ADVERTISEMENT

anyone have a Kamado grill?

bleed husker red

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Just picked one up at sams in Lincoln for $350. Don't know much about them or if I'll keep it. Any users out there

Last edited:
I used to have a coworker that had one and loved it... although he wished he had 'The Egg' smoker instead, but it worked great for him fwiw...

I have a Big Green Egg and love it. Best things I have ever cooked with. Did 3 dozen Sparky wings on it yesterday!

Yes. They are great cookers. I started out with a Vision (which I think is what you just purchased) and then purchased a Primo Oval XL.

They can be a smoker,

a grill,

an oven

or even a pizza oven.

If you want to know more, go over and join up on kamadoguru.com. There will be lots of people (including me) who can help you with recipes and technique.

Congratulations and good luck.

I have a Kamodo Joe smoker. It is my understanding the folks that developed it were formerly with the Big Green Egg. Mine cost far more than what you paid though. It works great for smoking and you can plug CyberQ into it and regulate temp for overnight smoking like brisket.

Yes. They are great cookers. I started out with a Vision (which I think is what you just purchased) and then purchased a Primo Oval XL.

They can be a smoker,

a grill,

an oven

or even a pizza oven.

If you want to know more, go over and join up on kamadoguru.com. There will be lots of people (including me) who can help you with recipes and technique.

Great looking stuff. Very nice work.

Reactions: DerHusker
Traeger puts them and green egg to shame
I was looking at getting a Traeger but my research led me to buy a kamado instead due to having limited space and me wanting one grill to do it all. The kamado doesn't do everything the very best but it does do everything very well. If I had room for more cookers I would consider getting a true smoker and I'd even consider a Traeger. (Note: A friend of mine has a Traeger so I know all about them) For now my kamado does a very good job of being a smoker for me as well as everything else.

Now some questions for you so I can find out how much shame I should feel:

How hot can a Treager get? Can you sear steaks or cook pizza at 800 to 1,000 degrees?

Can you bake bread in the Traeger?

Can you make a Paella on a Traeger?

When you put something on your Traeger do you feel confident enough it's temperature control to go to sleep overnight or leave it and go out to breakfast and take a drive down at the beach for 4 to 5 hours?

Can you load up your Traeger with one load of fuel and do a Low-N-Slow pork butt cook for 13.5 hours and then to cook a beer can chicken for another 2.5 hours and still have enough fuel to keep going for maybe another 3 to 4 hours?

Yes to all your questions as far as smoking for a long time without reloading it and yes to cooking with it and going to sleep an not worrying about it. 800 degrees? No but I did buy a little tailgate Traeger that is small and get's up to 500 degrees so it's perfect for charring up a steak etc. Your food looks pretty good on there I gotta say

They can be a smoker,

a grill,

an oven

or even a pizza oven.

Dear God...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT