easy touchdowns. even tim beck schemed quite a few easy touchdowns. just hasn't seemed to happen much, esp against decent competition, the last two years. maybe i should rewatch and I'd change my mind....shrug.

ok, again I laughed....:)
tumblr_m99656yNgJ1qhhxd4o1_250.gif
Winking

Reactions: GretnaShawn
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT