ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama Special Teams Coach's Salary...................................................

Wintereisse

Blackshirt
Dec 2, 2002
Tight ends, special teams coach Bobby Williams: $440,840/year through 2017 (added a year, salary up from $428,000)

They even get double duty out of him as a TE coach. Nice. What does our ST coach make?

Anyone think Alabama would have won last night without its special teams play?

In a game like that where there is a lot of scoring, special teams play will always be big. Personally I think two additional big factors is when the Clemson CB went out with an injury. That kid is a baller, and while his backup played ok, I think some of the communications issues may not have happened on the long passes to the TE. Also the clock that kept running at the end of the first half was really big. You never know what would have happened, but being able to save your timeout and possibly getting a shorter field goal attempt would have been huge.

Great game though, fun to watch and not a lot of penalties. Clean game.

It's always bothered me his salary and the fact he is not a top recruiter and more frankly the fact that his track record (rankings of special teams) is middle of the road. Either he is great friends with Riley or he has dirt-- one way or the other there is no justification for his salary period!!!!! Riley needs to get young with hires and cut bait if he wants to achieve greatness! Heavy sigh because he won't.

Reactions: YouGotSwatted!
This coaching staff makes less total than the last, only Riley pays his assistants more. Do we all wish things were perfect? Yes. Do agendas continue to show when these threads continue to be made? Also yes. Why are you guys not freaking out because our linebackers coach doesn't make more?

Probably hiring a stud recruiter like Ed Orgeron.
I know you know this, but just you and others saying it over and over again won't make it happen. Maybe you should move on from this one?

For whatever reason, Bo didn't ask him, and now neither has Riley. They have moved on...

This coaching staff makes less total than the last, only Riley pays his assistants more. Do we all wish things were perfect? Yes. Do agendas continue to show when these threads continue to be made? Also yes. Why are you guys not freaking out because our linebackers coach doesn't make more?

I think Bray should make more. I also think that Dr. Route should get a few more dollars his way as well. No agenda for me, just don't see why we are wasting our money on Reed.

What does Bruce Read's salary prevent Husker football from having? Not his position but his salary?
Bringing a mediocre ST coach and offering him a raise doesn't make him a better coach, just an over paid mediocre coach. Give his duties to a GA and spend more for a better DC. Also, give Bray a raise.

Reactions: leodisflowers

we see yours too

Sabam has a ST coach? I thought it was wrong to have one of those.

False, again.

Posting facts is a great agenda to have.
Orgeron's resume makes me wonder why he's moved so much. In business you make moves up the food chain ever few years and everybody thinks you're a mover and shaker. You continue to move every couple of years and some start to realize that you have some issues.

Last edited:
Tight ends, special teams coach Bobby Williams: $440,840/year through 2017 (added a year, salary up from $428,000)

They even get double duty out of him as a TE coach. Nice. What does our ST coach make?

Sabam has a ST coach? I thought it was wrong to have one of those.

Steelclaw, you may have missed it in the OP but Bama's ST coach also coaches TE. So he coaches guys like OJ Howard that had 208 yds receiving last night with 2 TD's. Basically the MVP in last nights game. He also recruits more than punters & LS. So, yep, great to have a guy who can do more than just eat Whataburger and coach ST

HTO - the staff couldn't hire a stud recruiter if they had a coaching spot open? Maybe not specifically Orgeron but is there a clause in Riley's contract that states he cant hire a stud recruiter? Cause if so, that'd explain a lot about this and last years recruiting class. Let me guess > "wait until next year". Got it. Or maybe some smart ass remark because you don't know how to answer people like an adult.

HTO - the staff couldn't hire a stud recruiter if they had a coaching spot open? Maybe not specifically Orgeron but is there a clause in Riley's contract that states he cant hire a stud recruiter? Cause if so, that'd explain a lot about this and last years recruiting class. Let me guess > "wait until next year". Got it. Or maybe some smart ass remark because you don't know how to answer people like an adult.
This is hilarious

Nowhere did I say that, your name is quite fitting for the above.

You can guess all you want, I've been on the record since last January that 2017 > 2016. If you don't like it, kiss my ass, reach around is your choice but if you do wear a wig like I demanded of you in the past. Go ahead, complain that you got exactly what you wanted.

Read would look like a superstar coach if he had the guys on special teams that Alabama trots out there.

As I've mentioned before, our ST coach's salary is paid to him in lieu of it going to Mike Riley. If he wasn't on the staff, the only change would be that Mike would make ~350k more than he currently does.

Maybe we should just have 2 oline coaches and 3 drunks on staff. Would that make you happy?

As I've mentioned before, our ST coach's salary is paid to him in lieu of it going to Mike Riley. If he wasn't on the staff, the only change would be that Mike would make ~350k more than he currently does.

Maybe we should just have 2 oline coaches and 3 drunks on staff. Would that make you happy?

We'd still have a different coach, and would need to pay him. So if it wasn't Read, it'd be someone else.

Outstanding ended, freaking O-U-T-S-T-A-N-D-I-N-G!

I don't know, can the 3 drunks recruit and coach?

No they couldn't. We had classes of 17 on a consistent basis and had something like 15 of the worst 20 defensive performances in school history under the prior staff.

I've asked this before, but never gotten an answer so I'll ask it again.

It is well established that Riley prefers to have a dedicated ST coach (who also serves in an unofficial Asst HC role - which was the justification of the 2 oline coaches on the prior staff and no one complained).

Given that our ST was improved this year, and we lost our best ST player due to injury, and Riley is more comfortable having Read on the staff - taking all of that into account - why wouldn't you want him to be on staff? And btw, SOMEONE needs to coach ST. Most likely it'd be 2-3 guys that now get to spend less time with their units because poor Spinner doesn't like that the big meanie Read makes 350k.. While that may be an unimaginable salary for some of you, in coaching it is not that consequential. Maybe that's the real problem.

Will Riley be successful at NU? NO ONE knows the answer to that. I'll tell you one sure fire way to guarantee he's not as successful as possible tho... Tell him that he can't have his "right hand man" on the staff. It'd be one thing if you could say you didn't feel our ST was improved despite losing DPE.

Last edited:
No they couldn't. We had classes of 17 on a consistent basis and had something like 15 of the worst 20 defensive performances in school history under the prior staff.

It is well established that Riley prefers to have a dedicated ST coach (who also serves in an unofficial Asst HC role - which was the justification of the 2 oline coaches on the prior staff and no one complained).

Given that our ST was improved this year, and we lost our best ST player due to injury, and Riley is more comfortable having Read on the staff - taking all of that into account - why wouldn't you want him to be on staff?

I don't like him because he is a shitty recruiter. Even Beavers fans will say the guy is a leach.

Most likely it'd be 2-3 guys that now get to spend less time with their units because poor Spinner doesn't like that the big meanie Read makes 450k.. While that may be an unimaginable salary for some of you, in coaching it is not that consequential. Maybe that's the real problem.
FIFY . Yes I understand top rated coaches make this kind of money. Many make a ton more. But Bruce Read isn't a top assistant coach. He'd be out of coaching (or at least at this level) if he lost his job @ NU.

I wasn't asking about the old staff, if there were 3 drunks that could recruit & coach that needed jobs @ NU I'd be fine with it. I thought it was a hypothetical :D

IMO it doesn't have to be Riley's recruiting vs Bo's recruiting. That's like asking what's worse: being stabbed to death or shot to death. Both are equally terrible.

which was the justification of the 2 oline coaches on the prior staff and no one complained).

I complained all the time about this. I thought cotton was a waste just like I believe Read is. But at least Cotton could recruit the state of Nebraska.

I don't like him because he is a shitty recruiter. Even Beavers fans will say the guy is a leach.

FIFY . Yes I understand top rated coaches make this kind of money. Many make a ton more. But Bruce Read isn't a top assistant coach. He'd be out of coaching (or at least at this level) if he lost his job @ NU.

I wasn't asking about the old staff, if there were 3 drunks that could recruit & coach that needed jobs @ NU I'd be fine with it. I thought it was a hypothetical :D

IMO it doesn't have to be Riley's recruiting vs Bo's recruiting. That's like asking what's worse: being stabbed to death or shot to death. Both are equally terrible.

I complained all the time about this. I thought cotton was a waste just like I believe Read is. But at least Cotton could recruit the state of Nebraska.

My point is that he is fulfilling the role that Mike Riley has asked him to fulfill. He is doing what Riley has asked of him. He's assisting with some "assistant HC duties", he's improved our ST play (I've yet to see anyone disagree with this), and he has helped with recruiting (Snyder -stud- and the kicker from Camas -very solid-). This is what he was hired to do. He was not hired to be an ace recruiter - although he was the lead recruiter for Sean Mannion. Could he do better? Absolutely! But it's not like he hasn't be a solid contributor to the staff and someone for which Riley has a great deal of respect and trust.

I'm not a huge Read supporter, but this is probably the 10th thread that I've seen on this topic. My only wish is that we could wait more than 1 season to make determinations on which coaches we like and dislike. They all have different roles and responsibilities. Some you see, and some you don't.

Your claim that OSU fans thought he was a leach may be accurate with the OSU fans that you've dealt with. Being from the Pacific Northwest, I probably have more exposure to OSU fans than you. 3 of my neighbors went to OSU (one played for Riley and absolutely loves him), my best friend's brother-in-law played baseball at OSU and my National Sales Director is a large donor at OSU. What I've heard from them is completely different. There are one or two coaches on our staff that they almost unanimously disliked. Read was not one of them.

My point is that he is fulfilling the role that Mike Riley has asked him to fulfill. He is doing what Riley has asked of him. He's assisting with some "assistant HC duties", he's improved our ST play (I've yet to see anyone disagree with this), and he has helped with recruiting (Snyder -stud- and the kicker from Camas -very solid-). This is what he was hired to do. He was not hired to be an ace recruiter - although he was the lead recruiter for Sean Mannion. Could he do better? Absolutely! But it's not like he hasn't be a solid contributor to the staff and someone for which Riley has a great deal of respect and trust.

I'm not a huge Read supporter, but this is probably the 10th thread that I've seen on this topic. My only wish is that we could wait more than 1 season to make determinations on which coaches we like and dislike. They all have different roles and responsibilities. Some you see, and some you don't.

Your claim that OSU fans thought he was a leach may be accurate with the OSU fans that you've dealt with. Being from the Pacific Northwest, I probably have more exposure to OSU fans than you. 3 of my neighbors went to OSU (one played for Riley and absolutely loves him), my best friend's brother-in-law played baseball at OSU and my National Sales Director is a large donor at OSU. What I've heard from them is completely different. There are one or two coaches on our staff that they almost unanimously disliked. Read was not one of them.

100% agree seattle-sker. My wife is an OSU alum and I've been to a lot of Oregon State games when I lived in the Portland area. Most of the fans that hate Riley are the delusional ones that think Oregon State was a power at some point. From my time dealing with their fan base, it's probably 65 to 35 with 65 loving him.

he's improved our ST play (I've yet to see anyone disagree with this).
What?

Punt Return Offense
2015: 10.36
2014: 15.90

Punt Return Defense
2015: 11.5
2014: 8.94

Kick Return Offense
2015: 17.6
2014: 20.79

Kick Return Defense
2015: 18.89
2014: 21.15

Kick Off
2015: 60.48
2014: 61.31

Field Goal %
2015: 77.8
2014: 68.2

Extra Point %
2015: 95.7
2014: 100%

Punting
2015: 43.64
2014: 41.06

Ummmmmm...we were better in most of those categories in 2014. I have no idea how you talk about improved special teams play.

Given that our ST was improved this year, and we lost our best ST player due to injury, and Riley is more comfortable having Read on the staff - taking all of that into account - why wouldn't you want him to be on staff? And btw, SOMEONE needs to coach ST. Most likely it'd be 2-3 guys that now get to spend less time with their units because poor Spinner doesn't like that the big meanie Read makes 350k.. While that may be an unimaginable salary for some of you, in coaching it is not that consequential. Maybe that's the real problem.

Will Riley be successful at NU? NO ONE knows the answer to that. I'll tell you one sure fire way to guarantee he's not as successful as possible tho... Tell him that he can't have his "right hand man" on the staff. It'd be one thing if you could say you didn't feel our ST was improved despite losing DPE.

You said "Given that our ST was improved this year," I am not sure that is the case Punt rtn defense was worse - KO rtns worse in addition to punt rtns being worse - Yes we lost our big play guy on Punt returns - but nowhere did our special teams standout - especially considering we had a ST coach, in fact I thought there were some opportunities for blocks on punts but he did not see the opening.

Couple that with he virtually does nothing in recruiting and its a questionable hire - I care nothing about what he makes just about what he does

Last edited:
100% agree seattle-sker. My wife is an OSU alum and I've been to a lot of Oregon State games when I lived in the Portland area. Most of the fans that hate Riley are the delusional ones that think Oregon State was a power at some point. From my time dealing with their fan base, it's probably 65 to 35 with 65 loving him.
How long ago was that - the feeling on Riley has changed a lot in the last few years - As far a Read most did not know what he does. Keep in mind this is OSU the fan base is not as rabid as NU fans - I would not be surprised if most of their fans did not know he was even on staff

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT